Chapter 85
1.4k 16 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

- Farrah -

 

The delivery from Olira finally came.
I still remember how I spoke to her about "this".
I was actually a bit worried when Erys inspected the delivery, but gratefully she overlooked the treacherous goods.
Yet now I should look into it.

Fortunately, the access to the storeroom is not restricted.
The Formicea probably don't even know the concept of "stealing" among their own and the only other non-insects are closely related to Erys.
So it's no problem to sneak a peek.
What I'm looking for should be in a wooden trunk, which I'll now open.

 

"Ah, she truly sent it!" (F)

 

Eggs, milk, pre-arranged flour, and whipped cream.
I'm lacking something sweet, for the flavor, but I'm very certain it's possible to work around this.
After all, we have something sweet here.

I think this should do nicely.

 

"Miss Farrah, what are you doing here all alone?" (K)

 

God, Kyska!
Why does she always have to sneak up on others like this?
I don't think I need to mention that her identity as a life-sized insect isn't helping on that matter.
Even if she's unfairly talking very humanly.
Far better than I am capable of, sigh.

 

<I, I was checking on a certain delivery I received.> (F)

<What is it? Is your accommodation lacking in any way?> (K)

<Ehk, scria!/ Uh, no. And it's not for me, but for Erys.> (F)

<Our princess? Please state the matter.> (K)

 

It was clear that she would directly become inquisitive when it comes to Erys.
She wouldn't say it openly, but she's a bit overprotective in a way that every little thing that might in any way have an effect on her precious princess needs first her approval.
So I don't have much of a choice but to reveal everything to her.

 

<It's supposed to be a surprise. Those are the ingredients for a certain human dish, or rather a sweet.> (F)

"A sweet?" (K)

 

I guess she says it in human so she can be certain about the right context.

 

<Scruh, scriku!/Sigh. It's for a cake. Those are made for special celebratory occasions.> (F)

<What is there to celebrate?> (K)

<It's actually long overdue. Erys was close to turning eighteen when she was... you know what. The eighteenth birthday is kinda special, as it marks something like a social passage. Well, some also draw this line at fourteen or sixteen, but Rowen was a bit overprotective of his little girl.> (F)

"Miss Farrah..." (K)

"Yes, yes. Anyways, it basically marks the point when someone is considered an adult and fully accepted as an individual in society." (F)

<So it is similar to when a princess is starting production?> (K)

<I'm not entirely sure if those two are interchangeable. But it's certainly an important custom that I don't want her to miss out on.> (F)

<I understand. But what is this about a "cake"?> (K)

<Well, I only have the ingredients. It will require that we mix them, prepare the resulting mix, and ultimately bake it with fire.> (F)

<Why do humans always need fire for every little thing? Can't you do anything without it? Our swarm did fine without relying on such an unstable and dangerous element during the last millennia.> (K)

<Ehm, well, at least for this it's essential.> (F)

<As you say. Then I'll begin to assign nurses for the preparations.> (K)

<Oh, I think I'll be fine on my own.> (F)

<Ridiculous. You are princess Honiu's personal nurse. It's unthinkable to allow you to work under such dangerous conditions. If something were to happen to you, who would take care of her?> (K)

 

It was actually quite hard to get some free time from my personal nurse job for this.

 

<Wouldn't I simply be replaced?> (F)

<Only if your life ends or if you become completely unable to work and have to be reprocessed.> (K)

<Kyska, please don't tell me "reprocessed" means what I think it does.> (F)

<Oh, in your case it would probably be handled differently. After all, princess Erys' mental health is more important than caring for one unproductive member> (K)

 

I still see certain very disturbing issues.

 

"Anyway, the preparations will commence soon." (K)

 

Hmm, do I want that the nurses take all the work from me?
Well, why not.
I mean the ingredients were sent in a bulk, so it's going to be quite the big cake.
Fortunately, our cooking station has something akin to a stove of sufficient size.
I lead the nurses on and they perform as effectively as usual.
Now I only have to make sure that Erys won't notice while I prepare all the rest.

