47. ~Panic~
698 6 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Who is your favorite character? (So far)
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.

Chapter Ten

Sasha knocked on Eva’s front door, wishing she stood in front of Yatsu's place instead.

The door opened and Eva's mom poked her head out, her brown hair, freshly cut, sat on her shoulders. She wore a tee-shirt and skinny jeans, again, she looked too young to be a mother.

“Sasha! Come in! It's getting colder out there,” she ushered Sasha in the house. “Eva's almost ready, it's rare for you to walk to school together.”

“My boyfriend is staying home this week,” Sasha said.

Eva's mom chuckled. “I feel sorry for your parents, someone your size saying she has a boyfriend-”

Says you.

“Mom!” Eva's voice echoed from down the hall. “Could you give me a hand?”

Whoa, I've never heard Eva call out like that.

“You go help her,” Eva's mom said, catching Sasha's surprise. “I'm sure she wouldn't mind.” Sasha placed her bag down, and kicked her shoes to the side before sneaking to Eva's room.

“Mom?” Eva called out again. Staring into her dresser's mirror, she held up her hair behind her. She was still in her PJ's.

“I can help with that,” Sasha said from the doorway.

Eva spun around and her eyes lit up. “Sasha!”

Sasha walked in and went to work, noting that Eva had dolled up more than usual. She stunk of perfume too.

“Planning on dating someone today?” Sasha asked.

No, I bet she's going to-

“I'm going to see Braxton after school today.”

Sasha stopped what she was doing and glared at her through the mirror.

“No,” Eva panicked. “We're broken up, I just... want to see him. Make sure he's okay,” Eva hung her head and twiddled her thumbs.

You wouldn't be dressing this nice for a little visit, Eva!

Sasha went back to work on Eva's hair. She can't go alone. “Then I'm going with you.”

“What?” Eva's eyes widened in the mirror before she spun around. “Why?”

“To make sure my best friend doesn't do anything stupid,” Sasha answered and gestured for Eva to spin back around so she could finish her hair.

Eva obeyed. “You aren't going to hurt him, are you?”

A shudder crawled through Sasha, and she hid a small grin while applying the finishing touches.

“How is it?” Sasha asked. Changing the topic.

Eva admired herself in the mirror. “I look like a model.”

“A pajama model,” Sasha laughed. “Hurry up and get dressed, I'll wait outside.”

Sasha left the room.

“Sasha,” Eva's mom called her over to the kitchen.

Sasha rolled her eyes but wandered over and sat down.

“I'd like to meet your family. You've been a good friend to my daughter and-”

“My parents are never around,” Sasha interrupted.

Eva's mom raised an eyebrow. “I heard you had sisters? Surely your parents come home and fix you something to eat.”

Sasha shook her head. “That's me.”

Eva's mom opened her mouth but closed it again.

Why now? Sasha looked Eva’s mom in the eye. “Mom and Dad are always at work. They come home once every two months and stay a week, tops. They are never home. I've been taking care of my twin sisters since I turned thirteen. Before that, we had a nanny, and she...” Sasha clenched her fists. “...we didn't like her,” Sasha finished, and let it go before her mind wandered to far.

Eva walked into the kitchen carrying her backpack, wearing a coat.

“Ready to go, munchkin?” Eva's mom asked her.

Eva blushed. “Don't call me that in front of...” she trailed off. “Sasha, let's go,” she turned toward the front door.

Sasha joined her and pulled on her shoes.

“I love you!” Eva's mom called out from the kitchen.

Eva's blush deepened. She took a breath and shouted back, “I love you too.”

“I love you more-”

Eva slammed the door closed behind them.

19