Chapter 34: Parting
459 5 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Faced with the revelation that Ning Guang was alive, Ning Wei and Master Jin exhibited a mixture of emotions ranging from astonishment and incredulity to tentative hopefulness.

For Ning Wei, hearing that the father he respected and looked up to so much was alive, he felt more disbelieving than anything. Could such a thing really be true? After so many years of grieving and self-blame, he didn’t know how to deal with this sudden shock.

As for Master Jin…only he knew how complex and convoluted the thoughts rioting in his mind were.

Yan Yixuan continued, trying to keep his tone as measured as possible to avoid alarming them more, “The country of Xie has been holding Ning Guang captive in a hidden location all these years, waiting to use him as a trump card. They are willing to release him to us as long as the empress agrees to share a certain amount of our resources with them. But to make sure that it won’t hurt the empire’s treasury, I am required to help in the final steps of negotiation for the treaty with the kingdom of Sui. I will be departing with the other officials taking on this task as soon as preparations are ready.”

Ning Wei’s eyes came alight with a strange mixture of grief, loss, anger, and worry. His eyes turned red at the corners, but remained so dry that they felt like they were burning.

Yan Yixuan wordlessly walked over to hug him tightly, patting his back. “Ah-Wei, I don’t know in what state your father is now, but he is alive. The empress has already started talks with Xie to get him back. You should go to Xie and accompany him on his way back home.”

Ning Wei finally snapped out of his roiling emotions and clamped his arms around Yan Yixuan. His beloved’s presence soothed his agitation like nothing else. He struggled to speak, but felt like there was too much and nothing to say simultaneously. There were too many emotions clashing within him. Ning Wei finally got out, “I can finally see my father again. But in return…you have to go to Sui?”

Yan Yixuan leaned back and smiled at him reassuringly. “Yes, but I’m not going alone so I’ll be alright. I only wish I could join you for moral support.”

Ning Wei frowned. “But didn’t you say that the king of Sui is…” He trailed away uncertainly. He’d already heard what type of a man that king was from his lover while being taught about the neighboring countries’ politics before. He couldn’t help but worry. Would his lover really be alright while under the sights of such a man?

The young man nodded, his smile unwavering. “Yes. But do you doubt my ability in handling him?”

Something eased within Ning Wei. That’s right. Perverted royals or not, his beloved would no doubt have already thought of several ways to deal with them. He had faith in his Ah-Xuan's cunning.

Ning Wei bent and pressed a kiss to his little fox’s forehead. “Thank you for helping my father. I will begin preparing to set out as well then.”

From the side, Master Jin watched them silently, his thoughts twisting and untwisting. Seeing his student comforting his lover and seeing their intimacy and tacit understanding…Master Jin realized that he now had the chance to obtain such things as well. The thought hit him abruptly, leaving him flustered. His hand trembled slightly where it gripped his cane. Memories galloped across his mind swiftly, reminding him of his days back in the war as a field medic, and the company of a certain man he had found solace in.

That man was courteous yet frank, righteous yet playful, and straightforward yet petty. He casually tossed in coarse words into polite speech at unexpected times, throwing people off. That man had liked to tease him for being too serious, yet he would always be the first to defend Master Jin if others spoke badly of him after falling victim to his temper. That man could be unruffled and resolute in the face of struggle and pain, but whenever Master Jin served as his medic after a battle, he would purposefully act pitiful in an attempt to garner his sympathy. And damn him, but his ploy had worked. As stern as he looked on the outside, Master Jin still had a soft heart when it came to that man.

Though he passed much time at the frontlines together with that ridiculous yet dependable person, Master Jin had failed to see it when the emotion in his companion’s eyes as he gazed at him changed from friendship to something else. He failed to recognize his own changing emotions when he returned that gaze. That was why it had come to him as such a shock when that man he had considered his dear friend asked to become his lover.

