Chapter 03
4.9k 5 116
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It’s kind of cold up here, hmm?”

As I flew line in line with Sistia, the cold winds intensified. They crashed into the wings of our wyverns, rocking their balance.

Wyverns were a subspecies of dragon. There were apparently, quite an abundance of dragons in this world. They were well-known for their fearsome power and also, their seclusion, as rarely would the common man be able to see a living dragon during his lifetime. They were all either holed up in caves or roaming in extremely hazardous environments. It was a pain to get to their living place, and an even bigger pain to deal with them if they were hostile. So unless you are an adventure team with the highest qualifications, no one with half a mind was actively trying to court death by finding dragons.

Wyverns, on the other hand, were much more common. They were inferior in terms of intelligence, but that turned out to be a good thing for breeders. They could tame the wyverns and train them for various purposes, the most common being a weapon of war.

Our kingdom, 《 Altria》, even before I transmigrated, has always been the leading nation when it came to wyvern breeding and as such, we had always had an edge in war. Other nations, if they wished to launch an offensive towards us, they should be prepared for a rain of fires from the sky that decimated their army, and if they were on the defensive, then our wyverns will tear through their forts and castles with aerial attacks that could not be retaliated.

This was the importance of air superiority. Military history from my old world has shown this fact crystal-clear, and I did not dare to go against well-established wisdom. Wyvern breeding and training was always on the top of our nation’s priority. They might not be as powerful as real aircrafts and jets from my world, but certainly they were a force to be reckoned with.

A huge wyvern air force also helped tremendously with administration. 《 Altria》was a kingdom with a very mixed population coming from various races. As such, a mobile and professional air squadron could also double as a local peacekeeping and scouting force, ready to tackle non-military tasks should they arise.

That was the original intent, but since 《 Altria》civilian life was relatively peaceful even before I became the queen, the wyverns best use now was mostly for symbolic or ceremonial purposes.

At this high up in the sky, the winds blowing through our wyverns were a bit cold against my skin, but it slowly, knot by knot, entangled my mind which up to now, were clouded in uncertainty.

“Do you feel better now, my mistress?”

Sistia intoxicating voice entered my ears.

“The winds are so strong and chilly, but I don’t despise it. It’s kind of refreshing.”

Here high up in the sky, all the buildings that we were so accustomed to its towering roof had been reduced to nothing but tiny little dots underneath our feet. The higher we flew, the more detached I felt to the world below me as if it were only a long dream, a dream from which I might get up any time. Sometimes I wonder, did this world truly exist? Or did my original world the fake one? My parents and acquaintances, were they still living their life right now, or were they just a product of imagination, having never for once come into existence?

“Mistress Anastasia, we should return now. I don’t want to see you catching a cold.”

I turned sideways to meet Sistia’s ruby eyes, full of care and warmth, in total contradiction to the rest of her ice-cold face. Her pink hair fluttered in the winds, while her black gown blended in with the eternal darkness of the night sky.

“Um, let’s go back.”

Thank you for reading up to this point! For now I have kept the chapters relatively short, but they will be longer when there is more meat to the story

116