Chapter 19: Dreams
1.6k 23 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the way back from the private celebration, Yan Yixuan slumped in the carriage, exhausted from performing the sword dance and all the socializing he had to do before and after. He drank from the waterskin containing the herbal concoction and grimaced tiredly at its taste.

Placed at one side of the carriage were the boxes containing the robes, swords, and other props the young man had used for his dance, along with the things he’d brought just in case the empress asked him to perform something else.

Opposite to the young man sat Ning Wei with his arms folded, brows furrowed, and eyes distant while lost deep in thought. After digesting the realization that he wanted Yan Yixuan, Ning Wei was now faced with a conundrum. By the way the young man seemed to have liked him from even before they met, yet hadn’t shown any intention to confess till now, Ning Wei knew that he had to be the one to take that first step. But as someone who had never had the time or care for romance before, trying to think of how to confess felt particularly problematic to the general.

Though he was more or less sure that the young man liked him as well, Ning Wei couldn’t help but agonize over how maddening it would be if his assumptions were wrong and he actually got rejected. But whether Yan Yixuan really liked him or Ning Wei had just misinterpreted his friendliness, Ning Wei was still determined to confess and court the young man.

But the question was, how exactly should he go about it?

Ning Wei’s forehead wrinkled even more. He supposed that as an official who was already used to hidden scheming and ferreting secrets, Yan Yixuan was not someone Ning Wei should even think of wooing with subtlety; he’d be found out immediately. Then that only left him with the direct approach. But how should he go about it?

Ning Wei tried to think back on the only ones he could take an example from—his parents. Though their marriage ended in a disaster after his mother betrayed his father and ran off with another man, it couldn’t be denied that his father’s initial courtship had definitely worked. Ning Wei tried to wrack his brains to remember any romantic gestures his father had ever mentioned before and suddenly thought of something.

In current times, there existed a tradition of gifting a bough of flowers to express one’s romantic intent. If the other person received it, then it was a sign of them accepting the giver’s advances. If they simply put it aside, then it meant that they were asking for time to consider the confession. If the bough of flowers had stayed untouched all the way through until it started wilting, then it meant that the giver’s advances were rejected.

Ning Wei narrowed his eyes with satisfaction. Yes, he would do that. He would wait for a day or two to put his thoughts in order, then find a bough of flowers to confess to Yan Yixuan while being direct yet discreet.

In the meantime, Yan Yixuan stared at the thoughtful Ning Wei with an amused smile. After a while, the young man’s eyes suddenly glittered with mischief. In a soft voice that wouldn’t jar the older man out of his thoughts, Yan Yixuan spoke, “Ning Wei, you must be thirsty. Here, have something to drink.” He then casually offered his waterskin with the concoction.

Lost in thought, Ning Wei nodded and absentmindedly took a big gulp from the waterskin, only to snap back into awareness while choking and spluttering.

Yan Yixuan snickered and leaned back in time to avoid the spray.

Ning Wei cursed furiously, “Fuck the heavens! Which layer of blistering hell did this demonic shit crawl out of?!”

Yan Yixuan collapsed into laughter while a coughing Ning Wei could only gaze unresigned at the waterskin in his hand and the mess he’d made. His gaze turned complex. If this had been with anyone else, his instincts honed in the dangers of many battles would have never allowed him to let down his guard enough to so easily imbibe the food or drink given to him. But with Yan Yixuan…

Ning Wei looked at the laughing young man with an unimpressed glare. “Has this lowly one managed to entertain your lordship enough?”

Yan Yixuan quickly recovered his composure and waved a hand imperiously. “It is adequate.”

There was a small pause, then the pair burst out chuckling as one, shedding the pompous act.

Ning Wei shook his head and handed the waterskin back to Yan Yixuan. “I ended up wasting a mouthful of it.”

Yan Yixuan grinned and shrugged. “It was worth it.”

The carriage slowed to a halt as they reached the residence. The pair descended the carriage and waited for the doors to open.

Ning Wei suddenly realized something. Wasn’t the waterskin he’d just drunk from something Yan Yixuan had just touched his lips to? Ning Wei felt his cheeks warming slightly and turned his face away from the young man. Staring at the ground, he guessed that consciously or subconsciously, Yan Yixuan seemed to have become comfortable sharing such intimacy with him.

As the general’s thoughts continued tumbling, Yan Yixuan interrupted him, “Ning Wei, just what mysteries do you see in the pavestones that you’re gazing at them so deeply?”

Ning Wei rolled his eyes and ruffled the young man’s hair into a mess as revenge for all the teasing. Yan Yixuan struggled while laughing and protested, “Hey! Stop that!”

Just then, the doors to the residence opened as Ruan Shu came out to welcome them home. Stopping their fooling around, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei entered the house and headed to their respective rooms to prepare for bed.

↢∘●∘↣

Ning Wei was having a nightmare.

He dreamed that he just came out of the torture chamber in the enemies’ camp after being rescued by unseen hands. He was still dripping blood from cuts while wisps of smoke wafted up from freshly burnt skin. His body was a mess of deep, throbbing pain, with broken bones, badly bruised muscles, and torn skin.

But before he could reorient himself to the world outside the torture chamber, Ning Wei felt his horse’s galloping body between his thighs and his sword’s familiar hilt in his grip. The din of battle slowly enveloped him, distant and echoing. Yet it was all a blur to his dazed eyes that had only seen pitch darkness this past week in the dungeon.

Alarm punched Ning Wei.

This wasn’t good. He was in a terrible state and unfit for battle. Where was Jian Lan? He needed to hand over command of the troops to him immediately!

But no matter where Ning Wei turned his gaze to, there were only blurs of light and shadows as indistinct figures in shining armor roared and crashed against each other. It was like a chaotic ink painting where the spills and swirls of ink moved and churned without rhyme or reason.

Ning Wei squeezed his eyes closed and rubbed his forehead strongly. He couldn’t make out a thing. His body was too heavy and so full of aches and pains that he could barely think through it. How was he supposed to lead his people or protect himself like this?!

When Ning Wei opened his eyes again, he saw that he was encircled by faceless, smoky forms of enemy soldiers. They pointed spears at him and demanded, “Surrender!”

Ning Wei blinked, trying to clear his hazy vision, and shook his head in rejection.

The circle of soldiers shifted and swelled. They growled with displeasure as they took a step forward as one, tightening the encirclement. “Surrender! Surrender! Surrender!” they chanted, each repetition more insistent that the previous.