At that time, Master Jin had been fuelled with rage at his own helplessness and dealing with constant pain from his damaged leg. The prospect of having to leave the battlefield and the side of that man who’d accompanied him so long was excruciating, making him feel useless and pathetic. His own sense of inadequacy made him misunderstand the love behind that man’s actions as pity, and Master Jin flung all his negativity at him, rejecting his confession and shutting himself off in his own world of dissatisfaction and hopelessness.

In the end, it was a certain little student of his who had managed to help him see things a little differently, just enough to break him out of his gloom.

But by the time Master Jin was able to find out his own affections for that man, he was already gone.

Master Jin had spent seven days mourning him, but the gaping wound left behind by his absence was one that had never healed. He had simply learned to live while bearing it with stoic dignity, never willing to show it outside or speak of it aloud. He had expected his unfulfilled wish to stay like that, trapped inside him without a chance to ever see the light.

However, Master Jin now learned that he had a chance. He could make up for his regrets of back then. This time, he wouldn’t close himself off. This time, it was his turn to fight for that man.

“I will come too,” Master Jin suddenly said, his voice firm with determination. “I will go with you to Ning Guang’s side.”

The couple who had been quietly talking to each other stopped and turned to him in surprise.

Yan Yixuan had never seen his teacher look as resolute as he did now. He asked with puzzlement, “But Master Jin…why?”

The older man sighed, looking both weary and hopeful. “I want to let Ning Guang know that his flowers haven’t withered yet. At least not to me.”

The couple looked at each other with confusion. But when they finally understood, confusion turned to shock.

There was an old custom where if one wanted to court a person they liked, they could give them a bough of flowers. If the flowers withered and the recipient still hadn’t replied, then the proposal was said to have been rejected. But if the recipient wanted to accept, then they would send a message inviting the sender to spend time with them. Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei had also indulged in this custom after getting together and had exchanged flower branches as a sign of affection.

Hearing what Master Jin said, it was obvious that he must’ve once received flowers from Ning Guang.

Ning Wei recalled how distressed Master Jin had seemed over his father’s fate that first time they met in the Yan residence’s receiving room. Ning Wei had taken it as concern over a fellow soldier, but now… He realized that for the reticent Master Jin to show such an obvious reaction must mean he had been deeply and personally affected. Just how long had his father liked this person without letting even him, his son, know?!

Yan Yixuan was similarly stunned at how his teacher had managed to keep this from him all this time. He had never once even guessed!

Master Jin turned to his dismayed student, his stern countenance growing softer. “Yan Yixuan, thank you for taking on such a bothersome task for the sake of Ning Guang. I know that it will not be easy for you.”

Yan Yixuan snapped out of it and flushed a light pink. He cleared his throat and looked away. “That… Since Ning Guang is the previous general who was an asset to the empire, my beloved’s father, and also my benefactor who introduced you to me, it is only natural that I agreed to Sister Nuo’s terms. This much effort is well worth it if my future father-in-law can be brought back home again.”

Master Jin’s eyes grew suspiciously red, but with practiced ease, he wrenched himself back into control. He coughed, his steel-like façade settling back into place. “At this rate, it seems I will be forced to forgive you sooner rather than later.”

Turning to Ning Wei, Master Jin then commanded, “Call me before you set off. I want to be there when Ning Guang is finally released.”

Ning Wei nodded. “I will make sure to inform you before I depart.”

Satisfied, Master Jin turned around and strode away to make his own preparations. The tapping of his cane seemed full of purpose and more spirited than before as it slowly faded into the distance.

Left behind, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei didn’t know how to finish processing all the shocks they’d received today. But the quick progression of matters meant they didn’t have time to slowly ponder over them.

The next few days in the Yan residence passed in a flurry. They had to plan their travel, ready supplies, and arrange various documents for both Yan Yixuan’s and Ning Wei’s departure from the empire. Yan Yixuan also spent time with Master Jin to learn as much as he could about Sui. At the side, he thoroughly studied the unfinished treaty’s contents, the various factions’ views on different aspects of it, and all other relevant information surrounding it.

