The Truth Comes Out – NEW!
1.1k 9 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
This has been a long time coming. I apologize for that. I just seemed to have lost this story among all the others I've been tackling. Here's a new chapter with about 7,620 words.

Harry laid in his bed for several hours before the rest of the house was quiet. Bella and her friends had been pretty rowdy after his big reveal in the hallway where he had accidentally shown all four girls exactly how he looked without any clothes on. He was only slightly surprised by the interested looks and not surprised at all that only Angela, his ex-girlfriend, had blushed.

He was sure that both Jessica and Lauren had seen a penis before, since neither of them shied away from looking. Now that he was replaying the scene in his mind, Harry definitely saw a sad look on Lauren's face. He couldn't stop his chuckle as he thought about why she was sad. Her new boyfriend was apparently not as endowed as he was.

Harry blushed a little at that, especially since he hadn't been hard at the time. If he had been... he was sure that Lauren would have been very sad instead. It might have been more of Harry complimenting himself, however. If you were a grower and not a shower, the soft version had almost no bearing on the final product. He also didn't consider the fact that some guys weren't circumcised like he was, so their size and length would also vary slightly because of that.

He shook his head to try and dislodge those kinds of thoughts from his head. He had to get some sleep after spending all day with the new pack of wolf shapeshifters and going all around the reserve to clarify what had happened with Sam, Leah, and Emily. It was a huge mess and he felt guilty over his part in it, even though it wasn't technically his fault. Old tribe magics would have linked Sam and Emily together anyways, it just would have taken longer.

Harry knew from the old shaman spirits that small things would have happened over a period of time to break Sam and Leah apart, caused unrest and strife, and magically force them to give up on each other. He was sure that would have been a much better thing than just shoving the soul bond between them and destroying their previously planned lives.

Even knowing all of that, and Harry and Old Harry explaining it all, the tribe's cohesion and magic was still in fluctuation. There was no way that it was going to settle down anytime soon, not with the vampire situation and three bodies to take revenge for.

Harry sighed and closed his eyes to try and make his mind rest. He couldn't manage it for nearly half an hour and then decided to meditate instead. Before he could start, the door handle on his door turned slightly. He immediately kicked himself mentally for not locking the damn thing before going to bed. He hadn't gotten into the habit of doing that, despite all of his shaman work that he did in his bedroom.

A shadowy figure slipped into the small opening and slid the door closed once more with a soft click. Whoever it was, carefully walked across the room that was barely illuminated in the soft moonlight that was pouring in through the bedroom window.

“Harry.” A very soft voice whispered and the figure carefully sat on the edge of the bed by his arm.

Harry was shocked that it wasn't Bella and opened his eyes to look at her. “Angela.”

Angela leaned over him and she had tears in her eyes. “I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry.”

Harry opened his mouth to tell her that she should be. He wanted to impress upon her how she had disappointed him by not protecting Bella when he had specifically charged her to do so. He wanted to tell her how he felt hurt and betrayed that she hadn't taken his concern for Bella seriously. He did none of those things.

“I know.” Harry said and lifted his arms to hug her.

Angela barely held in a racking sob as she lunged into his arms and hugged him back. Her shaking body and her silent crying was more than enough to let Harry know how much his rejection of her had hurt her.

“I'm sorry, too. I overreacted and I shouldn't have done that.” Harry whispered into her ear. “I just got Bella back into my life and I thought I had lost her again. I was... I...”

Angela took that opportunity to lift her head from his shoulder and looked into his eyes... then she leaned down and kissed him. There was suddenly desperation and a lot of urgency in her movements when he didn't try to pull away or stopped her. She didn't break the kiss as she shifted around to lay on top of him, then her hands pulled his down to grab her ass, which let him know that she wasn't wearing a whole heck of a lot for such a chilly night.

Harry took the cue and massaged the cheeks of Angela's ass as if they were bread dough and needed a good kneading. Angela cutely moaned into his mouth and Harry felt a spike in his magic at the sound. He felt the panther spirit inside of him stir for a moment, then he felt utter desire fill his mind and he rolled them over to put Angela on the bottom.

Angela broke the kiss and looked up at Harry's face. “Harry... please, forgive me.”

“There's noting to forgive. We both made a mistake.” Harry said.

Angela let a huge smile spread across her face as her hands reached up to rub his chest. “Harry... I... I want...”

“Third base?” Harry whispered. He had gone to third base only once before and that was with an older girl before she went off to college. It was one of the best experiences of his young life and he knew that he would really enjoy having the same experience with Angela.

