Chapter 14: Wedding Bells Rang, A Night of Mixed Emotions Before The Ceremony
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I will be posting not at the adjourned schedule for the time being because of my exams. I may or may not post another chapter for the following week because of it. I hope you enjoy this week's chapter nonetheless. Do check out this chapter's illustration from the glossary.

 

Lenna POV 

 

“Do you, Lenna Esmond, take Alvar Flammia as your wedded husband..”

 

Here I am….

 

“In both sickness and health, in happiness and sorrow. Shall the two of you live as husband and wife in the eyes of God, and forever more,”

 

I was standing there, staring blankly at the bible the priest was holding with a heavy heart. And next to me is my newly “wedded husband”, Alvar. Wearing a black shirt and a Vermilion colored tie, while the rest of his attire, vest, suit, slim pants are all Pearl white. 

 

And as for me.... A Pristine White dress with an Illusion Neckline, brandished with a simple A-Line bottom part. Flowing down in layers of Satin cloth, it made the dress look like layers of flower petals. When I took a glance at him...

His eyes contained discomfort, those Amber eyes entangled in the looks of his face. His stiff posture as he kept still. Although, his neck was slightly bent down as his eyes were half-closed, his thin lips are shut tight. Standing on the altar while our families are behind us, sitting as they watch our union being held. 

 

It was a private wedding, and of course, it’s held in the North Region. A five-star hotel which is the Flammia Family’s property, one of their many businesses in Bremerwood. Fancy was written all over it, I have seen many celebrities in Bremerwood come to this place on TV. I have heard about it but I have no idea that its owner was actually the Godfather of the Flammia Family himself.

 

Time flies fast, it was only a few weeks ago that I stood there in the middle of the warehouse. Yelling out to agree to this arranged marriage, and after that…. I couldn’t really remember…. All those times signing the contract, picking out wedding dresses, and how the avenue must look. I was there all the time, but Alvar… he wasn’t…. he never did… not even once

 

My father-in-law told me that Alvar is doing his work as usual. But I can see behind his fake smile, he was covering up for his son’s absence with lies.  

 

Maybe every other girl my age would be excited to be in my position, getting married, having a handsome husband, you don’t have to worry about anything financially. However, for me, it’s like being handcuffed to someone who can potentially end your life. And I have to live with him as long as I’m alive, but at least…. Al gets to live….

 

There wasn’t a single moment of thrill or excitement that sparked inside of me. But one moment did me good when I got to see Al after his surgery. I was really glad when he spread out his arms to me with a cheeky grin on his face. With his left leg in a cast and him sitting up on the infirmary bed. Even with all the times Kalem just let out heavy sighs as he pinpoints Al's injuries excruciatingly annoyed at that moment. I felt happy, being around my brothers is a blissful time. 

 

What’s it going to be when I finally move in and settle into my new life in the North Region? Can I ever see them again? Or enjoy the times we spend together like we always do?

 

I took a brief of air and exhaled it quietly, steadily holding the bouquet of White and Pink Roses in my gloved hands. 

 

“I do,” I spoke up, still feeling under pressure of being watched by the others behind my back. 

 

Including dad, Al, Kalem, and the higher-ups from the South Region coming to the avenue. Along from Alvar’s side, that “Godfather”, blonde midget Caporeigme, and others that I don’t recognize who I can assume are from the Mafia Families from the North Region.

 

“Then do you, Alvar Flammia, take Lenna Esmond to be your lawfully wedded wife”

 

His lips crooked more when the priest said the word “wife”. And somehow, it managed to pierce an aching stab through my heart. But, who cares about that, it’s not like I wanted this to happen. Moreover, I only agreed to it for Alphonse’s sake, my older brother….

 

“And promise to take care of each other for the rest of your lives?” A few seconds that seemed like forever passed before he finally let out his deep voice.

 

“I do,” He said in a light scowl.

 

“Then it is adjourned, as of today, you are now officially husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride” The priest smiled at both of us, wrinkles deepened near his eyes. His hands closing in the bible as his eyes motioned us to start facing each other.

 

I tried to contain the disgust in me when I realized what time it was for. Wasn’t it already painful enough to make me marry him that I have to end it with a kiss? With a heavy foot, I turned around as my wedding dress flowed around the lower part of my body. My heart thumped nervously as Alvar slowly lifted the veil over my head. 

 

When I looked at him, his expression was flat, there was no spark in his eyes. Our eyes met, staring towards each other hazily while he moved closer. 

