8: Why are we so different?
409 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

8: Why are we so different?

David’s view

Waking up on my couch was a new experience. Osia was on the bed staring at me, and … Revenna was still fucking Jessica… the other me. She did say she wanted to fuck me as I fell asleep.

“Uh, hi.”

“You really do feel different. Not like Jessi at all.”

“What? I’ve not even done anything yet.”

“Yeah, and just your attitude alone is different. Your eyes are looking at me in a way other guys do, not like Jessi does.”

“Sorry. I guess I should go.”

“Yeah, I don’t think it’s good to have someone only awake at night here.”

… it was different? Am I looking at ladies in a bad way as David? I didn’t even realize I was doing it… though her breasts were pretty great… I never had that thought as Jessica, did I… damn, I really am different as David. As Jessica… I think I just compared our chest sizes at times, and wondered if I should make mine bigger. Never did do that though. Magic is pretty great… why would I want bigger breasts? How… how much do I change between the two lives?

I went back to the dungeon, and headed outside. The slimes are no threat to me, and I actually have a more secure sleeping tool than just the tent. The tent is really just a cover so people don’t realize what I’m actually doing. Now that I don’t have companions, I don’t need to take such risks as relying entirely on a monster repelling tent for safety. I’ve got a secure portable chamber to sleep in, that creates an illusion of me sleeping above it. Place the rune-stone on the ground, turn it on, and it makes a sleeping space for me in the ground and once closed, it produces the illusion so anyone who finds my tent will think I’m just sleeping inside like a normal person.

… why did I just spend so much time explaining that? It’s not like anyone is listening to my thoughts, as I narrate to myself… *sigh* probably trying to distract myself from how lovely Osia looked… Damnit. I get aroused just remembering as David, yet Jessica was never affected by seeing that. Making me wonder if I’m really even the same person living two lives, or if there’s two people who just think they’re the same person because they share memories. Damnit, what am I?

When I got to the nearest town, I was surprised to see the priest there.

“Weren’t you going to report me?”

“I did… they told me you were the chosen hero, and the holy blessing couldn’t be wrong. I-I’m supposed to continue to accompany you.”

I decided to try something, reaching for the holy magic I now had access to, I summoned up a ball of holy light.

“This holy power?”

“Yeah. No demon can wield it, only those chosen by god can.”

“Huh.”

I dismissed the light. It really was a bane of demons, but the reason was a bit different from what old fantasy tales of my past life would have led me to believe… or did I just inherit memories from some guy who wasn’t really me? How would I even know?

Ah, um, back on topic, (begone foul thoughts, begone!) the reason holy light is a bane to demons, is that it will suppress magic. All that enchanting I did to my armor? Suppressed in the light. Demons rely heavily upon enchantments. Their horns are very powerful magic items that can be suppressed by holy light, rendering them far weaker than normal. On top of this, holy magic can be used to dispel spells that have a duration, or to disrupt a spell as it’s being cast. So few demons learn to fight with only their natural abilities, that the effects of holy light are quite devastating to most.

Humans on the other hand, have much more rudimentary knowledge of magic, and do not rely upon enchantments at all. Well, except for that one mage weirdo who’s off to learn demon magic.

“So, hero, what are we doing now?”

“That’s a good question. We did clear the slime dungeon. I guess the next on the official task list is to challenge the next dungeon not too far from here.”

I suddenly had a sinking feeling as I said this. The next dungeon… it was probably also the next town Jessica would be visiting. What’s going on? At this rate, she will be officially crowned as the demon king at the same time that I begin entry into the dungeon at the capital. This can’t be a coincidence… stop thinking about Osia, David. Stop, damnit! *sigh* It can’t be good for me to envy my other self so much.

“Are you sure we can do this with just the two of us?”

“Well, I’m accustomed to hunting monsters alone, so I’m not worried about my own ability. I am a little worried about you though.”

“I am protected by my faith. I just can’t offer much help if I’m under attack. If I must make use of my faith shelter, I won’t be able to do anything else but defend myself.” 

“That’s enough. I don’t need help. I’ve done this long enough without support to not be concerned about myself at all.”

“Haaah, you’re certainly as confident as the stories say.”

… If only I had the same level of confidence in my judgement and decisions as I do in my fighting ability. Ever since I realized this world was real, I’ve begun to question my past actions. Killing an ancient dragon for some Noble’s trophy… aren’t dragons supposed to be intelligent? Did I just up and murder some dragon for no good reason? … and I don’t really have any friends in this life either.

12