Ning Wei shook his head again. His voice was hoarse and weak with fatigue as he replied, “I refuse!”

The encirclement squeezed closer and closer, hemming him in. Ning Wei felt alarmed and suffocated. His head spun, the ink smears of soldiers like a cloud of black smoke tightening around him, choking him.

He had to get away. He had to escape before he was captured once more! He couldn’t let down his people again!

A cylindrical wall suddenly thrust out of the ground with a loud rumble to stand between Ning Wei and the soldiers’ encirclement, protecting him. Silence suddenly echoed as the outside world was shut out.

Ning Wei startled. What was this? But the sense of anxiety he’d felt slowly disappeared. The horse under him and the weapon in his hand had long since vanished, leaving him standing alone, but Ning Wei didn’t notice.

“Ah-Ning,” a familiar voice called in a teasing, lilting tone.

Ning Wei looked up and saw Yan Yixuan standing atop the wall wearing the vivid attire from the sword dance. His hair and robes floated and rippled in the wind as if made from weightless clouds. The rich blue, fresh green, and fiery orange of his clothes seemed almost alive as the fabric fluttered. The young man was so enchanting and mysterious as he stood there with the light grey sky stretching behind him. Everything else in the dreamscape seemed faded and utterly lackluster in contrast.

Yan Yixuan’s hooded gaze glittered with an unfathomable light while his lips were turned up in a small smile. “Ah-Ning,” he called again. “What are you doing here? You are hurt. You should be in bed sleeping.”

Ning Wei felt dazed yet safe in Yan Yixuan’s presence. Even his wounds seemed to have stopped their sharp spikes and dull throbs of pain. Hope slowly unfurled within his chest. If Yan Yixuan was here, then he must surely have made his way back alive from the battlefield and to the safe shelter of the Yan residence. Ning Wei looked around, and sure enough, there was Yan Yixuan’s desk near one side of the cylindrical wall. When he turned to glance behind him, he even found the bed he used while in the Yan residence.

Ning Wei looked up at Yan Yixuan again and asked, “Why do you call me Ah-Ning?”

The young man’s smiling eyes gleamed with something indefinable. “Because you’re my Ah-Ning.”

Not quite understanding, Ning Wei frowned. “How can you have started liking me even before we met? Or did we cross paths before?”

Yan Yixuan tilted his head with a slight smile. “Don’t you remember? It’s alright. I will remember for the both of us.”

Ning Wei frowned, frustrated. That told him nothing.

Yan Yixuan suddenly bent down and began rapping his knuckles against the top of the wall. The lightly muffled sound of someone knocking on a wooden surface sounded.

Ning Wei was puzzled. “What are you doing?”

The young man chuckled, his voice airy as if on the verge of floating away. “I’m knocking on your door.”

Before Ning Wei could make sense of that, the dream scattered and he snapped his eyes open. He instinctively reached for his sword but halted as the ceiling of his room in the Yan residence came into focus. The nonsensical dream slowly dissipated like wisps of smoke dispelled by a fresh breeze. Ning Wei blinked a few times to clear his mind and regain his bearings. He was in the Yan residence. He was safe.

Knock-knock, knock-knock.

Hearing the sound that had woken him from sleep, Ning Wei slowly got up and made his way to the door. Opening it, he found Yan Yixuan on the other side.

With an intent expression that seemed to hide more than it revealed, the young man asked, “Ning Wei, can we sleep beside each other just for tonight?”

↢∘●∘↣

One hour earlier―

As Yan Yixuan slept that night, he had a familiar dream that started as a nightmare.

The nine-year-old Yan Yixuan clenched his jaws tightly together while he hid under a low and heavy couch. His malnourished body was thin enough to barely fit in the tight space. He tried to lighten his breathing as much as possible so that he wouln’t be found. Terror clamped its hands around his throat as his body lay taut. A thin yet deep gash bled on his upper arm.

Yan Yixuan was holding a dusty white puppy beside him, one of his palms covering the little muzzle to silence it. The puppy blinked up at him trustingly with its wide black eyes that shone like wet grapes. As if sensing his fear, the puppy occasionally licked the trembling hand he was holding over its mouth in comfort.

Leisurely footsteps sounded, echoing in the inn that had gone dark with the shadows of night. The steps neared the room before the door creaked open. Standing at the room’s entrance was Yan Yihong, Yan Yixuan’s older half-brother. He was holding a knife with a thin line of blood along one edge. His grin was wide even as his eyes glinted with viciousness.

“Little Brother, where are you?” he singsonged cheerfully. “Come out and take your punishment like a good little boy~ You keep leaving me all alone these days to play with that stupid white mutt you picked up along the way. It makes me so, so very…” Yan Yihong’s face twisted as he trailed off. He suddenly kicked the chair before him and punched the table beside him. Roaring with rage, he beat the furniture against the floors and walls until they broke into pieces.

Once he was done venting, Yan Yihong stood with his chest heaving for a moment as splintered wood lay strewn around him. His breaths echoed loud and fast in the room. Then slowly calming, he smiled an angelic smile again while holding up the knife and finished in a gentle whisper, “It makes me so very sad. Little Brother, won’t you come and comfort me?”

Hidden under the couch, Yan Yixuan’s eyes widened with fear. Even the puppy beside him had flattened its ears as if afraid.

A couple of months before, his brother Yan Yihong had completely exposed his obsessive and sadistic side to Yan Yixuan. Once after Yan Yixuan defied him over some small thing, Yan Yihong had had his servants hold him in place, then laid down an array of knives before him.

Gently cupping a cautious and uneasy Yan Yixuan’s face, Yan Yihong had said, “Little Brother, you keep being disobedient, and I don’t like that. To teach you properly that you belong only to me, I decided to mark you as my property. But because I’m so generous, I’ll let you decide which knife I’ll use on you.”

Yan Yixuan had felt both indignant and terrified. His heart thudded furiously while he struggled not to show his fear. His eyes scuttled over the different types of knives laid before him with trepidation. Their blades were long and short, straight and curved, blunt and sharp, and serrated and smooth.

Knowing that if he refused outright, his brother would have him beaten into acquiescence, Yan Yixuan reached out a hesitant hand. His finger trembled slightly as he pointed to the knife with the sharpest, shortest, and thinnest blade. He figured it would hurt the least and wouldn’t have enough length to sink too deeply into him.

