Chapter 39: Travel
406 3 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over two weeks had passed since the bandits found Yan Yixuan after the landslide and the young man talked them into escorting him back to the empire.

During this time, the bandits had grown familiar with Yan Yixuan and felt both budding respect and protectiveness towards him, though Yan Yixuan himself didn’t try to get close to them or deliberately seek their goodwill. Other than helping when he could and staying clear when he couldn’t, the young man didn’t interact with them much.

On this day, they once again trudged through the forest.

Consecutive days of such exertion had made Yan Yixuan grow weaker. The many injuries resulting from his fall didn’t help. But the abundant streams crisscrossing through this forest meant that he could at least maintain his cleanliness to a certain degree. The bandits also supplied him with a fresh change of clothes each time he washed up. Though the robes fit loosely over him, they were clean and kept him warm.

Yan Yixuan had lost his waterskin in the landslide, so he had been unable to avail himself of the fortifying medicinal concoction since then. But whenever he grew especially conscious of his tiredness, he would still reach for it instinctively, seeking to take a sip and ease his fatigue.

After all this time together, the bandit group’s leader, Li Yang, had grown aware that this young man pushed himself too hard. So he had gotten into the habit of walking beside Yan Yixuan to keep an eye on his condition. If it looked as if the young man couldn’t go on anymore, Li Yang would call a halt to either take a break or set up camp if it was late in the day. Though it slowed their progress down by a lot, Li Yang didn’t mind. After all, they weren’t in a rush.

Oftentimes from his place beside Yan Yixuan, Li Yang noticed him reaching for his waist as if searching for something that wasn’t there and grew curious. Seeing the young man doing it again now, he finally gave in and asked, “Brat, what are you looking for?”

Yan Yixuan withdrew his hand from the empty spot on his hip once again and hid his disappointment. He never would have guessed there’d be a day he actually regretted not having that vile concoction to drink.

Without slowing his arduous stride, Yan Yixuan controlled his breathing and answered, “I have a weak constitution, so I have to consume a medicinal concoction regularly to nourish my body and strengthen it. I used to carry it around in a waterskin tied to my waist and took a sip whenever I felt tired. It must’ve gotten lost in the landslide. I still haven’t adjusted to not having it with me.”

“It helps you strengthen your body?” Li Yang asked skeptically. He walked at an easy pace, his bearing casual. Looking the skinny young man up and down, he asked skeptically, “Is that medicine any good?”

Dried leaves and twigs crunched crisply underfoot as Yan Yixuan dragged his heavy legs forward, one step at a time. His face was fixed in a mask of grim determination as a sheen of sweat coated his forehead. He shrugged and answered, “It tastes absolutely horrible but it does seem to work for me, albeit slowly.”

Li Yang chuckled. “Then you must feel glad that you don’t have to drink something that tastes so bad. Since it works slowly anyway, you shouldn’t miss much even if you don’t take it for two or three weeks.”

Yan Yixuan grew thoughtful. He wiped his sweat with the back of a hand and said, “That’s indeed true.” He paused, then admitted, “I still do miss the comforting familiarity of its disgusting flavor a little.”

Li Yang laughed. “Maybe it’s an acquired taste. Now I feel curious. You have to let me take a sip from your waterskin when you get back home so I can see just what it tastes like.”

The young man frowned, struggling to ignore the building discomfort and trying not to pant too hard. “No, it’s mine. You can have my steward pour you a new cup.”

Grinning, Li Yang commented, “You don’t like sharing what’s yours? As I thought, you’re such a kid, brat.”

Yan Yixuan turned to glare at him but was hit with a sudden bout of dizziness. His vision spun and he almost tripped. He caught a nearby tree in time and held his head in a hand, trying to disperse the lightheadedness.

Li Yang took back the hands he’d extended to support him just in case, and told, “Enough, you’re done for today. It’s already evening, so we can set up camp.”

Seeing the pair stop and hearing their leader’s words, the others halted as well and looked back.

Yan Yixuan leaned away from the tree and massaged his aching head while blinking to clear his vision. “No, I can last until night.” Straightening, he began walking again despite his sore muscles and joints groaning at him in protest. But he hadn’t taken even a couple of steps when his tired feet stumbled again.

Li Yang caught him by the arm and sighed. “Brat, why are you pushing yourself so hard? You don’t have a time limit for reaching the border, do you?”

