Extra 4: Choices [Part 4]
279 12 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As evening began darkening to night, a certain black cat was still busy wandering outside. Since Tai Long had refused the splendid rat it had caught for him, Xiao-Ji was now out searching for something that Tai Long would eat without fussing.

Currently, Xiao-Ji was sniffing about at a street full of food stalls and eyeing the chicken leg held laxly in someone’s hand. Just when it was considering pouncing on it, a sudden whiff of a familiar scent swept past its nose. Xiao-Ji stilled, then smoothly turned to hunt that scent and caught a trail. Unlike with its lack of success in locating Lin Changyuan, all these days, this scent trail still felt fresh.

Slinking forward on silent paws, the sleek black cat silently blended with the shadows and traced the scent, trying to find the person it belonged to.

At the end of the street full of stalls rose a high-end restaurant with a simple structure and subdued atmosphere. This establishment had grown abruptly in renown this past year, to the point where it couldn’t accommodate most of the crowd that flocked to vie for a seat within. It was to capitalize on this that food stalls had accrued on the street in front of it, seeking to feed the hungry people who were turned away by the restaurant.

Despite renovating months ago, the restaurant remained fully booked no matter the time of the day―except for a select few clientele. People who served in the recent war or their family would always get first priority. The Jian household that ran the restaurant had a son who enlisted in the army and returned after his service, thus making them more sympathetic towards those who contributed to the military. Also, the restaurant’s current success was owed to how Jian Lan’s fellow soldiers, including the Great General, brought their family over regularly to eat and spread word to others.

After Yan Yixuan befriended Jian Lan, Ning Wei’s retired deputy and one of his lieutenants, he naturally sent the business of many a courtier his way, causing the restaurant’s status and popularity to rise drastically. Not only were the empress’s faction familiar faces in the restaurant, other courtiers had curiously followed their lead to visit as well. They had then ended up staying due to the delicious food and unpretentious yet considerate service.

Needless to say, Ning Wei and Yan Yixuan became some of the most enthusiastically welcomed customers in the establishment.

To formally celebrate his twenty-first birthday, Yan Yixuan had invited various people to a birthday banquet held at the Yan residence. But even after the exhausting event was over, he had to continue to entertain the ones who stayed behind in the guise of discussing various things while trying to sound him out about recent court matters.

Once the household was finally free of all pests… ehem, he meant guests, Yan Yixuan breathed a sigh of relief. The young duke had become sick of socializing and looked forward to spending time unwinding together with his husband. He had also grown tired of eating the non-tasty healthy food at home by now. So, as soon as he regained his freedom, he dragged Ning Wei over to enjoy some time alone at Jian Lan’s restaurant and bask in the peace and quiet. Here, not only did the couple have a parlor kept reserved for them, the chairs on either side of the table had also been replaced with padded couches so the pair of husbands could comfortably cuddle as they ate.

Currently, the table before the couple held empty plates and bowls, with a leaf wrapped package sitting at the side for them to snack on their way back home. A screen of bamboo slats lowered over the window hid them from the view of the people milling in the courtyard below.

Yan Yixuan rested his head on Ning Wei’s shoulder and absently traced the lines on his beloved’s palm. Ning Wei was leaning back with his eyes closed, expression relaxed as his attention followed Yan Yixuan’s wandering fingertip.

“At least now that our home is ours again, we don’t have to hold back at night,” Ning Wei murmured softly.

Yan Yixuan’s finger paused as he smiled. “Yes, I can finally eat up my husband. It was such a nuisance to hold ourselves back these past few days. I wish I could get away with spending my birthday like we did yours.”

“Eating and drinking into the night, then filling your household with chicken and turning all water bitter?” Ning Wei asked. Mirth danced in his eyes as he peered at the young man.

Yan Yixuan chuckled and nodded. “Isn’t it much more fun that way?”

Ning Wei said wryly, “I doubt Steward Ruan found it as fun to clean everything up afterwards.”

The young man couldn’t help but laugh as he recalled how helpless his Brother Ruan had looked when faced with the aftermath that night.

On Ning Wei’s birthday, Qiu Qingyue had unceremoniously barged into the Yan household with the rest of her fellow lieutenants, Ke Jing and Jian Lan, in tow, then boisterously demanded food and drink to celebrate Ning Wei turning twenty-seven. Since Yan Yixuan’s health didn’t permit him to drink alcohol, he had watched entertained as the others grew more and more drunk and got up to all sorts of shenanigans.

Qiu Qingyue was the one who held out the most, but even she succumbed to drunkenness by the time the moon was high in the sky. She tearfully declared to Ning Wei on bended knee that he would be the only commander she’d ever acknowledge, and that as long as he agreed to continue sparring with her, she’d even pluck the moon from the sky for him.

Since Ning Wei was half passed out from drink, Yan Yixuan had taken the chance to ask Qiu Qingyue to prove it lest she be called a liar for making false promises. Puffing up in outrage, Qiu Qingyue had promptly climbed onto the roof and began leaping all over with hands extended towards the moon to catch it. All her stomping around ended up with her breaking through a weak spot on the roof and getting stuck up to her waist.

