40. Elsewhere with Kyle et al.
225 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warm lights shine on the stage at the club, lighting up the musicians playing jazz music and the rainbow flag hanging on the back wall. Some patrons who are seated closer are listening and occasionally talking quietly to their friends.

Kyle, Nina, and Anderson have taken a table right at the back, and none of them are paying attention to the music. Instead, Kyle’s glaring at Nina.

“What do you mean it’s my fault?” Kyle says. “I’m not Oliver’s fucking keeper! It’s not my fault he left our band! He was never one of the founding members anyway!”

“It’s that kind of attitude,” Nina retorts right back. “Talking like that, you’ve alienated Oliver.”

“Oliver made his own choices to work corporate,” Kyle scoffs.

“You’re just jealous of him.”

“I am not! Why would I, huh? The corporate music industry sucks.”

Nina gives him a knowing, pitiful look. “You’re jealous of Oliver’s new boyfriend.”

“What the fuck. I am not!”

“You are! You know, insulting Oliver won’t make him like you more than that Robin. You’re so obsessed with having Oliver back in the band. At this rate, I wonder if you’re the one crushing on Oliver. Oliver is his own person, you know.”

Kyle stares at Nina in disbelief, his stomach churning. “Oh, like you’re any better, telling Ollie he’s in some kind of abusive relationship?! It’s your fault Oliver doesn’t like hanging out with us!”

“No, it’s your fault!”

“You’re too nosey!”

“You’re too jealous!”

Unnoticed by either of them, Anderson is shrinking back, gaze downcast. He glances back between the two of them. Carefully determines his words and opens his mouth to speak. But before he can say anything, one of the organisers of the event nights at the club comes by.

“Um, can you two calm down?” Avery places a hand on the table, frowning. They look between Kyle and Nina. “What’s the matter?”

Kyle scoffs. “Nothing.”

“Kyle’s just not admitting his obsession with Oliver. His behaviour looks a lot like pulling pigtails from here,” Nina says. “Which is not healthy, may I add.”

“Ah, Oliver,” Avery says, nodding slightly. “Is he doing well?”

“Yes,” Kyle says grudgingly. “He doesn’t want to come to your poetry nights because he has a boyfriend now.”

“...He didn’t come before that,” Anderson says quietly.

Kyle glances at him. “Are you on Oliver’s side now?” he says sharply.

A stricken expression appears on Anderson’s face. He shakes his head. “On your side.” His jaw clenches a fraction, no longer willing to speak.

Kyle nods, not changing his expression, but a tiny bit of tension eases at knowing that Anderson will stick by him. They’ve been friends for much longer than they’ve known Oliver.

Avery sighs and takes a seat at the table. “It’s no fun when a friend drifts away from you. What happened?”

Nina and Kyle both tersely tell Avery of the other’s faults and stupidity and how the other person has alienated Oliver. Avery nods slowly throughout.

“I think you’re both right,” they finally say.

Kyle opens his mouth to retort, but then Anderson rests his hand on his thigh.

Avery continues, “You’re both looking out for Oliver. That’s commendable. But despite your intentions, Oliver didn’t receive your actions the way you wanted. Kyle, I know you like teasing, but sometimes other people’s boundaries aren’t the same as yours. Maybe Oliver used to be fine with it, but maybe he’s not fine with it anymore.”

Kyle stews in anger and embarrassment and this sick feeling that seems to be a lot like guilt. Anderson’s head bows down.

“And Nina...It’s good to educate people about the signs of an abusive relationship. But if it really was an abusive relationship, you need to be more careful. The last thing you want to do is alienate someone in such a vulnerable position. And hasn’t Oliver dated before in the past? He’s not new to relationships, he’s an intelligent guy.”

Nina’s face also settles into disgruntlement, but Kyle can’t crow over it at all.

“I think you both know what to do,” Avery says evenly.

Kyle meets Nina’s eyes. They both look away at the same time and grudgingly nod.

Avery smiles. “Alright. Are you three still up for playing tomorrow night?”

“Yes, of course,” Kyle says.

Avery nods and leaves them.

Kyle slumps. “Anderson, can you get me something?”

Anderson nods. He gathers Kyle’s and Nina’s requests and heads off to the bar.

Kyle doesn’t look at Nina. He hates feeling like he’s fucked up. But...this is serious, isn’t it? Fucking hell, Avery had to talk to them about it.

But it’s also not fair. How could Robin just suddenly appear and capture Oliver like that? Kyle thought he and Oliver were good friends. They had been through so many ups and downs together. Oliver leaving them...leaves an empty hole in Kyle’s chest.

“Here,” Anderson says, placing down their drinks.

Kyle blinks. Anderson has also gotten fries with the extra-hot sauce.

“Thanks,” Kyle mutters. Figures Anderson would try to cheer him up. And at least Nina got scolded as well.

12