Chapter 22: Afterglow
869 20 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yan Yixuan’s body was weak and lacked stamina as it was, so with the added strain of passionate lovemaking, his body was a continuous mass of sharp stabbing pain and dull throbbing aches. Yet he managed to hold on and cuddled with Ning Wei, showing none of it in his expression.

It took Ning Wei a few minutes before he recalled his lover’s physical condition. He hurriedly leaned back and asked, “Ah-Xuan, are you really alright? It doesn’t hurt anywhere?”

Yan Yixuan contemplated lying, but sighed and finally confessed, “Actually, it hurts everywhere. I don’t think I can sit without pain or stand without support. But I should more or less recover within a couple of days.”

Ning Wei’s expression showed his worry and concern clearly. He reached out to hesitantly caress the young man’s cheek as if afraid even such a delicate touch would hurt him in his current state. “Why didn’t you tell me earlier? I would have held back.”

Yan Yixuan coughed and looked away embarrassedly. “I…wasn’t paying attention. I was too immersed in how good it felt to register any pain.”

Ning Wei shook his head helplessly, but he couldn’t help the small blossom of pride in his chest. He was glad that his lover’s first time was one he enjoyed. But his current condition still worried him greatly.

With a guilty expression, Ning Wei got up to search for a rag in his room, then wetted it and helped wipe away the sweat and other fluids on Yan Yixuan and himself. He then tentatively offered to help remove his release from within the young man. Yan Yixuan flushed brightly and agreed before turning over on the bed.

Ning Wei stifled a gasp. Their coupling had left Yan Yixuan with painfully red buttocks and an agonizingly swollen entrance. Seeing it, Ning Wei’s guilt ratcheted up higher.

As Ning Wei resolved to use the utmost care and began extracting his release, he felt belatedly surprised. He had expected Yan Yixuan to be prideful and resist his help with such an intimate thing, especially since it was bound to be painful. But Yan Yixuan lay pliant and unresisting before Ning Wei, openly showing his trust and giving himself to his beloved’s care. The general was determined to treasure this faith in him wholeheartedly.

After Ning Wei finished cleaning his passage, Yan Yixuan quickly wiped himself clean again. Then burying his face into the pillows embarrassedly, he asked for a bath.

Smiling, Ning Wei dressed himself and set out. But when he opened the door, he was greeted with Ruan Shu’s patient countenance. The other man seemed to have been waiting outside his room for a while.

His eyebrows climbing up, Ning Wei asked, “What is Steward Ruan doing here in the middle of the night?”

Ruan Shu assessed Ning Wei and answered, “The men you borrowed the oil from excitedly knocked on everyone’s door and relayed that our Master finally succeeded in courting the general and was about to sleep with him. As a responsible steward, I naturally came over to see if you two needed anything.”

Ning Wei pressed his lips together and heroically fought a blush. He didn’t want to know what all Ruan Shu had heard through the door. Clearing his throat, Ning Wei courteously asked, “Then may I request you to draw up a bath? Ah-Xuan wants to take one.”

Hearing him refer to Yan Yixuan in such a way, Ruan Shu peered at him inquisitively. Then he nodded and glided away.

Ning Wei returned to lie beside Yan Yixuan and told him what happened.

Yan Yixuan merely chuckled. “Though they don’t act like it while working, the servants here have a strong penchant for gossip, especially when it comes to my matters for some reason.”

Ning Wei looked at him curiously. “It doesn’t bother you that Steward Ruan might have heard us going at it?”

Yan Yixuan blinked at him, seriously considering. Then he shook his head. “No, Brother Ruan has already seen me in many states. He was even the one who had to explain to me how sex worked. Compared to my mortification at that time, this is nothing.”

Ning Wei chuckled. He supposed he should stop fretting about it as well.

Soon, Ruan Shu arrived with the promised bath and a veritable fleet of servants who pretended to not be curious.

