35. Brown Sugar Bubble Tea
246 8 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lark takes one look at Robin’s face the next morning and smirks.

Robin narrows his eyes back. “Yeah?”

“Finally,” she says, patting him on the top of his head. “You should use some lip balm.”

Lark!” he complains.

Lark’s smirk turns into a grin. “That good, huh? I bet he liked your shower gel.”

Robin rolls his eyes, because that’s better than breaking into a big smile and getting even more teased for it. “Oliver is a great guy,” he says primly. “Now, I have to get ready to go, so if you’re done with the shower…”

“Go right ahead,” Lark says. “Don’t spend too long in there just because it’s winter.”

“Lark. You’re my sister.”

“The demonisation of sex is harmful for everyone,” Lark says. “It’s perfectly natural to have sex, and perfectly natural not to have sex, and consent is vital—”

“I know, Lark.”

Lark smiles benevolently. “What did you say his name was?”

“Oliver Campbell.”

“Hmm.” She pats him on the shoulder as she walks past. ”Have a good day.”

 

The commute time to the city is perfect for Robin to think about Oliver. They didn’t kiss all night long, but they did kiss a lot, and Robin’s a bit mortified that his sister told him to use lip balm of all things.

Robin Quan: Good morning. Have a nice day at work!

Oliver Campbell: 😘

Robin’s heart swells. He hums along to the coffee song when it starts playing around the shop, and morning prep work goes by in a breeze. He opens the shop, and fields a couple of initial tea and coffee orders.

“Hey, Robin…” says a very familiar voice.

Robin looks up and grins. “Hey, Oliver.”

Oliver slowly takes off his sunnies and steps up to the counter. “So, um.”

Robin glances around, but it’s just them right now. He leans forward over the counter. “Do you want to...?”

Oliver gives a breathy, “Yes,” and they lean over the counter and kiss chastely.

Robin has to press his lips tightly together afterwards. I can’t believe I just did that!—and Oliver seems to have an equally stunned look.

“Off to work?”

“Well, I was thinking of getting something to drink,” Oliver says, pulling out his rewards card and credit card. “Look, there’s just one more left before the free drink.”

“But we’re dating now, I can’t charge you,” Robin says.

“It’s nothing, though,” Oliver says.

“Exactly, it’s nothing, there’s no need to pay me,” Robin tries.

“But Robin…”

The door opens and both of them jump.

“Oh, Jenny, hi,” Robin greets his co-worker.

“Morning, Robin,” she says, giving Oliver a curious look as she heads behind the counter.

“Jenny!” Oliver says. “Can you serve me? I want a—um—brown sugar bubble tea.”

“...Sure,” Jenny says.

Robin bites back a sigh. “Fine, you win this time, Oliver.” He steps aside once Jenny’s put her apron on and even lets Jenny make the drink for Oliver.

Robin hovers, trying not to be awkward, and trying not to smile ridiculously at Oliver, or make faces back at Oliver. He’s not sure he’s succeeded.

“...And here’s your bubble tea,” Jenny says.

“Thank you,” Oliver says. He nods, glancing at Robin. “See you round?”

“Yeah,” Robin says.

They settle on nods (instead of kisses-good-bye), and Oliver leaves, putting his sunnies back on.

Jenny looks between the departed Oliver and back to Robin. She seems to be hiding a smile. “We’re going to be out of boba soon,” she finally says.

Robin blinks, centering himself back on the shop. “Oh, yes, I’ve already put an order through…”

13