I deliberately chose a location that is remote from her lodgings.
We have games, sweets, and an army of servants.
It should be possible to prepare for a party.
Fabric is a bit sparse, but temporal usage as decorations should be possible.
And not to forget about the light stones.
A bright set makes it all the better.
Everything proceeds smoothly.
At this rate, we should be ready in about half an hour.

 

"Whosh"

 

"Screeeh, skreeh!!!" (F)

 

What the hell grabbed me!?
And why am I flying through the air!?
God, please! Please, let me safely reach the ground again!

I franticly gaze left and right and soon become aware that insects, I have never seen before grabbed me.
Four of medium size are attached to all my limbs and move me with quick and steady flaps of several wings.
The guardians at the entrance can only look confused at me when I pass them, as it wouldn't be possible to free me without causing a severe crash.
Which is also exactly the reason why I've stopped thrashing around.
This and maybe this strangely calming scent I'm currently inhaling and that's completely contradicting my situation.

They directly fly with me to the open space within the hive and ascend higher and higher with me.
Oh god, I'm so high that nothing but a bloody pulp will remain if I fall.
Please set me down! I want this to end!

Interceptors of Erys timely follow behind me but are cut off by a far greater number from this other faction.
There seems to be some kind of exchange between them, but they don't follow further.
Eventually, we are arriving at the highest point, in front of a giant hallway.
Wait! I know this pl... Oh, this goddamned bitch!!!

At least it's not as far to the ground anymore.
And I don't even have to walk, as they transport me directly into the chamber.

 

<Welcome, "Farrah". Nurse and mother of Erys.> (U)

<Screak!/WHAT THE FUCKING HELL!?!> (F)

<I hope the transport wasn't too rough. My infiltrators tend to place efficiency over necessary care for the subject.> (U)

<You made abductor drones?!> (F)

<My little ones are specialized in controlling their pheromone emittance. They appear completely inconspicuous to their surroundings or won't even be recognized at all.> (U)

<Okay, let me rephrase that question. Why the heck was I just abducted?!> (F)

<What is this about a special celebration for Erys?> (U)

<You mean her birthday party?> (F)

<Ah, yes. Birthday. What is this about?> (U)

<It's just a small event to celebrate that she got eighteen. You're as well counting one's cycles here, right?> (F)

<Indeed, but those aren't celebrated. This would be detrimental to efficiency.> (U)

<Well, humans favor those small events. When someone becomes one year older it's a good time to celebrate one's life by showering them with praise and presenting small gifts. Isn't it fine to do this much for someone once in a while?> (F)

<Wouldn't it be more opportune to celebrate me in that case? As I was the one who granted life and not the one who is already gifted with their existence?> (U)

 

I can see the appeal.
And not to a small degree because it would mean that I'm the one getting praised.
Though, it would make my efforts appear self-centered.

 

<Not really. It's also a way to show affection for a mother. To prove that everyone appreciates their existence. That's important to hone bonds.> (F)

<So it's a way to boost morale to stimulate better performance. But such a thing wouldn't be applicable to all my offspring. It's impossible to keep track.> (U)

<Okay, I can understand that it might not work out for every single drone, as sad it is, but what about the princesses?> (F)

<Considering how old a princess can become it might put a strain on the hive in the long run.> (U)

<But I'll still celebrate it. The eighteenth is important for a young woman. Also, we're only talking about a small event.> (F)

 

To be honest, I don't think that such a small thing should have any greater impact so I'd need permission.

 

<Then so be it. If such a custom has a beneficial effect on her mentality this will outweigh the effort. Erys shall have her celebration and I'll arrange that Honiu is taking care of for the duration.> (U)

 

Now that I think about it, Honiu's permission might've been more akin to resignation.

 

<But now you should return quickly. It seems as if our offspring is on her way and she's certainly in a troubling mood. We should address this issue at some point in the future.> (U)

 

Damn, I don't even have time to discuss her problematic position on shared custody.
If Erys comes now, as protective she is, she might do something rash.
After all, she thinks I was abducted, which isn't even too far away from the truth.
But she doesn't know about the exact situation and the implications.