Yan Yixuan still lay naked on the bed, looking limp, satisfied, and well-loved. Ning Wei quickly pulled the quilt up to preserve his lover’s modesty, eliciting an amused chuckle out of the young man. Yan Yixuan lazily blinked and watched the servants bring in the largest wooden tub they had and begin to fill it with warm water. He trusted his people enough to be completely unselfconscious with them. Conversely, seeing the servants sneaking looks around his room to survey the aftermath of the night, Ning Wei felt his newly suppressed awkwardness rise again.

The servants in the room also included one half of the couple who had presented Ning Wei with the bottle of oil for preparation last night. He gave a knowing look to the pair on the bed and turned to Yan Yixuan. “Master, do you have ointment to apply to the, ehem, swollen area.”

Yan Yixuan suddenly realized. “Ah, yes, I suppose I’d need that.”

The servant grinned. “We have an extra box if you’d like. I’ll go bring it.” He rushed out like a gust of wind and returned within a couple of minutes.

Solemnly presenting a small box to Ning Wei, the servant said, “General Ning, please take care of Master.”

Ning Wei accepted it, as serious as if it was an imperial decree, and nodded. “It will be my pleasure.” He really wished the servants would just leave already before his embarrassment consumed what was left of his dignity. At this rate, he’d be able to look none of them in the eye!

Yan Yixuan peered at them both with amusement.

Once the bath was readied, all the servants, including Ruan Shu, left. On their way out they all gave Ning Wei piercing glances as if both congratulating him for managing to melt their dear master’s heart and threatening him to not break said heart. In particular, Ning Wei could almost hear Ruan Shu warning, If you don’t treat Yixuan more preciously than your own life, you won’t have a life! It escaped Ning Wei how a single glance managed to be so expressive.

As the room finally emptied, Ning Wei smiled wryly. They didn’t need to tell him. He would naturally take good care of his lovable little fox.

He turned to Yan Yixuan and asked, “Ah-Xuan, do you want me to carry you to the bath?”

Yan Yixuan forced down his pleasure and bashfulness that Ning Wei continued to call him that. He shook his head. “I’ll be heavy.” He sat up gingerly, trying not to put too much pressure on his buttocks, and offered his hand. “Instead, can you support me till there, please?”

Ning Wei opened his mouth, wanting to say that he was so thin that he probably wouldn’t weigh much at all, but snapped his mouth shut. Something in Yan Yixuan’s expression said that his words wouldn’t go over well. Other men had to assure their lovers that they didn’t weigh much while he had to do the opposite.

In the end, Ning Wei just smiled indulgently and nodded.

Ning Wei helped Yan Yixuan out of bed then supported him to the tub with an arm around his shoulders. The couple submerged into the steaming bath and sighed as one. Leaning back, they let the warm water soothe the aches in their bodies.

The general was used to quick baths, so he swiftly and efficiently washed up before leaning back to study his lover.

Yan Yixuan, in contrast, was used to taking it slower and was more methodical, carefully washing every part of him. His movements were graceful and precise, his expression calm and focused. Water formed a thin and shining layer over his skin. It collected into glittering droplets, trembling delicately as it hung from him, adorning his body like tiny jewels. His hair had grown dense and darkened with water, draping over him like a silken cloak. Curls of steam spiraled up and cast a hazy layer over the young man, making the scene more reminiscent of a dream.

Ning Wei stared mesmerized until Yan Yixuan finished.

After they were done thoroughly washing themselves, Ning Wei put on his clothes first and changed the sheets. Yan Yixuan finished toweling off and used Ning Wei’s help to lie down on the bed. Ning Wei then applied the ointment given by the servant to Yan Yixuan’s swollen opening and deeper within, while Yan Yixuan bit his lip to stifle any cries. He didn’t want to worry Ning Wei any further. And it wasn’t like he hadn’t foreseen things turning out like this when he proposed sleeping with Ning Wei last night.

Once all that was done, Ning Wei lent his robes to Yan Yixuan for now and helped him dress, then brushed his hair since Yan Yixuan’s limbs ached too heavily to move anymore. All the while, Yan Yixuan kept shifting uncomfortably due to the pain in his backside.

Seeing it, Ning Wei felt even guiltier. All of this was because of his impulsive agreement to do the deed yesterday night and his lack of care afterward.

