CH 550-553: I am Setsuna
115 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day had started normally or at least as normally as one could go on the battlefield.

Unlike the other places where Wratharis had the advantage or the Eternal battlefield where Lustburg got the advantage unexpectedly, this place was mostly in a situation of pure equality.

As they had pulled the vast majority of their soldiers there, creating a stalemate. This stalemate was further increased after Lilin beat two Sages alone and nearly instantly.

This was such a big surprise that nearly all fights stopped at the same time as Wratharis retreated and observed the situation at hand while slowly licking their wounds.

Now that Lustburg had taken the eternal battlefield, it was free to enter the flank of Wratharis and it was important to re-assign soldiers where they were most needed.

The fact that Demons stayed strangely silent all this while was another reason for worry as the higher up did not know what the cunning demons were preparing.

Wratharis was truly starting to struggle in the current situation. There were too many unknowns. Their wins might appear numerous on paper but Lustburg had won all the major battlefields.

The situation was going from bad to worse and many could feel like there was another layer of scheme that was being carefully constructed to ensnare them in a web they had no way of escaping from.

Few people who could reach the level of General or higher were stupid and they were able to see that Lustburg seemed to voluntarily lose on some battlefield.

But even so, they could not stop.

For one reason, this was nothing but a speculation on their part. Rather than voluntarily lose, one could argue that they just sent their strongest fighters on the fronts they could not afford to lose.

This might seem the same. But one was done with a plan in mind while the second was done out of helplessness.

This completely changed the intention.

The second thing was that — They could not understand why.

Why sacrifice so much? Why lose so much terrain? Did they have some kind of hidden powerhouses? But even if this was the case it wouldn’t change anything as that powerhouse could not act before they devoured large percentages of Lustburg lands.

In the end, they decided that all they could do was fight. Continue to fight and simply crush all possible plans. Thus, was the way of the strong.

Thankfully, for everyone, today was a beautiful day.

“Welcome, Great Sage!”

“Welcome, Great Sage!!”

Caw!!!

All the higher-ups in the current battlefront and those who were not on guard duty approached, looking at the sky as the majestic cry of a bird resonated in the air, immediately, all of them could see it.

Was it a Bird?

A fish?

No. It was Kun Peng. The Great Sage threw heaven into confusion.

Even to this day, no one in the mortal world knows exactly what was the origin of Kun Peng. Only one of his parents had to have been from the mortal world since he could come down without punishment.

From above, a massive shadow covered them as its majestic appearance was displayed to them all. It was a gargantuan animal, one that could easily be confused with a mythical beast.

The body had an appearance that was eerily similar to that of whales while four large gigantic wings that seemed ready to cover the world itself moved behind him. Despite its massive appearance, its speed was unprecedented, looking as if it was warping space itself with each movement.

All the soldiers breathed in deeply at this display. For an instant, they even had the impression that they were facing a King-ranked being. The level of life between them and the Great Sage was just that massive.

“I am here.”

Its voice boomed shortly before light covered its body and what replaced it was a young-looking teenager. Even so, no one dared to underestimate him.

Still floating above, its wings opened wide, Kun Peng looked all around before shaking his head.

“I am not here to participate in the war. I am simply here to fight.”

The expression of joy on the general face soured rapidly. After all, in the current situation, if they used Kun Peng with his speed and power, it would be possible to assassinate many of the important people on Lustburg's side.

They did not need much. Only Athena. If at least Athena died, the battlefield would completely shift in their favor. She may not be a Duke yet, but thanks to her high capacity, she managed to sign a contract with three high-ranked Spirits and all of them were already at the Duke level now.

The powers they wielded were all wide-scale in nature and made their losses far higher than what should have been.

“Great sage…”

“I will not be stopped.”

Kun Peng sneered and dismissed the general.

None of the Seven Sages were interested in wars in the mortal realm. There was no glory in massacring people weaker than them and they were not citizens of Wratharis in the truest sense.

If Sun Wukong was the King of Wratharis they might have a different stance. But as it was, there was no way they would drench their hand in blood while fighting under the banner of the tyrant.

“Instead…I will fight the Princess.”

The generals who had been discouraged immediately became radiant. If Athena was a thorn in their side that made winning more difficult, then the existence of Setsuna was like a super bomb that could wipe them all out.

If Setsuna started fighting against them, then their only destiny was death.

Death if they did not fight back and death if they did fight back. Many soldiers lost their sleep over this, wondering every time if today would be the day Setsuna stepped on the battlefield.

In a way, her simple existence was already akin to a form of psychological warfare and she presented an advantage simply too great to dismiss.

