Su He
512 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Elder Sis, I'm sorry!"

Su He was kneeling on the ground in front of his sister. Su Rong wasn't merciful and had dragged him by his ear back to her villa where he received an earful of reprimand.

Mu Chen watched the entire procession with extreme amusement.

"Just how many times do I have to punish you?" Su Rong rubbed her forehead. "I let you oversee the banquet, but you turned it into a sparring match. Is your brain filled with water?"

Su He held his head down in shame.

Su Rong glared at Su He. "Today, not only did you make a mess at the banquet, but you also embarrassed my friend."

"Elder Sis, I did it for you."

"For me?" Su Rong was stunned. "What are you blabbering about?"

Su He glanced at Mu Chen. "It's the first time you brought over a male friend." He turned towards Su Rong. "Everyone thought he is your―I just wanted to make sure that he is worthy…" His voice trailed off.

Mu Chen's face twitched.

Su Rong's face became a bit red, but soon her expression turned cold. "Do I need you to manage my affairs?" Su Rong twisted Su He's ear once more. "What's more, Mu Chen and I are just friends."

"Aaah!" Su He yelped. "Elder Sister...Aaah! C-can you at least use the other ear? W-what if it falls off?"

"Hmph! You deserve it." Su Rong snorted. She turned to Mu Chen and bowed slightly. "Brother Chen, you got into trouble due to my negligence. I'm sorry."

"It's alright." Mu Chen said. By now, he had understood the heart of the matter. After entering the secret realm, it was unknown whether everyone could make it out alive. So the Su Family Patriarch arranged a banquet for the entrants, as a form of commemoration. Su Rong was going to host the banquet, but because Su He insisted, she passed the role to him.

However, Su He got bored playing the host and started looking for ways to liven things up. When Mu Chen arrived at the banquet, Su He saw him. Because Mu Chen had come late at night, Su Rong didn't have the opportunity to introduce Mu Chen to him. But the entrance that Mu Chen used to enter the hall was the rear entrance which could be accessed only through the inner residence. Su He was able to guess Mu Chen's identity.

Su He was curious and decided to observe Mu Chen. But aside from being handsome and able to eat, he didn't notice anything special. How could such a person be worthy of his sister? Concerned for his sister's future, he decided to take matters into his own hands. On one hand, he could stave off his boredom, on the other he could also test Mu Chen. It was killing two birds in one stone. What could go wrong?

Someone knocked on the door. Su Rong frowned for a moment then motioned at Su He. Su He stood up and adjusted his robes.

"Come in," Su Rong said.

A maid came in and bowed. "Young Lady," the maid said, "everyone's waiting for you at the banquet."

"I know, I will be there soon." Su Rong dismissed the maid but furrowed her brows. The maid didn't say it explicitly, but she understood. Without anyone to supervise, the banquet was getting out of hand.

"Brother Chen," Su Rong said, "I had arranged a table for you, but it seems unnecessary now." She turned to Su He and glared at him. "Brother Chen is new here. You can show him around. I have to go and preside over the banquet. Don't cause any more trouble."

"Elder Sis, don't worry." Su He patted his chest. "When have I ever gone beyond your words?"

"Ghosts can trust you," Su Rong snorted. "Brother Chen, please keep an eye on him for me. If he takes one step out of the line, break his legs."

Su Rong left without giving Su He a chance to protest.

"Phew!" Su He massaged his ear. "Saved at last."

Mu Chen looked at Su Hen's exaggerated behavior and felt funny. "Are you so scared of your sister?"

"Haha!" Su He looked embarrassed. "You don't know. Elder Sis, she can be aggressive at times." He looked at Mu Chen, "Are you really not my brother-in-law?"

Mu Chen had an urge to beat Su He, but controlled himself and shook his head.

"It's a pity." Su He sighed, looking disappointed. "If I had a brother-in-law, things would have been easier. Hehe, as long as he tossed Elder Sis around day and night, how would she have the energy to―ow!" Su He cried and rubbed the back of his head.

Mu Chen lowered his hand. "Are you looking for a beating? Had I known, I would've let Su Rong punish you more. Should I tell her what you said?"

Su He's face turned stiff. "Brother Chen, h-how can you say this?" If his sister knew what he was saying behind her back, wouldn't he be finished?

"Then behave."

Su He nodded like a little chick. "Y-yes. Brother Chen, you are right."

Mu Chen looked at Su He and his face twitched. Why did he feel like he just landed himself a younger brother? He chuckled. "Your siblings' relationship is good." Although Su Rong was angry at Su He, she cared for him. And while Su He was aggrieved by the punishment, he didn't hate his sister at all. Seeing them, Mu Chen wondered how his little sister was doing.

"That's a given." Su He stared at the ceiling for a bit. "Elder Sis has always taken care of me since I was little."

Mu Chen raised his eyebrow. "And yet you won't stop making trouble for her?"

"That," Su He's face was red, "I can't help it. Like they say―a leopard can't change its spots." He coughed. "Come, let me show you around the Su Family."

Su He and Mu Chen chatted with each other as they explored the Su Family estate. The Su Family was quite big and had been established in the capital for centuries. The current Patriarch of the Su Family was Su Rong and Su He's Father. But he had only recently become the Patriarch and had been on the seat for just a decade.

Mu Chen soon noticed that Su He's notoriety as a troublemaker wasn't empty talk. Wherever they went, people would try to avoid them like the plague. Some even turned their backs on them, when they saw Su He coming. When questioned, Su He bragged how he had pranked several of them. His victims ranged from young maidens of the family to old Elders. But because he was the Patriarch's son, they could only tolerate it. It was no wonder why Su Rong had a headache about him.

