3
45 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You're always nagging at me to do this and do that. I hate it!" 

 I stomped into my room, slamming the door in Miles's face. He'd caught wind that I'd also met some potential friends at school and wouldn't stop bothering me about meeting up with them. 

 "May, You haven't had friends since you became a vamp. Give it a chance. It'll make you feel more human. Even if its just for a moment." 

 I rolled my eyes at his weak attempt to get me out of the house. 

 "Seriously Miles, What's it to you anyways? We're going to be leaving again in 3 years. Might as well prepare now." 

 My miserable outlook in life didn't only affect my brother, but Winny and Reza too. They wished that I would live more "normally" so the others in town wouldn't gossip about me.
 

What's the worst they could say anyways? That I was mad? 

 The door cracked open and Winny's blond ringlets filled the dark void between the door and the frame. 

 "May I come in?" 

 She was the most polite vampire I had ever met. 

No. She was the most polite being I had ever met. 

 "Sure," I sighed. 

I knew it didn't matter whether I said yes or no. She was going to try to convince me to come in anyways. 

 "I overheard the conversation between you and Miles. I have to say, I'm very appalled and it devastates me. No, excuse me. Devastates "us" to hear you being so bitter. Why not try to form a few friendships?" 

 Not her too.

I plopped down on the edge of my bed. Ironic how a never sleeping creature as myself needed a bed. 

 "It's useless. We're just going to end up leaving anyways. Whats the point in all the effort?" 

 She gracefully made her way to the bed and gently sat down next to me. It was like a feather falling onto the ground. That's how light she made herself seem. 

 "It will be a beautiful experience for both you and those kids. You can learn something from them and they can carry a wonderful memory of you that will last them a lifetime." 

 I frowned.

"But it will all end and then they'll wonder why I ghosted them." 

 Winny shook her head. 

 "Look May, I know you've been having a hard time. Even before turning, but I believe in you. I know there is some part of you longing to belong somewhere. This town could be what  you need now. Besides, the only reason we keep sending you back to school is so you two won't lose touch with your humanity. That's the only reason why Reza and I are working too." 

 I fell back onto the bed. I hated it when Winny came to  talk to me. She always ended up being right and the light English accent that traced her every word made it especially hard to brush her off as some idiot. 

 She took my silence as a request to leave and headed towards the door. 

 "Please think it over May," she whispered before she gently closed the door behind her. 

Chelsea had given me her number at school, but I was too chicken to call her. I couldn't believe that I still got anxiety everytime I had to talk to someone on the phone. It didn't matter if I was calling or if it was the other way around. 

Maybe they were phantom anxiety attacks that were mocking my human weaknesses in this new life. 

Assholes. 

 I decided on telling her tomorrow at school and let my phone fall next to me onto the comforter. 

 My door opened again, but this time it swung open with such force I thought the hinges were going to break off.

I didn't have to look to know who had barged into my room. 

 "Haven't you heard of privacy," I sneered. 

 "Let's go hunting." 

 "Um.. Didn't you hear me?" 

"Whatever May. It's not like you need privacy." 

 Miles leaned against the door frame. His eyes waiting for a reply. 

 "Why do you want to go hunting? We just went yesterday," I mumbled. 

 He twiddled his fingers around, cracking his knuckles at the same time. 

 "Ew. Stop that. That's so disgusting." 

 He ignored me and kept repeating the same motions letting his knuckles crack over and over again.

I gave in. 

"Fine. Just stop it already." 

 "Is that a yes?" 

A sly smile began to spread across his face. 

 In a second I was right in front of him and I slapped his arm as hard as I could. 

 He didn't budge. 

 "Is that all you've got sis," he teased. 

 The heat boiled in my body and a snarling sound escaped my lips. 

 "Whoa there hot head. We already destroyed the first floor. Better go outside before you explode," he joked. 

 He made a run for it down the stairs and out the door. I was right behind him. Chasing him into the heavily wooded forest behind our new england home. 

"Is that all you got," he teased.

 Running after him, I repeated, "Why do you even want to go hunting anways. We just went yesterday!" 

 A low rumble erupted up ahead. 

"To cool you down moron. You're always so tense after the first day at a new school."  

I couldn't see him, but I could hear him. He didn't seem to be too far off. 

Maybe 50 miles northwest of here. 

 I ran towards his voice, hoping a miracle would happen and I would be able to catch up to him so I can beat the crap out of him for once.

