Chapter 14: Settling In
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emarru and Ierra go to sign Beatrix up and get her measurements for Ierra. Julie heads to the bar to check on Sav'akk. She was slumped over the counter with a bottle in her hand. Julie sits near Sav'akk. The Rapterick looks over and raises her head.

"Ya alright over there?" Julie asked.

Sav'akk nods and sits up. The sight of Sav'akk at the bottom of a bottle is a common sight at Moonshine Run.

"we have a new member Sav'akk."

"Really?" Sav'akk stammers and slurs her words. 

Julie nods. The Rapterick goes to sip from the bottle. Julie places her fingers at the rim and pushes the bottle back down on the counter. Sav'akk sighs, slightly annoyed.

"What is she?"

"Aviarian," Julie said.

"Hmm, nice." Sav'akk said looking at the drinks on the wall.

"Her name is Beatrix." the Black Widow said, adjusting her glasses.

"Odd name for an Avarian." 

Julie thinks for a moment and nods, acknowledging that Beatrix is more of a Philian name than it is Avarian. She pushes that aside and looks at Sav'akk. Her curiosity taking over, she asks the Rapterick a question she had thought of often.

"Sav'akk, why ya always gettin' drunk? Other than the usual mission, ya usually here drinkin'."

Sav'akk remains silent for a moment, spaced out. The Night Witch boss lays a hand on her shoulder.

"None of your damn business."

Julie sighs, she hated that kind of answer. So, of course, she wasn't going to take it.

"My business is what ever the hell 'Ah say it is. And 'Ah think we are waistin' coin on all this alcohol for just ya ta be drinkin' it the way ya do. So either tell me and get me ta consider buyin' more, or don't and get it yaself," The Malenterian stated, adjusting her glasses

Sav'akk sits up. Knowing that with the way she looks she cant really go anywhere, not with her body. She sighs and looks at Julie.

"To make me forget," The Rapterickian's tone was low, depressed even. Sav'akk drinks form the bottle in her hand.

Julie is silent, understanding that it's a coping mechanism. "We need to break her out of that eventually," she thought. The Malenterian decides to leave Sav'akk's side and heads to the kitchen. She pours some coffee into a cup and adds some milk, taking a sip after stirring. Ierra walks into the kitchen.

"Hey, Darling."

Julie sinks her head then turns, wearing a smile.

"Yes?"

"I wanted to let you know that I will be in my office to work on Beatrix's outfit." Ierra informed her.

"Ok." Julie nodded.

"Just wanted to let you know where I'm at, incase you needed me." Ierra smiled.

"Hmm hmm." She said sipping her coffee.

Ierra walks out. Julie sips her coffee. "Feels like sometimes 'Ah cant catch a break. This job can be so stressful at times," She thought. She sips her coffee again.

"'Ah wonder where Rose is."

***

Rose is outside swinging her sword around. Jack and Jacklynn are watching. The day is warm with little to no wind. not many clouds in the sky either. A warm, clear, sunny day.

"I like how Rose tries to be like Mama so badly. It's cute." Jack said, smiling.

"Yeah." Jacklynn smiled as well.

There's a short pause as the Yanjung twins watch Rose sword train, She keeps a sturdy form like Julie had taught her before. For a 5 year old, she had a lot of promise and skill in swords. Jack had been reminiscing mentally as he watched Rose. She somewhat reminded him of Jacklynn when they started training back in the tribe. He felt outclassed by seemingly everyone around him, even a 5 year old.

"How long ago did Mama take us in?" Jacklynn asked.

Jack looks in the sky closing his eyes. There are little wooden posts to the area left of the training grounds, Rose is there hitting one with her sword and practicing her special moves. Jack looks back at Rose after sometime, getting the events lined up in his head.

"About 3 maybe 4 years now." the Young Ninja said.

"Right. We were 14 then."

Jack Nods and smiles, Jacklynn smiles as well. Another short silence. Jack sees an opportunity to show his training off to his sister. "I will win this time," He thought.

"I wanna spar with you." He said.

Jacklynn looks at her brother. The ninja hadn't looked back, only looked onward to the training grounds.

"You think you can take me on?" She smiles.

Jason walks out into the training grounds, overhearing Jacks challenge.

"She's right. Your sister is fairly strong, kid."

"I'm not a kid, and she's not so strong. I am too."

Jacklynn walks out to Rose.

"Hey Rose, can me and my brother spar real fast please?" Jacklynn Asked.

"Sure!" The white haired Malenterian said, exited for the fight about to happen.

"I'll beat you this time!" Jack said, confident in his training.

"You're out if your back hits the ground." Jacklynn said.

Jack walks out to the center of the field.

"Got it" Jack nodded.

They get into a battle pose and stare at each other for a bit. Celeste walks out curious about what was happening. She picks Rose up.

"What's happening?" She inquired.

"Jacklynn and Jack are going to fight each other." Rose said excitedly.

