43. Taro Cream Chiffon Cake
212 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Travelling back and forth between home and the city is a pain, but Robin’s parents have been stern about his appearance at his birthday party. He makes all the desserts and components for the drinks at the shop required for the whole day, while Jenny takes responsibility serving their customers and supervising Damien. By the time he’s done, it’s late afternoon and he leaves Jenny and Damien to it while he heads home.

There’s already the smell of cooking meat when Robin returns home. Cars line the road, and some have even parked in the front yard, tail-to-tail. It’ll be a mess trying to get some of those inner cars out if they want to leave first.

Robin heads to the backyard, where his dad has set up the barbeque and makeshift tables and plastic chairs.

“Everyone, my son,” his dad announces loudly in Vietnamese, telling everyone Robin’s Vietnamese name in case they forgot. His dad continues to ramble on about Robin’s age, about Robin’s new small business, about how it’s getting popular..

“Hue, take over for me,” his dad says, handing the BBQ tongs over to one of his friends. “Robin, Robin, come here.” He nudges Robin to one of his other friends and their family. “Robin, my friend has a daughter your age, Hana, yes?”

Hana glances up from her phone. “Er, hey,” she greets, her eyes slowly going down again.

“Robin, sit next to her,” his dad says.

Robin shakes his dad off. “Dad,” he says. “You know I have a friend already.”

His dad narrows his eyes. “Of course you have friends. Now, make a girl-friend.”

Robin resists. “Did Mum pick up my birthday cake?”

“Of course. Son—”

Thankfully, the back door opens and some of Robin’s highschool friends emerge.

“Hey, Robin!” Quoc says in English. “Long time no see, man! Wow, this is a party.”

“I need to talk to my friends,” Robin tells his father. He nods at Hana. “Nice to meet you,” he says in English. Robin detaches from his father and goes to catch up with Quoc and the others.

As the afternoon turns to night, there are fairly distinct groups scattered around the house and backyard—his dad’s friends hang around the bbq, and his mum’s friends in the kitchen/dining, and Robin’s old high school and uni friends in the living room. Among his old friends, they talk about things like games and anime. There’s no space for him to tell them about Oliver. It just never feels right to bring it up.

His mum is the one who announces cake time, bringing out a very large taro cream chiffon cake (not durian in respect for those who don’t like durian), and fussing over every candle placed on top. The birthday song is a mash of the English and Vietnamese version.

“Do you want to save a slice for Oliver?” Lark asks him once everyone who wants one is served a slice—there’s still at least a third of the cake left.

“Oh, I can do that.” He packs a slice into an opaque plastic container and labels it

Robin Quan: I have cake for you!

[picture of cake]

Oliver Campbell: 👀

Oliver Campbell: Having a good birthday?

Robin Quan: Yeah 😊

Robin sighs lightly, and tucks his phone back in his pocket.

“Eh, who’s Oliver?” Quoc asks, handing the game controller to another friend. His paper plate, cake eaten, sits precariously on the coffee table.

Robin freezes. “Huh?”

“This Oliver, couldn’t he make it to the party?”

“Er, no, he could have made it…” Robin says slowly. “He’s white—”

Quoc rolls his eyes. “Chris is white,” he points out.

“What’s this about me?” says Chris, whose eyes are still glued on the TV screen.

“He’s basically honorary Vietnamese now,” Robin says.

“Yep,” Chris says.

“Anyway, if this Oliver guy came, then maybe Chris wouldn’t feel so lonely,” Quoc quips, laughing to himself.

Robin’s hands grow clammy. His heart thuds in his chest. “It’s because...Oliver’s my boyfriend.” He pauses, and quickly continues, “And you know my mum and dad, they’re like, you know, about it, and I didn’t want him to have to face that, and we’re going to have our own dinner anyway—”

Quoc blinks. “Wait up. Boyfriend?”

“Y-yeah.”

“Seriously, Quoc, didn’t you know he was gay?” Anne, an old uni friend, says. “You aren’t homophobic, are you?”

“Wait, I didn’t say that!” Quoc protests, his eyes a little shifty.

Robin exhales forcefully. “I’m gay and Oliver’s my boyfriend. Are we seriously going to play Smash all night?”

“Mario Kart!” Chris yells, as his character wins the round.

“Damn yes, Mario Kart,” Anne agrees. “Lark, you playing?”

Lark glances at Robin. “Yeah. But first, does anyone want more food? There’s so much left.”

“Nah,” Anne says, “Your mum’ll give us the leftovers anyway, right? Come on, us versus them.”

As the conversation moves away from Robin, Robin slowly relaxes. He watches his sister and friends play—there’s not enough controllers for everyone.

And slowly realises that it wasn’t so bad telling his friends about Oliver. Not bad at all. Knowing that they know loosens a knot in his chest.

13