137. Eclipsed
2.3k 15 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning: Violence, death, blood

Almost everyone on the Duma looked anxious. There were murmurs among the king's mages, and his archers. My companions stayed quiet but they looked a lot more uneasy now too.

"Impossible!" the king shouted at me. "You're but one fae, you can't control the magic of the entire world!"

I was still having trouble staying calm. My heart felt like it was going to burst the way it was racing, and I clenched my hands into fists to stop them from shaking. I glanced downwards and my eyes widened as I realized there were a dozen or so small pebbles levitating up off the ground around my feet. They were only floating a few inches up, and I hoped nobody else noticed them.

After a few more deep breaths I looked back at the king and replied, "Oh but I can, thanks to the Duma. They're connected you see, all the Duma Dé in Otherworld. They're part of the living force of the world. They connect Otherworld to all other worlds, and they're the source of all our magic. And I've just taken that away."

I watched them fret as I continued, "No magic, no spells. No crossing worlds, no teleporting. No magic to grow crops or guide the weather. No magic for war, no magic for healing."

The king and his mages looked more and more upset as I spoke. Finally the king gestured and both groups of mages surrounded him as they all started to talk in hushed voices. Only one mage stayed put, the one with the hood hiding his features remained at the far left.

While the others were convening with the king, that hooded mage moved a few paces further away from the others then stopped again. He seemed to be just watching me as he stood there leaning against his staff. I figured he was on magical guard duty or something, keeping an eye on me while the others were busy consulting with the king.

I looked back at the king and his mages again. From their slightly frantic expressions, I assumed they were trying to figure out exactly what I'd done and whether or not they could undo it. Or maybe they were debating whether killing me would restore the magic or leave it gone forever.

"Babe," Kelly asked nervously. "You know without magic, we're pretty badly outnumbered?"

"I know," I replied. I was trying to speak quietly but my voice wavered as I continued, "I'm hoping to scare them into cooperation."

Keira asked, "And if you can't? If they decide to attack without magic?"

I glanced around at my companions, then said in a half-whisper "The demonstration isn't over yet. But just in case, be ready to fight."

Merryweather flitted up to me on my right and apologized "I cannot become invisible without magic, Lady Tegan. Without magic I'm not much help at all I'm afraid."

My voice wavered more as I said, "I'm sorry. I didn't consider how this would affect you and the other pixies. Perhaps just stay with Keir-"

The tiny enby suddenly vanished as I was speaking, and appeared standing on Keira's shoulder.

"Uh yeah, that's perfect." I said with a slight grimace.

Merryweather looked startled as they glanced back at me. "Ok... I'll just stay here then."

Twenty meters away the king finally concluded his little conference with his mages. They moved back to their positions, four to the right and four on the left. That last mage remained on his own, further away to the left of the others.

The king called to me, "Can you reverse this?"

I was clenching and unclenching my hands now, and trying hard not to let the rest of my body shake or tremble. I could feel and hear quiet little snaps and crackles like static electricity coming off my fingertips, and there were more little stones starting to rise up from the ground around me.

I called back, "Of course. Will you leave me alone? Will you drop all the charges against my family and friends, and swear to absolve my clann and leave them all in peace?"

His expression shifted to a glare, he obviously didn't like that I had this advantage. He and Odhran exchanged some more angry words.

From their perch on Keira's shoulder, Merryweather said quietly "Lady Tegan? There are three crows circling overhead."

That wasn't good news. I glanced up in time to see them all swoop down. They settled at the southern edge of the plateau, the three of them seemed to be just watching. Their position was about even between our side and the king's. I hoped that meant they weren't choosing sides, that maybe they were just here to watch.

While I was looking at the crows to the south, Siobhan said softly "One of the mages is on the move, possibly to flank us on the left."

It was the one who'd left the group earlier. His hood was still up and he was slowly moving further left away from the king and the other mages. He seemed to be heading to the north-most point of the plateau. I glanced back to the south, where the three crows were still resting.