Another troop of servants arrived before they could be called and carried away the soiled sheets, fabric, and clothing while considerately depositing breakfast for two on the table.

Ning Wei’s mind was filled with concern and guilt over Yan Yixuan’s weak body being put through so much strain, along with the sight of his injured entrance and reddened buttocks still lingering in his mind. So, with an expression of abject self-blame, Ning Wei tried to feed Yan Yixuan as the younger man reclined on the bed.

Yan Yixuan scowled at his apologetic attitude and dodged the chopsticks carrying food. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

Ning Wei sighed sadly. As expected, his beloved must be angry at him for all the suffering his actions were putting him through.

With a miserable expression, Ning Wei honestly admitted, “I caused you so much trouble, Ah-Xuan. I should have been gentler, or maybe refused to do this. Now, because I failed to take good enough care of you, you’ve ended up with so much pain and inconvenience.”

Yan Yixuan’s expression turned baffled. “What? Why are you acting like you’re the only one responsible? I’m the one who suggested we sleep with each other with the full knowledge of all the troubles it would bring. Plus, did you forget that I fully and enthusiastically participated in the events that ended up with my body like this? And I don’t regret a single moment of it. So stop behaving like I’m some helpless rabbit who was forced into these circumstances. I won’t stand for it!”

Huffing with displeasure, Yan Yixuan snatched the chopsticks away from a dumbstruck Ning Wei and tried to eat on his own. But his fingers trembled, causing him to almost drop it.

Ning Wei came to life and held his beloved’s hand to steady it. The guilt in his expression was replaced with realization and affection. Yes, what was he doing, trying to take responsibility for his lover’s actions as well? His Ah-Xuan wasn’t the type to let himself be inconvenienced unless he thought the result was worth it. It was obvious that he didn’t regret what happened, so Ning Wei decided to not be gloomy about it either.

Ning Wei finally admitted, “Yes, you’re right. I shouldn’t have acted like that. I realize my wrongs, so won’t you please let me feed you, Ah-Xuan? Not because I feel guilty, but because I want to take care of my lover and pamper him.”

Yan Yixuan felt his anger fade away as bashfulness heated his cheeks. How could he refuse such an earnest offer? He bowed his head and nodded.

Ning Wei thus happily began feeding Yan Yixuan. It was so rare for him to get a chance to dote on his little fox for a change; he was determined to cherish this opportunity.

After the couple had breakfast, Ning Wei offered to massage Yan Yixuan’s sore body. Greatly anticipating the feel of his lover’s big and callused hands pressing and moving all over him, Yan Yixuan quickly agreed and Ning Wei soon began.

Partway through the massage, Yan Yixuan sighed happily and said, “If I get to be pampered like this every time after we do it, then I wouldn’t mind even if you acted rougher with me in bed.”

Chuckling, Ning Wei helplessly shook his head.

As the massage progressed, Yan Yixuan grew more and more vocal in expressing his pleasure until the room rang unrestrainedly with his deep groans and soft moans.

Ning Wei teasingly noted, “I didn’t hear such exuberant cries from you even when we were tangled together last night.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled while lying on his belly, his voice thick and sultry. “That’s a false accusation, Ah-Wei. Why don’t we go another round and you can assess it for yourself?”

Ning Wei paused to give a light slap to the young man’s buttocks. “Your body is in such a condition and you’re still trying to tempt me, you naughty fox. Do you have no intention of becoming well enough to leave the bed?”

Yan Yixuan laughed uninhibitedly. Twisting his body back, he gripped Ning Wei’s chin to pull him closer and gave him a roguish look. “If this beauty can promise to stay by my bed to service me both intimately and in other ways every day, then I will truly have no reason to leave it.”

Ning Wei’s face reddened and he sputtered in disbelief.

Laughing with satisfaction at his reaction, Yan Yixuan turned to comfortably lie on the bed again.

It was some time before Ning Wei collected himself and gritted out, “Yan Yixuan, you are truly an incorrigible imp!”