Angela's smile changed to one he hadn't seen before and then she blushed. “I think I want a home run.”

Even though Harry was shocked at her blatant declaration, because she was always so shy and demure, the panther spirit inside of him roared in triumph.

Soon, they were both without their sleep clothes and Harry had his tongue buried deep between Angela's legs. Her sexy moans and squeaks as he diligently looked for the spots inside of her that she desperately wanted him to find, drove him onward and gave him a practical education in the things that he had only seen pictures of in Charlie's old girly magazines.

Angela soon let out a humming moan and her hands clamped onto his head as she came pretty hard. Her legs trembled for several moments after her orgasm. The look in her eyes when Harry moved up to look at her face, could only be described with one word. Predatory.

Harry wasn't sure how she had expertly placed him in the right spot or why she didn't cry out when his throbbing erection pierced her roughly. He had felt the resistance, so he knew she had been a virgin... and yet, she cried out with joy as he settled inside of her. He didn't need her prompting to start to move, so he did so. Her groaning and moaning quickly turned from cute to downright sexy, and he wanted to hear more of it. A lot more.

Angela wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply as she wrapped her legs around his waist. It left him plenty of space to move and he found a good rhythm that had the both of them caught in the passion that they both felt. They were both spurred on towards making each other feel the best that they've ever felt before and their mutual moans made the other feel even more pleasure.

Angela broke the kiss and looked into her lover's eyes. “Love... you. I... love you! OHHHHH!”

Harry was completely caught up in her pleasure as her body squeezed him tightly, as if trying to suck him inside permanently. It was almost a foregone conclusion that he finished right after she did. His seed... his brightly glowing magical seed... poured right into the prepared containment vessel as if from a fire hose.

“OHHHHH!” Harry moaned loudly as the panther spirit that had roared in triumph, slipped from inside his chest and went right inside of Angela's.

With the both of them spent, their pleasure sated, Harry pulled out of her and laid down beside her.

“Wow.” Angela whispered as she felt a deep warmth inside of her. “Does... it always... feel like that?”

“No... idea.” Harry said and wiped a bit of sweat from his forehead. “First time.”

Angela blinked her eyes for several moments, as if stunned, then she turned her head to the side to stare at him. “That... that was... your first time?”

Harry nodded. “I've never gone that far before.”

Angela squinted her eyes a little. “How far?”

“I fingered Rachel before she went to college.” Harry admitted.

“What did she do to you?” Angela asked without inflection.

“Hand.” Harry said and Angela smiled for some reason. He had been sure that she would have been at least a little angry that another girl had touched him down there before she did, even if it was before they had started dating.

“I'm glad.” Angela said and moved down his body.

“What do you mea-oh!” Harry gasped as Angela slipped her mouth over the sensitive tip of his penis.

Angela had never done anything like it before and she wasn't really sure if she was doing it right, until Harry's hands caressed the sides of her face and then held her hair out of the way. She looked over at his face and heard him whisper a soft thank you, so she increased her sucking power a little and went back to work. He didn't take long to finish and warned her that it was coming.

Angela slipped him out of her mouth and jerked him off the rest of the way. She caught the majority of it in her palm and the almost boiling hot warmth settled in her cupped hand. “It's so warm.”

Harry nodded and grabbed several tissues from the box on the nightstand. Angela smiled and accepted them to clean off her hand and then his soft member. Neither of them spoke as they cleaned up a bit more, then Harry grabbed her clothes and pointed at the floor.

“I am not sleeping on the floor after we did that together, mister.” Angela whispered, harshly.

Harry clamped his mouth shut to stop his laugh. A moment later, he spoke in a whisper. “The bathroom is downstairs. You go first to shower and I'll go next.”

Angela blinked her eyes for a moment. “Oh. I thought you were kicking me out of your bed.”

Harry handed her the small bundle of clothes that was a t-shirt, shorts, and panties. He reached up and cupped the sides of her face. Instead of saying anything, he gave her a long and sensual kiss that had her weak in the knees when he was done.

Angela wavered slightly and sat down on the bed with a look of surprise on her face.

“I guess I'll go first.” Harry whispered and slipped on a pair of basketball shorts, grabbed fresh clothing, and slipped out of his bedroom. He easily snuck downstairs and into the bathroom, had a very quick shower, and dressed. He was back in his room less than ten minutes later.