Yan Yixuan hesitated and frowned. He didn’t think about it before, but Li Yang was right. Why was he hurrying so much? Why did he feel so restless unless he was walking towards home? Just why was he…?

Ning Wei’s image abruptly flashed through his mind.

Yan Yixuan swallowed and spoke in a daze, “My Ah-Wei’s waiting for me…”

At the side, Li Yang’s second-in-command, Wang Yin, raised an eyebrow. “Ah-Wei? Don’t tell me…you mean General Ning Wei? Are you still lying about how he’s your lover, or did you just sink into your own delusion so much that you think it’s real?”

Yan Yixuan’s heart thumped uneasily and he snapped at him, “Shut up!”

Startled silence settled over the group at this unexpected outburst, but the young man didn’t care.

In his moment of weakness, uncertainty tried to claw into Yan Yixuan’s heart, telling him that indeed, it must be a delusion that he’d earned Ning Wei’s affections. How could someone whose gaze was so warm and kind, whose movements could be so violent yet graceful, whose embraces gave such comfort and security, and whose kisses were so passionate yet gentle, willingly choose to be with him?

Yan Yixuan clenched his teeth. No, he couldn’t think like that. He forcefully squashed those familiar doubts and recalled the feeling of being enfolded in Ning Wei’s loving arms and the affectionate kiss placed on his forehead just before he left for Sui. He remembered the words his beloved had spoken:

Finish up quickly and return to me soon.

Ah-Xuan, come back to me safely, alright?

Ah-Xuan, treat yourself well.

No matter how dizzy or bleary he was, how could he doubt the sincerity in those words?

Yan Yixuan shook his head to clear it. What was he doing? His beloved had asked him to treat himself well. So how could he run around like this and worsen his health?

The anxious feeling constantly scratching the back of his mind subsided a little.

Yan Yixuan looked up to see that the bandits were peering at him with hints of concern in their gazes. He sighed and looked at Wang Yin. “Pardon me, I was rude to you.”

Wang Yin shifted with surprise, then waved it away. “It doesn’t matter. I must be the one who said something thoughtless.”

The young man gave him a grateful nod and turned to Li Yang. “Leader Li, you’re right. I’m too tired and need rest. Thank you for looking out for me. I will make sure I won’t worry you by pushing myself too hard from now on.”

Li Yang hid his relief and clapped Yan Yixuan on the shoulder. “So you finally came to your senses, eh? Did you realize you should take better care of yourself?”

Yan Yixuan nodded. “Yes. Because if I collapse partway, it’ll only delay us.”

Li Yang, “……”

Forget it. As long as the brat was more mindful of his health, it was good.

Since Yan Yixuan didn’t insist on slogging on anymore, the group cleared out some space and made camp for the night. After eating some dried rations paired with the leftovers from lunch, they settled down to sleep under the stars after leaving a couple of people to keep a lookout. Though the bandits did have tents, they preferred to use it only when the weather necessitated it to avoid wearing it out earlier.

By now, Yan Yixuan had grown used to sleeping on top of a few layers of cloth over the hard ground, with a scant few more covering him to block the cold night wind. Though it wasn’t nearly as luxurious as what he was used to, it was still much better than what the bandits allowed themselves. After all, Yan Yixuan was visibly frailer, so they tried to care for him however they could.

Once Yan Yixuan lay down to sleep, his exhausted body felt as heavy as a rock and just as immovable. Wriggling around to get as comfortable as the situation permitted, Yan Yixuan closed his eyes and felt sleep weigh his mind. Sighing softly, he drowsily pondered upon the difference between his relaxed state now and his alertness back when he had just joined up with the bandits.

On that first night, Yan Yixuan had lain down on the very edge of the group, careful to keep his back to the ground and his senses open so that he wouldn’t miss any danger, be it a wild animal or an ill-intentioned human. After removing his coronet and hair stick before sleep like usual, he tightly clutched the white jade hair stick under the sheets, unmindful of setting off some of his bruises or the formerly dislocated elbow.

Holding something that reminded him of Ning Wei made Yan Yixuan feel safe, as if his beloved was right here by his side, protecting him. But of course, he didn’t just rely on that sense of security. If anyone tried to assault him under the cover of night, he was determined to give them a nice and bloody hole with the hair stick to feel regretful about.