Yan Yihong was delighted at his obedience. He then had his little brother tied down, pulled open his clothes, and surveyed him like a butcher eyeing meat. He slowly sliced thin lines into his leg while Yan Yixuan panted hard and quick with pain and fear. He felt his flesh part, giving way under his brother’s cold blade. He sensed the blood flowing down his skin, slow and hot. Though he knew his injuries were just shallow cuts that barely bled, Yan Yixuan was nonetheless petrified.

Once he’s gotten a taste for it, Yan Yihong didn’t stop at just that one time and kept ‘marking’ his younger brother to assert his claim over him again and again.

Yan Yixuan’s own helplessness and his inability to do anything but watch as his body was marked repeatedly against his will slowly took its toll until his heart grew full with despair. Now, just a glance from his brother while he held that knife made him feel nauseous with fear as he trembled uncontrollably.

Currently, the Yan household was staying at an inn with a few other prominent families they were familiar with. They were all heading to the same household to take part in some big celebration.

When the Yan family’s patriarch told Yan Yihong that he would be leaving with him to the celebration, Yan Yihong refused to part with Yan Yixuan. Since this was the first time he would be leaving the house after latching onto his younger brother, he was afraid that his younger brother would be snatched up by others while he was away. In the end, their father gave in and uncharacteristically let Yan Yixuan tag along for the first and last time.

After the incident that followed, Yan Yixuan would be forbidden from ever coming with them outside again, but that would occur later.

Not knowing the troubles Yan Yihong would bring, the Yan family patriarch simply warned his older son to behave and not torment Yan Yixuan while they were staying here with other families. He was afraid rumors would spread and tarnish his household’s name if it was found out how their household turned a blind eye to their sadistic older son’s tendencies.

However, since he had been allowed to torment Yan Yixuan and exercise power over him till now, Yan Yihong was unable to comprehend why he couldn’t do the same this time. He thus nodded obediently to his father’s warnings on the outside while plotting to secretly do as he wanted later.

At nighttime when the adults were asleep, Yan Yihong got up, determined to teach Yan Yixuan a lesson for ignoring him and playing with the puppy these past few days. He hadn’t been able to make a move while they were traveling, but now that they were settled in this inn in separate rooms, he could punish his younger brother without waking his father.

However, as Yan Yihong entered his brother’s room stealthily while oozing bad intentions, the puppy that Yan Yixuan had hugged to sleep barked and alerted him. The boy awoke in time to avoid Yan Yihong’s grasp and got cut on his arm when he struggled to escape. Once he managed to get out of the room, Yan Yixuan ran and hid with the puppy.

Now, he could only try to remain as still as possible while concealing himself under the couch and stare at his brother through the narrow space with wide eyes.

Just as he began feeling choked with fear, Yan Yixuan felt his hands suddenly turn empty. With panic, he saw the white puppy dash out from under the couch and stop to stand behind Yan Yihong. The puppy planted its feet wide and barked at Yan Yihong as if trying to threaten him to stay away from Yan Yixuan.

Yan Yixuan stifled an anxious gasp.

Yan Yihong froze, then slowly turned to face the puppy, a grin splitting his face. He let out a maniacal giggle and crooned, “Ah, there you are, you disgusting mutt. You dare steal my little brother’s attention from me?”

Moving suddenly, Yan Yihong landed a swift and powerful kick on the puppy’s side and sent it flying. With despair, Yan Yixuan saw the puppy crash against the wall and fall down with a crunch as if something within it had broken. The puppy whined but still struggled to stand up. Yan Yixuan attempted to silently crawl out so that he could take his brother by surprise and let the puppy escape, but he realized he was stuck in the tight space.

Sneering, Yan Yihong strolled up to the puppy and kicked it a few more times until it stopped moving. Then holding the tip of the knife over the puppy’s heaving side, he looked around the room and called, “Oh, Little Brother~ If you don’t come out right now, I will stab this filthy thing and gut it with pleasure.”

Disregarding the noise he would make, Yan Yixuan hurriedly scrabbled out as the wooden underside of the couch scraped him raw. The second he came out, Yan Yihong’s obsessive gaze skewered him.

Yan Yixuan straightened and quickly got his trembling under control. His voice was small yet firm, “Brother, I came out. Let Xiao-Xue go.”

“Let it go? Sure.” Yan Yihong’s grin stretched cruelly as he let his hand fall. The knife pierced the puppy side, making the little body jerk and the puppy cry out weakly in pain. Blood spurted, flowing down over its snowy coat and to the floor.

Yan Yixuan gave out a strangled scream and staggered towards the dog, his arms reaching out despondently.

Yan Yihong laughed with delight at eliciting such a strong reaction from him. Standing up after pulling out the knife, he began walking towards Yan Yixuan. The younger boy jerked away instinctively, but lost his balance due to the broken wood scattered on the floor and fell backward. Yan Yihong quickly sat atop him to pin him down. Yan Yixuan fiercely struggled, his teeth gritted and eyes fixed on his brother with fury.

Yan Yihong tutted and pushed the younger boy down by his neck, slamming his head into the floor in the process. Yan Yixuan disorientedly gasped for air even as he kept trying to pull his brother’s hand away.

Yan Yihong’s fingers slowly squeezed his younger brother’s throat as he leisurely began, “Little Brother, you know what is going to happen now. If you obediently let me do it, I’ll have someone treat that mutt. But the more you fight me, the more I’ll hurt it. Understood?”

Yan Yixuan’s frantic and defiant struggles stopped abruptly. He slowly lowered his hands from Yan Yihong’s wrists and placed them limply by his side. Yan Yixuan forced himself to lay still and silent as Yan Yihong’s fingers continued tightening around his throat, little by little.

Yan Yihong admired his younger brother’s gradually suffocating appearance for a while, then abruptly let go. Yan Yixuan immediately gasped for air, his chest heaving and eyes tearing. He furiously blinked away the welling wetness.

Meanwhile, Yan Yihong quickly pulled open the lapels of his younger brother’s nightclothes and pushed them down to his elbows. He studied the revealed skin ponderingly. Thin and even scars lined the younger boy’s chest and ran down his arms. Yan Yihong knew that more marked his thighs as well. In contrast, only a few marred his smooth abdomen.

Yan Yihong affectionately caressed the unblemished skin and smiled. “I feel like cutting up your soft stomach today. When I’m done, we can move onto your back.” Smiling with anticipation and glee, he lifted the knife and lowered it to his younger brother’s stomach.