Teasing and being teased like this, Yan Yixuan eventually ran out of energy and dropped off to a comfortable sleep before Ning Wei finished his massage. After he was done, Ning Wei lay down beside his lover and watched his relaxed face with a smile.

Glowing streaks of sunrays slid over the floor as the sun slowly rose higher in the sky. No one came to disturb the quiet in the room, leaving the couple alone.

Yan Yixuan woke up three hours later, dazed and befuddled. His eyelids felt too laden to open and it was as if his bones had turned to heavy stone. His entire body was suffused with aches and pains, every joint creaking and every muscle twanging at the slightest of movement. His head felt dizzy while his throat hurt as if scraped raw. His insides felt thick and swollen as if churned violently, making him wonder if he’d eaten something particularly bad yesterday. But in stark contrast, his mind was light and airy, floating on clouds of contentment.

For a second, Yan Yixuan felt he had a wonderful dream he couldn’t quite remember. The thought that he awoke from that blissful dream made despair echo in his chest. There was no way such a good thing could be real.

And then the reason behind the pain and discomfort in his body hit him.

Yan Yixuan froze and pried his eyes open. Seeing Ning Wei lying beside him, his eyes warm with affection, the young man was shocked. His mouth gaped open in disbelief and his lips trembled, but no words came out.

Ning Wei’s smile turned confused. “What is it, Ah-Xuan? Did you have a nightmare?”

Yan Yixuan felt overwhelmed and buried his head into his beloved’s chest. How many years had he dreamed and yearned for this? Now, it had finally come true. What he wanted most in his life finally came true. His dream was real.

The young man’s voice was both hard and hoarse as he said, “You’re mine now. You can’t leave me.”

Though Ning Wei didn’t know what happened to his lover, he still hugged him close and reassured, “Mn, I won’t leave you.”

Yan Yixuan’s arms tightened around him, his muscles trembling due to exhaustion. “You’re really mine now.”

Ning Wei felt a hint of wetness spread on his chest and his expression softened. He pressed a gentle kiss to the top of the young man’s head. “Mn, I’m really yours.”

Yan Yixuan’s body shuddered and Ning Wei silently held him, stroking his back comfortingly.

Yan Yixuan quickly got himself under control and let go. He kept his head bowed, unwilling to let Ning Wei see his tears as he quickly wiped his face. When he was done, he looked up with red-rimmed eyes and a wide smile. “Ah-Wei, I’m very, very happy. So happy that I don’t know what to do. It feels unreal.”

Ning Wei didn’t quite know what to make of his lover’s mood, but he still smiled back and said, “I’m happy too that I have you now.” His tone then turned playful as he teased, “You don’t need to worry, Ah-Xuan. Your beauty isn’t going anywhere from your side.”

Yan Yixuan choked out a laugh, then smiled so brightly that his eyes were squeezed into crescents. “Yes, you have to tend to me both inside and outside my bed.”

Ning Wei rubbed his head. “Need I remind you that this is actually my bed?”

Yan Yixuan grinned. “Since you’re mine, can’t I claim your bed too?”

Chuckling, Ning Wei leaned forward to press a gentle kiss to his forehead. “Yes. Yes, you can.”

The young man laughed out of sheer happiness. He couldn’t remember the last time he laughed and smiled so much. He beamed up at Ning Wei and suddenly said, “Let’s take a stroll outside.”

Ning Wei gave him a questioning look. “Wouldn’t it be better for you to rest now?”

Yan Yixuan shook his head, still smiling. “The day on which we became lovers seems more beautiful than any other. I want to appreciate it fully with you.”

Ning Wei couldn’t resist such a sweet reason. He ruffled the young man’s hair and teased, “You’re such a smooth-talker. I guess I can only fall prey to your seductive wiles and agree.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled and prepared to get out of bed.

Seeing the young man’s slow and strained movements, Ning Wei asked, “Do you want me to carry you?”

Yan Yixuan once again shook his head. “I’d still like you to support me.”

Ning Wei easily agreed and would an arm around his lover’s shoulders and pulled him against his body. Yan Yixuan wrapped an arm around Ning Wei’s waist and leaned into his beloved’s side. As they set out in this way, Ning Wei’s warmth and scent slowly enveloped Yan Yixuan, making his eyes darken.

