Chapter 3: Friends for Life
101 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(You can play this song while reading this chapter)https://youtu.be/LBJeuTGPyhU 

 

 

Lenna POV

 

I slowed down my steps as my foot reached out into the gardens. Lightened by oriental garden lamps, the wide variety of plants scattered throughout the patch of land.

 

I took a breath, smelling the earthy and fresh scents of air as I walked down the stairs. I scanned from my left to right for any signs of him. Looks like he's at that "place".

I continued to walk under the arches of intertwined vines and thick heaves of leaves        

I continued to walk under the arches of intertwined vines and thick heaves of leaves. Passing by tall, robust bushes of Red and Pink roses as I caress my hand along the soft petals as I walked. The sensation of the peaceful and tranquil brings back memories when I used to play here with Adrian. It was as if we were still little kids yesterday, happy with no worries in the world.

.

.

.

.

"Catch me if you can, Adrian!" I giggled as my dress fluttered around in might, rushing through the arches as if I was chased by a big scary bear. We were running across below the arches, the sun shining with shadows lapping over us hand in hand.

 

"Aw, come on you took off before I did!!"

 

The young boy followed behind with huffs from running around. With the adrenaline pumping through my blood, the strength in my legs took me further than usual. Finally, at the end of the halls of arches, lies a wide circular section of the garden surrounded with hedges. A large cream tainted marble fountain twice the size of my height sits in the middle.

 

Stopping my sprint on top of the green grass floor, I twirled around in victory as Adrian reached me a few seconds later. He bent his body down in exhaustion while I threw my hands up in the air with a grin

 

"Another win for Lenna Esmond!" I exclaimed as I huffed and puffed

 

"No... Fair... Lenny...." He said between the pants of hot air coming from his mouth.

 

After catching a few moments of calming our breathing down, his gentle eyes made way to stare at mine. Both of us were standing in front of the fountain which is trickling with water from the top of it.

 

"I'm glad I can play with you, here again, Lenny" He smiled as he put his hands on the side of his hips. With his white shirt and long Lime colored oversized sweater.

 

"Me, too, Adrian" I giggled and sat down on the grass with him, watching the little fishes swim around in the base of the fountain.

 

"So you're leaving abroad this Friday?"

 

I asked him as his eyes went wide and content diminished from his dark Violet eyes. Tracing his gaze on the tips of those curves and cracks on the bottom of the base. He straightened his posture up and rotated his upper body around to mine. The short slightly curled black hair of his flowed with the wind around us as he gave me a small smile.

 

"Apparently... it's only for a few years, you don't have to be so sad about me leaving" His hand reached my head and patted it, his body leaning against his other hand supporting his body.

 

"But you're one of the few friends I have here... What would I do without you?" I sighed sadly and pouted as my index finger curiously reached itself on the surface of the water. It made the fishes approach it and nibble on it with such gluttony.

 

"You still got Alphonse, that's that '' He added with a chuckle followed by a sigh as he closened his body next to mine.

 

"Of course you would say that, Alphonse is often busy with either studying or our dad training him. He constantly sneaked out just to say hello or played some cards with me. Even he got caught a few times by either Kalem or Daddy" I laughed a bit at the last part as Adrian looked up into the sky and exhaled.

 

"You're lucky to have a brother like him." He plopped his body back into the grass with a melancholic smile.

 

"What do you mean by that?"

 

Silence filled the air around us as his eyes wandered around the fluffy milky white clouds in the sky. He shook his head and looked at me with his eyes smiling, "Nevermind, just a thought that crossed my mind"

 

I chuckled and began to plop beside him with my arms extending out, while his placed on top of his chest. The two of us stared into the sky, no words were said, only the sound of water dripping accompanied us.

 

With a few rounds of guessing some shapes in the clouds, we were laying there in the middle of the garden with nothing more to spare. I turned my head to him, only to see him turning his at me at the same time. Our noses brushed against each other, his face instantly went red and looked the other way in a hurry. His body scooted over to the side frantically. I blinked a few times waiting for his next move as I could also feel my cheeks heated a bit from earlier.

 

"Hey, Lenny?" He suddenly spoke up

 

"Yeah, what's up?"

