[26] The end of the peaceful days.
510 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mom."

Viczien came to me and threw himself against my stomach. He pressed his head into my fur and closed his eyes. Silija followed him and sat down next to me.

"I think, Viczien will sleep for a while."

Silija made a satisfied and tired expression. She slowly laid down and looked over at me.

“What do you think the elves will do? As angry as they disappeared yesterday? They won't let go of it."

“I don't know… But I agree, they will return. They want him, and I won't allow it!"

I looked at the sleeping Viczien. His face had a satisfied expression. Every now and then, he would squeak in his sleep and twitch one of his feet.

I saw Crete coming towards us in small steps.

"Hey."

Crete waved to Silija and me.

"What's up?"

Silija asked Crete nonchalantly.

“Not much, well, no news. But I think it will be too dangerous to stay here."

"And what do you imagine?"

I asked, a little concerned, about her choice of words.

“Half a year has already passed, and it is slowly time to move on. Should I take Viczien with me because when the elves come back, I can't always be here?"

"You... you want to take him with you..."

"You can both come with me if you want, but you have to help me."

“Help with what? You never told us what you were actually doing? The only thing we know is that you help En to understand Core Eater."

Crete had to laugh.

“My tasks are diverse. Eris has seen Aigle's ability and, like Aigle, I can bring dead land back to life. This ability is only possessed by Aigle and me among the Hesperides and all other dryads. I travel to areas after wars and battles, after disasters and storms to bring the country back to life."

"That's all?"

Silija wasn't satisfied with this answer.

“~ Naah ~ Not precisely. I'm also there to free dryads or Ents from captivity, often the trees carry the message through the woods to another dryad who contacts Toth or me."

“Toth? I think you mentioned the name when we met for the first time."

“Ah, Toth is the abbreviation of Tree of the Hesperides. The tree itself is referred to as a scion of the world tree. Not even we know if this rumor is true."

"...can't you just ask Toth if it's true?"

She shook her head.

“Toth has had to keep the dragon Ladon in check since the beginning of time. That is also the reason why at least five of the eight Hesperides always have to be near Toth because if the dragon raise again, we have the duty to stop him."

"Crete, the trees are warning us."

I was surprised when Myrani suddenly appeared right behind Crete.

"What did you say?"

Crete gave Myrani a severe look.

“The elves are coming, but this time it's not a scouting mission. Viczien has to get out of here. They have their pets, the fog spiders, with them."

Fog spiders?

"To hell! How much time do we have?"

"They are still a little further away, but I expect that they will be here before nightfall."

"This is bad. So Eris, Silija, do you want to come with me or should I take Viczien with me? He can no longer stay here!"

Crete bit on her lower lip, and it looked to me as if she were nervous.

"What's up with the spiders?"

Silija asked Crete and Myrani directly.

“They don't live in this part of this forest, but the so-called ghost spiders live further north from here. Generations ago, these were domesticated and slowly transformed. It is similar to the story of how the wolf became a dog. These fog spiders were specifically trained to perceive movement. These predatory spiders do not need nets to catch their prey because they work with echolocation and venom."

Myrani answered Silija's question.

"What are we going to do now?"

I asked Silija. She looked a little confused between Myrani, Crete, and me.

"I don't know!"

She looked at little Viczien and just shook her head.

“I don't want to leave you guys. You and Viczien are part of my family, but I will lose the rest of the family again if I leave now. ...I'm sorry, but I won't go with you guys... Please En! Promise me that you will return!?”

Silija's voice was timid at first, but her last sentence had a severe tone because this was important to her. But it was just as important to me.

"Naturally! Even if it will be years before we meet again! I will return together with Viczien! I promise!"

I was determined to go with Crete because I did it not only because of Viczien but also for myself. Apate's soul fragment was still connected to mine. I had the feeling of myself being a ticking time bomb.

"When do we leave?"

I turned to Crete.

“Immediately, or do you have to pack your suitcase? Hehe."

She laughed but started to explain what she was saying.

"People have to carry everything with them, so they have to pack everything in sui-."

"I know."

I interrupted her immediately, with an emotionless to slightly annoyed tone.

“Huh? Then that's fine. Haha."

She laughed again and slowly lifted Viczien from my back. She leaned him slowly against her chest and gently moved her arm.

"Let's go."

She grinned and pointed into the distance with her free hand like a child.

She started to walk, and I had to rush after her. I turned around and said goodbye a second time.

"Si, Myrani, thank you for everything, and please excuse me to the others for not being able to say goodbye."

Myrani waved silently after me while Si called something after me.

"We'll meet again. I'm sure of it!"

I turned away and followed Crete through the tall grass. The direction in which she was going was known to me because it was the way to Ovid.

"Greetings, youngest of the Hesperides."

Ovid greeted Crete as we approached him. His voice was a calm, deep male voice.

"Has anything new reached you?"

It went quiet for a moment, and I heard the wind rustling the leaves of the trees.

“Lady Ishina let out her displeasure. One of the three dryads in her care has disappeared."

"Clues?"

Crete showed no emotion.

"I have no information, only that it is urgent."

"Other problems?"

"Just minor problems, nothing urgent."

“All right! That means we need to go to the blackhole. Eris, follow me!"

She said goodbye to Ovid and then pointed south.

21