Ning Wei sensed his mood shifting and cluelessly asked, “Is something wrong, Ah-Xuan?”

Yan Yixuan stated, “I hate that I can’t pull you back into bed again. I’ll be more diligent in strengthening my body from now on. I’ll even eat all the disgusting things the physicians ask me to if it can improve my health quickly.”

Seeing his gaze heated with determination, Ning Wei let out a startled laugh. “Is there a need to rush this much?”

Yan Yixuan shot him a sullen look. “Ah-Wei, you might not feel the urgency, but as a young man who has just come of age, my sex drive is still quite strong! And adding to that, do you even know how many years I’ve had to suppress my attractio―” Yan Yixuan snapped his mouth closed. Damn, it had become so natural to talk to his Ah-Wei that he’d just let it slip!

Ning Wei gave him a smile that said he definitely hadn’t missed it. In a casual tone, he probed, “Oh? Do tell. How many years have you been interested in me?”

Yan Yixuan looked away and pressed his lips together in case his blasted mouth betrayed him again.

Having expected it, Ning Wei chuckled and prodded further, “Speaking of which, I keep feeling that we must have met before the day we allied our households. I’m guessing you remember?”

Yan Yixuan very studiously studied the weave of his outer robe. Ah, look how loose his Ah-Wei’s clothing was on him! It was so absolutely fascinating that he couldn’t hear his beloved’s questions at all!

Ning Wei laughed at his avoiding behavior. “Fine, I won’t force you to tell me.”

Seeing him being so understanding, Yan Yixuan felt guilty. “Ah-Wei, I’m sorry, but I really don’t feel ready to remind you about it.”

Ning Wei glanced at him curiously. “Why?”

Yan Yixuan bit his lip. “That… I acted in such a despicable way that I’m afraid you won’t like me as much after remembering it.”

Ning Wei couldn’t hide his surprise. Just what had happened? Giving his obviously troubled lover a long look, he said, “Ah-Xuan, I understand if you want to take your time. I won’t force you to tell me something you obviously don’t want to, and I’m sure it won’t have much bearing on our relationship anyway. After all, it’s the present you that I want. But if our first meeting is a thorn in your heart, then it’s better to remove it sooner or later rather than letting it stay stuck, don’t you think?”

After a pause, Yan Yixuan nodded. “I…understand. But I still need some time. Is that…okay?”

His face softening, Ning Wei gave him a small squeeze with the arm still wrapped around the young man’s shoulders. “Of course it’s alright. Take all the time you need.”

Yan Yixuan nodded.

There were a few moments of silence before Yan Yixuan froze and accused, “Ah-Wei, you distracted me! We were talking about me getting healthier so that we can do it more often, so how did the topic change to something else?”

Ning Wei chuckled. How did he not realize how single-minded his beloved could be? “What’s there to discuss? Ah-Xuan, you don’t have to wait till your health’s better to satisfy your body. After all, there are several other ways I can help you without having to tire you out. We don’t always have to go all the way.”

Yan Yixuan’s eyes lit up. He already started planning all the things he wanted to do with Ning Wei.

Ning Wei saw his beloved’s eyes shining while sunken in thought and decided he didn’t need to know what was going on in that all-too-enthusiastic mind of his.

In this way, they couple slowly wandered their way over to the garden behind the courtyard.

Sunlight streamed down, brushing warmth over the verdant green of the shrubbery. The late morning breeze caused the leaves to rustle and the flowers to bob and sway merrily. Birds chirped from some unseen place while dragonflies fluttered their iridescent wings and glided by soundlessly. The scent of healthy vegetation and fragrant flowers spiced the fresh air. Deeper in the garden, a small pond reflected the warm blue sky that stretched above limitlessly.

As the wind blew back their hair, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei stood in the shade of the eaves and looked at the garden with tranquil smiles. Languid peace seeped into them. Could anything be better that viewing such a scene while accompanied by their beloved?

The cheerful voice of a young girl interrupted their quiet. “Master, you’ve brought your lover here?”

Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei turned to see a girl who couldn’t be older than sixteen approaching them. She was hugging a large basket stuffed with leafy branches while a thin, long, and docile-looking brown snake was wound around her upper arm, its head lazily resting on her shoulder. The girl seemed used to having a snake perched on her. She wore her hair in a bun while her outfit was worn and practical. Her rounded cheeks and lively wide eyes made her seem particularly young, cute, and innocent.

Yan Yixuan nodded at her and introduced, “Ah-Wei, this is Tao Ming. She takes care of my pets.”

Ning Wei looked at the adorable young girl wryly. He couldn’t have guessed at all.

The young girl called Tao Ming beamed up at Ning Wei. “Hello! Are you Master’s future husband, Duke Ning?”

Ning Wei’s lips twitched. He and Yan Yixuan had just become lovers. Wasn’t it a bit too early to call him that? But looking at how his beloved’s expression seemed to have brightened upon hearing Tao Ming’s words, Ning Wei amusedly realized they hadn’t been meant for him after all.

He nodded at Tao Ming. “Hello. Yes, I am Ning Wei.”

Tao Ming continued to shine her bright smile at him, her rosy cheeks plumping up with the force of it. “That’s great! Are you here to get a flower branch to give to Master? It’s about time!”

Ning Wei coughed. Well…he had truthfully intended to do that yesterday after realizing he liked Yan Yixuan. But it turned out there wasn’t even a need for him to begin pursuing him. The young man had ended up taking the first step by coming to his room on his own last night.

Sensing his beloved’s slight embarrassment, Yan Yixuan chuckled. He said to Tao Ming, “Since we already got together, is there a reason for us to follow those courtship formalities any longer?”

Tao Ming gave a cheeky grin and looked at Ning Wei. “Now, now. What type of lover would the general even be if he didn’t show such romantic gestures after taking a young man’s virginity?”

Yan Yixuan turned red. “Xiao-Tao!”

Ning Wei raised a brow. “Well…in that case, Ah-Xuan should present me with a bough of flowers as well, since prior to last night, I was a virgin too.”

Both Yan Yixuan and Tao Ming stared at him incredulously.

Ning Wei was in his mid-twenties and had been out and about during the war, unlike the twenty-year-old Yan Yixuan who seldom left his house due to his frail health. Not to mention that Yan Yixuan had also received several reports about Ning Wei visiting the red light district with his comrades. By all rights, they’d expected Ning Wei to have more experience.

Yan Yixuan was the first to recover. He broke the silence with a chuckle and dragged Ning Wei off to resume their stroll, leaving behind Tao Ming still gaping with stupefaction.

As they walked slowly, Ning Wei smiled and suddenly said, “I know you have questions. Ask.”

Yan Yixuan immediately began, “How can yesterday be your first time? Shouldn’t you have had many more chances before? And if it was your first time…how were you so good in bed?”

Facing his lover’s burning eyes, Ning Wei could only laugh. “Is it really that surprising? Alright, let me answer them in turn.

“Firstly, no, I didn’t have as many chances as you think. My adolescence and most of the time after was spent on the battlefield. I never felt relaxed enough to be in the mood to satisfy my physical urges. If I had the time, I would hide out in my room or tent and take care of it by hand, and if I didn’t have the time, a few buckets of cold water did the trick. I had no intentions of entering a relationship until I was sure I would come back from the war alive. I felt I’d be doing a disservice to my partner otherwise.

“Secondly, though I’d never lain with another person before, I learnt a lot about sex from all the picture books that got passed around in the barracks under the cover of night. During the tenser period of the war when I took over my father’s duties, we didn’t have the leisure to stroll into cities and spend the night in the pleasure quarters, so most of us usually made do with our hands or by looking through explicit picture books and letting our imaginations run wild. I simply used all those days studying those books to my advantage yesterday night.”

Yan Yixuan frowned. “…Really? Why do I feel that picture books alone shouldn’t have been able to give you that much expertise?”