 

His head once again turned shyly over to look at me, his hair hung down by Earth's gravity. The shine in his eyes made the Violet streaks in it more intriguing. He let out a few mutters, scanning his nervous eyes on the linings of my ruffled dress.

 

"Actually... I don't want to leave you here all alone"

 

That single sentence from his mouth was all he could muster up, telling me his real feelings contrasting to what he said earlier.

 

"It hurts me to see that I have to be separated from you for a long time when you're the only one who I can lean on." His voice filled with sorrow, his lips curled down more into a frown.

 

"I'm sure you can make more friends there, Adrian. Besides, we can still contact each other, right?" I added

 

"Maybe... " He mumbled, his eyelids slipped down halfway, long angelic eyelashes fluttered around on the edges of it.

 

"I know!" I sat up suddenly that made Adrian flinched and wide-eyed.

 

I lifted my hand up to him with me sticking out my pinky finger, "How about we make a promise?"

 

"What kind of promise?" His body sat up and he tilted his head, staring at my hand.

 

"To always think about each other in our hearts, that way, we can still be connected even if we're far from one another. Maybe it's more like an oath, or something, but the most important thing is that me and you are inseparable no matter what!" I reached my hand out to him, waiting for his response as his frown turned into small giggles.

 

He stuck out his pinky finger and intertwined it with mine, a gleeful smile painted across his face, "Then we better keep it like that" His voice sounded so sweet and gentle, like a lullaby that I used to listen to before I went to sleep.

 

"Besties forever?"

 

He chuckled and grinned.

 

"Always..."

.

.

.

I lightly chuckled as I got to the end of the long path, reaching the section of the garden where me and Adrian made our promise. Comparing it to the past, flower beds are planted circularly split into different sections around the fountain, various types of flowers are planted here. And in front of the old water fountain, lamps lightened the structure of it and the figure standing right before it. The dark and luscious night surrounds us as the sound of water trickles filling the silence. His back turned against the entrance to the calm-filled space enclosing him.

 

"I knew you would be here" I spoke up cheerfully

 

He lifted his head up and I could hear a light hum as he rotated his body around. His hair grew even thicker and became less curly. With the right side of his black locks being longer, tied up as it hangs around his shoulder. The soft and gentle Violet pupils glazed themselves unto me as his lips transformed into a warm and welcoming smile.

 

The beige turtleneck wrapping around his slim body, covered by a dark green vest on the outside. Complemented by the long Pine-colored coat, his hands in the pockets of his tight jeans. You can't ever miss the small mole beneath his eyes, it's his charm.

 

"Always know where I would be whenever I came to visit, sharp as usual, Lenna" He chuckled as I ran up to him.

 

"How long have you been here?" I asked while Adrian pulled his hands out from the pant's pockets, leaning his chin on his right palm while the other is placed beside his hips.

 

"Perhaps for an hour or two, I was told you were coming here by your father and your message in our group chat earlier. I made my choice to enjoy my time here in the gardens while I waited for you. You took longer than I thought," His eyes averted to the surrounding flower beds, to the one with Yellow Daffodils. His gaze then returned to me as he turned his body to one of the other arches leading to other parts of the garden.

 

"How about we take a stroll around as we chat?" He lent out his left hand to me with a warm smile across his face. I giggled and gladly took his hand, nodding at his request, "I would love to"

 

"Then let's not waste our time here, I have lots to catch up with you, Lenny"

 

He kissed the back of my right hand as he called me by my nickname. My hand was separated from his as soon as his soft lips parted ways from the skin of my hand. I'm used to him doing this every time we meet each other, it's just one of his demeanors when he encounters a woman. Gentleman as he is, Adrian only shows his good side to those he cares about or vice versa.

 

"So, when you text that something came up in the group chat earlier, you were about to discuss business with my dad?" Both of us started walking further away from the fountain into a maze-like path with hedges taller than us wrapping the sides of the way.

 

"Well, it's actually before that, I got some complaints from my department that needed to be fixed. It's really frustrating when the author you're handling doesn't submit their scripts on time...." He sighed exhaustedly.

 

"But you love to do it, don't you?" Our steps went further as we navigated ourselves around the area.

 

"Uh-huh, because of that, I never grew tired of working my butt off to achieve what's best for both the authors and the consumers. Especially our most devoted readers," He replied with a laugh at the end.

