2. Bubble Tea
435 7 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Robin’s dessert shop opens at noon. The night before, he’s already cleaned the front glass and the shop itself. So his work day begins with preparing the boba—it takes a while to boil. With the strawberry season, he gets a crate of them. He picks out the most beautiful ones for decorations, and dices up the rest for a chunky, loose sort of strawberry jam that forms the basis of strawberry milks.

Various ice creams are set overnight: after he starts baking some of the toppings, he transfers the tubs of ice cream to the chilled counter. The final thing he does is prepare the other fresh fruit, and then his shop is ready to open.

Bubble tea is the most popular item, but the waffles and ice cream are coming close second, though that might change once he takes the offer down.

After the after-dinner rush, Robin gives a stretch, running a critical eye over the remaining ingredients. He starts preparing for the next day in between the sparse remaining customers.

Sometime close to midnight, the guy with the sunnies comes in.

Robin bites back a smile. It’s been a week already, but he’s glad he’s come back. “How may I help you today? If you liked the matcha, I have other matcha items. If you liked the waffle, then you could have it with another ice-cream flavour. Taro is popular, and so is cheesecake.”

...Ah, woops. The guy’s mouth is slightly open, wordless. Robin pauses, and pretends to be busy re-arranging the counter for a bit.

The guy clears his throat. “Erm, bubble tea is what kids drink these days, right?”

Robin’s smile widens, and he winks. “The cool ones do. The OG one is milk tea, but matcha, taro and teh tarik are also popular. I also find the small boba are easier to handle.”

“Yes.”

“Hot or cold? Ice level and sugar level?” At the guy’s frozen expression, Robin takes pity on him. “I’ll prepare 25% ice, 50% sugar then,” he says gently. “And we can adjust.”

The guy quickly nods, and brings out his loyalty card for Robin to stamp.

Bubble tea making is familiar and routine. While the milk tea is infusing, Robin ladles in boba in first, then ice in the plastic jar. The milk tea goes in, right to the top, and the cup is closed with a lid with a hole on top.

“Just peel off the plastic at the top here, and slip in the big straw,” Robin tells him. “If you bring back the cup, then you can get 50 cents off your drink.”

The guy licks his lips. “Okay.”

This time, Robin slips him the shop’s new menu pamphlet—“And to have a look in your own time,” he says with a kind smile. “And there’s an Instagram page too.”

The guy blushes. “Thanks. Night!”

Robin’s left bereft when the guy leaves without tasting it for Robin to see, but he quickly shakes it off. After all, customers leave his shop before eating all the time. Why would this guy be any different?

21