Apart from Merryweather and Siobhan, I wasn't sure if anyone else even noticed the crows or the hooded man. Or if they did, maybe they didn't understand the significance. For now I tried not to let them distract me from my plan.

I did my best to keep my voice low and calm as I replied to Siobhan, "Ignore him. I'm pretty sure he's not part of this."

My attention was drawn back to the king again as he shouted, "You forget yourself child! Without magic you're helpless. We may not be able to cast spells, but I still have an army behind me!"

I finally allowed myself to smile, though it might have been a grimace. The energy was burning within me and I wasn't sure I could contain it or hide it much longer.

My smile grew wider as I shouted back at him, "Oh I'm sorry! You assumed because the rest of Otherworld is without magic, that I can't access it either. But that's not how it works. See, I took away the magic, but it had to go somewhere!"

The first time we met, Taralynn told me I would one day eclipse her. That day was today. I just hoped what I was about to say wouldn't get me in trouble with my great-great-grandfather or his wife.

I took another deep breath and announced loudly, "It's all flowing into me, Cathal! In a world without magic I'm not helpless. I'm a fucking goddess!"

My eyes flared like the sun as I thrust my right fist upwards and let the magic out. The power punched upwards and the low grey overcast that had shrouded the Duma for millennia was blasted away. But instead of the plateau being flooded with sunlight, it actually went dark as the sun itself seemed to blink out. The sky overhead turned black and the only light came from the stars twinkling above us.

Not that I actually removed the sun or anything like that. It was still there, just hidden behind a truly epic illusion. Nobody else knew that though, and I figured taking away all the magic then taking away the sun was probably enough to convince every fae alive not to mess with Tegan Vale.

While everyone else was stunned into complete silence, I was actually able to relax a little. The spell I used on the Duma actually changed the way they worked. Instead of diffusing power out into the world, they were all just pumping it directly into me. So rather than struggling to maintain control over the Duma, I'd been struggling to control the enormous amount of magical energy that was flooding into me.

I had no idea what that may have done to my body, but I figured the fact that I was still alive meant it wasn't too bad. And with a large chunk of that power now being diverted upwards and out into space to keep the sun hidden, I was able to focus on other things. Like keeping us all safe.

Not that anyone else knew it, but if the king or his men did manage to kill me right now it wouldn't set the world right. I was almost sorry I wouldn't get to see the look on their faces if that happened. Of course the Gods would likely intervene at some point and reverse my spells, but until then all of Otherworld would probably be freaking out.

I was about to say the next part of my little speech when Prince Odhran suddenly stepped forward. He raised his bow as he shouted, "Let's see if a couple holes in you will release the magic!"

He loosed his arrow while I still had my right fist raised to the sky. He probably thought I was distracted, or that I couldn't do two things at once.

His arrow shattered when it struck my shield, and I let my right arm drop down by my side.

I fixed a cold glare on him and stated "Odhran, that's the second time you've tried to kill me. I still have the scars from your first attempt."

The prince was scrambling to set another arrow on his string, while the archers took that as their cue as well. They all raised and drew their bows, which prompted my group to do likewise. Padraig didn't bother with his bow yet, he just held my pennant high and trusted me to keep us all safe.

Behind Odhran the king muttered a quiet command, I was pretty sure he was telling his son to stand down. Whatever Cathal said, the prince ignored it. His eyes were still on me as he drew his bow and took aim.

Not that his second arrow would have any more success than his first, but I decided not to let him try again. It was time to spill some blood.

I gestured at him and released another spell. I'd never used this one before, but I knew it was deadly. And with all the magic in the world flowing through me, it came out a little stronger than I'd expected.

The entire plateau lit up brighter than the midday sun as Odhran's body was consumed in a blinding incandescent glow. It only lasted a second, then the Duma was in darkness again. The king and his mages stumbled back a few paces from the light and heat, blinking and staring. All that remained of the prince was a small scattering of ash resting in a circle of blackened ground and next to the puddle of molten iron that was his sword.