 

"Books are the knowledge of the world, I have always adored reading them, including the ones I had helped in publishing." He added.

 

"Think you're going to write one? I'm going to enjoy pinpointing those weird and foreign words you typed in. Reading them out loud makes me want to laugh like hell" I nudged his left arm with my elbow. He let out a chuckle as he stopped in his tracks and faced his body to me.

 

"My, my, you're one of a tease, it makes me want to do the same to you." His smile turned eerie, gloomy aura spouts out of his figure. Turning the air around us cold, or if it's just my feeling, it sent chills down my spine.

 

"What's this?" He moved closer to me as his tall body hovered over mine, pinning me to a hedge wall. The movement of his pupils went all over my face as his smirk grew wider.

 

Suddenly a sharp pain was shot to my left cheek as his fingers pinched it, pulling it in and out with content. I yelped when he started to grab my other cheek, playfully kneading and stretching it like rubber.

 

"OW OW OW-Adrian!! Cut it out!"

 

"Oh my, what soft and chubby cheeks you have, Miss Esmond. Looks like you still have some baby fat left in there. Or should I say 'permanent fat' " He said it with an easy-going tone as his long and veiny hands kneaded more into my cheeks. Me, on the other hand, got really vexed by his behavior.

 

"These cheeks aren't chubby!! They're just plumpy!!" I shrieked at his face which made him smirked

 

"Why it's the same thing, don't you think? Maybe if you stop eating so many Red Bean buns, you won't become one at least." He commented, crossing the line between a tease

 

"DON'T JUDGE MY DIET!!" I gripped both of his hands tight, clenching in around his wrist as he let out a slight hiss.

 

"Alright, alright, it's not my fault if you're so delicate about it. Call it..... "even" " He let go of my cheeks, a stinging sensation along with red traces where his fingers tugged in remains. I glared at him while rubbing both of my cheeks as I pouted.

 

"Sensitive, my ass. Look who's being cheeky for once" I huffed as I scanned him up and down his attire.

 

"I'm just doing what I think is appropriate in this situation. When you're cornered, you have to see a way for victory, even if the chances are slim. Conquer or to be conquered" He let out a glorious huff, smiling at my face with his eyes closed.

 

"Wise words O'Mister Consigliere" I sarcastically rolled my eyes at him, waving my hands at him lazily. "But you have to admit it, my counter-arguments are getting better, right?"

 

"Maybe, but Al's probably gonna beat you on that, dealing with debates and negotiations are his specialties after all" I added

 

"Not if he's short-tempered... like you for example." The twenty-two-year-old friend of mine replied.

 

"Let's just keep going, I don't want to discuss further into that" I scowled, holding back the urge not to lash out on him.

 

"As you wish, my lady" He chuckled and patted my head, his simple gesture made me got annoyed more but happy at the same time.

"As you wish, my lady" He chuckled and patted my head, his simple gesture made me got annoyed more but happy at the same time        

Adrian Melchior, Consigliere of the Melchior Family, or as known as the Godfather's advisor. We have known each other since we were little, he's the only friend that I have known the longest for my whole life. At day, he works as an editor for various genres of Novels department, that's his disguise I tell you. When nightlife begins, his real obligation is put into work. He has an older brother like me, so both of us get along pretty well as the youngest of our families.

 

But, I have been hearing that his brother's identity is hidden because of some scandal that happened between his gang and one from the Northern region. Or specifically, Adrian doesn't even want to mention him, there has been bad blood going between them until now.

 

As the Consigliere, his mind is unbiased and logical, his arguments are straight to the point. After all, he's my brother's partner in crime, our crew would call them the "The Sparrow and The Hyena" duo. Don't underestimate Adrian's gentle traits though, he may seem like he couldn't kill a fly when he's around me or the others. As soon as he's thrown into battle, his personality changes upside-down. 

 

If I do recall, his nickname on the fields is the "The Dreadful Red Spider Lily". He has accompanied Alphonse in some of his missions. The syndicates of the West though, feared Adrian because rumors of him leaving a massive bloodbath in one of their districts lingered around. That's not even the shocking part, some west side goons said that all of the bodies had their throats slit in a single thin line.