Sighing at his beloved’s astuteness, Ning Wei confessed, “In truth, I was also dragged along by my companions to let off steam in brothels, but I never partook. I only watched whatever entertainments they put up on the main stage. As I said, I was under too much stress to feel like enjoying such pleasures, and I’m also not the type to just do it once with someone and leave them after, even if it was a prostitute. So I merely watched the performances on the main stage. If it was of the, ehem, more explicit variety, then I sometimes asked questions when something interested me. The people at the brothels were happy enough to indulge me as long as I paid well.”

Yan Yixuan couldn’t help the pleased smile blooming on his face as his arm tightened around Ning Wei’s waist. He was gladder than he'd admit that he was his beloved’s first time.

Peering up at Ning Wei, he asked, “But Ah-Wei, why did you hide the matter with the brothels?”

Ning Wei sheepishly explained, “I was afraid you would feel displeased or unduly jealous, though I should’ve realized you aren’t that sort of a person.”

Yan Yixuan laughed. “You needn’t have feared that.” Then flashing him a smile, he said, “Ah-Wei, you’re a very good learner. You should continue learning, but only with me from now on.”

Smiling softly, Ning Wei agreed, “Yes.”

Their walk after that was filled with quiet and an implicit intimacy.

When Yan Yixuan began to feel his legs shake from tiredness, they stopped for a break. They rested on a low sidewall bordering one side of the corridor with open air brushing their backs. A passing-by servant happily gave Yan Yixuan a handful of plums to eat from the basketful she was carrying to the kitchens.

Yan Yixuan carefully divided them and gave half to Ning Wei before starting to eat his share with relish.

Ning Wei’s gaze on his beloved was laden with affection. But his attention was gradually drawn to the young man’s lips turned darker and glossier by the plum juice. The way Yan Yixuan licked his lips every now and then only made the effect more prominent.

Ning Wei swallowed, feeling a bit thirsty.

Noticing his staring, Yan Yixuan asked, “Is something wrong with my lips? Do you think it looks funny or something?”

Arching a brow with surprise, Ning Wei asked, “Funny? I wouldn’t say that.” His gaze turned heated. “I think they look enchanting, but maybe that’s only because they’re yours.”

Yan Yixuan pressed his lips together as his ears flushed pink. He refuted, “Come now, Ah-Wei. I know they’re a bit lopsided.”

“Lopsided?” Ning Wei blinked in surprise. “How so?”

Pointing to his lips, Yan Yixuan explained, “See? The bottom one is fatter than the top one.”

Ning Wei hid the twinkle in his eyes and solemnly held his beloved's hand before declaring dramatically, “Ah-Xuan, your upper lip is thin and elegant, while the lower one is plump and provocative. It’s a perfect combination that suits you very well.”

Yan Yixuan chortled. “My, what a romantic way to describe them.”

Grinning, Ning Wei asked, “Do you dislike it? Or rather, do you dislike how your mouth looks?”

The young man shrugged. “I’m not one to care much about appearances, so I don’t really mind how I look. I just think that the way my lips are shaped is curious. But if I had to have preferences about my appearance, I’d rather my face look rugged, scarred, and menacing so that I could skip all the troublesome mind games and have my opponents fear me by just directing a scowl at them.” He promptly demonstrated by pretending to scowl at Ning Wei.

Ning Wei laughed and poked his scrunched brows, causing them to smoothen as Yan Yixuan smiled back.

“That kind of preference sounds like you,” Ning Wei observed.

Yan Yixuan nodded cheerfully. “Yes, it’s more useful, isn’t it? I’m a bit regretful that Elder Brother never tried to scar my face. I could have looked frightening then.”

Ning Wei grew quiet and suddenly hugged his beloved tightly.

Yan Yixuan didn’t resist and blinked at him perplexedly.

“Don’t say that.” Ning Wei’s voice was serious and slightly hoarse. “I’d rather you not have gotten any of the scars you already have. I wish your life had been as painless and happy as you deserve.”

Yan Yixuan smiled and embraced him back, wrapping his arms tightly around this man who cared too much. “Thank you. But Ah-Wei, you shouldn’t be distressed. The very fact that I’m able to joke about my past means that I’m healing and moving forward, doesn’t it?”

