199
1.4k 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 199 : Equinox (3)
“Hmm.” The cherry-eyed young woman said as she folded her arms in thought.

*Well, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have a powerful ally on my side. Besides...it’s not really like I have anywhere to go or anything better to do.* She thought inwardly. She glanced upwards at him, examining his countenance once more. The man across from her stood leisurely, as though he hadn’t a care in the world.

*Such a lackadaisical attitude. Well, whatever. I guess he can afford to be laid back.* She shook her head, almost half disbelieving that she was about to agree.

“Fine. But first, tell me exactly what it is you want from me.” She replied.

“Awesome!” He said as he walked towards her.

“First things first, I need to fix something.” The golden eyed man said as he walked towards her and casually touched her forehead. She felt a strange sensation overcome her as a wave of energy overcame her body. The lavender haired woman could feel her insides rattle, perhaps even her very soul. The sensation was both jarring and disconcerting, yet it only lasted for a few seconds.

[Class Changed : Doll Mage to Oracle.

All previous class abilities have been retained. New skill / ability tree obtained.

Advanced Systema Access Unlocked.

High Tier Status Granted.]

“There.” He said.

“Oracle? What exactly does this job entail?” The lavender haired woman asked.

“Your job is to see the things I cannot see. And for you to do that you will need some training. You’ve been given one of the most difficult adventure classes to master. To help you out, I left you with your previous skillset as well.” He said as he folded his arms behind his back.

“Okay.. I see. But, how exactly would I see something you can’t? I mean aren’t you--”

“Yes. And right now you can’t, but that doesn’t mean you won’t be able to in the near future. Right now there are many people in this world who have dozens of years of experience and a huge head start on you. If you’re going to assume such an important role, you’ll need to know how to defend yourself to a certain degree. Anddddddddd--” He said as he lifted his right hand, causing a nearby portal to materialize from thin air.

“You’ll need some special training to get there. So, follow me.” He said, before turning to walk into the swirling magical portal.

The lavender haired Oracle wasn’t exactly sure how she felt about this turn of events. Perhaps it was the remnants of her life as an old woman which caused her to feel hesitant. Yet, that was the same reason she shrugged off her apprehension and followed this man into the unknown. She didn’t want to be chained by old mentalities of a past life that may no longer apply.

The two divines stepped into the portal which closed in a blip of light behind them shortly after.

------------------------------

The past few minutes of the festival were spent showering attention on the newest adventurers to grace the world of Adventia. That’s why Agni was surprised to find that she, Shula, Katrin and all the other new adventurers were called to join the group of sixty-something people gathered near the large stage.

“Before you are all the adventurers who have crossed into this realm, starting a new life this year. Some of you started earlier than others, and for some this is only your first few days in this foreign world. Regardless of your status, my hope is that you will all grow into your new lives and find what it is you seek.” Zura said as she started a clap for everyone gathered nearby.

“Whoa! Is that a succubus? That’s a super rare Specialist class isn’t it?” Agni couldn’t tell who shouted this out, but it caused her to blush somewhat. She wasn’t really used to having such praise or attention focused on her.

Soon after this, the newest additions were led up to the stage one group at a time, each section of the stage serving as a platform for all of them. Agni and Katrin both felt flustered as they were pushed along with the group of new recruits.

“W-wait! What’s going on?” She asked aloud, to no one in particular.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s just the auction dear.” A familiar voice echoed from nearby.

“The what?” Katrin asked, her face turning more flush by the moment.

“The auction.” Bracha repeated as she made her way towards Agni, pushing her gently from behind.

“H-hey. Wait. Stop pushing.”

Moments later the Succubus and Scribe were atop one of the eight stages, having been pulled into Bracha’s group so that she could further explain.

“Every year the chapels compete for new recruits. Normally, we would all gather in town during the day of awakening and appeal to adventurers directly. But during the Equinox Festival, the chapels use their ranking and auction against each other for the adventurers they want to recruit.”

“What? Why wasn’t I told anything about this?” Agni asked as she craned her neck, looking for Zura on a nearby stage. As if she’d been expecting Agni’s “what the fuck is this?” stare, she smiled and blew a kiss.

*Ugh.* Agni thought inwardly.

*Ha ha. They’re going to auction you off like a piece of meat.* Shula chimed in.

*Where the hell are you?* Agni replied mentally.

*I’m just going to hide out until things blow over.* Shula replied as the choker on Agni’s chest pulsed with energy, a sign that Shula had hidden herself away there.

*Are you serious? You’re just going to hide?* Agni asked, however Shula ignored her completely.

“A-Agni. What do we do? We’re already at Mystic Tower. I don’t want to go to another chapel.” Katrin asked as she wrapped her arm around Agni’s.

“Oh, don’t worry dear. You always have say over whether you want to join a chapel or not. Besides, many people switch chapels at this time should they get chosen. No one would take it personally.” Bracha explained.

“But… since you’re both valuable classes you will probably get a lot of offers..” Bracha added as she smiled and waved to the people in the crowd. Apparently Gigi, Gates, Merri and Ariadna were nearby cheering their friends on.

“Try not to look so nervous. It’s not like you’re going to get eaten.” A stern voice pierced the clamor of the moment. Agni turned to her right and noticed Oliver Pagnal, the golden-haired elven Archmage.

“And don’t even think about leaving Mystic Tower. Or I’ll hunt you down myself. Both of you.” He said, directing his stern gaze towards Katrin as well.

“Y-yes.” She stammered, clearly overwhelmed by the energy of the moment. Agni could feel Katrin fiercely clutching her arm, she realized that the equivalent of being an idol may not have been Katrin’s strong suit. Especially as a former shy person. Though she was managing, Agni wasn’t faring much better. The energy directed at them seemed to wash over the two in the form of applause and fanfare. It felt like her body was being deluged with energetic energy which made it impossible for Agni to calm her heart. Her blood was pumping and she felt excited, a contrast to Katrin’s attempt to hide herself.

“Now, it’s time to announce the official chapel rankings of Grenvale. Every twelve months the chapels of this great city are compared based on various factors. The chapel with the highest scoring gains the most auction points, that is the right to compete over potential members from these group of people on the stages before you.” Zura explained.

“And now, I’d like to introduce you to the leaders of Grenvale’s eight highest ranking chapels.” She said, directing the crowd’s attention towards a rising center stage.

18