 

Crimson rivers covered the striped grey and black street road, it didn't make it into the news apparently, someone must have shut a lot of mouths tight. Intels of the incident spread like wildfire across the whole Mafia community. But no one was really sure whether or not it was Adrian's doing, one thing for sure... The West Mafia families don't have the nerves to step into the Southern territory because of him...

 

He went abroad to study twelve years ago, or so I thought... His dad was handling some life-threatening problems at that time. I only found out about it when my own dad explained it to me and Alphonse years later. I'm just glad that things had settled down and now he's here back in the city. He also moved out of his home, making two of us apartment buddies. We live not that far from each other, so he visits often too. He even sometimes brings Julia or Alphonse along to my apartment.

 

"How about you? Did working in that flower shop turn out well?" He asked with his hands tucked behind his back, looking at me as we walked.

 

"Of course it does, I really enjoyed working with different kinds of flowers. As well as learning about their meaning." I replied with content and went on explaining some of them to Adrian.

 

The two of us continued to walk around the garden, chatting along the way. Giggles and laughs are all we could let out every time we let out our words. This warmth and flexibility in the air soothe my heart, even though we often meet when he visits my place. He would always scold me if he either sees one of my clothes on the floor, dirty dishes in the sink and et cetera. Although he would always help me clean it up and usually after that, we would make something together to eat.

 

As we continued to wander around, we eventually ended up returning back to the section where we met earlier. It almost made us cackle because we used to do it without any of us noticing the pattern. He then turned his head up into the night sky and let out an audible sigh.

 

"The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?" He whispered softly, his voice enchanted me to also look up into the full, circular moon in the sky. Shining brightly and lavishly even with all of the light in the city reflects into the dark sky, "It really is, Adrian. Full moons are one of my favorite things in the world"

 

"Want me to try and make a poem out of it? I just have an itch to make one" He rotated his head to gaze at me, a sly smirk appeared on the edge of his lips

 

"Take it away, Mister Melchior" I nodded as I crossed my arms, he cleared his throat as his Violet eyes turned back into the shining circle in the sky.

 

"As Day falls, the Peak of the Night arises

When the world dwells in darkness, she illuminates the way

Thou's heart may felt uneasy, but with her, it diminishes

With her by thy side, thy visions are no longer blinded

O, Goddess of the Moon, hear my solemn plead

So that thy whispers of wishes reach your ears

Thy heart pledge its loyalty, thy will as strong as steel

May thou's light only pave the path to thy salvation and not demise

For thou only would I throw this pride and greed of thine away

But when the dawn comes, I will gladly let go of thou's hands from thine

That is if our fates are not meant to be with one another"

 

He recited words of the poem one by one with elegance and precision, along with a voice so alluring that could hypnotize anyone who hears it. The soft and mellow notes of his tone, his lips ghosting spells that I couldn't cipher. As soon as the poem ended, I was caught speechless as he lowered his head.

 

"Well, how was it? To your liking I presume?" He lifted his brows at me, locking his gaze into mine. I was snapped out from my statuette situation, I let out a nervous laugh as he waited for my answer with his arms crossed.

 

"Touching enough, looks like reading those poem books really inspired you" I placed my right hand on my chin, feeling flustered. 

 

"It's great, Adrian. I could immediately fall in love with it if I reminisced about it over and over again." I clasped my hands together and giggled as the chill breeze passed by me and Adrian briefly let out a comfortable sigh

 

"Just like how I fell for you..."

 

I cocked my head to him in an instant, mutters spurted out of his lips "Hmm? What's with the murmurs all of a sudden?"

 

"I-it's nothing, really" He stuttered as he turned his back on me in a second, it made my mischievous side awaken by this sudden change of his calm behavior. I snuck up behind him with a cunning smirk, putting my hands behind my waist.

 

"C'mon, you can tell me~"

 

"I r-rather not" There he goes again, what am I going to do with you? That's it!

 

"Was it reeeaalllly not that important?" I pulled my hands to the front and readied my position to strike him from behind

 

"Y-yeah, you're just hearing thi-"

 

"GOTCHA!!"