Surprisingly, no one made a move on him that night, and Yan Yixuan fell asleep while thinking how rare it was to find bandits with such integrity.

Over the course of the next few days, Li Yang had slowly increased their pace from the very leisurely one he set at the beginning when Yan Yixuan joined them. Li Yang reckoned that with his injuries healing smoothly, the young man should be capable of more exertion. Yan Yixuan silently kept up with the bandits, not bringing up his discomfort or tiredness until he almost collapsed one day. It was only then that Li Yang discovered how much Yan Yixuan tended to overexert himself and decided to walk beside him.

For their meals, they ate fruits and meat from animals they found nearby, with dry rations making up the biggest portion. After living as a noble for so long, Yan Yixuan found it unpalatable. But as a result of his childhood in the mountains where he mostly starved, he was loath to waste food and finished his share without complaint, much to the others’ surprise.

A few days after they set out, the group came across a clear stream with an abundance of edible fish and decided to stay there for a while. They first decided to wash off the travel dust accumulated over the past several days and stripped before diving into the stream.

Yan Yixuan was reluctant to dip into such cold water. But as used to cleanliness as he was, his inability to wash up the last few days really weighed on him. In the end, he succumbed to the lure of being clean again and removed his clothes before wading into the water.

As the young man took the time to carefully and methodically wash himself, the others were already done having a quick bath and lazed around in the water like comfortable hippos. The contents of their casual chat eventually meandered over to the young man they had picked up and ended up being hired by. As they looked over to Yan Yixuan while talking, they noticed that the man they assumed to be a pampered young master actually had many scars on his body.

From what they could see, rows of thin, straight lines ran down his back, arms, and front. Since the rest of Yan Yixuan was hidden underwater, they didn’t know if there were more on his legs. The fading bruises on the young man’s skin made the encompassed scars stand out even more.

Curious, the bandits slowly waded up to him to observe them from up close.

At first, Yan Yixuan stiffened with caution at suddenly being surrounded by a group of men with eyes shining inquisitively. But seeing how none of them touched him rudely, the young man relaxed again and continued bathing.

Li Yang folded his arms and looked at the scars with a complicated expression. He, like most of his men, had many scars from fighting or accidental injuries. But something about the methodical and purposeful way the scars lined Yan Yixuan’s youthful skin in neat rows made him feel cold.

Those marks were made with deliberate, malicious brutality. Unlike Li Yang’s own scars that were the result of his opponents fighting against him for their lives, this young man had been injured with the intention of needlessly causing him suffering and pain. And considering Yan Yixuan’s current age and how old the scars themselves looked, they must have been cut into him when Yan Yixuan was quite young. Just what sort of person would do something so twisted to a child?

By now, the bandits’ curiosity had inevitably given way to realization as well, and the relaxed atmosphere turned more subdued. Yan Yixuan noticed the change but didn’t concern himself with it, focusing on his own task of washing himself as much as possible in the available time.

After a stretch of silence, one of the bandits asked, “Is it alright if I ask who did this to you?”

Yan Yixuan felt amused at how carefully that was worded. Without looking at them, he replied casually, expression unchanging, “It was my older half-brother.”

The others’ gazes grew subtle, sympathy beginning to emerge in their eyes.

“Do they hurt or impede your movement?” Li Yang asked worriedly. If they did, he’d have to adjust their schedule to put less strain on the young man.

Yan Yixuan shook his head. “The injuries that caused them were only skin-deep and didn’t cut through any muscle.”

The second-in-command, Wang Yin, rubbed his clean-shaven chin and commented, “If the cuts were that shallow, then they shouldn’t have formed such distinct scars.”

“At first, they didn’t,” Yan Yixuan spoke, his voice without any ripples. “But my brother liked to cut over the same spot again and again until it scarred and ‘marked’ me as his property.”

His unbothered tone made the bandits look at him with complex expressions ranging from respect and compassion to heartbreak. How much suffering must he have gone through to grow so stoic and uncaring about memories that must be incredibly painful and traumatic?

Looking up and finding himself surrounded by such looks, Yan Yixuan’s lips twitched. He raised his brows with deliberate arrogance and said, “Don’t pity me. In fact, you should envy me my good fortune that my elder brother very considerately went and died in a fire, causing me to inherit the entire household with all its wealth, power, and prestige. I’d say I’m still much well-off than you.”