Angela didn't say anything as he handed her the basketball shorts and a t-shirt. She put them on, grabbed her own clothing, and did the same thing as him. She was gone for a while longer, though. When Angela came back, she poked her head into his bedroom to whisper that she was going back into Bella's room.

Harry grabbed her hand, pulled her into the room, and led her to the bed. It had fresh sheets on it and he laid down on them with her. Angela was a little surprised by this, until he tossed the blanket over them and then he cuddled up with her.

“I have to keep you now.” Harry whispered and kissed her cheek.

Angela blushed deeply and cuddled into him. “What... what about...”

“That has to change.” Harry said, resolve filling him. “No more hiding.”

“I... Harry, I just... if people knew... the rumors...” Angela weakly stammered.

“Don't worry. I'll handle it.” Harry said and felt her nod as her grip around him tightened. He knew a few things that could deal with it, now that he had taken that final step and went all the way with a girl. It was a good thing that he actually liked her, because he hadn't lied. By tribal law, the very one he was blood-oathed to, he and Angela were now married.

The soul bond they had formed was just added proof.

*

Bella laid on the floor with two of her friends and wondered where the third one was. Angela had gone to the bathroom over an hour ago and still hadn't returned. She knew that if anyone was in the hallway, they could hear through the door. However, the walls were specifically designed to deaden the sound as much as possible. Harry working at the hardware store had given him access to some great materials and knowledge.

“OHHHHH!” Angela's voice echoed through the door.

Bella, Jessica, and Lauren jerked and sat up, only to hear Harry's loud moan right behind it.

“Oh... my... god!” Jessica exclaimed, her eyes wide.

“That wasn't... there's no way...” Lauren shook her head a little before she looked at Bella.

Bella's face was white as a sheet. She didn't say anything for several minutes and then climbed out of her sleeping bag and opened her bedroom door slightly. She didn't see anyone out there, which meant those two moans had carried through Harry's door and through her own.

“Can you see anything?” Lauren whispered as she knelt by the door and peeked out through the small gap.

Jessica didn't bother kneeling and only bent over slightly to add her own eyes to the space that the slightly open door gave them to peer out. “I don't think that...”

Harry's door opened and the three of them fell quiet as they watched him creep down the hallway wearing hastily worn shorts. The three girls were a little stunned by the sight, because for some reason, he looked even more handsome and had caught their attention.

They stayed there until they saw him come back up the stairs and watched eagerly as he opened his bedroom door... then a clearly dishevelled Angela, wearing the shorts that Harry had just worn, crept down the hallway and down the stairs.

Jessica somehow took the door handle from Bella's tight grip and eased the door shut. She didn't speak until she led Bella over to the bed and the three of them sat down on it. She also kept her face blank.

“Well, it looks like they're back together.” Jessica whispered.

“Do you think so?” Lauren asked with doubt in her voice.

Bella caught her breath and stared at her.

“I mean, this wasn't just a one-time thing? As an apology?” Lauren corrected herself.

“By Angela or Harry?” Jessica asked.

“Both, I think.” Lauren said and looked thoughtful. “Angela's been a wreck ever since they broke up.”

“...and Harry didn't apologize for tossing her aside like that.” Jessica added with a nod.

“No.” Bella whispered. “Harry... Harry's not like that.”

“Oh? You've known him for how long?” Jessica asked.

“Since we were kids.” Bella said, her tone of voice stern.

“You've been gone for ten years of that.” Jessica said with a bit of satisfaction. She liked it when she could poke holes in people's statements. It proved that she wasn't the airhead that most of the other girls assumed she was. They called her catty and she called it pragmatism.

Bella opened her mouth to respond and Lauren lightly touched her arm.

“He might be the Harry you remember, only underneath the Harry we know.” Lauren said. “He spends a lot of time down at the reserve and he has a lot of friends and acquaintances.”

Jessica huffed. “The tokers don't count.”

Lauren smiled. “They'd argue if you said that to their faces.”

“Of course they would! They're tokers!”

Lauren laughed softly. “At least they don't smell like they toked or act stupid because of it.”

Bella's thoughts went right to Harry telling her that he had bred out the brain stunting effects. She still wondered how he had done that, considering that was the main part of the drug that affected brains and gave the high. At least, she thought so. Then she remembered all of the things she had discovered about Harry and realized that Lauren was right. She didn't really know Harry anymore.

“Hey, I didn't mean to make you sad.” Lauren said and hugged her. “I was only pointing out that Harry's grown up since you were gone.”

“I know.” Bella said and hugged her back. “I just didn't realize it until you pointed it out.”

