255 A Person in the Shadows
111 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Staring into the shadows, the midnight wolf bared his teeth and finally took a few steps.

Yun Bei Fen didn’t know what was going on and wanted to rush after him, but Yuan Lei hurriedly grasped his arm and shook his head.

"Da Hei’s level is quite high. Maybe he noticed something that we couldn’t discern. Let him check it out first, you definitely can’t rush after him."

Yun Bei Fen was a bit worried. That was Mei Chao Bing’s spiritual beast! What if something happened to him?

Yuan Lei could imagine what was going through his head just by looking at his expression. "Junior martial brother Yun, do you really think that you would be able to save Da Hei if Da Hei can’t save himself? I’m afraid you don’t have that much ability. Even I wouldn’t be able to guarantee that I can do it."

In any case, midnight wolfs were ferocious. Getting one to be a spiritual beast was not an easy matter. It spoke of just how strong Mei Chao Bing was to make that possible. Most likely, this spiritual beast was just as strong as him or maybe even a little stronger if he had really made use of a good opportunity. And Yuan Lei didn’t have any illusions that he was stronger than Mei Chao Bing. As for Yun Bei Fen, it didn’t need to be said.

Meanwhile, Da Hei slowly inched forward, his gaze fixed on a spot in the dark. Among the shadows, he was sure that he could make out the silhouette of a person. Even more so, there was also the faint scent of a person that he didn’t know. Needless to say, at this kind of place, that person shouldn’t be anyone good. If it was truly somebody from one of the other righteous sects, they long would’ve stepped out as well. Thus, this could only be somebody from the demonic practitioners.

Da Hei continued to inch closer but the person didn’t move at all as if he hadn’t noticed him or wasn’t afraid at all. This definitely wasn’t a good sign. That person was probably extremely strong. Da Hei had completely recovered since that fight with Mei Chao Bing and had even managed to advance slightly thanks to his help. But he wasn’t stupid and thought himself invincible. If there was an unknown enemy in front, it was better to be careful. If not for Yun Bei Fen, he never would have gotten into this situation anyway. But since he had promised to protect him, he wouldn’t do it halfheartedly.

Soon enough, Da Hei was close enough to make out that figure clearly. He definitely hadn’t imagined it. There was really somebody standing there but with the blue robe and the dark hair, they almost seemed to melt into the shadows.

The person also wasn’t moving but clearly stared back at him. Most likely, there was some kind of array beneath their feet or maybe they had applied a spell to themselves so that they couldn’t be detected by anyone of a lower level as long as they didn’t move. Even Da Hei had been unable to sense them from further away and had needed to get closer to be able to find them in the dark. That spoke bounds about how strong this person was.

Da Hei stopped, still baring his teeth.

The person continued to stare at him, and then slowly, their fingers seemed to move. It was so slow though, that it was hard to say for sure.

Da Hei growled again and then jumped. The little bunny that had still been sitting on his back hastily jumped to the side and then scuttled away to Yun Bei Fen’s side. Yun Bei Fen immediately picked him up and then stared into the darkness again. He still wasn’t able to see what was going on there, but the growling that had gotten more intense startled him.

He hastily tugged at Yuan Lei’s sleeve, trying to get him to say some reassuring words. "Do you really think that Da Hei will be alright?"

Yuan Lei nodded. "If not, he probably wouldn’t have gone over there and instead would have tried to pull you back." In any case, this was Mei Chao Bing’s spiritual beast. So it would do whatever Mei Chao Bing had told it to do. And rather than confronting the demonic practitioners, he was pretty sure that keeping Yun Bei Fen safe was always Mei Chao Bing’s first priority. After all, wasn’t that why he had left the spiritual beast behind even though having such a strong companion would’ve helped him greatly on his mission?

On the other side, Da Hei bit down on the person’s arm, only to realize that the person still didn’t react in the least as if they couldn’t feel the teeth at all that were sinking into their flesh. Tightening his grip some more, Da Hei looked up at the person, finally getting a clearer picture of their face.

Somewhat unexpectedly, it turned out to be a woman. Da Hei was startled, especially seeing her blank stare as if she really couldn’t feel any pain. As if to prove this point, she reached out, and then grabbed Da Hei by the head, trying to force his maw open with one hand. Clearly, her fingers were bleeding, but she didn’t seem to care.

Da Hei let go and the woman took a step back, melting into the darkness again. This time though, there was a faint flick of light, and then, she completely vanished.

Da Hei stared at the ground and saw the last remains of what had originally been a small transportation array. It was one that could only be used once. Afterward, it would stop functioning, some of the lines even blurred out to the point where it was hard to make out. This person had probably just been spying on them and not being really here to hurt them. It did make one wonder just what the demonic practitioners were planning though.

5