 

<Okay, but that we understand us, you're not going to repeat this kind of "invitation" ever aga-...SCREEEHHHH!> (F)

<Goodbye, Farrah! Till our next meeting!.> (U)

 

I was already at it to leave the hall, but once more I am suddenly grabbed from behind and flung through the air.
It seems the matter is so urgent that there's no time for me to walk to the exit.
This doesn't mean I'm fine with this treatment and once more fall into a panic.
Heights were never my forte.
And this doesn't get the slightest bit better when they bring me to the open space with the nursery pillar.
I have only enough mobility with my arms to put them together and pray.
But I have to stop this when Erys comes into view.

 

<Sciiek!/Mum!> (E)

 

She's flying towards me with a small army behind her.
And not just normal messengers, but her royal guard.

 

"Eryes, pleease tell mee that you had a plan and diedn't just wEnt out to storm the queeen's chamber." (F)

 

I know my speech is worse than usual, but at the moment I lack the focus to remedy this.

 

"Ehk..." (E)

"Eryes you neeed to thienk thiengs through." (F)

"But they took you!!" (E)

You seee, I'm compleetely fiene, ief not for thee fact that I'm suspEnded in thee air. So Ie would lieke to contienue thies talk wieth ground beelow mye feeet!" (F)

"Oh, right. But can at least my drones take you over?" (E)

"Scruh, fiene." (F)

 

Erys is incredibly tense at the moment, so I should soothe her in some way.
Even if the idea of being part of such a maneuver in mid-air is making me uncomfortable.
But there are already so many flying drones here that I doubt it would be possible that I'd ever reach the ground would I fall.

So Erys royal guard takes me carefully but at the same time resolute and with open aversions from those who currently carry me.
To me, they're still very courteous and careful.
If they would look more human-like my husband might grow jealous.

So I can finally move back to the ground.
Yet as Erys' place is quite a distance away it takes a while.
All the time, Erys watches me as she's clearly deeply concerned about my safety.

It's very interesting how expertly my Erys can already move in the air.
Considering her former attempts this seemed quite unlikely.
If I see her like this I start to consider Honiu's offer regarding wings.
At least I couldn't fall to my death as easily, which might help against my fears in such a situation.
However, regarding the trouble I saw Erys having with them, I doubt this would outweigh the inconvenience of having to mind them.
Once we reach the premise I have to talk it out with Erys.

 

"God! How many times did you already get abducted this month?! Whenever I look away for even a moment you're suddenly taken!" (E)

<I'm simply a highly sought-after individual.> (F)

<Mum, this isn't funny!> (E)

<Don't be so overly dramatic. I wasn't in any real danger. I guess the queen even fancies me in some way. I'd just wish she would settle for less-intense invitations.> (F)

<At least tell me what this was about!> (E)

 

Hm, at this time the nurses should've already finished all the preparations I've assigned them to do.

 

"Iet might be bEtter ief I show you." (F)

"Scruh, seems there's no choice." (E)

 

I lead her slowly to the prearranged room while giving a messenger a sign to bring Rowen and Toris.
I arranged it so Rowen would just return when I want to get started.
I just hope he didn't get too much of this most recent incident.
It starts to become a little difficult to always reassure him that there's no need to worry when I once again get abducted or pulled into another precarious situation.
Toris on the other side doesn't seem to mind as much.
Which might be a reason to be concerned.
However, with my pheromone sense, I notice that they're there and so everything's going as planned.

 

"Mum, what is this all about? You're terribly secretive and your pheromones kinda mischievous." (E)

"Thee answer is rieght in there." (F)

"Okay, you win. I'll go along with whatever you have there." (E)

 

She walks to the curtain, pulls it to the side, and is thus granted the sight of all the colorful festoons, sparkling light stones, and most importantly everyone she more or less knows in her courtyard.

 

"Happye birthday, Ery!" (F)

"Happy birthday, Erys!" (R)

"Happy birthday, Erys!" (T)

"Happy birthday, my princess!" (K)

<Happy birthday, my princess!> (S)

<Congratulations on the completed cycle, princess!> (M)

<Congratulations, princess!> (Sk)

.

.

.

64