24. Dessert memes
231 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On Saturday morning, Robin joins his sister, Lark, in her home gym.

Now you’re interested?” she says drily, helping him out with the weights.

Robin makes a non-committal sound.

Lark raises an eyebrow in response, her lips quirking a little. “Unless you’re trying to show off. I’m sorry to tell you, but it takes time to show results.”

“I’m merely improving my bone and muscle density,” Robin says coolly.

“Of course, I understand,” Lark replies innocently.

The chatter between them dies down though as Lark gets into her workout, and Robin to his. Thankfully, Lark does not know that Robin is listening to the coffee song on repeat.

Eventually, Robin finishes his sets and claims the shower. By the time he’s done, Oliver has clearly woken up.

Oliver Campbell to Robin Quan: SO

Oliver Campbell:

There is a sign that says Dinner First and Dessert First. The car is swerving towards the dessert first

[MEME: of car swerving. Signs: Dinner first, dessert first]

Oliver Campbell:

A dog says no bake, only eat

[MEME: no bake! only eat!]

Robin Quan: 😎

Robin Quan: I should make a vegetable cake then. [link to salad cake]

Oliver Campbell: EVILL

Robin chuckles, typing some devil emojis in return. He has to put his phone away to go and eat before he has to leave.

His mum is in the kitchen. “Breakfast?” she asks in Vietnamese. She starts pulling out a big bowl for the morning’s noodle soup.

“Yes,” Robin replies in kind. “Mum, I’ll be eating dinner out tonight.”

His mum frowns. “Why? It’ll be so late! You should be home! Where are you eating? It’s not a club or bar is it?”

No, mum, I’m going to a friend’s house who lives in the city.”

“...Guy or girl?”

“Guy.”

“A boy friend., or…a boyfriend?” his mum says, making a disgusted face.

“Friend,” Robin says shortly. “Mum, I’m an adult.”

“And you’re old enough to settle down,” she retorts.

Robin doesn’t reply, focusing hard on eating his breakfast.

“When your dad was your age, he was already married!” his mum continues.

“Well, this is Australia, not Vietnam or China,” Robin says mulishly.

He has never outright told his parents that he’s gay, though his father has accused him of it—as though it’s a crime—often enough.

“It’s bad that your sister wants to play footy like the white boys.” His mum scoffs. “Where did we go wrong?”

Robin restrains himself from rolling his eyes at the guilt trip. Instead, he pulls out his phone. It’s rude, but he doesn’t care, because his mum is being rude too. Oliver’s sending more memes, and Robin quickly sends little emojis back at him.

Robin Quan: Looking forward to the masterpiece you cook tonight 😉

Oliver Campbell: So you’ll eat anything I make? 😉

Robin Quan: I’ll make sure you taste-test first, in case it’s poisonous.

Oliver Campbell: I’m wounded 😢

Robin Quan: 😈 😏

Oliver Campbell: 😏😏😏

“You’re not even listening, are you?”

Robin finishes eating and goes to wash his dishes. “Please excuse me,” he says politely, distancing himself. “I’ll be back late, don’t worry about me.”

His mum scowls. “This conversation isn’t over yet,” she says warningly.

Robin turns away before rolling his eyes. It’s never going to be over, he thinks. But he’s not going to dwell on it now, because he has dinner with Oliver to look forward to tonight, regardless of what his mum thinks.

13