Yan Yixuan gritted his teeth as familiar terror began beating against his mind. Though nothing constricted his throat now, he found breathing becoming difficult again. Dark spots swam in his eyes, but Yan Yixuan knew by experience that the blissful reprieve of unconsciousness was still out of reach for him.

He felt the cold touch of the metal blade on his belly, the blood on the knife already starting to dry. He closed his eyes so that he wouldn’t have to see his brother’s loving smile and gaze fed with insane greed. Yan Yixuan held himself stiffly, biting his lower lip and expecting the sting of pain to lash across his senses at any second.

A furious shout shattered the tense moment, “What are you doing?! Get away from him!”

Before the startled Yan Yihong could look up, he felt the hand holding the knife being wrenched behind him while he was pulled up from his brother, spun around, then slammed down into the ground on his stomach in one smooth motion. His breath left him with a wheeze and his grip loosened on the knife, sending it falling with a muted clank. A sharp pain suddenly hit the back of his neck and he lost consciousness before he could even comprehend the swift flow of events.

Slowly supporting himself up on his elbows after pulling his clothes closed, Yan Yixuan looked dumbfoundedly at his unconscious elder brother, then at the teen boy who had unexpectedly come to his rescue.

He would later learn that his rescuer was called Ning Wei.

Ning Wei let go of the unconscious Yan Yihong and looked at Yan Yixuan worriedly. “You, are you alright? Your arm’s bleeding. Was it this guy who did it?”

Yan Yixuan could only continue to stare at him dumbly. This was the first time anyone had ever been able to save him. This was the first time someone got one over his brother. This was the first time… He didn’t know what to feel. It was as if he’d forgotten how to think.

Seeming discomfited by the strange silence and Yan Yixuan’s blank gaze, the young Ning Wei asked, “Are you really alright? Are you in shock? Do you need a physician?”

Hearing the worry in his savior’s voice, Yan Yixuan slowly shook his head. “I…I’m fine. Thank you…for saving me.”

Ning Wei shrugged. “I didn’t do much, so no need to thank me.”

As Yan Yixuan slowly regained his senses, he remembered the injured puppy and hurried over to it. Seeing that its breathing had weakened, he turned his terrified eyes to Ning Wei and beseeched, “Xiao-Xue is hurt badly. Please, help her!”

Ning Wei frowned and walked over to examine the puppy. Then carefully placing it on a broken plank so that he wouldn’t put undue pressure on its wounds, he carried it outside. Returning a few minutes later, he reassured the worried boy, “I had one of the inn’s people take the puppy to a physician. She’ll be fine now.”

Yan Yixuan slumped in relief and pressed his clenched fists over his eyes to stop himself from crying. Now that the danger had passed, he didn’t need to suppress his emotions anymore.

Ning Wei crouched beside him and sighed. He slowly hugged him and patted his back comfortingly. “There, there, don’t cry. I gave you my word that the puppy will be fine, so it will be fine.”

Within Ning Wei’s embrace, Yan Yixuan lowered his hands to reveal red-rimmed eyes. After a moment of hesitation, he buried his head into the crook of the broad shoulder before him, slowly clutched at Ning Wei’s back, and tentatively returned his hug.

Yan Yixuan couldn’t remember the last time his brother had let anyone get this close to him. Feeling this caring and gentle warmth after all this time—and when he felt so vulnerable at that—made his eyes sting again. He quickly shut them tightly so that not even a single tear would leak out. This person had asked him not to cry, so he wouldn’t cry. Yan Yixuan’s arms tightened around Ning Wei, his body quivering despite his efforts, but he didn’t make a sound.

Ning Wei’s comforting strokes along his back remained steady and soothing.

When Yan Yixuan was finally able to open his eyes without fear of water slipping down his cheeks, he finally loosened his hold.

Sensing that he had stopped shaking, Ning Wei decided that the boy must feel better and let go. He leaned back and tried to put on a strict expression. “Where are your parents? Don’t you know not to go out alone at night? Stay with your parents the next time and don’t sneak out, alright? Or this is the type of lunatics you’ll meet.”

Having settled back on his knees, Yan Yixuan looked down and hunched his shoulders. In a subdued voice, he said, “H-He’s my brother… Even if I stay inside―”

Ning Wei suddenly straightened and whipped his head towards the doorway, sensing a group nearing them.

Sure enough, people from several households walked through the doorway, having been awakened by the loud commotion. They were all allies of the Yan household and had arranged in advance to stay at the same establishment. Thinking that robbers could have broken in, they’d gathered together to discuss things at length before coming with their guards to check. However, seeing the scene inside the room, they frowned in confusion.

On the other hand, just one look at his injured youngest son, the destroyed furniture, and the bloodied knife lying beside his unconscious older son was enough for Yan Zhenbo to immediately surmise what happened. Unwilling to have his older son’s reputation tarnished before all these affluent families, he turned his anger onto his youngest son instead, “Yixuan! What happened to your brother?! What’s going on here?!”

Yan Yixuan shrunk into himself. He knew that explaining things truthfully would only make his father angrier at him.

Just then, a tall and sturdily built man radiating strength and stability stepped into the room from the direction opposite to the crowd. A well-worn sword hung from his waist while leather armor covered his body. He seemed to have been training, since sand still dusted his boots and sweat shone from his brow. He looked at Ning Wei and asked calmly, “Wei-er, why are you here? What happened?”

Ning Wei stood up and snapped his back straight. Unhidden respect shone in his eyes. “Father. When I was running my daily night rounds around the inn for training, I heard sounds of wood breaking and someone crying out, so I came to take a look. I found this boy being injured by that other one, so I knocked the perpetrator unconscious. That’s all.”

Ning Guang turned to survey the two other children in the room.

“Preposterous!” Yan Zhenbo scoffed loudly. “How can my son, the heir to the household, hurt his own brother? You must’ve been mistaken. My son surely only wanted to check up on his brother’s injury. Yixuan is known for getting himself wounded often. Isn’t that true?” Yan Zhenbo looked at Yan Yixuan with a gaze that pressured him to play along.

Yan Yixuan bit his lip and his hands fisted on his lap. Moments passed by thickly. At the side, people from the Yan household hurried to carry the still unconscious Yan Yihong to avoid him becoming any more of a spectacle. Yan Zhenbo’s stare continued boring into his son.

Bowing his head, Yan Yixuan finally gave a slow, tight nod.

Ning Guang frowned while Ning Wei turned expressionless.

Yan Zhenbo turned his triumphant gaze towards Ning Wei and declared, “See? You dared to slander the future head of my household without any basis! The child of the general or not, you will have to be punished as recompense or my household will have to take action against yours!”