Instant grumbling and complaining about rich young masters and their unfounded boasting ensued, washing away the previous gloomy mood. Though most knew that Yan Yixuan was deliberately poking at them to divert their attentions, they decided to go along with it and cheer up.

After bathing and drying, Yan Yixuan graciously accepted a new set of clothes and put them on.

The bandits divided work amongst themselves and set about washing the dirty clothes, starting a fire, hunting animals, cooking, checking inventory, planning the next stretch of their travel, and other things. As the weakest among them, Yan Yixuan was tasked with the important duty of resting and fanning his hair dry so that he wouldn’t catch a cold.

In truth, Yan Yixuan didn’t like sitting here with nothing to do. But his injuries, combined with all tasks already being taken over by the bandits, meant that there was truly nothing he could contribute. And so, the young man could only sit at the side and lazily dry his hair for now. Meanwhile, he unashamedly eavesdropped on the surrounding conversations to pass the time.

Some bandits complained loudly about having the same old dry rations to eat while others spoke about how they missed their family in the empire or wondered how their close friends and relatives were doing. A few sat in the shade under a tree with maps spread before them and heatedly debated about which routes would be better to take next. Of course, there were also a couple who traded dirty jokes and laughed amongst themselves, and some who ribbed a particular man, joking that he shed enough hair that he could easily knit himself a blanket with how much he dropped each week.

As the various threads of conversation flowed around him, Yan Yixuan suddenly caught someone mentioning him and perked up his ears.

Nearby, a group of bandits stood in a loose circle, talking amongst themselves.

One of the bandits was saying, “Yes, the brat really is weak and slowing us down. But you can’t call the poor boy lazy when he’s already working himself to exhaustion keeping up with the current pace. If anything, I want us to slow down even more so he can get more rest.”

A corner of Yan Yixuan’s lips quirked up as he continued listening with sharp interest.

Another bandit seemed to agree with his companion’s views, “I wanted to suggest that to the leader too. Thinking of everything that brat must have been through, I feel like taking care of him a bit more. He also said he’ll be paying us, so that makes him our client. Isn’t it our job to take care of our client’s wellbeing?”

“That is, if he can really pay us,” someone muttered.

“Do you think the leader will let him go if he doesn’t?”

A man interjected, “Putting profit aside, can you justify being harsh to him? He’s so skinny, you can’t blame him for not being able to follow at our usual pace. Plus…just recalling all the scars he has and knowing how he must have gotten them, I feel like treating him like my own little brother so he won’t get hurt anymore.”

Another one sighed and added, “That’s true. As someone who lost his parents, just thinking of how that brat was crying for his mother while he was still unconscious on the first day makes me sympathize with him a lot.”

“I remember that. The pitiful boy…” a bandit said and shook his head. “He’s so young and already been through so much.”

“It shows that money doesn’t buy everything,” someone expressed pragmatically.

The man beside him nodded. “We should take care of the brat when we can. Who knows what he’d do without us. He’s so inexperienced and sheltered that―”

A sharpened stick suddenly stabbed into the ground right in the middle of the circle of bandits, causing a few to jump and other to stiffen in fright.

“Even without you,” a young man’s voice drawled. “I think I’ll manage to survive.”

As the stupefied bandits turned to him as one, Yan Yixuan lifted the stick he’d stabbed down between them to reveal a brown snake weakly squirming on it. But since the sharpened end had gone through its skull, the animal soon went limp and hung down lifelessly.

The bandits suddenly realized that as they were talking, that snake must have somehow made its way between them. Since its color matched the ground and they were so engrossed in chatting, they hadn’t discovered it.

Yan Yixuan raised an eyebrow at them. “You should be more vigilant. The snakes around here may not be poisonous, but their bites are still nasty and won’t be pleasant, especially if you get bitten on your foot and have to walk with that injury.”

What could the men do but stare at him blankly and nod their heads? Some of their faces reddened with embarrassment. Here they were talking about how weak he was, and not only had the young man heard them, he even proved his capability right after.

Shaking the stick with the snake, Yan Yixuan said amusedly, “Since I hear that some of you aren’t satisfied with the rations, why not catch some snakes and supplement the meat with them? There are plenty of them in this area after all.”

