2
51 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reza had called a contractor first thing in the morning and Winny had already purchased new furniture to replace the old ones. 

 Miles and I didn't say a word in his black Chevy truck he had  brought with him from the last place we had lived. It made the ride to school seem much longer and any feeling of nervousness was doubling by the minute. 

 I tried to focus my mind on other things and began scanning the inside of the truck. 

The leather interior was a bit worn out and there was a dent in the dashboard where Miles had slammed his hand into it that one time he lost a football game. 

 I rolled my eyes at the thought of him getting super emotional over something trivial as a high school football game. 

Didn't he have other things to worry about now that he was a vampire? 

 He pulled into an empty parking lot. As we both climbed out of the truck, I could already see the curious eyes watching us.

I could tell Miles enjoyed every second of it. 

He puffed out his chest and gave the girls a wink as he walked by them. 

 I whispered under my breath just low enough that he could hear me.

"Blending? Remember?" 

 He nudged me with an elbow before pushing the front doors of the school with a bit too much force. 

 "Remember? You're the one with the problem?" 

 I hated it when he became jocky Miles. That's probably the reason why I always ignored him at school, but I could tell in a small town like Brady, New Hampshire it was definitely going to be difficult to go unnoticed as his little sister. 

There didn't seem to be any other race around, but white, white and more white. 

 Great. 

 We both grabbed our schedules from the office and headed to our lockers. Because he was pretending to be a senior and I was pretending to be a junior we didn't have any classes together. Our lockers were also located in different buildings. 

 "See ya around May. And please try to fit in," he said as he headed down the hall.

Before I could argue with him, he was gone. 

 The first half of the day was awkward and weird. Everyone kept staring at me like they've never seen a half Asian kid before or maybe they knew. 

But that was impossible. 

Nobody usually thought vampires really existed.

I knew it was because I was different. That it was because of my half japanese side and all the jokes and comments they wanted to say were at the tip of their tongues just waiting for the right moment. 

 I could feel it. 

 I was also use to it from the other schools that I'd attented that were so similair to Brady High so I'd grown numb to those snide remarks.

But it was still edging my vampire to come out and play. Just one snap and they'll never bother me again.  

What would Miles think? 

 I could hear him now already with his snarky comment. 

"I told you so." 

 Ugh.

I wasn't outgoing at all. Extremely introverted and shy.

You'd think being a vampire would give me a confidence boost. 

I wished. 

 Lunch came around and not a single person had spoken to me up until that point so I grabbed a tray, got some food and sat at an empty table. 

 We didn't eat people food normally, but we did at times like these to keep up the charade that we were "normal". 

Whatever that meant. 

 A lot of humans were a lot more psychotic than me and that made me wonder what normal means. 

 As I picked at the rest of my food, only eating half of it to satisfy any wandering eyes observing me, someone plopped into the seat across from me. 

 "Hey. You're May right?" 

 It was a girl from my English class. She had ashy brown hair and pale blue eyes. 

 "Yeah, and your Chelsea from English." 

 She nodded her head then looked over her shoulder. I followed her gaze as she gave a thumbs up sign to a few people sitting at another table. 

 Turning back to me, she smiled.

My brows furrowed trying to make sense of why she was here. 

What was that all about. Was this part of some elaborate plan to embarrass me? 

 Her blue eyes were calming, but the unknown was itching away at me and I fought the urge to flip over the table and throw a big vampire tantrum. 

That would definitely not be blending and Miles would kill me.  

 Right then, the group of people she was signaling to at the other table sat down all around us. 

 Connor and Dan sat to my left. I recognized them from Chemistry. Next to Dan was Liz, who was also in Chemistry with us. 

Liz was giggling and chatting with Chelsea.

They were catching up on all the gossip since this morning. I saw Chelsea blush when Liz swept a lock of Chelsea's hair behind her ear. The intimate way in which they looked into each other's eyes told anyone nearby of their closeness. 

 I could hear their hearts thumping  to a quick rythmn that only they knew. The warmth spreading across their faces and necks, the pacing hearts.

Those two were totally together. 

There was no doubt. 

 "So new girl. How do you like it so far in Brady?" 

 My eyes darted to Connor. I was glad to be a vampire at that moment, because I was feeling their emotions as strongly as the two girls were while I watched them from across the table and I knew if I was human, the others would have known with one look at my face. 