None of them could fight her.

But — Kun Peng could!

“We are truly thankful. May the Great Sage be ever victorious.”

“Heh…”

Kun Peng chuckled and ignored them. His wings moved once, and suddenly he found himself propelled high in the sky.

Only when he was at the highest peak did he scream his arrival,

“Princess of Wratharis!! I have come to fight! Will you be a coward and stay hidden? Or will you show your valor on the battlefield against I, Kun Peng, the Great Sage who Throws Heaven in Confusion!”

His voice spread everywhere, immediately reaching Lustburg's side.

He could have sneak attacked, he could have hidden, there were so many strategies that he could have employed in this situation to gain absolute advantage.

But he did not.

Why?

Because he had no need for such paltry tricks. Because he disdained such strategies.

Endless arrogance, supreme confidence.

There were many ways one could describe his actions. But Kun Peng did not care. He had long proven to the world that he had the right to be arrogant. He had proven his skills and his know-how.

More than anything — His speed was unmatched at the same level.

He was Kun Peng and today, he was going to humble a Blessed and let them understand that being favored by Fate did not mean anything.

A true warrior should fight for their Fate.

***

Setsuna had been sitting cross-legged and meditating. She had to be in her best state for what was about to happen. The fight against the sage would determine how she would be seen by the rest of the world.

“I need to give my best.”

No, she needed to give far more than her simple best. She needed to be flawless. She needed to show to the world that, even though she was only a Duke, she would never be inferior to her uncle once she ascended to the throne and became the queen.

Even though soldiers could harm neither of them, having the entire population behind her would increase her legitimacy greatly.

It would also increase the chances of Sol occupying Wratharis without too much opposition from the population.

‘I will think about all that when we reach the door of Wratharis.’

For now, she had to focus on her power.

Her zone.

If she had to be honest. Even for her, the power of her Zone was a little too fraudulent. It was a power that made her tremendously more powerful and dangerous than she should have any right to be.

Even the witches, had clapped when they realized the full potential of what she could do.

‘I can do it. I just need to focus.

It was when she was thinking this, releasing a deep sigh to relax her body and her articulations that she heard it.

The shout filled with vigor and confidence of the Great Sage.

“Setsuna…”

Isis, who had been silent as well, looked at her now friend, Setsuna.

“You know why Sol brought me with you, right?”

“Yes. Do not worry. I am prideful but not stupid.”

“Very well.”

Isis smiled as a small ball of energy left her body before entering Setsuna’s shadow and settling there.

Isis was not there to help Setsuna fight against a Duke.

She was there as an insurance. Just in case Lupus decided that breaking the rules was worth it if it was to kill Setsuna.

She had placed a king-level undead close to Setsuna so that it could react in time and protect them should any sneak attack happen.

Lilin had been in the same situation. Though in her case, it was Lilith who had been ready to attack just in case someone interfered.

Finally, even now, Sol was in his dimension with all four directions ready to appear anywhere should the King attack.

Setsuna watched all this calmly,

“Do you know? If I have to be honest. I hope that Lupus attacks me.”

Even if it was dangerous. Even if she had a chance of dying. She hoped Lupus would be honorless enough to attack her or decide that he had no reason to listen to the international warfare convention and try to kill her on the battlefield.

After all, unlike what people thought, in terms of an absolute powerhouse, Lustburg was incredibly and completely superior to Wratharis.

If Lupus dared to attack her…Then this would mean all Kings could attack and once this happened.

Wratharis would fall within the day.

“Heh. Don’t you think it would be funny?”

She snickered a little and started walking away, her sword in hand and her samurai armor on her back.

Today she was not just Setsuna, the Knight of Sol.

She was not just Setsuna, the princess of Wratharis.

She was just Setsuna. Her existence represented an instant, a moment and this is what she would do.

She would show her might. She would show her brilliance to the world itself and they would all have to kneel.

She would make them all remember this instant forever.

“Let’s go!”

.

.

.

When Setsuna walked out of her tent, all the soldiers of Lustburg who had been looking at Kun Peng from afar gazed at her.

The look in their eyes was complicated. There was no outright hate or disregard. Only complication.

If Setsuna had just been a storm wolf.

If Setsuna had just been Sol’s Knight.

And if Setsuna had just been a fallen princess.

None of this would be so complicated.

But she was not just one of those three.

She was something more.

She was a Blessed.

Where did her loyalty truly go? To whom? Were they fighting and dying for a political battle? Why did they have to shed their blood for a princess of another country?

Such sentiments went around all of them, causing them to question the very reason they were fighting and this transformed into hostility for Setsuna.