Jessica barked a laugh. “Like you're the one to complain!”

“Huh?” Bella let Lauren go and looked at Jessica.

“I've talked to Angela...” Jessica started to say when the bedroom door opened.

“He's been trying so hard to get to know you since you came back, that he's ignored almost everything else, including me.” Angela's soft voice interrupted her. “What have you been doing?”

Bella was surprised by that, because Angela was usually so quiet and unassuming.

“Right, nothing. What's his favorite color? His favorite food? His favorite shirt? Music? What does he do to relax?” Angela asked the rapid fire questions without pausing, which stunned all three girls. “Yes, I know the answers to those questions. I actually care about him and not as a status symbol.”

“Angela...” Bella whispered.

“I don't know what I'm going to do after... well, we... I don't know.” Angela said. “I made a huge mistake and I apologized. He accepted it and then accepted me. It felt... it was...”

Jessica, Lauren, and Bella leaned forward to hear about it.

“I've never felt anything like it before.” Angela whispered and her hand reached down and rubbed her belly. “I felt loved and cherished and I was floating on the clouds. It was the best feeling ever and I'm all warm and tingly inside.”

The other three girls had their mouths drop open in surprise.

“I just hope...” Angela shook her head. “I'll deal with it tomorrow. I better tell him that I'm coming back here to sleep, so he doesn't worry.”

They watched as Angela opened Harry's door and poked her head inside... then she disappeared and the door shut behind her.

“Um... did he just...” Lauren stopped talking and the three of them listened intensely for several minutes, just to see if anything else happened. They didn't hear anything.

“I think he's keeping her.” Jessica said and her voice had the sound of finality to it.

Bella's heart thumped in her chest and she wasn't sure why those words had hurt her.

“Let's get some sleep.” Lauren said and the three of them looked at the floor with the sleeping bags for several minutes without moving. “Should we stay in the bed?”

Bella and Jessica nodded and the three of them piled under the covers and fell silent once more, their minds going over everything that had happened.

*

Harry opened his eyes and wasn't surprised to see a pair of bright brown eyes staring back at him. “Good morning.”

Angela didn't blush, which surprised him. “Good morning.”

“Morning breath kiss?” Harry asked with a smirk.

Angela raised her eyebrows a little, then shrugged and gave him a closed mouth kiss. “If I can put your thing in my mouth after what you did with it, kissing you in the morning isn't that big of a deal.”

“I distinctly felt the lack of tongue this time.” Harry joked and she huffed.

“It was the first time for me, too.” Angela said. “I was pretty much making it up as I went.”

Harry reached over and caressed her cheek. “I wasn't complaining. You saw my reaction.”

Angela let a smug smile show on her face. “I think we both did really well last night.”

Harry nodded and sat up. “What would you like for breakfast?”

Angela sat up as well. “It's the weekend and you shouldn't have to cook. How about take-out?”

Harry smiled. “Breakfast burritos it is.”

“I want the sausage and egg combo.” Angela said and climbed off the bed. “Do you want me to ask the girls what they want?”

“No, I'll do it.” Harry said and hopped out of bed, stripped off right there in front of her, and pulled on fresh clothes. When he looked at her face, it was flushed red and she was biting her lip. “I don't have to be at the hardware store until after lunch.”

Angela's flushed face increased in redness before she stepped close and gave him another closed mouth kiss. “Brush your teeth.”

Harry chuckled and opened his bedroom door. He stepped out and stopped walking to listen. He didn't hear anything, so he went downstairs to use the bathroom and to wash up a bit. When he came back upstairs, Bella's door was open and the four girls seemed to be in a silent staring contest.

“I'm making a food run for breakfast burritos. Any preferences?” Harry asked. That seemed to break whatever stalemate the girls had and he took their orders. He gave Bella, Lauren, and Jessica a pointed look, then he gave Angela a searing kiss that lasted several seconds. He left the room after that, his point that they were together was firmly made, and he left the house to run into town.

*

“So, you did get back together.” Lauren said.

“Before you ask, it was just the once.” Angela responded.

“What? No morning nookie?” Jessica asked, shamelessly.

Angela blushed a little before she spoke. “He doesn't have to be at the hardware store until after lunch.”

“We already said we were going with Mike and his friends today.” Jessica said and pouted.

“It's not like Harry was going to let us watch if we stayed here.” Lauren commented.

Bella groaned and rubbed a hand over her face. “Can we not talk about my brother's sex life? Please?”

Angela nodded while Jessica and Lauren thought about teasing them a little more, then relented.