 

"WHAT THE-"

 

I jumped at him, wrapping my hands around his shoulders as he let out a nervous yelp. Locking my legs around his waist, clinging to his body tightly as a Koala would. His body swung back and forth in a state of confusion. I clutched him tight as not to fall down, a few moments later it all eventually calmed down as his head turned to the side. He let out a heavy sigh, his shoulders loosened up as I still remained in that position.

 

"Quite unmannered for a lady isn't it?" He lifted his elbows and scanned the tangled arms and legs forced upon him.

 

"This is what you get for not telling me what you muttered earlier" I pouted playfully as he let out a small chuckle. I plopped the side of my head into the crook of his neck, the course but comfy coat made me feel a little bit sleepy. A slight scent of his clean, fresh mix between Citrus and Roses notes slips its way to my nose.

 

"You're just like Alphonse, clearly you two are indeed brother and sister. No doubts there"

 

"Still a maniac on the streets, isn't he?" I mumbled against his coat, with me feeling a movement between the muscles on his neck.

 

"More than what you can imagine"

 

Adrian's Memories POV

.

.

.

"Hey! Hey! Adrie! Let's go and teach those fuckers a lesson for crossing the borders! I'll start with that one over there and you handle this one" Alphonse glanced at me with a mad grin across his face, ready to throw himself into another mess.

 

"W-wait! We're only here to patrol, not to start another scene!" I tried to reach for his wrist, but it was too late when it had already wrapped around the handle of his Revolver.

 

"Too late, Adrie! Time to go mad at these shitheads!!"

.

.

.

"You're supposed to get that one, Alphonse! My hands are full here!" I yelled at him while straining an anonymous goon's movement by the neck. Hopelessly watching as more goons are coming my way.

 

"Can't hear ya! My ears hurt from all of this bangin'! LALALALALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!" He shouted out loud as he knocked out another man with a strike from his left elbow.

.

.

.

"Not only did you get hurt, but they also did a number on you, Alphonse. How am I going to tell your father about this?" I scolded him, carrying his right arm over my shoulder to support his limping body. We walked down the dim street on our way back to the mansion.

 

"Hey, but at least we secured our territory." He looked over to me with a wide grin and his left hand shakingly pulling a thumbs up. The pants between his breaths, his bruised cheek scathed with tints of blood. "Wonder what would Lenna do if she sees you, her brother like this"

 

"Naah, she knows I like to go rough, and this also means if she comes home tonight, I get to be taken care of by my darling little sister." Alphonse cooed as he daydreamed about the sensation of being spoiled by Lenna.

 

"You. are. unbelievable" I huffed desperately at his response.

 

"Alphonse Esmond "The Mad Hyena of the South" at your service, babe" He winked at me with the most cringey way to deliver it.

 

"Please don't call me such title in front of anyone, they may get the wrong idea."

 

"I'm just pullin your leg, don't take it so thoughtfully," He scoffed

.

.

.

Lenna POV

 

"Typical Alphonse" I chuckled

 

"Indeed," He paused for a moment as he tried to walk around with me still clinging to him. When one of his legs reached forward, his whole body wobbled. He quickly stomped on the ground to prevent both of us from falling. "How long are you planning to cling unto me like this, Lenny?"

 

"For as long as I like" I replied cheekily as I repositioned myself and hugged him tighter.

 

"Sure, sure, take your time. We may as well chatter while I stand here like a tree." I rejoiced at his reply, squeezing him more happily. He shook his head and let out a light-hearted sigh as suddenly a tune played itself in the air.

 

I could feel the vibration throughout my right leg, the two of us were alerted and Adrian grabbed something from the coat's pocket in a hurry. Picking up his phone as I peeked at the screen from over his shoulder.

 

"Who's that?"

 

"My father, it must be something important" He replied with a slight downcasted voice, pressing the call button with ease. He leaned his phone close into his right ear as I continued to cling on his body.

 

"....."

 

"Yes, I'm still at the mansion currently..... Right, I will be back in a minute...... Take care" He then hung up and let out a sigh.

 

"So, what did he say?" I curiously asked

 

"I have to go back, since well... The reason I came here is already finished and he has some more jobs for me back at home" He replied, alarming me to get off him. I then let go and jumped back, while still stumbling to get on my feet.

 

"Awww, I still want to spend time with you, Adrian" I frowned, looking down at the stone path beneath us. A hand swept my bangs to the side gently, when I lifted my head up my vision revealed his cheerful grin. The same one that he likes to show me when we were kids.