 

I just wanted this ceremony to end to get on with my new life. It’s hurtful for me to feel that dad, Alphonse, and Kalem had to watch me getting wedded to this guy. Not wanting to see what will happen next, I closed my eyes and waited for him to place his lips onto mine. Gripping tighter into the bouquet as I feel a slight movement in the air getting closer to my head.

 

"Hold still," a deep and low whisper came from my front

 

I felt something being pressed against the skin of my lips and left cheek, it was the texture of coarse fabric. This sensation wasn’t the feeling of lips touching each other. When I took a peek, his face was only a few inches before mine. What I had yet to realize was that his gloved thumb was blocking our lips from directly touching one another’s.

 

Looks like we were on the same page on this.....

 

The sounds of hands clapping roared through the avenue as both of us “kissed”. Little did I know, this was the beginning of a hectic day. Not to mention the reception, I was put under the Flammia Family’s watch all the time. 

 

Without talking about it, both me and Alvar acted as if we were doing fine. Or maybe he didn't take the hint lightly. Nothing conspicuous, just me pretending like I wasn’t under pressure with him. Although, he on the other hand barely said any word the time we served the guests at the reception. 

 

I was being pulled here and there, greeted by many people who I might guess are related to the Flammia Family. Some of them looked at me with weird and impulse filled gazes, I wasn’t comfortable at all. Just put up with it for a little bit more, Lenna. You’re strong, you can do this...

 

However, I couldn’t go to my side since Alvar was the one pulling the strings here. Knowing what he can do, I wouldn’t want to take a risk. All I could do now is to see dad, Kalem, Al, and Adrian from afar. 

 

I finally got a break and got permission to go back to the dressing room without Alvar. I was even surprised when he let me do it, which is a shock to me. Considering that I was being watched under intense security. But surely, getting a break from all of this mess and new faces can really help calm myself down.

 

I plopped myself down in front of the vanity mirror and heavily sighed. Even though the dress I wore for the reception is different than the one I wore earlier for the ceremony. It wasn’t any help on how hard it is to move without making any sweat. An off-shoulder lined White-Cream dress extending down just a few inches above the ground. It wraps around my body right but the tight sensation around the waist is just…. suffocating...

 

“Do you need any beverages, my lady?” A servant asked me while I was in the middle of fixing my hair.

 

“Oh, no it’s fine. I’m good here,” I reply with a smile on my face, trying to be as polite as possible.

 

“Call me if you need anything, farewell,” The servant bowed as I replied to her with a head bow. She walked out of the room, leaving me to myself in the room.

 

“Finally, some time alone. Never thought it would be this hard,” I sighed as I leaned my elbow on top of the vanity desk and leaned my hand against the back of my hand.

 

Staring down at the brand-new Golden covered ring wrapped around my right ring finger. A Rose Emblem with one seemingly large exorbitant diamond on the center imprinted on the ring itself. Turning my hand over to look at its gemstone shine reflecting the light coming from the ceiling light. Prisms of colors made their way into my eyes as I looked at it with both astonishment and disconcert.

 

“If only Julia was here, at least I could have someone to chat with,” I muttered to myself.

 

But unfortunately, since she wasn’t involved in any kind of this stuff, she won’t be here. For a bride’s bestie not to be at her own wedding is the worst. She already knows that I’m going to get married, and she instantly visited my apartment that very same day I told her about it. She comforted me and gave me many hugs and tried to lift up my spirits, I couldn't ask for a better best friend.

 

Just when I was thinking by myself, I heard some shouts and blabbers outside of the room. To make it more clear, I recognize those voices from far away.

 

You sure this is the dressing room, Kalem?

 

I saw her being escorted here, there’s no mistake,

 

Tch, yeah right-” The voice stopped as if it was blocked by something

 

Keep your voice down, if they caught us sneaking in we are done for,” Another familiar voice spoke up.

 

My body moved on its own without any more thoughts, reaching for the door of the room. Knowing what the voice said earlier, I quietly turned the knob and opened the door. I was met with three figures standing in front of me with wide eyes. My heart was filled with joy and thrills when I saw them all.

 

While the one in a Beige colored suit with a white shirt and Dark Brown tie turned to look at me with a shocked expression. The one being silenced wore his usual work attire. Except he added a Midnight Black blazer with its sleeves lifted up to his elbow. A fresh Red Rose pinned on the left upper part of it to finish the touch. The last one wore a neat suit with the color of navy and wore a black shirt along with a white tie. And also a White Rose on the same place as the second person was pinning his.

 

“Lenna!” The three of them exclaimed in sync

 

Their voices made me alarmed as I stuck my head out in the hallways, not wanting to be found out. I started to pull Adrian’s sleeve with force, “Come inside, quickly!”