But not now.

Now they were all looking at her, forming a road of honor as she walked in the middle of it.

Her back was straight. Her gait was steady and her eyes held no fears, no hesitation in them.

She was walking like a proud wolf, a proud knight, and a proud princess, causing all those with negative thoughts about her to simply look down in shame at the pettiness of their feelings.

Truly this was a moment where she was shining brighter than anyone else. Soon, she reached the end of the hay of honor but this was not the end.

Tack~!

A calm sound resonated as a lotus flower made out of ice appeared floating below her feet. Soon, more and more of them appeared, each time Setsuna walked forward, bringing her higher and higher until she reached the same altitude as Kun Peng.

“Great Sage, you have called.”

“Ohoh. How surprising. I wonder what a wolf is doing in the air.”

Setsuna smiled, “Only one man in this world is allowed to look down at me and it’s not you.”

“My… Is it the prince? It seems like he is quite the man to tame a woman such as you. I will pay him a visit after this.”

Setsuna was not enraged by the frivolous way Kun Peng spoke of Sol. After all,

“You will never have the occasion to fight him.”

“Why?” He smirked, his eyes slowly blazing with the intent to fight.

Setsuna smiled. She had the report of Lilin's fight. Certainly, the Great Sages were brazen and arrogant. Years of being invincible at the same level with no one but Sun Wukong as their target had dulled their sense of danger.

If Lilin had a proper fight with the two sages as they used their Zones, then certainly, it would have been very hard for her and she might even have lost. The name of the seven great sages wasn’t for show.

Sadly. They were too arrogant.

This reminded her of something Sol once told her in jest.

{When fighting, unless you are completely confident, it’s better to strike first with your strongest attack before your enemy starts powering up.}

Setsuna laughed. Her laugh was so gentle and beautiful that it was entrancing. But what followed were bitter and cold words.

“Why, you ask? Because you will lose to me now.”

『 Zone –::– Eternal Memories 』

『 A Step into the Present :—: Fimbulvetr 』

 

***

How did it come to this?

Kun Peng asked himself quietly, his face filled with disbelief.

After leaving his sisters and brothers, he had expected many things. The wars in his memories had been filled with excitement and blood-pumping fights with Dukes dying everywhere as they were nothing more than cannon fodders and even Kings being careful to not get swarmed by hundreds of dukes or besieged by other Kings.

This was what war should be like and this was how he had spent his entire childhood.

A bastard, born from parents of different races he did not know, he was born blessed with the ability of his two races. A perfect hybrid so to speak and while he did not know his parents, they had left him abilities that allowed him to roam the battlefield and survive every time.

Kun Peng.

A name composed of the two forms he had. One that allowed him to fly in the sky and the other that allowed him to swim in the sea.

A younger, much more inexperienced he once fought one particular battlefield. He did not remember who was fighting or even why. All he remembered was joining one side as a mercenary to simply survive and get money for food.

It was there that he saw her.

A woman with fiery hair and a proud gait, clad in silvery light, and charged with electricity, she stood on the battlefield and swept everything in its way.

It was just a projection. A video taken and saved from centuries ago. It was just nothing more than a succession of pictures. But those pictures are what changed his destiny.

Her name was Nent. She was a Phoenix and she was undoubtedly the fastest being below the level of Demigod.

He realized then what kind of path he had to take if he wanted to survive longer.

Speed.

Absolute speed.

Being fast means survival.

Being fast means the ability to toy around with your opponents.

Being fast means being strong.

This became his truth and the path he chose to take and finally, he became a Duke.

Realizing the first step toward his dream.

Speed was King.

Speed was absolute.

Even after he met Sun Wukong and was completely beaten up by him, this belief did not change and became even stronger. After all, Wukong only won by being even faster than him.

This was how he became one of the Seven Sages and chose his title.

Peng king, Great sage throwing Heaven in confusion.

An arrogant title as he was neither a King nor able to throw all the heaven in confusion. But this title was not just arrogance. It represented his dream. His aspiration, the goal he strived to reach and surpasses.

This was why, deep down, he had been looking down on the war that was happening here.

His goal had never been to compare to mere mortals who knew nothing of the upper worlds and still saw Duke as something to revere.

No matter how bloody the war became, he saw all of this as nothing but a joke and he was sure that he could walk sideways if he so wished on any battlefield even if there was a King present.

This belief though — Was currently being put to the test by someone he did not even expect.

Looking down, his eyes stopped at the Golden-haired young girl who was facing him with a calmness clear in her eyes.