Ning Guang silently moved to stand before his son and gestured at Ning Wei to keep silent.

Ning Wei closed his mouth, swallowing back his defense of himself. He shot a glance at Yan Yixuan, but saw the thin spine jutting out of the boy’s curved back as he sat with his fingers digging into his thighs. Due to his bent posture, his long hair covered the side of his face, hiding his expression, but his tense shoulders projected helplessness and dejection. Ning Wei turned away, unable to feel any anger or betrayal, only concern.

Ning Guang had turned to Yan Zhenbo and was saying, “Ning Wei is only a child of fifteen. Even if he made a mistake as you claim, there is no need to blow this matter up by treating him harshly.”

His words hit the nail on the head since the last thing Yan Zhenbo wanted was for this issue to blow up. He glared at Ning Guang, feeling conflicted about whether or not to continue pursuing this matter.

Just then, Yan Zhenbo’s secretary opened his mouth, “Master, we can’t let this go so simply! Otherwise wouldn’t people say we felt guilty and that’s why we buried this matter without giving the young master justice despite us saying he was innocent?”

Yan Zhenbo’s gaze darkened. He faced Ning Guang and put on a righteous look. “General Ning, my secretary is right. Even if I don’t want to make this difficult for you, I must, or my household will gain the reputation of someone who lets injustices go unpunished. Please, I must insist that you hand over your son and let my household punish him.”

Ning Guang narrowed his eyes and clenched his jaws.

The nobles who had been watching the show all knew who was in the right and who was in the wrong. But the Yan household behind Yan Zhenbo and his heir was truly formidable while the Ning household had barely just gained a rank. Plus, the way Ning Guang was earning one merit after another made some of them feel a sense of crisis. So they collectively turned a blind eye to the truth and began condemning Ning Guang.

“General Ning, as this country’s general, you must prize justice above all else!”

“Yes, yes. It wouldn’t do to favor your son too much and refuse to let him be punished for his wrongs.”

“Even the so-called victim has given his word that his brother is innocent. How can there be any more doubt?”

“General, you shouldn’t act haughty just because you gained a title recently. Since your son slandered the heir of a noble household, compensation is necessary!”

“Yes, hand over your son, General Ning. This is the time for you to show us how impartial you are.”

“If you don’t agree, we will collectively have to take your Ning household to task for this injustice!”

Several other nobles gave out their agreement.

Ning Guang remained composed on the outside, but his insides churned with clashing thoughts and complex emotions. If he refused, it was clear that this matter would be taken as an excuse for all these nobles to band together and target his fledgling household and suppress it. He couldn’t afford that. But unfortunately, he wasn’t a politician and didn’t know how to get out of such a situation with words alone. His mind raged as he thought of the safest way to solve this issue.

In the end, he could only open his mouth and force out, “…Very well. But I will not hand over my son. As his father, it is only right that I take over the task of disciplining him. I will administer ten strokes of a cane and order him to stay in his room for five days without eating. This much should satisfy everyone.”

Ning Wei stiffened, looking up at his father incredulously. Then, reading the unwillingness in Ning Guang’s face, a thoughtful expression came over him. He trusted his father. So if his father said this, it meant there was no other way. Ning Wei might be young, but he was not young enough that he didn’t understand how the world worked. Sometimes, he felt that he saw the hypocrisy and darkness hidden underneath even better than his sincere and upright father.

Feeling smug that he had won, Yan Zhenbo arched an eyebrow at Ning Guang and said audaciously, “I admire your sense of duty in wanting to punish your son yourself. But General, I would prefer it if you did it here where we can all witness it.”

Ning Guang’s expression turned darker than the bottom of a pot. “Are you questioning my word, Duke?”

Yan Zhenbo felt goosebumps rise and cold sweat drench his back at the general’s piercing and cold gaze.

Ning Wei touched his father’s arm and said softly, “Father, it’s alright. Let’s just get this farce over with.”

Ning Guang looked at his son with a heavy expression. “It seems I’ll have to wrong you, Wei-er.”

Ning Wei shrugged as if unconcerned. “It’s alright, I understand.”

Ignored at the side, Yan Yixuan watched the proceedings with increasing bewilderment and anguish. They were going to punish his savior?! Why were they going so far? Why did the only person who ever managed to save him from his brother’s clutches, even temporarily, have to be persecuted like this? Was heaven implying that anyone who helped him would be punished? Why was this happening?!

Yan Yixuan powerlessly saw Ning Wei pull down his robes and expose his back as someone brought a hefty cane for Ning Guang to use. By coincidence or design, Ning Wei happened to sit down while facing him.

Yan Yixuan expected his savior to look at him with anger, resentment, or disappointment. But seeing his wide, frightened eyes, Ning Wei only gave him a reassuring smile before blanking out his expression and looking down.

Yan Yixuan bit his lip hard enough that it bled. Why was this person not blaming him? Why was he acting so caring towards him even now? It wasn’t like he was the one being punished for helping someone! No, it was this person who saved him, yet he had turned against the one who helped him at that critical moment. This was all his fault.

But Yan Yixuan knew that if he had spoken against his father just now and condemned his brother as the monster he was, then what would be waiting for him back home would be even greater tortures. He was already unable to bear his current situation with his brother as it was. If he invited even his father’s ire on top of that…

Yan Yixuan licked his lower lip and tasted the coppery tang of blood. He felt bitter hate at his own cowardice cutting into his heart and poisoning his blood. How was he worthy of that person’s help and care? He was just an ungrateful dog that bit the very hand that fed it. He didn’t deserve his kindness.

Meanwhile, Ning Guang had carefully shut down his expression and began hitting Ning Wei’s back with the cane. As his body jerked forward with every strike, Ning Wei bore it stoically, the defined muscles on his youthful frame bunching up with strain. Sweat streaked his forehead, but he remained silent as the thwack of the cane hitting his flesh sounded again and again, followed by burning pain and deep ache painting his back.

Ning Guang stopped after ten strokes, threw away the hateful cane, and carefully helped his son up.

Whether by coincidence or on purpose, the flung away cane hit Yan Zhenbo’s foot on its way down, causing him to stifle a yelp and jump back. He rubbed his foot while glaring venomously at the general.

Deciding that Ning Guang hadn’t learned his place, one of the nobles at the side provoked, “General Ning, do you think just ten trivial strokes is enough?”