 

The other two nodded and hurried inside of the room as I quickly but carefully not to slam the door shut. After making sure no one was murmuring outside of the dressing room, I exhaled a gasp of air and turned around to look at them all.

 

“Lenny!!” Al threw his arms around me with a jubilant but whiny voice, hugging me tight in his embrace. Smothering me with his cheeks being rubbed furiously against my head with excitement

 

I instantly returned the hug I received with open arms, God I miss this feeling after a tiring day, “What are you guys doing here?” I turned to look at Kalem and Adrian who were standing right before me and Al.

 

“What we must do, to ensure we could at least spend time with you on this special day. Even though it may not feel so extraordinary, it's still your wedlock, Lenna. We wouldn’t want to miss it for the world,” Kalem replied as he lifted his glasses with a warm smile on his face.

 

“And for you not to be with us is unacceptable, to think that they could do whatever they want. I assure you Roderick does know we’re doing this,” Kalem put his fist in front of his lips and briefly laughed.

 

“Wait, dad knows?!” I exclaimed in surprise

 

“Why of course, Alphonse planned all of this in an instant and told our father. Though I, myself would rather not be involved in this little sneak away,” my older brother lifted his brows and gazed at Al who was still engulfing me in his arms.

 

Plopping down his cheek on top of my head with a squeak coming from his mouth, “But it was all worth it, ain’t that right, Kalem?” Al replied with a sly smirk.

 

“Couldn’t argue with that,” Kalem lifted his arms by the elbow and shook his head

 

As I was drowning in Al’s overly affectionate hug, my eyes focused on the figure next to Kalem. My best of two besties in the whole wide world.

 

“Hey,” I greeted him

 

“Hey there, Lenny,” Adrian replied, with him stepping towards me.

 

While I was still engulfed in Alphonse’s arm, Adrian took hold of my right hand and placed his lips on the back of it. The welcoming gesture of his lasted longer than what he usually does, I could feel my heartbeat fastened up with each second passing.

 

“A true fine gentleman, no wonder lots of girls got interested in you, Adrie” Al snickered as he rolled his eyes.

 

“You’re not doing bad yourself, Alphonse. That quirk of yours has done a huge number of ladies and somehow, cops to chase after you,” Adrian replied, trying to hold his laughter along with me as he pulled his lips away from my hand.

 

“Oh shut up, you smartypants,” Al huffed, still holding unto me tight in his arms.

 

“How are you guys enjoying the reception?” I sarcastically asked them

 

UUGGHHH, it was the WORST!! I just wanna bash all of their heads at once including that no good Blonde half-pint Caporeigme. They all kept saying bad things about us Southern folks, I doubt we’ll be working together on flat grounds soon enough,” Al complained along with Kalem and Adrian nodding at his reply. 

 

Looks like they have a grudge against that shorty, as well as me, fuck that midget.

 

“Roderick was also not in the mood for chit chat with them all, especially that man, the Godfather himself. They tried to go straight into talking business about the firearms we sell along with their own little enterprise in the North,” Kalem added, crossing his arm as he leaned against the vanity table.

 

The three of us gazed at Adrian who hasn’t commented anything regarding any of this. He then noticed our glares and began to clear his throat.

 

“And as for me…. I couldn’t say much but to be bugged about something that is unrelated to this matter," He replied

 

"Really? That's all you've got to say, Adrie?" Al tightened his brows and narrowed his eyes at Adrian with a frown.

 

"I'm not finished yet, Alphonse. I do admit that being here has its pro and cons, but I'm genuinely concerned about Lenna's condition as well. Not to mention that this event is used for more shady businesses to open between us guests. As a matter of fact, I did get some “offerings” for my other job,” Adrian replied with a slightly upset expression on his face.

 

“Guess you got yourself some interesting deals, Mister Red Spider Lily. You sure you can handle it?” Al pulled away from me and shoved his elbow on Adrian’s left side.

 

“If it were for other families coming from the South such as the Illios Family, I would accept it. For hypocrites like them lot, I would never offer my service to them. We’re not on good terms after all, they would have to hire someone else,” 

 

I noticed a disturbed look on Adrian’s eyes as he looked down on the ground. Squinting his eyes and blinking his eyes more than a person does in seconds. I could tell that he was under stress from all of this event, especially meeting the Flammia Family. The air was getting more awkward as Kalem and Al seemed to catch Adrian's drift.

 

“But setting all that aside, what matters is that we managed to sneak off to see little Lenna in the dressing room alone. Perfect timing for us to discuss something without being watched” Kalem interrupted the tense atmosphere.