Even though he was flying high above in the sky and she was nothing a wolf standing on the earth, he had the impression that the two of them were looking at the same horizon.

No. They were not looking at the same horizon. Even though he was fighting her, even though she was looking at him, her gaze was elsewhere, as if he was simply not worth considering.

At most, she would send him a look filled with pity.

“I must say. I might have lost against anyone else. But you are the best match-up I could have ever asked for.”

Kun Peng gasped slowly, his breathing hurried.

Speed was King.

He believed this Truth and grew on him.

But there was another truth that existed.

Speed was King. But — Time was supreme.

This sentence appeared in his mind as he looked around himself, a world filled with monochromatic light.

A world where his most prized speed became meaningless as one instant was stretched beyond infinity.

A still world where time and space lost all meaning.

Indeed. This girl was without a shadow of a doubt his Nemesis. An enemy he could not overcome.

“Then. Shall we end this beautiful moment? As interesting as this is, I have a reputation to uphold. It wouldn’t do if people thought I struggled to win against you when Lilin managed to destroy two of you in a second.”

The girl spoke nonchalantly, only now pulling her blade from its sheath,

“Do not worry. I was already told that I should not kill you. We will soon become allies after all.”

Kun Peng smiled bitterly. Unable to even express anger at the complete disregard he was being served with.

After all, He had served her with the same disdain at the start and perhaps in reality, acted even worse than this. Even beyond that, he had been disdaining all the participants of this war.

Now he was simply being slapped by the cold and hard reality.

Was it what they call Karma? It was clear that he was being for his arrogance and complaining about the injustice of the situation now would do nothing

How did it come to this?

Why was someone as esteemed as him in such a pitiful situation? Being mocked and laughed at by a girl who was not even half his age?

He thought quietly as he tried to remember how this all started.

Then he realized.

‘Ah…’

It was indeed then — From the very moment he stepped on the battlefield.

***

Kun Peng was completely paralyzed by Setsuna’s domain. The only reason he could even think and speak was because of his own speed.

He remembered clearly how high and mighty he had been when he came. But now…Was he truly about to lose? Like this? Without even being to show the slightest skill?

He refused this. He rejected this reality. He would not go down without a fight.

‘Kuh~!’

His aura rose as he tried to move forward, even if to take a little step in this world where time itself was frozen.

His fingers started to wriggle a little and he was sure that if he was given more time, just a little more he might have broken free.

Sadly for him, the one controlling time in this place was Setsuna.

『 A Step into the Past :—: Temporal Clones 』

“Ah…”

A sigh of despair leaked from his mouth when he saw two clones appear next to Setsuna.

Kun Peng was no stranger to such a sight. After all, Wukong was also an expert at using the clone technique. But this…This was something different.

All of Wukong’s clones were inherently weaker than him. Furthermore, they even weakened him slightly. The more clones he brought, the weaker they were and the weaker he himself became.

But…

“How?”

He asked in disbelief. Unable to comprehend the sight that was in front of him.

All of Setsuna’s clones…Were as strong as her.

More than that. Setsuna herself did not grow weaker in the slightest.

How could such a thing even be possible?

Was it what it means to be a Blessed?

To be able to break all reasonable rules as they wished simply because they were favored by Destiny?

Setsuna, watching the despair cloud Kun Peng's face, did not bother answering. Once again had clearly told her that only stupid people went into exposition to explain how all their skills worked to their enemies. This was simply asking to be smacked by Fate itself.

The three Setsuna surrounded Kun Peng, all of them raising their swords high in the sky.

Whooomm!!

A vibration-like sound started to spread, followed by the sound of Lightning flashing.

Setsuna's body itself was surrounded by bellowing streams at high temperatures. She had spread the domain as far as she could to cover the entire battlefield and as a result, the time she could keep it open was terribly shortened.

Even so. This was more than enough.

“Kun Peng. Let’s fight once again later once this war ends. This time it will be a true fight. For now though…Please be captured quietly.”

No sooner did she finish her phrase than she swung her sword and released her domain. The release itself of her domain was a powerful attack in a way as the contrasting temperature gave birth to an incredibly powerful attack.

“Don’t die.”

As Setsuna released her domain, Kun Peng was allowed a very small fraction of time of freedom.

His mind moved at lightning speed, giving him the impression that everything was coming far slower than it should be.

He thought and thought again. But he realized that no matter how high his perception was…He was not fast enough.

He could not escape.

Bitter thoughts filled his mind as he realized that he only had one survival route.

He immediately released his human form, light covering his body as he started transforming back into his True form. But even that was not fast enough and he knew that.

