28.5 After
219 4 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Robin sits with his backpack on his lap on the train home. His heart twists in his chest. He presses his lips together, glancing out through the window, not that he can see anything more than darkness outside and the reflected image of the train carriage and other commuters.

The rest of the ice cream is back with Oliver, as are the extra waffle cones.

In Robin’s bag, however, are the cat socks that Oliver bought for him.

Robin’s had heart-skipping moments before. But when Oliver pouted… the way Robin’s heart behaved was absurd.

He doesn’t really want to think about it, but his subconsciousness knows anyway. Has probably known for a while, but with Oliver’s image stuck in his mind, it’s loud, Inevitable.

He likes Oliver.

He likes Oliver’s bright smile. Oliver’s lips around a spoonful of Robin’s dessert. Oliver’s voice as he sings to Robin, just Robin.

Robin’s heart aches in his chest. How could Oliver even like him back? Robin’s just a small business owner. Robin still lives with his parents.

And Robin hasn’t really seen how Oliver interacts with his other friends. Maybe Oliver’s sweet and charming to everyone, and Robin’s not special at all, really, he just happens to make good desserts, and it doesn’t bother him, really, that Oliver just hangs around for sweet treats.

The lyrics of Never Gonna Give You Up, in Oliver’s voice, strikes Robin’s heart. Did Oliver mean those words to Robin as he sang them? Or was he just singing them, as lyrics to a song?

His phone buzzes. Robin quickly pulls it out, perking up at Oliver’s name.

Oliver Campbell: Hope you’re home safe! And thanks for the ice cream 💙

Robin Quan: Almost! And you’re welcome. Next time, I’m helping you wash the dishes.

Oliver Campbell: Nooooooo 🥺

Oliver Campbell: [link to kitten video]

Robin swallows, heart swelling.

He really, really likes Oliver.

Robin buries his face in his hands.

18