But as soon as I had caught up to him, there was a change in the atmosphere. 

 I knew something was wrong. 

Miles was crouched with his fangs bared. A wild hissing noise escaping his lips as his eyes turned into lumps of coal. So black that the night sky looked grey compared to it. 

 I followed his gaze onto a couple just a few feet away from him. They had their hands in the air like they were surrendering as they slowly approached us. 

 Standing behind Miles, I took a deep whiff of the air around me. The scent of the maple and pine trees, the moss covered bark, wet grass, dry leaves, fresh water mixed with dirt and debrees filled the air, but there was no hint of a human. 

Only the subtle sweet scent of death of a fellow vampire. 

 My eyes widened as I took in their features. One was very fair. His long white hair perfectly matched his pale cold skin. The white lashes and brows hovered over two fiery red eyes. 

 His partner was the complete opposite of him. Her dark complexion had almost a glassy effect from the vampirism. The large afro atop her head pulled away from her face by a single thick band. 

 The only thing they had in common were the crimson beads that never left our faces. I could tell from the brightness of the red that they had just recently fed.

On humans. 

 "I didn't expect to run into others like us," the man spoke in Miles' direction, but his eyes were fixed on me. 

 I gritted my teeth. It disgusted me to meet any being, who didn't give a single fuck about human life. 

 "We're nothing like you," I growled before Miles could jab me in the stomach. 

 The dark woman who had been interested in Miles now snapped her neck in my direction. 

 "Hm.. Fiesty one now is she, Magne?" 

 The blond chuckled. His white silky hair waving down from the roots. 

 "Now now Nuru. Let's be polite." 

 "I was not being rude," she snapped, but quickly composed herself. 

 "We didnt' know that this land belonged to other vampires," Magne stated. 

He was much older than us. I could smell it on his skin. That's probably why he had such confidence around us. 

 Miles straightened up when he realized that Magne wasn't an immediate threat, but he still kept me behind him as a safety precaution. 

 Even between vampires there were fights and sometimes they would kill just for the thrill.

And if these two were in for the thrill, there was nothing that would stop them from killing us both within a blink of an eye. 

"Where are you from, my boy?" 

Nuru's curiosity was peaked, but it wasn't because we were vampires. She was interested in my brother for other reasons that made me want to puke. I could see it in her eyes. The way she eyed him like a shiny new toy. 

 "New Hampshire," Miles answered. 

 He wasn't thrown by their age or their confidence. His voice didn't falter or wave like mine would have. In that moment I was thankful that he was my older brother. 

 "New Hampshire. That's right across the river over there isnt it? Where exactly are you from," Mange asked, but it was more of a demand than a question. 

We knew that if we didn't answer him. Someone could end up getting hurt. Even worse. Killed. 

 "Brady," Miles stiffly answered back. 

 "Ah. Brady. The quant little town not too far from concord."
 

I raised a brow at his knowledge of the small town we recently moved to. 

 "Actually, it's much closer to New London__," Miles began to say, but I kicked him behind the knee before he could finish. 

"Owe. What was that for." 

 I scowled at Miles. He was giving out way too much information. Who cares where exactly Brady was? They didn't need to know.

Magne smiled. 

"A yes. That's right. I haven't been there in decades. How is it there? Still lovely? Not a single vampire in sight is there?" 

 We didn't answer him, but he kept smiling. The slimey smile never reaching his eyes like a creepy halloween mask.  

 "Well, I'm sorry if we scared you today. I could see we won't be having to compete for food."
 

He acknowledged our whiskey eyes. It was a sign that we were feeding only on animals.

Mange and Nuru turned to leave. Nuru more hesitant than Magne. 

"Oh," he quickly said. His shrill voice still ringing even after he was quiet. 

"Are you two alone," he asked.

 His eyes were darkening by the second and we knew we would be in danger if we didn't answer him in a way that killed his interest in us. 

 "No. We're not alone," I hissed. 

His eyes widened in surprise. 

"That's too bad. You two would have made fine playmates for our family." 

 I was disgusted by his comment, but held it in as best as I could. 

 Then in a flash the two were gone.

Miles and I forgot about why we were there in the first place. Everything, but the recent events had vanished from our thoughts. 

 We raced back home in a zig zaggy way hoping that we weren't leading the two very strong vampires back to our new home.    

2