“Bella lives here, so she gets to shower first.” Jessica said, magnanimously.

“Thanks for your consideration.” Bella said with a roll of her eyes, which made the other girls laugh.

Harry soon came back with breakfast for everyone, with a double helping for himself and Charlie. The girls sat at the small kitchen table while Harry and Charlie sat in the living room to eat. The phone rang and Bella answered it.

“Angela? It's for you.” Bella said and handed the phone to her.

Angela took it and listened for several moments before she agreed to whatever was said and hung up. “Harry, I have to leave when Jessica and Lauren do. Mom's not feeling well and I've got to take care of the house.”

“I can take you now if you want.” Harry offered.

“I can't ask you to drive me all the way across town, just to drop me off, when Jessica's going that way anyway.” Angela said.

“If you're sure.” Harry said and she nodded.

Charlie left as soon as he was done eating and Harry went up to his room to stay out of their way while the girls had their showers. Each of them took a turn to clean themselves up and dressed for the day, with Jessica borrowing one of Bella's outfits.

“All right, that does suit you a lot more than it does me.” Bella admitted.

“You've got great taste!” Jessica said and did a little twirl. The fluffy beige skirt flared out and swished enticingly and the peach colored blouse billowed slightly without revealing anything, even though it hinted that it would.

“I think it would wash your skin tone out if you wore it, Bella.” Lauren said and used her hands as she helped Jessica settle the outfit down after that display, so it sat properly and made her look great.

“As if I needed even more reasons to not wear it.” Bella responded and they all laughed.

“I'll take good care of it. I promise.” Jessica said and admired herself in the mirror. “Mike is going to be drooling.”

“The supreme goal of all women everywhere.” Harry said from the doorway. Four surprised 'eep' sounds came from the girls as they spun to stare at him.

“How long have you been here?” Bella accused him. She wasn't sure why she was angry at him.

“I've lived here nearly all my life, thanks.” Harry said with a smirk.

“I meant at the door.” Bella snapped.

“About fifteen minutes, so I missed seeing Jessica only wearing panties by a minute or so.”

The four girls gasped and then four angry faces stared at him.

“I'm joking!” Harry said and raised his hands. “I literally just opened the door to see Jessica's twirl.”

“Why did you do that?” Angela asked, her anger fading slightly. She did notice that Bella's wasn't.

“Mike just pulled up with the guys.” Harry said and pointed out Bella's window. “I came to get you, since I know you don't want to make them wait longer than necessary.”

Three of the girls nodded.

“Grab your stuff and let's go.” Jessica said and she, Lauren and Angela quickly packed up their things.

“I'll see you tomorrow.” Bella said and gave each girl a hug as they left the room.

Angela glanced at her for a moment before she pulled Harry into a hug and a decent kiss. She left before either Bella or Harry could say anything about it. All the cars in the driveway left and silence filled the air.

“So.” Bella said into the quiet room.

“Yeah.” Harry said back.

Bella turned around to put her back to him and she wasn't sure why she was feeling the way she was feeling. She caught her breath when Harry's arms went around her from behind and he hugged her tenderly.

“Now I know what Sam feels like.” Harry whispered and Bella gasped.

“H-Harry... you...”

“I love you, Bella. I always have.” Harry said and kissed her cheek. “I thought... I had hoped...” He sighed and eased his hold on her to turn her around to face him. “I'm sorry that you didn't feel the same way, despite my attempts to see if you cared for me, too.”

Bella blinked her eyes at him several times, too surprised for words.

“I know I shouldn't have had any expectations, especially when you came back and didn't ask me a single thing about who I was or what I've been doing for ten years.”

Bella was shocked that he had said almost the exact same thing that Angela had. She really didn't know him and hadn't made any effort at all to change that. She started living there and her mindset hadn't changed, either. She could have been living in a house with two strangers and her attitude and demeanour wouldn't have been any different.

“I'm sorry.” Bella said as tears came to her eyes, because she was actually living with two strangers.

“It's not your fault.” Harry said and she wiped at her eyes. “I should have said something about it.”

Bella huffed in a great imitation of Jessica. “Is it your responsibility to get me to stop being a bitch?”

Harry's eyebrows raised at her tone and the curse. “Bella, you're not...”

“I've been treating you and Charlie like I always treat you. Like strangers. People who don't know me.” Bella said. “I didn't even try to get to know you, because Charlie was my absentee father figure that didn't care enough about me to fight for custody, and my brother never once came to visit me.”