In between, Ning Wei managed to get in some time to digest the fact that his father was alive and even had someone he loved. He spent a few days talking it over with his relatives back at the Ning household and finally managed to deal with the revelations. Yan Yixuan also gave him his space while tackling his own shock with Ruan Shu’s help.

But once their startlement slowly passed and turned into acceptance, their imminent parting loomed over the couple.

During this time, though Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei never outright discussed the issue of them having to stay apart for a while, they acted much more sticky and sweet with each other than usual. It was as if they wanted to imprint these days spent with their beloved into their memories so that they could think back on it when they were separated later.

Every morning, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei kissed and cuddled together in bed until it threatened to get late. They would then share a bath and lovingly wash each other, their hands caressing their lover’s body as if memorizing every line and curve. They dried and dressed one another, then took turns brushing each other’s hair. They would take this time to talk in soft voices and tease their beloved with shining eyes.

Once, Yan Yixuan took the opportunity to sneak in a feather while brushing Ning Wei’s hair. The general had spent almost an entire day like that unknowingly, earning many a puzzled glance. Ning Wei took the chance to retaliate when Yan Yixuan dozed off in the chair while his hair was being brushed the next time. Ning Wei arranged the young man’s hair into a ridiculous updo, making Yan Yixuan burst out laughing when he saw himself in the polished copper mirror later.

After getting ready, it was time for breakfast, and it was filled with more cloying displays of affection and happy smiles.

Once he finished eating, Yan Yixuan often had to leave for the palace to hash out the details of his trip to Sui or discuss the treaty with the officials who would accompany him. And so, on the rare occasions he got to stay home, he and Ning Wei tried to spend as much time together as possible.

The Ning Wei who once tried his best to escape reading the material his beloved assigned to him suddenly became an enthusiastic student who occupied almost all of Yan Yixuan’s attention with questions about various things. Yan Yixuan was more than happy to answer him, and he sometimes even extended his replies so that he could speak with his Ah-Wei more. It was as if they couldn’t get enough of hearing each other’s voices.

When it was time for lunch, one of them cooked for them both, then they spent time either feeding each other or talking about their preferences in food. Yan Yixuan’s cooking ability had already improved by leaps and bounds, and he even suppressed his disgust for fish to cook a few dishes with them for Ning Wei.

As the skies began to darken towards evening, the couple would stroll the gardens hand-in-hand, silently basking in each other’s comforting presence and absorbing the peace and quiet of their surroundings. No matter how hectic or stressful their day, the pleasant company helped them shed it all away.

Sometimes they did nothing but walk, occasionally stopping to appreciate the beauty of any flowers in full bloom or passing-by butterflies with colorful wings. But at other times, one thing would lead to another and they'd end up in the shadows of trees or bushes, hands creeping into clothes while their mouths were fused together inseparably.

And then when night came, the couple retired for the day and dyed the atmosphere in their bedroom with passion. The uncertainty and reluctance before the oncoming parting fueled their hunger all the more, while their love and care for each other kept their hands and lips gentle.

They didn’t dare take it too far for fear of affecting Yan Yixuan’s physical state the next day, but the things they did to each other was nevertheless enough to leave them breathless and gasping while limbs thrashed with unbearable sensations and voices cracked hoarsely with the volume of their cries.

After twisting and tangling together on the bed as the moon slid across the sky, they nestled in each other’s arms while whispering words of love and adoration to each other. When they dropped off into sleep in their beloved’s embrace, their smiles were full of contentment.

The days and nights quickly passed in this way, and before the couple felt ready, it was already time for them to part.

Yan Yixuan was the first one who had to leave the house. As he was about to head out, Ning Wei held him close before kissing him affectionately on the forehead.

“Ah-Xuan, when you’re there, always pay attention to that lecherous king and his courtiers. Even at the cost of offending them, you shouldn’t let them take advantage of you. Finish up quickly and return to me soon.”