The two of them came to a remote area. Unlike other areas, this one wasn't as developed and looked like a rustic village. The houses here were more like huts huddled together without much thought. The air here was hot and billows of smoke tottered into the sky through the chimneys. The incessant pitter-patter of metal hitting metal filled the entire village.

"This is where the artisan division of the Su Family lives―they are a weird bunch," Su He said. "Most of them live like ascetics without care for fame and fortune. But they are passionate about their craft. Ahem, let's not disturb them." As a professional trouble maker, Su He was well aware of where he could cause trouble and where he shouldn't.

Su He wanted to leave, but Mu Chen was curious. He was reminded of the flood-dragon armor that was still in his possession. He had once talked to Gao Ren when they were on the ship, and he had promised to find Mu Chen a suitable craftsman. But before he could bank on the promise, Gao Ren left without a word.

Mu Chen looked at Su He and decided to give it a try. "Hey, can you help me craft something?"

"Brother Chen, if you want equipment, I think I can arrange it," Su He said.

"I already have the material," Mu Chen said. He had tested the flood dragon's hide and was quite satisfied with it. "I just want a pair of arm guards, nothing complicated."

"Then give me the material, I will go ask," Su He said. "I must tell you though. Those bunch of craftsmen are very eccentric and if they refuse―I can't help it."

Mu Chen took out the two pieces of armor and handed them to Su He. Su He took the pieces of broken armor and went inside the largest hut. Soon he came out with a haggard-looking old man with a cane.

The old man was examining the pieces of the armor as he walked. When he saw Mu Chen, his eyes twinkled and he hurried forward.

"Brother Chen," Su He said, "this is Master Hui. Master Hui is the head of our artisan division."

"Young man, t-this broken armor...it belongs to you?" The old man was so excited he could barely talk, but his spittle flew everywhere.

Mu Chen was overwhelmed by the old man's enthusiasm and took a step back. "Yes."

"R-really?" Master Hui was shocked and looked at Mu Chen with a keen eye.

Mu Chen couldn't help but become vigilant. "Does it matter?"

Master Hui saw Mu Chen's vigilance and smiled. "Young man, there is no need to be nervous. I am just curious. Can you tell me how this armor was destroyed?" He pointed at the edge where the armor had been cut.

"Oh, that?" Mu Chen shook his head. "I don't know―I found it in this condition."

Su He was curious. "Master Hui, does it matter how the armor was destroyed?"

Master Hui raised the broken pieces of the armor. "Do you know what material this armor is made of?"

"I don't," Su He said.

Master Hui turned to Mu Chen.

"I don't." Mu Chen said. "But I couldn't damage it and knew it was very tough, so I kept it."

"You are smart." Master Hui smiled. "This armor is made from the skin of a flood dragon. It's very valuable."

Su He almost lost his balance. "What?"

Mu Chen also pretended to be shocked. "A flood dragon?"

"Hehe!" The old man chuckled at their reaction. "Do you know what dragons are known for?"

"Their defense?" Mu Chen said.

"Impenetrable defense," Master Hui corrected. "In the legends, the dragons not only have a high physical defense but they are also said to be immune to all sorts of magic art."

"Then what about this armor?" Su He asked.

"As the dragon's distant relatives, the flood dragons also share these characteristics to an extent," Master Hui said. "This armor is very strong. Once spiritual qi is circulated through it, its defense should have reached unimaginable heights."

"B-but this armor had been cut in two." Su He pointed out the anomaly.

"Precisely. The cut is so sharp and smooth. It doesn't look like a result of some magic art. But if it's a weapon, it must be very extraordinary." Master Hui's eyes turned red in fervor. "I daresay it might be a divine weapon."

"A divine weapon?" Su He couldn't but exclaim.

Master Hui looked at Mu Chen. "Young man, did you find any clues to this weapon?"

Mu Chen coughed. "Senior, like I said, I only found the armor. I don't know anything about its history."

"I see." Master Hui sighed in disappointment and mumbled. "Such a pity..."

Even Su He looked disappointed.

If the two of them knew the divine weapon they were talking about within an arm's reach, would they jump in excitement? But Mu Chen was in no hurry to find out. "Senior, it's good to know and all, but can you use this broken armor and craft something?"

"Ha...look at me, I almost forgot." Master Hui chuckled. "The hide has already been processed. Although the armor has been divided in two, there is enough material..."

After Master Hui took Mu Chen's measurements, Su He and Mu Chen left. Su He wanted to take Mu Chen out in the city to have fun, but Mu Chen refused.

"Brother Chen, then how about we have a spar?" Su He said. He had confirmed there was nothing between his sister and Mu Chen, but he still wanted to fight him.

Mu Chen raised a brow. "You, a spirit condensation cultivator, wants to challenge me who isn't one. Do you have any shame?"

"Hehe, Brother Chen, I can tell you are not simple," Su He said. When they had faced each other, Mu Chen was too calm, making him curious if Mu Chen had some moves. "Moreover, since you are entering the realm, if you run into other cultivators, will they care?"

"Aren't you afraid of getting injured and missing the opportunity to enter the realm?"

"Brother Chen, you must be joking." Su He chuckled. "It's just a friendly spar, not a life or death match. How about it?"

"Alright," Mu Chen said. "Let's go to the arena then."

"The arena isn't good. Father had it locked temporarily. Let's go to your place, the courtyard should be big enough."

Mu Chen and Su He came back to where Mu Chen was staying. But they were surprised to see that there was already someone standing by the entrance.

11