Harry opened his mouth to argue that they never had the money to drive there, let alone fly.

Bella held up a hand to stop him. “I know... now... what's been going on. I didn't know that for the ten years that I was growing up. I thought... I thought you didn't want... that you didn't care...”

Harry wrapped his arms around her and held her as she cried. It took almost ten minutes before she calmed down enough to speak.

“I'm sorry I didn't give you a chance.” Bella whispered.

“Me, too.” Harry said and let her go. “Angela's mine now. I've claimed her.”

Bella looked indignant for a second. “Did you tell her that?”

“Of course I did.” Harry said and almost laughed at the surprised look on Bella's face. “She's relieved, honestly.”

“She... she... really?” Bella asked.

“Yes. Soul bonds are finicky like that.” Harry said. “The more possessive and protective I am, the more she feels safe and secure.”

“That... that doesn't make sense! She should feel trapped and cornered, not safe!” Bella spat.

Harry chuckled at her indignation. “Angela can literally feel the love I have for her. Showing her that I'll protect her with everything I have, makes her feel safe, because it proves that I would do anything for her.”

Bella's hand touched the wolf head pendant that hung around her neck. “Did you make her one, too?”

“No, she doesn't need it. She has the panther spirit inside of her now.” Harry said and Bella gasped. “Yeah, if anyone threatens her, they're going to regret it.”

*

Angela stood over the prone form of her crying father. He held a bloody hand over the set of claw marks that had torn through his chest when he tried to grab her during their argument. His efforts to staunch the blood were weak at best.

“I need to call an ambulance!” Angela said, a little panicked, and knelt on the floor beside him. She bundled up the man's shirt and pressed it into the wounds as she thought about what had just happened.

“You... slut.” Her father angrily whispered.

A ghost paw lashed out and tore part of the man's face off. He didn't scream and only whimpered as a cold look passed over Angela's face.

“I guess Harry was right. He'll protect me from everyone... even from you.” Angela said and stood. She was no longer concerned about the man that was bleeding to death on the kitchen floor. She wasn't sure how she was going to explain what happened, however.

The telephone rang and she picked it up.

“Hello?” Angela asked.

“Angela? I just felt...” Harry started to say.

“My dad didn't like that you're my mate.” Angela interrupted.

“Oh, fuck.” Harry cursed. That was so unlike him that she had to smile, despite the blood on her hands.

“He's bleeding out.” Angela said and looked at the man on the floor. “Bled out. He's not breathing anymore.”

Harry was quiet for nearly a full minute. Angela didn't speak or tried to get him to say something. She knew he was thinking hard about what to do next.

“Don't touch anything else and don't tell your mom anything.” Harry said. “I'll be right over.”

“Thank you, Harry.” Angela said with gratitude.

Harry took a deep breath and let out a sigh. “It's my fault.” He said. “Doubly so.”

“You protected me, without even being here, and I love you for that.” Angela said. “Mom's asleep and will be for a while. She hates being sick and took a couple of sleeping pills.”

“All right. Good. That's good.” Harry said. “See you soon.”

“Love you.” Angela said and hung up without waiting for him to say it back, because she knew he loved her. She looked down at the cooling blood on the floor and was surprised that she didn't have the urge to either lap it up or to throw up. She was sure that she was in shock, because lapping up blood was not a normal thought for her.

Harry showed up fifteen minutes later wearing old clothes and carried an old carpet. He unrolled it and bundled the body, the bloody clothes, and the mop he used to clean up the blood. When he was done of the grizzly act, Angela stood there and stared at him.

“Angela, I... I'm sorry.” Harry said.

Angela took a step forward and the head of the ghost panther eased out of her chest to look at him.

“You made a mess.” Harry admonished it and the thing made a scoff sound. He sighed and placed his hands on the sides of its face and rubbed his thumbs across the glands of its cheeks as his fingers dug into the space behind its ears. The loud rumbling purr echoed in the kitchen.

“Mmmm.” Angela moaned, then her lips were on Harry's and their clothes seemed to disappear. Angela bent over the kitchen table for him and cried out when Harry forcibly entered her without prepping her first. She didn't care, though. The power she felt from him, from her protector, made her forgive him instantly. Thankfully, the sounds of their passion didn't escape the house.

Half an hour later, Harry drove away from the house with a conspicuously bumpy old carpet in the truck's bed.

*

“I almost thought you were going to be a no-show.” The manager at the hardware store said with a smile as Harry entered through the front door.

“Really? Already?” Harry asked and the man laughed.