Yan Yixuan smiled and luxuriated in his beloved’s care. “Yes, I won’t be long. Sui’s capital is near the edge of our own border after all. It’s only a few days travel from there.” Then letting his shoulders droop, he complained, “Why couldn’t they have built it somewhere deeper where all the paths to it aren’t hemmed in by cliffs that fall apart frequently?”

Ning Wei laughed and lovingly brushed back a strand of hair from his lover’s forehead. “That’s because it’s an easily defensible place.”

Yan Yixuan sighed with forbearance. “It’s going to be so tiresome without you, Ah-Wei. I don’t know if even bullying Official Cang can make up for it. I’ve heard that one of the princes in Sui’s palace has a cat, so that’s at least something I can play with to pass the time.”

As if unable to get enough of touching him, Ning Wei smoothed his hands over Yan Yixuan’s arms. He asked amusedly, “I thought you only liked animals that can kill people?”

“Yes, but who says cats can’t kill?” Yan Yixuan seriously refuted. “They have sharp claws. One swipe to cut deep enough into someone’s artery is enough.” The young man lifted a hand before curling and uncurling his fingers to demonstrate.

Ning Wei laughed and rubbed his little fox’s head. As cute as it was when Hui-er did it, he found that seeing Yan Yixuan seriously mimic the gesture was even more adorable.

Stroking the young man’s head carefully, Ning Wei looked at him with a small smile. “Ah-Xuan, come back to me safely, alright?”

Yan Yixuan solemnly promised, “I will.” Then blinking at him playfully, he asked, “Do you want me to bring you any souvenirs?”

Ning Wei seriously thought about it. His hand lifted to rest on the sword strapped to his waist. “Since I’ll have to return my father’s sword to him, I might as well get one of my own. I’ve heard much about how the towns near the border sell high-quality weaponry, armor, and clothes. If you have the time and if it isn’t too out of your way, I’d like you to choose a sword for me.”

Yan Yixuan happily agreed. “Alright. What are your preferences?”

Unsheathing his father’s sword, Ning Wei pointed to the relevant sections one by one while saying, “I want a smoother and shorter hilt, not as intricate as this part here. It always digs into my palm when I clench it too tight. I’d like it if the blade can be thicker and a bit longer, about this much and up to here. Also, I’d really prefer something that’s much simpler in ornamentation than this one. I’m tired of having to clean all the little nooks and crannies after a battle.”

Yan Yixuan dutifully noted it all down in his heart. “I understand.” With twinkling eyes, he asked, “Don’t you have any pretty dresses or jewellery to ask from your future husband, Ah-Wei?”

Without missing a beat, Ning Wei batted his eyelashes at him, pretending to be coquettish. “A sword is enough of an adornment for me. But if you insist, I’ll ask for a pretty dress embroidered with a peacock as well then.”

Bursting into laughter, the young man asked incredulously, “Of all things, why a peacock?”

Ning Wei dropped the act and grinned. “On the night you performed that sword dance and stole my heart, weren’t you comparable to a peacock dancing with its colorful feathers spread out open to woo its mate?”

Yan Yixuan laughed anew and hugged his beloved, rubbing his cheek on his shoulder before admitting, “Yes, I was indeed trying to impress my mate.”

“And you succeeded,” Ning Wei said with a smile. Wrapping his arms around his lover, he jokingly went on, “That’s why your future wife thinks it’ll be fun if I had a pretty dress with a peacock to remember that day.”

Yan Yixuan buried his face into his shoulder and chuckled. “Then I’ll find a way to get one for my darling.”

Ning Wei shook his head with a wide smile and hugged him tighter. It was as if he was hoping that all their banter and teasing would somehow make the young man in his arms forget that he had to leave.

Unfortunately, it didn’t.

Yan Yixuan leaned back from the hug, a smile still stretching his lips. “If we keep playing around, I’ll delay the convoy. I have to go now, Ah-Wei.”