Ning Guang turned to pin him with the full weight of his gaze, charged with the fury of having to hurt his own precious son who had trustingly allowed him to hit him without blame.

As that gaze burning with rage and brimming with the need for violence hit him, the noble flinched and staggered back a step in fear.

Ning Guang scoffed at his spinelessness and withdrew his hostility. “I already said that he will also be confined to his room for five days without food. If you still insist, then you can take ten strokes of this cane to show how trivial it is and then I’ll consider increasing the amount.”

The noble pressed his lips together and looked away, unable to meet the general’s eyes.

No one dared to say anything more.

After glancing around the room once, Ning Guang began leading his son away. Ning Wei paused by Yan Yixuan to smile and reassure him one last time despite the pain, then left with his father.

Yan Yixuan watched them go as complex emotions twisted within him.

The incident thus came to an end.

After that, Yan Zhenbo had decided to lock Yan Yihong up in his own courtyard, fearing that his older son would get up to something again. Yan Yixuan had also been confined in his room so that he wouldn’t go around and let the truth slip. But by now, Yan Yixuan had made a good impression on the inn’s servants with the polite and respectful way he treated them, so he was able to use their help to slip out quite often. Without having to fear that his brother would get ahold of him, Yan Yixuan’s days were relatively pleasant.

It was just that he felt too ashamed to meet Ning Wei face-to-face again.

Because of his guilt, Yan Yixuan instead snuck into the older boy’s room each day before dawn to leave him food wrapped in leaves, along with some guavasteens he freshly picked especially for Ning Wei.

Every day after waking up and seeing food waiting for him, Ning Wei grew curious about who his secret helper could be. He was certain that it wasn’t his father, since the general was a man of his word and he must be watched too closely by the nobles after the incident to be able to do this. Due to the injuries on his back and not being allowed to leave the room, Ning Wei was unable to investigate it in detail either. In the end, he could only give up for now and enjoy not having to starve.

To hide traces of the food so that his helper wouldn’t get in trouble, Ning Wei threw the leaves out his window after eating. He knew his father’s daily patrol route anyway, and it wasn’t anywhere near enough that the leaves would be spotted.

Like him, Yan Yixuan also knew of Ning Guang’s daily habit of patrolling after seeing him at it a few times. But Yan Yixuan also guessed that if Ning Guang cared for his son, he would most likely change his patrol route to pass by his son’s room to make sure no one, especially the nobles’ people, would sneak in and make trouble when Ning Wei was wounded. And so, Yan Yixuan made haste to collect the dropped leaf wrappers from under Ning Wei’s window each day just before Ning Guang could pass by.

On the third day, after Yan Yixuan collected the leaves and guavasteen peels and was on his way back to his room, he came across Ning Guang standing in his path, looking like he had been waiting for him. The bandaged white puppy was snoring blissfully in his arms.

Yan Yixuan stumbled to a stop and stared at the intimidatingly large older man with wide eyes.

Ning Guang looked the boy up and down. He seemed weak and small, his posture conveying his alarm and hesitation. His thin, limp, and lusterless hair was braided behind him haphazardly. Ning Guang noticed that his robe was patched over his arm, the same place he’d seen him injured in a few days ago. Could this young master of the Yan household not afford a new robe? No, he supposed it just showed how less regard this boy had in his family.

Ning Guang recalled this boy’s stilted speech back during the incident. It was as if he wasn’t used to speaking. Ning Guang realized that though others might think the boy unintelligent due to it, the very fact that he knew to pick up the leaves from under his son’s window after guessing that his patrol route would’ve changed now spoke much of his cleverness.

Finished assessing him, Ning Guan finally said, “You must be the one feeding that brat of mine every day. I was wondering who it could be. Well, at least you have a sense of gratitude.”

Yan Yixuan hunched his shoulders and looked down, shuffling his feet. “Th-That… How did you know that someone was feeding your son?”

Ning Guang scoffed. “I know for a fact that that brat’s chamber pot is being emptied every day. If he didn’t have something to eat, where did all that shit come from?”

Yan Yixuan’s head jerked up as he felt shocked at the vulgar language. But he had to concede this point. He seemed to have overlooked something. It was his fault.

The boy suddenly realized that since the general had now confirmed his suspicions that someone was going against him to feed his son, he might want to cane him in punishment as well. Yan Yixuan felt frightened and worried that as weak as his body was, it wouldn’t be able to handle it.

But thinking that things couldn’t get worse anyway, he gathered his courage and looked up at the general. Meeting his daunting gaze with difficulty, Yan Yixuan confessed, “I-I’m sorry…I lied back then. Your son was telling the truth. He really did help me when my brother wanted to cut me with that knife, so…he shouldn’t have been punished.” Yan Yixuan bit his lip and looked away. “I’m sorry. I should have stood up for him back then. I…I was just afraid that…my father will start hurting me too if I told the truth.” His voice faded away into a mosquito buzz near the end, but the general heard him clearly.

Understanding everything that was unconsciously revealed in the boy’s words, Ning Guang felt his heart twist with pain. Just what all had this boy gone through in that family of his?! But as much as he could understand that this boy was being abused, Ning Guang knew he couldn’t go against the Yan household. With his current status, he couldn’t save him. It ate him up, but Ning Guang didn’t show it.

He tried to gentle his expression and replied, “Yes, I know. I trust my son, he wouldn’t lie. Punishing him with a cane was the only excuse I could think of to make him stay in his room afterward and not cross paths with the others. If I hadn’t added in that he wouldn’t be fed, they might not have agreed, and I couldn’t risk giving them a chance to make demands about his punishment.

“These past few days, they’ve been keeping an eye on me to see whether I’d break my word and feed my son. I suppose they’d be glad to bring it up and use it against me, then torment my son with increased punishments. However, they don’t have the same vigilance against you, so I’m grateful that you could take care of him when I couldn’t.”

Yan Yixuan looked at him with surprise. So this man had thought it through that much? Feeling even more miserable at all this trouble he put the father and son through, Yan Yixuan said dejectedly, “It’s all my fault. It’s all because I lied. If I’d told you the truth back then…”

Ning Guang felt somewhat helpless. Sighing, he patted the boy on the head. “That’s not true, kid. Your father and the others don’t care whether I know the truth. They only care about saving face. Even if you had corroborated my son’s account and I acknowledged it, those people wouldn’t have let go of my Wei-er. They would’ve used some other excuse to punish my son and threaten us to keep our lips sealed about the truth so that we won’t besmirch the name of the Yan household’s heir. At least this way, they didn’t need to go that far and I could more or less control the situation and minimize the damage to my son.”