“Gossip travels faster than light around here.” The man said. “I'm glad you finally manned up and forgave her.”

Harry held in a sigh and nodded.

“We've got a shipment of peat moss coming in this afternoon for the big sale tomorrow.” The manager said. “I've already cleared a nice spot in the middle aisle for it.”

“Do you want it left on the pallet or stacked all pretty like?” Harry asked with a southern drawl to make the man laugh.

“Display Three, please. We can just roll out the next pallet and leave five bags for people to notice.”

Harry nodded and went to set it up. He also had to make enough space between the loading dock at the back of the store to where the display would be, and ensure that a clear path was available. He did not want to bang anything or knock anything over on the way by. He had just finished when the delivery truck showed up.

Both he and the manager helped the men to unload the truck, as all good people did to make everyone's jobs easier and quicker. There were four large pallets full of the bags of peat moss and they both expected it to fly off the shelves, with such a cheap price.

“I wish I had more to invest in stuff like this when it comes onto the market.” The manager said as he secured the last pallet and Harry shut the loading dock's large sliding door.

“That could be both good and bad.” Harry said and the man gave him an inquisitive look. “This might not be a good growing season and you'll be left with stock that you can't give away, let alone at a cheap price.”

“I never thought of it like that.” The manager said.

“You get what you can, turn it over as fast as you can, and then you can worry about the next thing.” Harry said with a shrug. “If we do sell out quickly, like we both know it will, you'll have more money available for the next big thing to come out.”

The manager smiled and nodded. “Thanks, Harry.”

“You taught me everything I know about the hardware business.”

The manager clapped him on the back. “Just for that, I'll help you roll the first pallet out.”

“That's great.” Harry said, sarcastically. “The one time I don't actually need your help, you offer it.”

The man laughed and the two of them brought the pallet out to the right spot in the middle aisle.

*

“We found another body.” Paul said as he knocked on Charlie's open office door at the police station.

“Wonderful.” Charlie said without a hint of sarcasm. “Where and when?”

“About an hour ago, ten miles outside of town. It looks freshly dumped.”

Charlie sighed loudly and Paul nodded. They both knew what that meant for both the mayor and the town. Having people check in when they wanted to go for a walk in the woods and then check again when they left the woods, was going to be a huge pain in the ass. They hadn't even gotten the helicopter in to get the last hiker's body yet and now they had another to deal with.

“Load up the crew and get the paramedics on the scene to check the body.” Charlie said and stood. “I'll go grab the same hunter that we took along the first time.”

Paul gave him a questioning look. “Do you want to prove him right or wrong about the mountain lion?”

“By this point, I don't think it matters. One way or the other, we've got four dead bodies.” Charlie said and grabbed his jacket. “Let's go.”

*

Bella stewed in her own mind as she cooked up a big pot of beef stew. She had brooded all day over the revelations that Harry had given her, both physical and emotional. Her face heated up at remembering the physical part, because she also remembered feeling it against her stomach and seeing the tip poking out of his underwear. She hadn't realized how much it could change from one state to the other.

“Stop thinking about it, Bella.” Bella warned herself and stirred the stew. “It's Angela's now and it's off limits.”

“What's off limits?” Harry asked from behind her.

“AH!” Bella gasped and nearly jumped out of her skin at his words. The wooden spoon she had been using, flew out of her hand and sailed across the kitchen. It hit the wall and fell to the floor with a clatter and a splat.

Harry had to fight to not laugh at her. “S-sorry. I always come home for supper when I'm working. Carl doesn't allow food in the store.”

Bella's cute glare almost set Harry to laughing as she stalked across the room and picked up the spoon. “You need to wear a bell or something.”

Harry smiled. “I banged the screen door. It's not my fault you were lost in your own little world.”

Bella huffed and went to the sink to wash the spoon off. “You can clean up the mess you made.”

“Of course.” Harry said and did that as Bella went back to the stove and tended to the stew once more.

“It's almost ready.” Bella said and Harry put the proper dishes onto the table for himself, Bella, and Charlie. She filled all three bowls with delicious smelling stew. “Is he coming home, too?”

“He usually does.” Harry said and grabbed two bread rolls before he started eating.

Bella nodded and sat down herself. The pair ate in silence and Harry quickly finished his meal.

“I gotta go. See you tonight.” Harry said and leaned across the table to kiss her cheek.

Bella leaned away before she could stop herself.

“Sorry. I guess I shouldn't do that anymore.” Harry said and stood. “Bye.”

