[16] The arena festival (1)
991 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Happy new year!

This and the following chapter switching the arcs from the current ending second arc (Captured) to the third arc.

 

=== The next day

 

* DaDaDaDoDoDoooo *

A harsh and loud trumpet tore me from my sleep. I hadn't slept so well that night, and it was early afternoon. I looked around and found that all the others were upset too.

*BAM!*

It was far too early for arena fights, but a small group of orcs burst in anyway. They gathered in front of the cage and began to discuss their plans.

“It's just because of these idiotic demons that we have to prepare this event. This continuous operation from the last few weeks has already caused enough damage. Our good reputation as an organizer had already suffered severely."

The orc in the center seemed very tense to me.

“And what's next? Why these rabbits?"

Another looked absent-minded.

“Idiot, this breed is one of Velora's favorites. The charm of these bunnies is that they can use all affinities of magic. Although the two most popular used fire and lightning."

The third orc taught the other.

"Enough now! We need these rabbits for the individual fights. Let's get them out and go."

The two remaining orcs agreed to the fourth orc and opened the gate.

Three rabbits had already been pulled out when one of the orcs grabbed Grandma. Si and I looked at each other because we were concerned. The orc put her in one of the transport boxes while another orc locked the cage in front of us.

The orcs left the room and left us behind.

 

=== late afternoon

 

It was getting unusually late when the stable gate opened, and a group of orcs entered. They approached the grid and stopped in front of it. One by one, the rabbits were put back in the cage.

Where is she?

I looked for Grandma, but the orcs closed the gate and left the stable.

"Where's Grandma?"

Confused, I spoke my thoughts out loud. The others' eyes were directed at me, and one of the rabbits who had to fight today came to Si and me.

"I'm sorry, but we don't know."

What!? You... you won't!

I didn't want to bring the thought to an end, but it was already floating in my mind and could no longer be suppressed.

*Poof*

I slumped to the ground. Si leaned against my side and tried to calm me down, but this whole situation reminded me of Mom's case. But I was sure that we wouldn't be as lucky as back then.

*Bam*

The gate of the stable opened one more time, and two unusually dressed orcs entered. They wore white coats and a larger transport box. Instead of opening our cage, they put the box right on the edge of the cell. Both left the stable, almost without a word, but I could hear a comment from one of them.

“This rabbit is lucky that it is a gold rabbit for Velora. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had to save it. With this injury, this was probably its last fight."

The gate closed, and we were among ourselves again. Without waiting, I ran to the edge of the cage and pounded the box through the bars.

"En, what are you doing!?"

Si ran to me and tried to stop me when an eye popped up through a crack in the box.

“Si, En? Why are you pounding around?"

The voice from the box was a bit weak, but...

That’s grandma’s voice, no doubt!

"Grandma, are you okay?"

I just squealed out my question. Even Si couldn't hold back and leaned against the box.

"It... was an uphill battle and ... Everything is fine, I just need to take a rest."

She lied. Her voice is weak, and her heavy breathing pauses in her sentences.

"Please... Go, let me rest a little bit."

I didn't mean to rely on it, but Si put her paw on mine. I looked at her, and she shook her head to signal that I should let it go. I nodded a little reluctantly, and she pulled her paw back. We both placed ourselves very close to the box to react immediately to changes within the box. I closed my eyes and tried to relax.

The pictures of our family appeared in my mind. I watched Mom and Dad watch over and take care of the others to this day. Everything seemed so harmonious, and despite the cold, the flowers were blooming as they had never done before. I could see Myrani and Vond sitting high up in the treetop and looking down over the rabbits. Each of them was so happy.

The images in my head went black, and next, something strange appeared. In the middle of the void, the darkness, appeared two huge red shining eyes. I tried to organize myself better to find out what was in front of me.

"You came."

The eyes moved away from me, and only then could I see the contours of the entire body to which the eyes belonged. The shadowy figure formed a grin. The gleamed white teeth made it clear that the smile was not a friendly one, but a malicious one.

Huge bars separated us from each other, but that didn't calm me down.

"What are you?"

"You."

"I? No way! You are not me."

A laugh came from my counterpart.

"And you know it, yes?"

The voice sounded amused, which worried me even more. My body was shaking, and I wanted to get out of here, but something told me not to turn away.

Two huge paws grabbed the bars, and the face leaned as close as it could to me.

"We are one! As soon as you realize your weakness, you will end up, and I will get my rightful place back."

After the answer followed a wicked laugh, and before I knew it, everything around me disappeared.

...

“En!”

A voice came through to me.

“En!”

It got louder, and I was able to recognize Si's voice.

“En!”

Her voice was booming in my head now, and I widened my eyes. In front of me were a pair of eyes staring at me. I jumped back in shock.

“Si! Do not scare me like that!?"

I saw a concerned look in Si’s eyes.

“En, you begged for help in your sleep and kept whispering that you were scared. Are you all right? Did you have a nightmare?"

"No, it's okay."

I looked at Grandma's box.

"Did she say something?"

"No. Not yet. "

"...OK."

I lay down in silence, listening to every sound while I waited for Grandma to wake up. Si was also nearby, but she passed the time with anything.

*Bam*

The door of the stable slammed open. Two people in coats and hoods came in. I couldn't see anything under their coats and therefore couldn't tell whether these two were actually orcs because they spoke softly in a language I couldn't understand.

“Si!”

I whispered to Si, who just came to me.

"Yes?"

"Those two... do you think they're orcs?"

Si turned her head at my question but then answered.

"No, I don't think so. They look... hmm... maybe more graceful?"

I agreed with Si. These figures looked more sublime than the orcs who came in and went out here every day.

They split up, each doing something at one end of the grid, but I couldn't see what it was. After they were done, they turned away and left the stable.

"What did these two want?"

Si turned to me and looked at me.

"Who knows."

24