Sadly this was the only thing he could do if he wished to not die as Setsuna said.

Boom!!

The world trembled as a loud explosion seemed to cover all directions. Had Setsuna not redirected her might toward the sky, more than half the soldiers on both sides would have been slain or terribly wounded at least.

But none of this happened. All they could do was look high at the beautiful sight of a rose of smoke blooming far from them.

This was followed by the mournful smile of a half-transformed Kun Peng as his body was shredded and wounded so much blood seemed to rain down from the sky.

Many generals and soldiers trembled in fear, be it humans or beastmen. Some even lost control over their blabbers while others felt their legs go weak and fell on the ground unable to speak.

They could not understand.

They were unable to understand.

From their perspective, everything happened in just a flash.

— In just an Instant.

They remembered Setsuna approaching Kun Peng while leaving ice lotus steps behind her as she walked in the sky.

Then they saw the two of them discuss lightly.

When it reached that part, all of them squared up. People were already prepared to create barriers to block the shockwaves from the battle that promised to be an epic fight between two powerful Dukes.

Some others were preparing to launch a sneak attack against the other side by making use of the confusion that was sure to spread.

But…

One moment they were about to fight and the next moment something akin to an explosion of apocalyptic proportions rushed and Kun Peng lost.

Kun Peng indeed lost.

The moment this realization actually reached the brain of all those present, a flurry of movements immediately happened.

“Save the Great Sage!”

“Protect the Fiancee of the Crown Prince!”

Two opposite orders were sent from either side and soldiers fought their horrors to act as they were ordered.

“Stop! Are you crazy!”

The Dukes from either were ready to attack as well but Wratharis was forced to stop when a few of them actually remembered who they were facing.

Even if they wished to act…It was impossible for them to attack Setsuna.

The humans also stopped when they realized that it was actually the beastmen who had to somehow protect themselves from Setsuna rather than the opposite.

This created another awkward situation as the two armies were facing each other while Setsuna stood above.

Neither knew if they should attack or not and what would happen if they did.

“Everyone.”

They all stopped.

Floating there was Sestuna, holding in her hand the bloodied and nearly unconscious body of Kun Peng.

“My name is Setsuna.”

An overwhelming aura started to spread from her body as her form started to change. She slowly became bigger. Her fur covered her full body and soon…What stood in front of them was a giant 10-meter-tall Golden Wolf.

The voice of Setsuna changed, becoming cold, almost guttural. Closer to a growl than anything else.

“Remember my name. Remember this day. Never forget this moment.”

The soldiers of Wratharis trembled.

This appearance.

This power.

This was something they could never forget.

This was an appearance oh so similar to that of their King. Be it current or past.

“My name is Setsuna Ira. Rightful heiress of the throne and Future Queen of Wratharis.”

The weather started to change, dark clouds gathered in the sky and soon, snow started to fall.

“My name is Setsuna Ira. Fiancee of Sol Luxuria and Future Queen of Luxuria.”

Two messages seemed to be contradictory but at the same time full of truth. For those two identities indeed belonged to her.

“By the authority bestowed to me by the goddess and my future husband… I hereby declare a ceasefire. No more fights will be allowed in this place. Put down your weapons. Those who refuse…Will be considered as rebelling against me.”

Silence filled the battlefield.

Soldiers gazed at each other, lost about what to do.

If Setsuna had dared to say such things in the past, they would have simply mocked her while laughing at her face.

But after such a display of power and authority…Their mind was so shaken that they were lost about what to do.

Should they listen to her?

They were still hesitant. Thankfully, this very moment was not just something that was thought of on the fly.

“Soldier of Lustburg. Obey our future Queen. Put down your weapon!”

Athena's youthful voice spread. Her authority while technically lower than that of Setsuna was the tipping point that allowed them to make their choices.

“Soldiers of Wratharis. Obey the Blessed chosen by the goddesses. Put down your weapon!”

A Kitsune who was part of the high-ranked soldiers also shouted on Wratharis' side, causing all the soldiers to look at each other before obeying the order.

None of them wished to fight and die in the first place and now they had an excuse since the order was given by their direct higher up.

Looking down on all this…Setsuna smiled bitterly.

Truly— Her mate was becoming more and more terrifying.

On that day…Peace came unexpectedly on the main battlefield.

No one knew how long it would last but…the name of someone began to spread through the world in the way she wished.

Her name was Setsuna.

The one who lived in the moment.

She was not the eight-year-old girl who fled from her country covered in tears and blood.

She was not the slave who acted as the knight of the prince of Lustburg.

She was Setsuna Ira and she would become a Queen.

0