Chapter 75
1.7k 28 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Now that the humans left I can talk freely again.
And there is one particular thing I have to ask Liseti.
So I move over to her and state it.

 

<Isn't it dangerous that this scent won't ever waver? I don't think she will betray us, but forever is a long time. And if this badge gets into the wrong hands...> (E)

 

We can never take this back.
It might become a risk for us.

 

<There is no issue. Those are special orders. But orders can be revoked. The same way the pheromone mark now serves to prove her identity it can be changed into something else. If we inform our brood accordingly that this particular scent is part of a hostile entity it will stop being a sign of hospitality and turn into the mark of a target. And the hunters will be able to track it anywhere. After all, she is marked for life. And there’ll be no escape.> (L)

 

A cold shiver runs down my back.
I'm not sure if Olira should hear about this.

 

<But… Why didn’t you tell me?> (E)

<Because it wasn’t relevant for you to know.> (L)

 

She says this as a matter of fact.
As if there’s nothing to discuss.
However, I can’t leave it at this.

 

<No! Sorry, no! We, we have an alliance! How shall this work out if you’re not telling me about something as important as this? I deserve to be sufficiently informed or I cannot make any decisions!> (E)

<Which is not necessary for such a young being.> (L)

<What!? But, but aren’t we partners? Why are you saying this?> (E)

 

Am I so far below her in her esteem?

 

<It’s not that I don’t appreciate your insight and I am very willing to support you. However, you more than once showed that you tend to react based on personal feelings instead of making rational decisions.> (L)

<But that’s… This can’t work like this! We need to be equal!> (E)

<Then prove to me that you can overcome this shortcoming. That you’re able to overcome your aversions which prevent you from settling for the best solution instead of arranging yourself with something subpar.> (L)

 

What does she mean?
The way she's saying this it might be about something concrete.

 

<And how would I do this?> (E)

<Simple. Produce a scholar and a nectar unit. > (L)

 

I’m seriously stunned.
How does she even come to this?

 

<Why?> (E)

<Because you’re avoiding doing so. You don’t want to produce them, so you don’t. Even if their contribution and the importance of their role is undeniable. They’re important yet you’re avoiding creating them. This is not the way of a princess. So, if you create them I’ll know that you’re not purely guided by your personal preferences. This will serve as proof for me.> (L)

<I-I understand the scholar, but a nectar unit? Those poor things… I don’t want to curse a being to live like this.> (E)

 

My brood are kinda my children.
It would feel wrong to do this to one of them.

 

<Did you know that nectar is ten times as nutritional as the harvest of the mycelium?> (L)

<N-no. But what do you want to say with this?> (E)

<That without the nectar it would be difficult to nourish you to a sufficient degree. The pure harvest is still important for a balanced diet, yet you need the nectar or you’ll lack the necessary energy to keep up with your production. Or would you prefer to get stuffed like princesses were in the past before the establishment of the nectar units?> (L)

 

I stare in shock.
Does she mean I’d be crammed up in a similar way like those poor worms?

 

<I see your answer is no. But you nonetheless rely on nectar. You need it. But instead of ensuring your own supply, you allow yourself to be dependent on others.> (L)

 

She’s right.
I was fine with drinking the nectar while avoiding any thoughts about the source.
But it’s still from them and in the end, I make use of the nectar units.
The same goes for the scholars.
Having my own would ensure where the knowledge comes from.
Formicea may not lie, but they could deny a request and my own wouldn't.
Yet I’m still so unsure.

 

<You have to be aware of this. Otherwise, you might never become truly self-sufficient.> (L)

 

And with this, she leaves.

Liseti didn’t say any of this in a haughty manner.
Behind her statement was a hint in the pheromones that she wants me to be able to take care of myself.
To be independent.
Could this have been her intention all along?

With a heavy mind, I return back to my home.
For quite a while I muse over what Liseti said.
Kyska can’t ignore this and addresses me.

 

<Is something the matter, my princess? Is it about what princess Liseti told you, regarding producing scholars and nectar units?> (K)

 

She was present?
How didn’t I notice?