The bandits went green. While they had still been under employment as guards, they never had to eat random animals like this, so they felt an instinctive aversion to it that remained with them to this day.

Noticing the change in their pallor, Yan Yixuan tsked, eyes dancing with humor. “If even someone as sheltered as me can stomach it, surely you won’t have any issues.”

One of them cleared his throat. Unwilling to admit that they couldn’t stomach it, he said, “Actually, none of us is all that good at cooking, so even if we try, we might not cook the snake properly.”

Yan Yixuan smiled. “How fortunate for you all that I just recently learned how to cook all kinds of meat. Let me help you then.”

With that, the young man set out towards where the meal was being prepared and began skinning the snake. After he readied all the edible parts and arranged it among the ingredients, he pretended to not notice the queasy glances of the others. He felt vindictive pleasure at the thought of the people who discussed his ‘inexperience’ now having to eat the snake he caught and prepared.

Deciding that he was done being unproductive, Yan Yixuan next went to catch fishes at the stream with another sharpened stick. His body still ached from the travel, but he was determined to be useful. Once he had a neat pile of fishes, he left the others to take care of cleaning it and borrowed a bow and quiver of arrows. He then proceeded to shoot down low-flying birds from the sky with frightening accuracy.

In front of the wide eyes and gaping mouths of the bandits, Yan Yixuan secured enough meat for a veritable feast.

Li Yang cleared his throat and finally said, “Thank you. But was it necessary for you to do this much when you could have been resting?”

Yan Yixuan said mildly, “I heard some of your men complain about eating the same rations every day, and even I got a little tired of it, so I thought of contributing a little to today’s dinner, that’s all.”

As they looked disbelievingly at the large pile of his ‘little contribution’, Yan Yixuan smugly thought that the increased pain in his body was definitely worth it.

Of course, he wasn’t done yet. Yan Yixuan decided to take charge of the cooking as well since he was confident in it after spending so much time learning under Ning Wei and Ruan Shu. After obtaining the prepared fish, some dried vegetables, and spices, Yan Yixuan tied a cloth around the lower half of his face so he wouldn’t have to smell the fish, then started cooking.

After a while, the bandits slowly congregated around the pot, drawn in by the smell.

Seeing the generous amount of spices the young man was using, Li Yang snapped out of his daze and pointed out uneasily, “Brat, if you keep using the spices at this rate, we’ll run out of them in about two weeks.”

Yan Yixuan shrugged. “So what?”

“It was meant to last us months!” Li Yang protested.

Yan Yixuan glanced at him, then turned back to the pot. “Two weeks is enough. Won’t you be able to buy more after getting back to the empire?”

Li Yang sighed while his second-in-command explained, “Brat, spices are expensive.”

The young man reassured, “After I pay you, it won’t seem that way.”

A few of the bandits listening at the side hooted and whistled happily.

Someone commented half-jokingly, “It’s our good fortune that we not only have a client who will pay us well, but he also cooks for us well.”

Li Yang looked at his rowdy men helplessly. They were clearly looking forward to whatever the brat was using so much of the spices to make. Shaking his head with a smile, he finally relented, “Fine, then. Use what you want, but you’ll have to pay it back to me later.”

Yan Yixuan nodded. “Of course I will.”

Once he was done, the young man called for the others to come to him with their bowls and filled them up. Everyone ate with much enthusiasm, and to Yan Yixuan’s satisfaction, they came up to ask for refills until there wasn’t even a drop or crumb left. Yan Yixuan himself ate a bit of everything except the fish and finally felt that the food was palatable.

As they ate, the bandits mused about what all new gear they could buy and what all damaged materials they could replace if Yan Yixuan truly paid them well.

One of them couldn’t help but wish aloud, “If we had an employer who was that generous, I wouldn’t mind even if he was as nutty as our last one.”

Another nodded. “If you want to buy my loyalty, that’s the way.”

Someone sighed, “How nice would it be if we could go back to being guards again with a fixed salary? If we could get our jobs back and return to the empire…”

The bandits looked wistful.

Yan Yixuan studied them thoughtfully. Swallowing the food in his mouth, he turned to Li Yang and spoke, “Leader Li, if your men don’t mind accepting some training and passing some strict assessments first, then I wouldn’t mind hiring you to guard my residence.”

Everyone turned to look at him, some hopeful while most were disbelieving, not yet convinced that he even had that much power.