Bella just nodded and watched Harry leave in a hurry. She sighed and closed her eyes. Her hurt feelings had made her react automatically and her mind had filtered what happened into the 'I need to stay away from that' category. She also didn't want to think that she would ruin a friend's relationship, just because she liked the guy, too.

“Oh, god.” Bella groaned and dropped her head into her hands. “Stop it, brain! I don't like him like that!”

“Who are you talking about?” Charlie asked from behind her.

“AH!” Bella gasped and jumped. She was glad that she didn't have a stew covered spoon in her hand this time.

“Sorry, Bells.” Charlie said and walked around her to sit down. “It smells good.”

“Thanks.” Bella said. “I can freshen it up if it's not hot enough.”

“It's fine.” Charlie said with a spoon halfway into his mouth. He grabbed a bread roll and kept eating.

Bella finished off her own bowl and took it and Harry's to the sink. “Are you going back to work?”

“Unfortunately.” Charlie said and grabbed two more rolls to stuff into his coat pockets.

“That's not very sanitary.” Bella said.

“I'll be too hungry to care later.” Charlie said and walked over to kiss the top of her head. “I'll be late, so don't wait up.”

Bella nodded. She understood that he meant to lock everything up, even if Harry wasn't at home. She waited for him to leave before she cleared off the table and washed the dishes. With nothing else to occupy her time, she went up the stairs and stopped at her bedroom door. Harry's door was closed and she was very tempted to go inside and check on a few things.

“No, that ship has sailed.” Bella said, a little sadly, and went into her room. She changed for bed and climbed under the covers, only for her mind to wander and go over everything she had already gone over all day. She took several long and deep breaths, then she closed her eyes and willed her mind to just let it go for now.

Bella was surprised when her mind did exactly that. The angst fell away, the image of Harry's manly softness faded from her imagination, and her hurt feelings over being rejected by him seemed to disperse into both regret and acceptance. She soon fell asleep and it was more peaceful than any sleep she had ever had before.

*

“And that's what I did.” Harry told his mentor, Old Harry.

The experienced Native American could only slap a hand over his own face at his protege's stupidity. He needed to ask something, just to make sure he got it. “You're telling me that you dumped a mangled body, with all identification still on it, where anyone with a normal set of eyes would find it?”

“Normal?” Harry asked, a little confused.

Old Harry couldn't stop his sigh as he looked at Harry. “You have forgotten one very important fact about the bodies that have been found so far, so this ploy... trick... cover-up... isn't going to work.”

“I don't understand. I checked the marks and they're so close it's not funny. It does look like the other bodies.” Harry said. “He even bled out, so there's no blood left in the body.”

Old Harry didn't say anything for several moments and let the young man try to work it out for himself.

Harry thought about it for the same amount of time and then caught his breath. “It's not remote enough.”

“Bingo.” Old Harry said. “Each of the others was in far away spots from any civilization. Yours was just outside of town and barely out of sight of the road.”

“I don't think several hundred feet away from the road and partially buried in a ditch, can be called barely out of sight.” Harry countered.

“It is when compared to a dozen miles.” Old Harry said.

Harry didn't say anything and just slumped in the chair. “I couldn't go any further than that. I had to get to work.” He admitted. “No stashing it until later, either. That would have been a disaster.”

Old Harry nodded and didn't comment.

“So, what do I do?” Harry asked.

“There's nothing you can do. They already found it.” Old Harry said.

Harry sat up straight in the chair. “Already? How?”

“Probably the same way we all know that you and Angela are a mated pair.” Old Harry said with a sly smile.

Harry didn't try to deny it, not that he would, because she was his now. “The panther spirit loves her.”

“As do you.” Old Harry said. “That's why her not watching Bella hurt you so much.”

“I... yeah. That's true. I trusted her with my most precious Bella and she almost let her get hurt.” Harry whispered. “Or die. She could have died.”

Old Harry reached over and put a hand on his shoulder. “How would you have felt if it was Angela that was hurt and she had pushed Bella out of the way?”

Harry's entire body stiffened and a growl came out of his mouth. “I would have dropped to my knees and thanked her by pledging the rest of my life to her.”

Old Harry squeezed his shoulder and let it go. “Then you know what you have to do.”

Harry nodded and stood up. “I doubt she will give me an answer. It's too soon.”

“I think you will be surprised by her reaction, my young friend.” Old Harry said, wisely.

Harry couldn't stop his smile and left his mentor's house. He had a couple of things to do before he had to go to Angela and ask her a very important question.

Will you marry me?

28