 Dan was studying me as Connor waited for my reply. 

 "Its okay I guess. This is only my third day, but I'm sure I saw everything there is to see here."
 

They laughed.

That was easier than I thought. 

I wasn't good at keeping a conversation up, let alone tell a joke, but they were amused and interested. 

 "Who moves in the middle of the week," 

Dan asked still skeptical of me.

He had a good eye for danger. This boy was going to have a long life as long as he stayed that way. 

 Liz slapped him on the arm.

"Be nice. There's lots of people who move in the middle of the week." 

 Connor nudged me then and my body went rigid at the sudden physical encounter. I held my breathe and every instinct in me was cautious, but within a second I relaxed and fell into the role I was playing. 

"Woah. Are you cold? You're freezing," Connor asked with worry. 

 Dan scoffed, "Thought she came from Alaska. Shouldn't she be use to the cold." 

 The whole table was observing me now. They were waiting for a reply.

I panicked. 

"I'm anemic," I lied. 

 Everyone, but Dan nodded their heads. They bought it. 

Chelsea' s attention was back on me again. Liz seemed a bit jealous, but she bit back on her lip and kept quiet. 

 I eyed the way her teeth nibbled at the pink flesh. Slowly tearing at the thin barrier protecting the weak veins within. 

 I held my breathe as a tiny amount of blood trickled out.

I've gotten use to human blood, but that didn't mean I could control it when a humans fresh blood flowed just a foot away from of me. 

 "I saw you come in with a guy. Is he your brother," Chelsea questioned. 

 Thank God for the distraction. 

 I nodded. "Yeah he is." 

 She grinned. "Well he certainly isn't like you at all. Seems like the jock type." 

Maybe I had it wrong. Maybe Chelsea and Liz weren't really together. Maybe they were after my brother. 

 Oh great. 

 This has happened way too many times that I knew what to expect. They wanted to get close to me to get close to Miles. 

 Now that I knew what they wanted, I had to hold myself back from snarling at the two skanks wasting my time. 

 "Yeah, like a total jerk," Liz added sourly. 

 My brows shot up. 

 "Huh. Most girls flock to him like bees to a hive," I mumbled. 

They laughed. 

 "Well. He is certainly easy on the eyes, but we're not interested," Chelsea swooned while leaning her head onto Liz's shoulder. 

 "Oh." Was all that I could say. 

I was caught in an emotional turmoil they were dragging me through, but now I was certain that they were a couple. 

 Connor leaned back in his chair, balancing on the back legs. 

Another distraction. 

So many scenarios went through my head until he spoke. 

 "Sucks that you're related to someone like that. That's all. You seem pretty normal."

He quickly added, "In a cool way." 

 A nervous smile broke across his face. 

 The others chuckled and Liz gave him the stink eye. 

 The rest of lunch went smoothly. I found out that Liz and Chelsea were a recent item, Connor was freshly single and Dan was seeing a girl from another school. 

 None of them were into sports, but that didn't surprise me. The boys looked too lanky and the girls had other hobbies. 

 I was intrigued when they told me that they were into shop class. They frequently met at Chelsea's to create things for the nursing home. 

 Connor showed me a few photos of their past creations. 

They were good. 

Like you could sell them for a load of money good. 

 Right after the bell rang, they all got up to leave, but Chelsea stayed behind. 

 "If your interested, maybe you can stop by at my place sometime this week?" 

 It was probably a bad idea to get too close to the locals here. It was never good to get too attached. 

 I know I complain about never having friends, but having them made it harder to leave. 

Maybe I was subconsciously choosing not to have any to protect myself.

Chelsea saw my hesitation. 

 "I'm sorry. I didn't consider the fact that you're probably still busy from the move and all." 

She was too sweet. I thanked her for inviting me and promised that I would let her know when I was finished settling in. 

 The thoughtful gesture had caught me by surprise and I started reminiscing about my days as a human. To a time where there was no thirst controlling me or the fight to keep my humanity intact. 

 Not many people know this, but being  a vampire and pretending to be a human being is very taxing. 

 First, we have to be able to channel our inner human and that took me years to accomplish. 

Miles on the other hand needed only a few months and he was back to his old self. 

 That is, all while still being a bloodsucking parasite.  

4