Then one of the mages caught my attention. He raised his staff and had it pointed at us as he attempted to cast a spell. I realized he might have some charged crystals with him, or perhaps his staff itself contained a reserve of power. Either way he didn't stand a chance.

My hand was still raised after eliminating the prince, I gestured towards the mage and released another spell. The result was similar to what I'd done to Sir Niall, but more.

Rather than countless streaks of darkness, it was like a black cloud of death condensed out of the air as it contracted inwards on him from all angles, faster than the eye could follow. The guy with the staff and the other three mages next to him were instantly reduced to a thin red stain soaking into the rocky ground.

Colm and Áine and the other archers didn't wait for orders, they released a volley of arrows, and my companions responded in kind. A dozen arrows shattered before they reached us, while three arrows and one crossbow bolt all struck Sir Colm simultaneously. The knight was probably dead before he hit the ground.

If the situation weren't so serious I might have laughed. Apparently everybody hated him.

Áine and the remaining archers quickly set fresh arrows on their strings, as did my girlfriends and Siobhan. Laoise reloaded her crossbow as quick as she could, but she was slower than the others.

Then Merryweather shouted "Behind us!" as they took off from Keira's shoulder. They drew their sword and dissolved into a point of light as they flitted back towards the western edge of the Duma Dé.

I turned in time to see about twenty soldiers had just come up the Duma from our camp. They had bows ready, and obviously meant to strike at us while we faced the king. Our pixie friend couldn't turn invisible or fly very fast without magic, but they'd rushed off alone to attack and distract the approaching soldiers.

"Padraig," I ordered as I raised a second shield behind us, "Help them."

He dropped my banner and grabbed his bow as he turned to face the group behind us. Keira and Laoise also turned to face the new threat. A moment later all three fired back at the soldiers behind us. Siobhan and Kelly continued facing the group before us.

There was one more volley of arrows from both sides to which my companions responded in kind, before the fighting stopped. The enemy finally realized they couldn't harm us, while they were all sitting ducks. The king looked like he was still in shock from the loss of his son, the surviving mages were more or less helpless, and neither archers or soldiers could touch us.

It felt like the conflict was all but over. I just needed them to surrender.

I fixed my eyes on the blonde archer and called, "Princess Áine, will you stand down and discuss terms?"

She gave me a surprised look and responded, "Why are you asking me? My father's the one in charge."

I looked to the north then to the south, hoping for some feedback from the divine spectators.

To my left, the cloaked man had let his hood down. I saw the face of a tall, handsome man with red hair and a red beard. He was watching me, and I saw a glint of amusement in his bright blue eyes as the corners of his lips twitched slightly upwards.

To my right the crows were gone, and in their place stood a tall slim woman. She had long flowing black hair and was dressed in a black gown or robe. Her dark eyes were on me as well, but her expression didn't suggest anger or disapproval. She didn't look amused either, she just looked interested. Our eyes met and I felt a chill go down my spine. She gave me one very slight nodd of her head though.

My attention returned to the princess and I shook my head, "Not any more. I may spare his life, but Cathal is no longer king of Otherworld."

"What?!" Cathal roared angrily. He drew his sword and stalked towards me. He took a breath to shout something else, but his words were cut off by my spell.

His body was engulfed in swirling light. A second later the light faded and he was gone. All that remained were his clothes in a pile on the ground, with his sword and his crown laying atop them.

"Queen Áine," I called to her again. "I ask you to stand down so we may discuss terms."

She looked to where her brother had been, then at her father's clothes for a few moments. Finally she glanced up at the dark sky overhead, before her eyes returned to me. Áine replied, "Lady Tegan Vale of Clann Brádaigh, I submit. I am ready to hear your terms."

If you're enjoying our work and you'd like to support us, please consider joining our patreon & get early access to new chapters! Patrons have already read chapter 144 and several bonus chapters, and you could too!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

118