Celeste  looks back at the twins, wondering if it's its a form of bonding between them or if they ae blowing off steam at each other. She could quite tell. They leap at each other.

***

Ierra and Beatrix are in Ierra's office. A room at the end of the first set of hallways in Moonshine Run.

"So what are you thinking for your outfit darling?" Ierra smiled.

"Well first things first, it needs to accommodate my wings always being out," The raven said, looking at her arms.

"Of course."

"Something from the Avarian culture would be nice."

"So a leather chest guard?" The pale skinned elf asked for conformation.

"Yeah. Shoulder armor is needed too," Beatrix nodded.

"You'd mainly be flying would you not? it would be hard to hit you in the air."

"That's right. I don't need a lot of protection really."

"The boss like to put every one on some patrol or mission at some point, so I do plan on slight protection, but nothing too heavy that will hinder your flight," Ierra explained.

The dark Avarian nods and Ierra grabs a pencil and grabs a notebook.

"The Aviarian outfit is normally light anyway, Though some changes may need to be made." Ierra said.

Beatrix nods.

"Now what design would you like?" The Lockwood Elf asked. That question had finally set into Beatrix's head what was happening.

"Wait you're making this? Like by hand?"

"From scratch, darling," Ierra elaborated more.

Ierra smiles widely, proud of her work displayed in the office. Beatrix, knowing this new information looks at the showcased outfits on the mannequins. They all seem high quality, A deep red dress with sparkles that fades into a black near the bottom, a travelers tunic fitted with dark brown, almost black, leather across the chest. Even a black kimono with a lotus design on the sleeves and obi.

"That Kimono was a real challenge. I only made if for the challenge even."

"It looks straight from Venforus," Beatrix said, looking at Ierra.

"Really? I can easily tell how it isn't."

The raven is silent. "Does she really not see how good her work is?" Bea thought to herself.

"Anyway, I'm thinking of it being layered with Philian thread. It's very strong. Then the inside would be made of Lockwood fibers for comfortability. Sound good.?" Ierra asked smiling.

Beatrix nods.

"I will have to take your measurements real fast before I can design anything," The pale elf said, grabbing a tape measure and walking to the Avarian.

Ierra takes Beatrix's measurements and writes them down. Afterword, they leave the office. Beatrix heads to her room and relaxes and Ierra looks for Julie, she has trouble finding the Black Widow. Hearing sounds from the Training grounds, she grew curious and heads there, finding her Malenterian boss. She looks at Ierra from taking a sip of her coffee. She was holing Rose in her other arm.

"I will be working on the Birds outfit shortly. I need some materials though, Darkling."

Julie nods and Ierra looks at the training grounds again. In the center Jack and Jacklynn are sparing. Its an intense match but Jacklynn is wiping the floor with her brother. Ierra notices the Bunniserian standing off t the side and walks over.

"Hello darling, how are you?" Ierra asked happily.

Celeste nods.

"That's good. Tired?"

Celeste nods again. 

"You should go rest then," The elf smiled.

Celeste, with out saying or doing anything else, turns to head into Moonshine Run. Ierra looks back at the spar. Jack and Jacklynn are feet apart, Jacklynn grabs two kunai from her thigh sheaths. she throws one at Jack, who dodges it by side flipping. Then he dashes at his sister. Jack slashes at her but Jacklynn blocks it with a Kunai and hits Jack in the chest with a fist, forcing him back. Jack goes for another attack but is blocked again.

"Bro you're good. But not good enough." Jacklynn said.

Jacklynn goes to swing a dagger at Jack's stomach but he disappears and reappears above Jacklynn. She backflips away before he hots her and gets back into a battle pose.

"May want to work on your tailing into other attacks," Jacklynn points out. She was breathing heavy and out of breath,

"What do you mean?" Jack said, annoyed and panting heavily. He didn't like the feeling that his sister was talking down on him like this.

"You vanished before I would even hit you. That's too early. You should wait until just before you get hit." Jacklynn explained.

Jack get's a swirl of emotion. Both feeling like he was being called weak by his sister and feeling his efforts where not enough. He had felt embarrassed in front of everyone. Shane and Jason are next to each other watching the fight. Jason is smiling, watching Jacklynn,

"Who do you think is going to win?" He asked Shane.

"I think Jack."

Jason chuckles.

"Really? Jack? The kid can barely land a hit, and he's usually too scared to do anything in a real fight."

Shane is silent. Jason laughs.

"Look at Jacklynn. She's strong, thoughtful, and strategic. There's no way that Jack can beat her!" Jason contested.

"Yeah I guess."

Theres a brief silence until Jason decides to speak up.

"I can't wait to spar with you." 

"What makes you think you'll win?" Shane asked.

Jason looks at Shane and smiles. Its a smile that's off putting but doesn't feel too hostile. 

"You don't know a thing about me,"

"And is there something that I should?" Shane asked.

Jason remains silent and watches the spar. Shane isn't sure rather or not to feel afraid or not. He too, watches the spar as well.

0