Yan Yixuan had become inured to their doubts and didn’t mind it. He just calmly waited for Li Yang’s answer.

Li Yang looked at him as if not knowing whether he could trust his offer. After a few moments, he finally said, “Give me some time and I’ll give you a definitive answer.”

Yan Yixuan nodded, having expected this, and went back to eating. The bandits however looked at their leader with confusion.

Li Yang smiled at them. “Don’t worry, I will consider it carefully. It doesn’t hurt to explore a few new options every now and then.”

No matter their own worries, the bandits trusted their leader, so they nodded and slowly resumed eating.

That conversation had taken place almost a week ago, and Li Yang hadn’t spoken about Yan Yixuan’s suggestion till now. The young man also seemed relatively unconcerned about it.

After that day, Yan Yixuan was unanimously nominated for the role of the cook, though Li Yang only allowed him to make lunch for fear that it would tire him out. Having something delicious to look forward to each day added liveliness to the bandits’ expressions and a bounce to their step. They also treated Yan Yixuan with more respect, often asking his help in hunting or fishing if they didn’t have enough meat.

Thinking about all of that while snuggled under layers of blankets, Yan Yixuan’s mind slowly eased into sleep. And unlike that first night where he had to clutch his hair stick vigilantly, his increased trust in the bandits meant that his night was peaceful and undisturbed.

Due to how much he’d pushed himself the previous day, Yan Yixuan slept deeply until morning. When Li Yang came to wake him up, it was already later than usual.

“Oi, brat! We’re going to set off soon, so get up!” he called, shaking the young man by the shoulder.

Yan Yixuan felt that his whole body was heavy. Clutching his blankets tighter, he spoke sleepily without opening his eyes, “How much extra will I have to pay you so that you’ll carry me the rest of the way in a litter or something?”

Li Yang laughed. “Not enough.” Patting the young man’s arm, he coaxed, “We need to start soon if we don’t want to fall back in schedule. You do want to get home soon, don’t you?”

Yan Yixuan stirred with a groan. He really didn’t want to move.

“Also,” Li Yang went on, “the regular exercise will help you build muscle, so you shouldn’t skip it.”

Yan Yixuan instantly snapped his eyes open and sat upright. He wavered a bit due to his heavy sleepiness, but still managed to wake up. If there was one thing that could convince him to do this despite his drowsiness, it was improving his physique!

Reading the suppressed anticipation in the young man’s eyes, Li Yang chuckled indulgently.

Yan Yixuan ran his fingers through his hair to straighten it out and hid a grimace at the slight greasiness. It would be nice if they could pass another stream and freshen up.

Seeing that the young man had truly awoken, Li Yang was just about to leave when there was a commotion.

One of the bandits from the group usually sent to check their route in advance to make sure it was clear had returned earlier than usual. Spotting Li Yang, he hurried over. Then realizing that Yan Yixuan was also here, the bandit looked at him ruefully. He asked, “Brat, since we escorted you till here, you will definitely pay us for it, won’t you?”

Yan Yixuan looked at him with puzzlement while Li Yang frowned and asked, “What do you mean?”

The bandit answered, “Leader, when we were checking the path ahead, we found a group of people from the palace looking around. They seem to be searching for traces of people, or rather, a person. They might be looking for him.” The bandit tilted his chin at the young man.

Yan Yixuan’s pupils shrank in shock. With sinking suspicion, he asked, “Do you have a way of identifying them?”

The bandit nodded. “They all wore celadon clothing with red edges. Why? Do you know who sent them?”

Yan Yixuan nodded, his expression taut. The last time he saw a group of people with robes of that color, they were standing behind First Prince Tai Long as his guards. Yan Yixuan thought back to what that damned first prince had said, The next time I get a chance, I will not let you get away this easily, Duke.

The young man pressed his lips together and noted, “They must be a search team sent to find me. We should avoid them if possible.”

Li Yang was confused. Wouldn’t someone usually go towards the people trying to find them after they got lost? But sensing the graveness in the young man’s words, he nodded. “I understand. We’ll have to adjust our route a bit then.”

Li Yang called over a couple of others, and together with the man who just returned, they plotted a new path for today that would help them avoid the search party.

Meanwhile, back in the Yan household, Yan Yiwen received a visitor from the empress’s opposing faction.

24