Yan Yixuan showed an expression of realization and nodded dazedly. He couldn’t help but feel a bit envious that his savior had such a great father to support him. But he also felt that someone like his savior deserved exactly this sort of kind father!

Ning Guang smiled wryly as the boy’s gaze towards him turned worshipful. Rubbing his head one last time before letting go, the general said, “Then I’ll count on you to continue helping my son on the sly. Make sure he doesn’t find out that I know he’s getting fed.”

Yan Yixuan smiled back at him, happy to share a secret with such a thoughtful and impressive adult. He looked at the puppy still sleeping in Ning Guang’s arms and hesitated for a moment, then finally asked, “Can you continue to take care of Xiao-Xue for me? I can’t keep her with me anymore.”

Ning Guang looked down at the snoring ball of white fur, then back at the kid. “You shouldn’t have picked her up if you didn’t intend to take care of her till the end. Don’t you know it’s irresponsible?”

Yan Yixuan guiltily lowered his head and muttered disconsolately, “I did want to keep her with me forever but…I can’t. My brother doesn’t like me paying attention to others, so he doesn’t let me get close to other people. So I…I got a bit lonely. I thought my brother won’t mind a dog and picked up Xiao-Xue up on my way here. But it turns out pets are no good either. If I keep her with me, Elder Brother will hurt her, so…” Looking up beseechingly, the boy asked, “Please? Will you keep her?”

Ning Guang softened. This poor boy had to go through so much as it was, so it couldn’t be helped. “Alright then, I’ll take Xiao-Xue back with me.”

Yan Yixuan brightened. “Thank you, Mister General!”

Many years later, Yan Yixuan had even confirmed that the puppy had grown into a healthy and energetic dog that peacefully passed away of old age.

Hearing the boy’s strange address now, Ning Guang laughed. Looking at the earnest little boy, he was determined to work harder and gain more renown just so that he would one day be in a high enough position to help him. But until then, he had to find some other way to help the kid protect himself.

Ning Guang pondered, then spoke, “Boy, I know a very skilled tutor. I want you to accept him as your mentor. If you ever need help or protection against anyone, you can depend on him.”

Ning Guang decided not to tell Master Jin about this boy’s circumstances yet. He wanted this boy to learn to reach out to others on his own and take that first step of his own volition so that he could start healing. If he saw that the boy was unable to do so later, then he would intervene. Even if he didn’t, he was sure that Master Jin would be able to figure it out on his own.

Hearing Ning Guang’s offer, Yan Yixuan was surprised. He’d never experienced anyone other than his sister or friend trying to help him before. He smiled with gratitude and nodded. But inwardly, he thought, if even someone like this general couldn’t help him, what use would that tutor be? His savior’s back after he was punished, lined with thick welts and swollen to a painful degree, flashed through Yan Yixuan’s mind. Realizing that his family was powerful enough to cause trouble to all who helped him, Yan Yixuan resolved not to involve others from now on.

It was due to this determination that Yan Yixuan hid all signs of abuse from Master Jin later on. And since Ning Guang was also captured during the war before he could reveal the boy’s circumstances, Master Jin never had the chance to know or help him.

A few days after his meeting with Ning Guang, Yan Yixuan climbed a tree near the inn’s entrance and witnessed the Ning household’s carriage depart the inn. He watched them leave with gratitude and a heavy heart, feeling that he would never see his savior or his kind father again…

As the scene from the dream slowly faded away, Yan Yixuan opened his eyes. He dazedly surveyed his room. Getting up, he looked out the window to see that it was the depths of night.

Stretching himself and yawning, Yan Yixuan lay back on the bed and pondered on all that came after that.

Later, after he returned home, Ning Guang did indeed introduce him to Master Jin. And it was Master Jin who made him into a more confident and learned young man, teaching him etiquette, swordsmanship, and also honing his mind. But the more Yan Yixuan began caring for this surly yet soft tutor of his, the more determined he became to not get him caught in his family’s crosshairs.

Nevertheless, Yan Yixuan was endlessly thankful to have gotten such a mentor who had helped him grow for the better in every way possible.

Yan Yixuan had at first expected his father to refuse to let someone tutor him. But Yan Zhenbo was completely indifferent. While he favored Yan Yihong above all his children, he didn’t care enough about Yan Yixuan in particular to meddle in his life or suppress him as long as what he did wasn’t interfering with Yan Yihong. In addition, Yan Zhenbo had bought Yan Yixuan to the household with the purpose of keeping him as a spare anyway. So if someone was willing to train him for that position, then all the less bother for him.

Yan Yixuan thus began studying under Master Jin.

Thanks to being able to spend more time learning, Yan Yixuan was also able to spend less time at the residence, and by extension, with his brother. Even when his brother managed to get his hands on him and tormented him again, all Yan Yixuan had to do to feel a bit better was think of that day when his brother was knocked unconscious by Ning Wei while Yan Yihong still wore a stupidly uncomprehending face.

Despite all this, Yan Yixuan’s mental state only deteriorated due to his brother’s continuing, if sporadic, abuse. But his days under Master Jin still passed relatively better than they had ever before.

It was only too bad that before he could properly express his gratitude for being introduced to his mentor, Ning Guang was lost in battle, taken hostage by the enemy nation and said to have been executed.

As time passed, Yan Yixuan started constructing his own web of connections and grew into his own under his mentor’s capable guidance. He knew his father had no intention of letting him succeed to the position of family head as long as his elder brother was still a viable option. But Yan Yixuan still learnt everything he would need to run a household and navigate the imperial court under Master Jin’s tutelage.

And then, his father and brother had unexpectedly died, leaving Yan Yixuan to suddenly inherit the household.

At that time, his condition had been horrible. Yan Yixuan acted tough and infallible for the household’s sake, but after years of his brother’s torments, the young man’s mind had begun descending into a numb hopelessness. He finally realized after days of ceaseless nightmares that maybe he truly never would be free from his brother. Yan Yihong would still haunt him in his dreams and sink him into desolation little by little. Yan Yixuan didn’t dare think what he’d become at the end of the process.

Unable to extricate himself from the despair, there were times when Yan Yixuan had wanted to end his life just so he wouldn’t have to struggle anymore. In those times, as if in a subconscious struggle to survive, he would dream about his meeting with Ning Wei again and again. Even though the situation back then hadn’t exactly been pleasant, it was the only way Yan Yixuan could see Ning Wei and feel his warm embrace again. It soothed his mind enough to stop him from taking that final step to the abyss.

