6. Hot Taro Milk Tea
297 9 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With winter coming up, Robin has been brainstorming hot desserts. He’s already noticed a downtick in ice cream purchases, though there’s still a fair number of bubble waffle orders—because the waffle is warm, he muses.

Of course, many of the milk teas can be served hot, and cream cheese toppings are deliciously creamy and warming in the cold weather. Perhaps one of the traditional hot soup desserts? Or hot pies served with ice cream…

One evening, it’s raining hard in Melbourne, and Robin’s seriously thinking of closing early, but the thought of someone passing by and being disappointed that he’s closed stops him.

—So when the door opens with the pitter-patter of rain, Robin’s relieved that he made the right choice, smiling brightly at the incomer.

“Evening,” Oliver greets, closing his umbrella and taking off his sunnies.

“Not too wet?” Robin commiserates.

Oliver doesn’t quite meet his eyes. “I sort of work near here.”

“And I work right here,” Robin says.

Oliver looks up again and grins. “Yeah? I didn’t realise.”

“Mhm. How are you going?”

Oliver shrugs. “Work’s work. It’s getting a little busy, but nothing extreme.”

Robin holds his tongue—if Oliver doesn’t want to mention what his work is, then Robin won’t pry, though he’s quite curious at which kind of workplace dresses in black leather jackets and tight jeans.

“For this cold weather, I recommend a hot milk tea,” Robin says. “Taro is a favourite.”

“A sweet potato in my dessert?”

“An asian sweet potato.” Robin smiles. “Imagine my surprise when I found that white people eat sweet potato in savoury dishes.”

Oliver laughs. “If you don’t learn, you never know. Okay, sure, I’m feeling adventurous. Hit me up with some taro,” he says with a cheesy wink. He pulls out his reusable cup and hands it over.

Robin bites back a grin and starts heating up the milk. Taro powder is mixed in along with sugar, which Robin thinks he can judge pretty well now for Oliver’s taste.

Ohhh. It’s...surprisingly nutty?” Oliver tries. “Wow.”

Robin smiles softly, enjoying the blissful expression on Oliver’s face. The way he licks his lips—that dart of a pink tongue—before taking another sip.

Oliver sighs happily. “I bet you’ve tasted every combination in the shop.”

“Of course,” Robin says. “And more besides. There are a lot of failed experiments.”

Oliver chuckles. “Oh yeah, I can understand that.” He puts on a thoughtful expression as he looks at the display board. “If I came in every day, how long would it take me to taste everything?”

Robin smirks. “Depends on how quickly I can make new products.”

Oliver laughs, and it lights up the whole room. “I’ll look forward to it.”

Robin smiles back, his smile softening as Oliver’s gaze lingers. “I look forward to your visits,” he says quietly. He blinks when Oliver’s ears go red. The taro milk wasn’t that hot, was it?

“Okay, okay,” Oliver says, voice gruff. “I better head out now.”

It feels as though Oliver left quickly, and it leaves Robin wondering if he said something wrong. Robin sighs, and decides it's time to wrap up for the night.

17