Ning Wei nodded. “Mn.”

“You have to take care of yourself,” Yan Yixuan said as he stepped back. “Master Jin might act surly when you set out, but it’s probably only because he’s nervous so don’t take it seriously.”

Ning Wei’s gaze was fixed on his beloved. “Alright.”

“And remember, no matter how bad your father’s condition is, don’t lose hope. We’ll figure something out,” the young man advised.

Ning Wei nodded. “I know.”

Yan Yixuan hesitated, then smiled. “I’ll be going then.”

Before the young man could turn around, he found a pair of strong arms clamping around him as a warm mouth pressed firmly onto his lips. Yan Yixuan gasped and held onto Ning Wei’s shoulders for balance. He noticed how the muscles under his hands were bunched with strain.

Ning Wei ravaged his mouth until they couldn’t breathe, then let go while panting. “Ah-Xuan, treat yourself well.”

Yan Yixuan nodded while still in a daze. He licked his swollen lips and struggled to collect himself again. Clearing his throat, he finally said huskily, “I-I have to go now.”

Ning Wei nodded and let him go, curling his fingers as if controlling his urge to keep his lover with him.

Yan Yixuan gave him one last smile with unhidden longing, then turned and walked towards the entrance.

This time, his departure was uninterrupted.

 

Don't worry, they'll both be done with their respective tasks by the end of the next chapter~ Though it'll be quite a few chapters before they can meet again ( ̄ω ̄;)

Here's a fluffy little extra scene as a bribe:

 

Extra Scene

(Waylaid in modern setting)

After Bodyguard Ning hears that CEO Yan has never been to an amusement park, they go to one on their next date.

They come across a stall with a shooting gallery, and CEO Yan wins a large red fox plushie with stitched-on sunglasses for his lover, while Bodyguard Ning wins a giant caramel-colored teddy bear wearing a dark camouflage jacket and holding a walkie-talkie in its plump little paws.

After returning to their vehicle to deposit their loot, they stroll around hand-in-hand while Bodyguard Ning heroically ignores the Ruan Shu who he senses hiding expertly in the shadows and taking pictures of them.

CEO Yan buys a cloud of blue cotton candy for himself and an ice cream cone for Bodyguard Ning. As they eat, CEO Yan spots a bit of cream sticking to his beloved’s upper lip and chuckles.

CEO Yan, offering his handkerchief: Here, Ah-Wei. Wipe your splendid little sweet mustache with this.

Bodyguard Ning, smirking: Wait, I’ll show you a splendid and sweet mustache.

He pinches off two little puffs from CEO Yan’s blue cotton candy, rolls them into fluffy ovals, then sticks them horizontally, with ends touching, onto the cream still on his upper lip.

Bodyguard Ning, twirling the ends of the cotton candy: Behold my glorious and sugary mustache.

CEO Yan doubles over laughing.

After he wipes away his tears of mirth, CEO Yan then promptly drags Bodyguard Ning into the nearest shadowed area for privacy and thoroughly cleans up his lover’s sugary lips with his own mouth.

Later, they’re walking together again, but this time with reddened lips and satisfied smiles.

CEO Yan, licking lips: Your mouth is so sweet, Ah-Wei.

Bodyguard Ning, chuckling: Not as sweet as yours when you compliment me.

CEO Yan, tightly hugging his boyfriend by the waist: Ah-Wei, I like you so much.

Bodyguard Ning, hugging him back with an arm: I like you a lot too, my little fox.

CEO Yan, smiling widely: Do you wish we can always be together like this? Whether in our past lives or future reincarnations, or even in parallel universes?

Bodyguard Ning, eyes warm: I sure hope so. That would make me very happy.

CEO Yan snuggles in closer to his lover, mind buzzing with happiness.

Crouching in the shadows nearby, Ruan Shu felt his heart melt at how adorable they were together even as his hands continue to relentlessly click on the camera.

26