 

“Don’t call me little, Kalem. You know I could easily knock you down with my own strength,” I replied with an annoyed voice while lifting my fist and placing my other palm on my bicep.

 

“Make that two, Lenny” Al added while mimicking my pose.

 

Devilishly snickering along with my brother like predators targeting their prey on sight. Kalem was slightly taken back and frantically lifted his glasses. He looked at us both with an aghast look on his face.

 

“Alright, alright compose yourselves down, we don’t want to make a ruckus here,” Adrian stepped in between the three of us, showing his palms to me, Al and Kalem.

 

“Yeah, you’re right. It would be dumb to play risks. I don’t want to be separated from my lil precious Lenny,” Al cooed as he patted my head.

 

“Goodness me, I thought I was done for,” Kalem let out a relieved sigh while patting himself in the chest..

 

The air around us suddenly lightened up, I broke out a burst of laughter seeing Kalem panic like that. Other sounds of laughter followed as Al’s was the loudest. With his laugh, it even made Adrian put his hand on his shoulder, laughing along as his hand seemed to have gripped tightly into Al's blazer.

 

It looked like as if Al's face gotten more fear infused in them. As for Kalem, he laughed lightly along with Adrian. All of that pressure had gone in an instant, none of those hard feelings held me down anymore. 

 

Adrian POV

 

The four of us let out our own laughs in the room, while I kept mine low. Keeping an ear out on the people outside of the door. When I looked at both Alphonse and Lenna, my heart was soothed by the warmth surrounding them both. Aside from being under pressure from the glares we have got from those North syndicate members. 

 

It was not a pleasant feeling when you know their people are likely to plan something to hinder us. Especially that short-tempered Capo, Blanche Mordecai, I may have to keep an eye for him. But now, seeing Alphonse being content like this was far better than how he was last night. 

 

Way more different than how he was acting when I found him…

 

Last night...

 

“That should do it, I have to inform my client of the situation as soon as I get home,” I muttered as I closed the emergency exit of an old apartment building behind me.

 

I was walking outside to the dark and empty alley when something in my pant's pocket began to vibrate. It took me by surprise as I had just finished taking care of my “third” job, I still needed to clean my hands before I answered it. 

 

Having no time or appropriate place to wash it off, I was forced to pick up my phone with substances still attached to my bare hands. I was in a hurry to reach my medium black car that I didn't have time to see who was calling. 

 

“Hello?” I picked up the call.

 

Adrian, can you hear me?” A raspy voice rang throughout the line.

 

“Loud and clear, who am I speaking to?” I replied as I reached where my car was parked, holding the phone between my shoulder and head as I struggled to find the keys to my car.

 

It’s Kalem, are you busy right now?” His words went through my head as I finally found the automatic key in my back pocket and opened my car.

 

“Oh, Kalem. What a surprise, I have just finished my work. What’s the occasion?” I replied as I lowered my head and sat down on the leathery cushion on the driver’s seat.

 

I apologize for the sudden intrusion, it’s about Alphonse,” With the mention of my partner’s name, my heart was feeling quite uneasy.

 

“What happened to him? What is he up to?” I replied as I hurried myself to grab a wet tissue from the tissue packet from the dashboard. 

 

That’s what I have been asking myself, Adrian. He hasn’t returned from his work, usually, he goes back at 8 or 9. But tonight, only his crewmen came home and they said that Alphonse had some business to take care of,” Kalem replied as I leaned back on the car seat to focus on hearing him while I cleaned off my hands.

 

“Surely you don’t think he’s getting back on the Flammia Family, do you?” I replied, trying to focus on cleaning the narrow gaps of my nails from someone else’s essence.

 

I hardly doubt that, he does have a grudge but if he just plunges himself in there… That would be an uproar against the agreement and Don Roderick doesn’t want that to happen. Who knows what might happen to him or Lenna if he does that,” My body stopped moving as I heard Kalem mentioned "her", the bride to be for tomorrow's ceremony.

 

There it goes again, my heart was momentarily pierced through with an aching pain….. Nevermind that...

 

However, I have a bad feeling about this, Lenna has also been trying to contact him. But alas, there were no heeds of him answering back,” I heard as I tossed the dark crimson tainted tissue to the side.

 

“Is it possible that he could have gone to the Red Light District?” I immediately replied, stepping on the brake and pressed on a button beside the steering wheel to start the engine of the car.

 

I believe not, he only goes there if he has something to be celebrated about or to collect some intel. On the contrary, his crewmen said that he was slightly off today,

 

Slightly off, huh? He might be at “that” place.