Realizing that his condition was bad, he consulted Ruan Shu and confessed his thoughts of just ending his life to be free of all burden.

Ruan Shu tried to hide his fear and panic as he patted his friend’s head gently and asked, “Yixuan, are you truly alright with leaving Ning Wei?” Now that the young man had come as far as to considering death, he felt that evoking Ning Wei’s name was the only thing that might give him pause.

Sure enough, Yan Yixuan did pause. Then he retorted, “Ning Wei must’ve forgotten me by now. Even if he didn’t, his impression of me would have faded after all the war and battles he has been going through. Even if I died, Ning Wei will not mourn me.”

Ruan Shu hurriedly wracked his brains and asked, “Then Yixuan, are you alright with leaving while Ning Wei is in such a dangerous situation?”

That got Yan Yixuan’s attention quickly and finally elicited some emotion.

Striking iron while it was hot, Ruan Shu suggested, “Since you owe Ning Wei, you should try and protect him now while he is vulnerable at the frontlines. You’re not the same boy from before. You have people and resources that you can put to use to monitor Ning Wei’s situation and help him. Maybe Ning Wei will feel grateful to you, and you can finish paying your debt.”

Yan Yixuan’s dull eyes gained clarity and he smiled quietly. “I don’t need his gratitude and I don’t want to risk making him feel bound by it. I just needed him to be safe and free. Nothing I can ever do will repay my debt to him, and…I don’t want that connection between us to be gone either.” Then taking in a deep breath and letting it out, Yan Yixuan firmed his back. “But you’re right. Ning Wei needs my help.”

Yan Yixuan suddenly recalled Ning Guang’s words to him that long time ago at the inn.

Then I’ll count on you to continue helping my son on the sly.

Yes, the young man thought. General, even though I know you didn’t mean for me to follow your instructions in this way, I will do as you asked.

Regaining the strength in his gaze, Yan Yixuan stated, “I have to aid Ning Wei in every way possible without letting him know. Since he’s lost his father’s support, I will fill that vacancy.”

And so, protecting Ning Wei became Yan Yixuan’s reason for living.

When Yan Yixuan started keeping an eye on Ning Wei, it was innocent at first. He merely wanted to know Ning Wei’s situation so that he could help him accordingly. But the more he came to know about Ning Wei, the more Yan Yixuan came to respect and like him.

Every time he heard of the general obtaining a victory, he would celebrate. Every time he heard of Ning Wei suffering a defeat, Yan Yixuan would feel sad and regret not being able to be by his side to share his burden. And whenever he heard tales of the general’s heroic deeds and how he saved people, the young man would feel so proud that he thought his heart would burst right out of his chest.

Eventually, Yan Yixuan had his first spring dream, and it featured Ning Wei. After a period of adjustment where he had to deal with his own shame at looking at his savior in such a way, Yan Yixuan’s thoughts inevitably changed, and he realized he loved Ning Wei.

Yan Yixuan thus tried even harder to help Ning Wei, now dubbed as Ah-Ning, from behind the scenes.

Once, the general had been captured by the enemy after they used the chance of obtaining his father’s remains as bait. Yan Yixuan managed to get a private audience with the empress and unrestrainedly offered his connections and services to help extract Ning Wei. They succeeded in freeing him a week after his capture. This was also the incident that sparked the beginning of Yan Yixuan's and the empress’s friendship.

After the war ended and the Ning household started to buckle under pressure, Yan Yixuan finally found an excuse to make contact with Ning Wei again by offering a pact between their households. The young man had been ecstatic at the chance.

But then Yan Yixuan met Ning Wei in his carriage by fluke and ended up realizing that Ning Wei didn’t even remember him. Yan Yixuan had been torn, but decided to take it as a boon and start over. It was better if his Ah-Ning didn’t realize he was the same cowardly boy who’d gotten him wounded back then.

Unexpectedly, Ning Wei had then spoken such terrible things to him, saying that he wasn’t worthy of becoming anything more than the lowest level concubine in his household. Treated like that by the man he’d so devotedly loved all this time, especially while under the effect of a drug that lowered his inhibitions, Yan Yixuan had ended up crying.

However, he regained his spirits and hopes after learning later that all of his Ah-Ning’s harsh words had been due to him misunderstanding Yan Yixuan’s intentions in entering his carriage.

After that, Yan Yixuan felt that his life was too good to be true. He could meet, talk, eat, laugh, and spend time with his beloved three days a week. He saw that his Ah-Ning seemed to like him, and sometimes, he even saw respect and fondness in his beloved’s gaze. Whenever he was faced with his beloved’s care, Yan Yixuan felt that he could ascend on the spot out of sheer happiness.

He could finally say that he was truly glad to be alive. And his reason for living was his Ah-Ning. His dearest beloved was the very core that supported his being.

As all these thoughts swiftly passed through his mind, Yan Yixuan curled up on the bed and felt as if his heart would explode with sweetness and longing. He whispered yearningly, “Ah-Ning…my Ah-Ning…” He wanted to see him, hear his voice, touch him, and feel his presence beside him. Knowing that the man who he had come to treat as a close friend, the man he loved, was under the same roof as him, Yan Yixuan felt impatient and restless.

It didn’t matter if his Ah-Ning would never see him as a lover. It didn’t matter even if he could only spend the rest of his life as his Ah-Ning’s friend. However, Yan Yixuan refused to let this opportunity of having his beloved nearby slip away. He felt the strong need to be close to his Ah-Ning now, so Yan Yixuan got up and headed out his room while still in his nightwear.

In the dead of night, Yan Yixuan knocked on Ning Wei’s door with courage that he knew he wouldn’t have been able to gather during daytime.

The young man patiently knocked several times before suddenly realizing that Ning Wei must be sleeping. He was just contemplating on giving up so that he wouldn’t disturb his beloved’s rest when the door opened.

Yan Yixuan tried to hide the emotions surging inside his heart so that he wouldn’t reveal too much, then asked, “Ning Wei, can we sleep beside each other just for tonight?”

Half-asleep, Ning Wei looked at Yan Yixuan confusedly as if unable to figure out why he’d want to share his bed. Then putting it aside, he opened the door wider and invited, “Sure. Come in.”

Yan Yixuan took a deep breath and stepped into Ning Wei’s room.

 

Can you guess whether they'll get together in the next chapter or not? (⋟◑ ω ◑⋞)

47