Ning Wei let out a breath and buried his face in his lover’s hair. “…I suppose you’re right.”

Yan Yixuan nodded emphatically. “Yes, I’m definitely right. So forget about worrying, and here, have a plum.”

Feeling a juicy plum being pressed against his lips, Ning Wei couldn’t help but smile. He opened his mouth and let Yan Yixuan feed him plums to cheer him up, then reciprocated. The passing by servants all grinned from ear-to-ear as they were fed with this display of sweetness.

Once they’d had their fill of pampering each other, the couple resumed strolling aimlessly. Whenever Yan Yixuan needed a rest, they would sit wherever was convenient and cuddle. It was as if they were in their own little bubble of love.

When time came for lunch, they shared the meal happily and parted ways. Ning Wei wanted to go and relay that he now had a lover to his family, while Yan Yixuan decided to look over the most urgent of the documents on his desk before resting. After Ning Wei padded Yan Yixuan’s chair in the study generously to minimize his lover’s discomfort, the couple traded deep and longing gazes before finally, reluctantly parting.

They only met again after evening settled over the world, dying the sky in rich purple and fiery orange.

When Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei stood before each other, they each held a delicate bough of flowers. Seeing the branch in the other’s hands, they realized their lover had the same idea and burst into laughter.

Yan Yixuan quickly straightened his expression and solemnly presented his bough of white peach blossoms to Ning Wei. Since it was spring, the peach trees lining one side of the estate had bloomed beautiful flowers, suffusing the air with their fragrance.

“Ning Wei,” Yan Yixuan said while offering the bough. “With this, I’m telling you that I love you.”

The general carefully accepted the branch with a hand and nodded. His smile was soft and tinged with helplessness. Extending his own branch of wisterias that he’d gotten from the tree growing at the center of the Ning residence, he spoke, “Here, this is from me to you to tell you that I like you as well. Let it not be said that I won’t make any romantic gestures to you just because we’re already together.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled and accepted the branch that hung heavily with strands of bluish-purple flowers. His eyes gleamed brightly as if unable to contain his joy.

The couple looked at each other, not knowing what to say, then burst out laughing again.

When their mirth abated, Ning Wei reached out a hand and Yan Yixuan took it with a smile. With their fingers intertwined, the couple walked back to their courtyard as the setting sun lovingly traced their silhouettes with deep gold light.

 

Mini Theater

Later that day, Ruan Shu is passing by a certain bedroom when he hears voices―

Yan Yixuan: It’s no good…it can’t fit in…

Ning Wei: What if I do this?

Yan Yixuan: Ah-Wei, stop shoving it in! It’s too big!

Ning Wei: Wait, just a little more…

Yan Yixuan: No, stop…it won’t be able to― Ah!

Ning Wei: Ah-Xuan! Shit, you’re bleeding! I’m so sorry! Wait, I’ll―

Unable to hear his brother being abused in bed anymore, Ruan Shu throws open the doors and barges in.

Ruan Shu: General Ning, what are you doing to this household’s most precious―

He finally processes the image of Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei standing by the bedside table fully clothed. A vase with a cracked open mouth sits on the table, two flowering branches squeezed into it partway. One of the vase’s sharply cracked edges seems to have injured Yan Yixuan’s hand. Ruan Shu smoothly improvises:

Ruan Shu: ―vase? Wait, I’ll go and bring one with a larger mouth.

Shutting the door on the couple’s confused faces, Ruan Shu thus hastily flees.

Ning Wei: …I didn’t know your Brother Ruan cared so much for your household’s vases.

Yan Yixuan: To be honest, neither did I. We learn something new every day.

 

We'll be seeing a lot more of this couple shamelessly spreading dog food from now on~ (* ⇁ ‿⇁)

If you enjoyed the chapter, remember to use the like button at the top or bottom of the page to tell me! (○⁀ ▾ ⁀○)

And I suppose we're far along enough into the story now that I can request you to leave a rating and/or review to show how you feel about it so far~ (๑╹ω╹๑)

43