 

“So you want me to go and search for him?” I replied as the engine purred

 

Yes, I need you to do a simple favor. I also had patched out some of our men to search for him as well. However, is it alright with you?” Kalem added as I put my phone on the phone stand next to the steering wheel. Grabbing my longcoat from the back seat and began to slip my arms into its sleeves.

 

“As I’m already done with my job, sure, I’ll look for him. I’m his work partner after all, I know him the closest,” I started to remove the handbrake and move the car. 

 

Thank you, Adrian,

 

“Anytime, Kalem. I will text you back when I find him,” I turned the steering wheel as the car slid itself into the main road leading up to a highway.

 

Alright, drive safely, don’t be in a rush,” Kalem advised.

 

“Of course, please send my greetings and wishes to Lenny and Don Roderick,” I replied as I fastened up the acceleration of the car.

 

Will do, take care now,” As the sound of the engine echoed, so to the sound my phone made when Kalem hung up the call.

 

Good, now I can focus on the road, no more distractions, I have to find him as soon as possible. As the wheels drift through the slightly empty highway, I began to summarise the places that Alphonse would have gone to if he’s not feeling like himself. 

 

There’s only one place he would regularly go to have a break. I hope he doesn’t make a mess in there as he did a few years ago. That nearly costs us to be banned from that place.

 

As I was focusing on the road, all that was accompanying me was the sound of the car skidding through the roads of the highway. Remembering futile things as my mind wanders after what I had just done earlier. I let out a deep sigh as my eyes glanced at the hanging silver necklace with a small cross pendant swinging with no rhythms from the middle mirror of the car. An accessory that reminds me of a certain someone, a person who I despise from the bottom of my heart...

 

"Hang on to this, it might protect you in difficult times, Adrian. Don't lose it, kay? Remembering his voice makes me sick, I even gritted my teeth in discomfort as an image of his face appeared in my thoughts.

 

Forget about him... 

 

I glanced at the pile of thin files on the passenger seat, beginning to count the number of people I have "finished". That’s all of them down, that client sure has malice against a lot of people. I’m sure there are others that wanted to hire me later, but finding Alphonse is my priority now. I can’t let him go to any threat alone

.

.

.

.

.

I pulled up to a dim street, lightened up by some luminescent street lamps on the side. I started leading my car into the side of the road to park. Shifting the steering wheel with my hand, I was able to manage to fit it between two other anonymous cars. 

 

I was keeping an eye on the car in front of me with sudden fastened up thumps in my heart. It was a sign for me to fetch Alphonse faster. I stepped out of my car and pressed the acrylic covered lock button on my car key. Restraining the doors from being open with a flash of the car’s light and then dimmed into the darkness.

 

Looking over in a distance was a rather small and antique bar. On top of a wooden door was a neon sign name in an Italic font “Whistling shots” and with a smaller “Bar” sign on its bottom right corner. The sign shines as one or two of the alphabets may flicker itself in intervals revealing how maintenance here is handled.

 

An old lantern shaped lamp enlightening the entrance door. The transparent but slightly scratched surface of the large glass window next to it has always let me see the insides of the bar. 

 

And as I suspected, I looked through the glass barrier while standing outside of the place. Other than seeing a bunch of drunken people inside excitedly downing on their drinks, a figure caught my eye. Someone sitting by the bar by himself, that Auburn hair always makes him noticeable from anywhere.

 

I picked up my phone from the pocket and sent a quick text to Kalem. After typing it at the speed of lightning, I shoved my phone into my coat and strutted towards the door. When I opened the door with a light push, a combination of soothing piano keys being pressed, cheers of many men, and clinks of glass made its way dancing to my ears.

 

Getting a few wary glares by some folks, their chants of joy began to fade down. I simply eyed them back and with a single glare, they quickly returned to go back into their own business. I stood there for a moment before turning my gaze into a man’s back sitting by the booth. Trails of smoke dissipated as it flowed into nothingness that came from the front of his face.

 

I approached the figure silently, not wanting to disturb him downing a glass of liquor. His right gloved hand on the glass while the left held out a half-disintegrated cigarette. 

 

“There you are,”

What do you think Alphonse's, Lenna's and Kalem's sibling chemistry are like?
  • Two versus one, the younger siblings like to retaliate against the oldest Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's a typical trio, one side is chaotic, one side is peaceful, and one of them is the moderator. Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The three of them adore each other, not wanting to disown any of their siblings Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Like trapped in a triangle love, two brothers fight and bicker to gain the youngest's affection. Votes: 1 50.0%
Total voters: 2
1