 

<Yes. I think I should do it. I understand Liseti’s reasoning and it seems to be important.> (E)

 

The most important point is, that I still drink it and can’t see myself completely stopping from doing so if it's really substituting for so much food.
I’d be a hypocrite if I would continue using others without taking responsibility for my actions.
There are even citizens who never killed any livestock but still eat flesh.
Living on a farm I knew perfectly well what that entailed.

 

<If you think so, you should. It would be beneficial for the diversity of your brood.> (K)

 

Sure.

 

<What even is the reason for why I didn’t already do so? I mean, shouldn’t simply thinking about them be enough to cause me to create one of them?> (E)

<Scholars and nectar units are special. The swarm requires only very few of them. Nonetheless, they’re significant. Yet it would be a problem if they’d be produced out of proportion. Because of this, a princess has to specifically choose to produce them. It’s a similar process to the creation of the royal guard but extremely simplified. The template already exists and the mere wish to produce them will suffice.> (K)

 

With this instruction, I try to do so.
I think about the pattern of a scholar and that I want to produce one.
Directly I notice something.
There is a slight shift in my waist and instinctively I know it happens now.

Having successfully solved this task I proceed with the nectar unit.
I think about the pattern and form the intention.
But nothing happens.
There's no shift and I am absolutely sure it didn’t work.

 

<Kyska, I can’t produce a nectar unit!> (E)

<Oh, what could be the reason? Maybe your image was lacking?> (K)

 

To be honest, I know what was missing.
I didn’t really wish for it.
I have such strong aversions to make one that I simply can’t.

 

<You know, the scholar isn’t as bad. But the nectar unit… I don’t know if I can do this.> (E)

<What is the issue, my princess?> (K)

 

Yes, what is the issue?
The issue is that it’s not simply livestock.
It’s my brood.
My children.
And nectar units are only cattle.
This is no life one wishes for their children.

 

<It feels wrong. Creating something to be used like this, as a mere tool. It’s sad. I don’t want to damn them like this.> (E)

<My princess, the nectar units don’t feel “damned”. They are very content with their role and like all members of the swarm find it to be fulfilling to pursue it. They don’t have the wish to act more independently.> (K)

<How would you know? They can’t even talk as crammed up they are! Simply the idea how those poor creatures got entombed in this pen was terrible. I don’t want this to happen to them.> (E)

<This isn’t even necessary. The basic units have legs. They lose them by themselves if they are repurposed into a greater tank, but if you don’t wish for this to happen it would be completely possible to use several smaller ones.> (K)

<But… Is this really fine?> (E)

<Sure. I worked with many of them and never one showed discontent or even distress. They’re truly fine with their existence, my princess. (K)

 

Yes, she might be right about this.
That they’re this simple.
But it’s not like a mother wishes for their children to be as dumb as a cow.
Even if it makes them accept this kind of life.
Making them smarter wouldn’t work out.
I can’t see them being scholars and at the same time cows.

 

<I, I’m still not sure.> (E)

<You don’t need to worry, my princess. There is no reason against this. Why would it be wrong to create living beings which do with pleasure what they're intended to do? Liseti might be right in this regard. You are using the wrong viewpoint. Don’t think about this from the perspective of a human, but as a member of the swarm, or a nectar unit. Because this is what they will be. Not the former.> (K)

 

I know that Kyska is also right.
To a great degree, I’m using the wrong standards.
Just coming from the perspective of a nectar unit, it shouldn’t be too bad of a life.
And if they’re against this I wouldn’t force them.
Kyska and Liseti both have a point.

 

<Will, will they be happy?> (E)

<There’s no greater joy than serving their own broodmother. They will find fulfillment in knowing that they support you through their contribution.> (K)

 

She basically means if I drink their milk, which is weird.
Nonetheless, I get it.
If no one is harmed and everyone is happy it’s just about me and my aversions.
So I start once more the attempt on inducing this specific production.
It would be too much to say that I’m absolutely fine with everything.
Nonetheless, I feel a bit more convinced.

With my now much clearer mind, I think about the nectar unit.
Next, I think that I want to make one.
And then I feel a shift inside my waist.

Hello, little nectar unit.

 

73