 

"How about we talk later on the phone, does that sound good?" I nodded hard at his question, making him cackle a bit, and patted my head.

 

"Don't forget to include Julia too, she must be missing us back at her dorm room."

 

"Of course, if not, Jules will get all naggy at us. Shall we go back?" He bobbed his head towards the arch leading to the mansion.

 

"Yeah, the last one to the lobby is a rotten egg!" I took a sprint towards the arch, leaving Adrian to be surprised and blabbered my name frantically.

 

Adrian POV

 

"Lenna, wait!" I tried to reach my hand out to her, but alas she was already ahead of me too far.

 

"Still the same after all these years, that's the Lenny I know" I shook my head slowly and began to follow after her.

 

"Just how I fell for you.."

 

I tapped my temple with my fist with embarrassment, why did I slip that out?! You did a great job almost wrecking our whole relationship. Whispering that after you told her the poem is just... Forget about it... I continued to step on the lines and cracks of the stone path with my heart beating melancholically.

 

Lenna... if only I could just... Let you know... But what if she doesn't feel the same? What if she... Already had eyes for someone else? God, it's torturing me from the inside. I turned my head to the direction of my name being called, she waved her arm up to me with sweat all over her face.

 

Her glimmering Emerald-like irises shine brighter than the sun, her petrifying smile that can make my heart stop, the blush on her cheeks bloomed like these Red roses around us. I want to tell her..... I really want to... My heart felt uneasy, what is this sudden trigger? 

.

.

.

.

Lenna POV

 

"Leaving so soon, Adrian?" A deep voice came up from behind me and Adrian as his crew gathered with us at the lobby.

 

"Mister Esmond, sir, I'm afraid duty calls back at the base" Adrian replied while bowing his body to my Daddy.

 

"Is it your father?" With that, Adrian only nodded silently at dad's question. Dad's face wrinkled, his brows knitted together in distress. He came closer to Adrian and patted him a few times on the shoulder. "You're welcome here any time, my boy. Even if it's outside of the Family business. This mansion is your home as well,"

 

That statement made Adrian's eyes wide and nodded delightfully, "I appreciate the offer, sir. But for now, I must go back to attend to my father's requests"

 

"Be careful and... Take care" My dad huffed and was satisfied with Adrian's response.

 

"Thank you, sir" He turned his body to face mine with a smile on his face.

 

"I guess this is it, Lenny"

 

He took hold of my right hand and kissed it's back lightly. Jealous and nosy glares are directed at him by some men around us. It's because he's the only one that was allowed to do this by my dad. While other henchmen grumbled with dissatisfaction, my dad, on the other hand, looked delighted.

 

"May the stars aligned for us to meet once again" He spoke up fluently in his poetic accent.

 

"Tomorrow? At my place?" I chuckled

 

"Perhaps," He replied with a playful and low voice, giving me a sneaky and playful wink.

 

We were interrupted by my dad clearing his throat to break off the misleading situation. Adrian let go of my hands immediately and both of us laughed nervously. His cheeks blossomed bright red as well as mine.

 

"I will be on my way th-"

 

The doors of the mansion suddenly burst open with force, the maids and butlers terrified by the sudden interruption. All of us in the lobby quickly turned to the five figures before us. My dad stepped forward to approach them with disturbed mutters and me, who wanted to know who they are, followed behind. The five of them seemed like they're out of breath, none of them are inflicted with serious injuries. I scanned their faces quickly and a realization hit my head...

 

These are the five people that Alphonse took to accompany him earlier! But, where is he?! I looked around them in panic as Adrian rushed to my side. Before I could ask them anything, one of them stood up in a stiff posture, his body trembling greatly, horror written all across his face.

 

"D-DON RODERICK!!"

 

"What's going on?!" My dad asked in a hurried tone, cold sweat began to form all over his neck.

 

"IT'S... iT'S ABOUT YOUNG MASTER ALPHONSE!!!"

Do you think Adrian will get to confess his feelings to Lenna?
  • Yes, he can do it! Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Maybe, he seems quite nervous about it Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He wouldnt, he's too afraid to even do it Votes: 1 33.3%
  • He might find a new girl to fall in love with Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 3
2