[4] Persistent darkness
1.4k 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi,

Here is the fourth chapter, enjoy.

 

The barrier has a crack!?

“Back off! Everyone!"

Myrani screamed at everyone, and a moment later, the barrier got a bit smaller, but the cracks closed. Even if the barrier was repaired, none of us could calm down because the wolves prepared another attack. And...

*Krrk*

A new crack appeared on the barrier.

"Come on! Back with you!"

Myrani was already breathing heavily, and she gasped for words. The barrier became suddenly smaller so that some rabbits couldn't react quickly enough. Even if a small part of their body was outside the barrier of the barrier, the wolfs were fast enough. They grabbed rabbits and pressed them under their paws or drag them to them.

The wolves made no move to disappear with the prey. It wasn't enough for them. They wanted more from us. A cold shiver ran down my spine because it was slowly getting very narrow under the barrier. I was worried that we would still have enough space if it continued like this.

"Auuuu!"

The wolves attacked again, but this time the barrier held. The wolves didn't stop and tried it again. And again. And one more time, but the barrier held up. The alpha wolf realized that they were in a losing dead-end.

The wolves talked in their language and slowly withdrew. Only when the wolves were out of sight did Myrani lower the barrier with Vond.

“Dear rabbits, please return to your caves as soon as possible. It's not safe yet. We have to assume that they will be watching this place for the next few days."

Myrani's voice was both concerned and admonishing. I couldn't speak for every rabbit family, but our family took the warning seriously, and we returned to the den.

The next few days were dull because none of us were allowed to leave the burrow except for Dad. We were only allowed to go outside when we were hungry or thirsty. Mom guarded the entrance and wouldn't let either of us out. Only after several days did our parents let us leave, but they set stricter rules than before, so we were only allowed to linger immediately in front of the burrow or together near the tree of Myrani and Vond.

 

=== Some days later

 

"Attack everyone back!"

The first rabbit families became careless when the wolves returned after a good 15 days. This time we were at our burrow from the start and hid in the lowest chambers.

The chambers of the burrow began to shake. Ef had the most fear among us and hid in the last corner.

"I've had enough!"

Dad was angry. Before we realized what was going on, he was already disappearing through the entrance. What then followed was the sounds of a comic fight. We heard noises like *boom*, *hiss*, *crack* or *bang*. After the noises ceased, I could hear something approaching through the tunnels of the building.

It was Dad who entered the room, it was hard to see in his black fur, but parts of his hair were soaked in blood.

“Ku!”

Mom hopped over to him, but he shrugged off.

"Don't worry. It's not my blood."

He said in his calm deep voice. Mom was visibly relieved and lay down on the floor next to him.

"Dad, what did you do?"

The first thing Si asked Dad was what was going on out there.

"Hmmm. This ash wolf was alone and tried to dig a hole in our den. So I couldn't let it alone. "

"And you are strong enough to defeat an ash wolf?"

This time I stepped in and asked Dad.

"...Yes. But it's not an easy fight. This time the wolf thought he was attacking the den of normal rabbits. He didn't expect us... no, me."

He paused.

“We can shoot fireballs and more, and normal rabbits can't do that, but they have their strengths elsewhere. Also, the fact that he was distracted and that I was able to surprise him also played a big part. In addition to being away from the pack, it was rather easy to inflict a deep wound on him before the actual fight began."

"Dad is strong!?"

Fe praised Dad in the highest tones. And Ef was able to calm down through Dad's work. But if the situation remained as it was, we would not lead a quiet life for a while longer.

"Dad, Mom, how often does a wolf pack target us?"

They both looked thoughtful at my question before Mom answered me.

“I never counted exactly, but between none and two times per warm period. I think Myrani would call it a year. "

Hmmm... between no to 2 attacks per year... 15 days have already passed, and there is no end in sight... If two such sieges take place a year, we have to live for up to a month under constant fear of being attacked. That sucks!?

"AUUUU!"

It was loud outside that the wolves had, as it seemed, discovered their dead comrade. Their howling became louder and louder above us, so I assumed that the wolves were gathering. The earth began to shake. We had rejoiced too soon...

"And now?"

Fe asked in a nervous voice.

“We will defend ourselves! This is o-! "

"Quiet!"

Fi wanted to answer Fe's question, but Mom stopped any further comment.

"You are quiet now. This is not a joke!"

Mom was furious. She looked angry and scared at the same time.

"Ki... it's my fault... I'll do something."

Dad tried to calm Mom down. But it was in vain because she ignored him. She stormed out of the room and disappeared in the exit. My siblings and I were shocked because we didn't know what was going on... Was our mom just sacrifice herself... for us?

“...”

The ground stopped shaking, but the howling of wolves stayed. But the howlers got quieter as if the wolves were moving away from the den.

"Dad, what about mom!?"

We all wanted to ask the same question, but Si was the first to ask the question.

Dad looked at each of us.

"All is well. Your mother can take care of herself! You will see her again, for sure! "

Dad's voice shook, which meant so much to me that he was lying. Nobody could run out of there into a pack full of wolves and survive it unscathed.

I lay down in the last corner, trying to pray for Mom. I didn't pray to god or gods. I just prayed for her safety, hoping someone would answer my prayers.

Si came to me and lay down next to me. I didn't resist. It was getting harder to hold my tears back.

I know Ki... Mom, we haven't known each other that long, but... you loved us all. Strangely, I could never see you as anything other than my mother despite my memories.

It was heavy on me, and I couldn't imagine how Si and the others must feel. Or dad...

How should I release new chapters?
  • 1chapter at midweek + 1 chatper at weekend Votes: 7 87.5%
  • 2 chapters weekend Votes: 1 12.5%
Total voters: 8 · This poll was closed on Oct 14, 2020 10:48 AM.
31