Meanwhile, Ke Jing, who apparently tended to develop a headache when he imbibed alcohol, clutched his head and pretended to be dead in a corner. Vague and ominous mutterings drifted from him, talking of how alcohol was the deadliest poison, and that he would soon make his fellow lieutenants who forced him to drink know how it felt to be inflicted with such pain.

Jian Lan, the most sensible of them when sober, ended up being the most troublesome of them all when drunk.

After thoroughly getting intoxicated, Jian Lan went to visit the outhouse and passed by the kitchen on his way back. When he saw the live chicken kept in coops to be killed later, he managed to fill himself up with righteous anger. Jian Lan snuck in and freed all the chicken, then yelled at them for tasting like his most hated food, that is, meat. Startled by his shouting, the chicken fluttered every which way.

A grand battle between the human and chicken population of the Yan household thus ensued, filled with indignant squawking, flying feathers, and lots of beak and claw related injuries.

As chaos abounded, Ke Jing snuck up to a very amused Yan Yixuan and solemnly said that he wanted to poison his comrades with something that would make them regret making him drink until he had a headache. Facing his unfocused gaze and unsteady posture, Yan Yixuan hid a smile and seriously agreed. Handing over his waterskin full of the bitter herbal concoction, he convinced Ke Jing with one sip that it was some vile and poisonous thing.

Ke Jing thus happily went about scattering drops of the concoction into every cup and jug of water he found in the household, turning it all very noticeably bitter.

Having taken the precaution to hide some clean water for himself, Yan Yixuan merrily enjoyed the others’ twisted expressions when the taste of water they expected turned to bitterness in their mouth that left a strange and unpleasant aftertaste.

After he was done enjoying the mayhem, Yan Yixuan carried his drunken husband to their room with the help of a servant. He then proceeded to curl up against Ning Wei and sleep peacefully, ignoring the errant screeching of both humans and chicken outside.

Reminiscing about it all, Yan Yixuan sighed wistfully. Ah, that’s how birthday celebrations should be!

Ning Wei looked at his little fox who had been the biggest contributor to the incidents that day and shook his head with exasperated affection. Then glancing out through the slits in the bamboo screen and to the darkened sky outside, the general suggested, “We should return home before the night grows any later.”

Yan Yixuan sighed, unwilling to leave the quiet warmth of this little parlor, but nodded. He peered out the bamboo screen as well and looked at the people below with envy.

Suddenly, Yan Yixuan’s gaze met a pair of feline eyes.

Blinking, Yan Yixuan focused on the cat and frowned. It was rare to see animals wandering this section of the capital. But more than that… did he recognize that cat?

“What’s wrong?” Ning Wei asked.

Yan Yixuan turned to him and beckoned. “Ah-Wei, come here and tell me if you ever saw that cat before. I feel like it knows me.”

Ning Wei looked at him strangely. “A…cat?”

The young man nodded.

Shrugging, Ning Wei shifted over and seriously searched the crowd below, but couldn’t find any animals. “It seems to have left already.”

Yan Yixuan pressed his lips together in disappointment. “Oh… And here I was think it reminded me of that cute little black cat at Sui’s palace.”

“Maybe we’ll see it again on our way out,” Ning Wei suggested.

Yan Yixuan perked up again and was no longer reluctant to return home.

With their leaf wrapped package of food in hand, the couple exited the restaurant and headed towards the carriage. On the way, Yan Yixuan kept an eye out for golden eyes staring at him. When he really found it, he almost stumbled in disbelief.

“Ah-Wei, look! That cat’s there!” he called out.

Ning Wei looked at where Yan Yixuan was pointing and saw a black cat perched atop a wall, staring at them intently.

Yan Yixuan smiled and took a careful step towards the cat. “He really looks like Xiao-Ji.”

Recognizing its name and the young man saying it, the cat leapt down and came up to rub against Yan Yixuan’s legs while meowing.

Yan Yixuan was startled. He doubted a stray cat would act so familiar and affectionate with a stranger. This unguarded manner was too similar to that prince’s cat!

Crouching down, Yan Yixuan held out a hesitant hand and called incredulously, “Xiao-Ji?”

The cat meowed and butted the top of its head against his palm. When Yan Yixuan scratched at a particular place behind its ear, it purred contentedly.

Yan Yixuan looked up at Ning Wei with stupefaction. “Ah-Ning, this is really that cat from Sui! How did it get here?!”

Ning Wei crouched beside him and studied the cat curiously.

The cat gave him a friendly meow.

Ning Wei smiled and guessed, “Maybe it followed that prince over. You did say he treated it well. Dedicated and loyal pets tend to try and find their way back to their owners when separated. Maybe it followed that prince’s scent, or maybe it marked the carriage he took with its scent and followed that. Who knows?”

Yan Yixuan looked at the cat with wonder and gave it more head rubs. That obnoxious prince really didn’t deserve such a pure-hearted cat!

Xiao-Ji sniffed the air, scenting food, and stared intently at the leaf parcel in Ning Wei’s hand.

Yan Yixuan noticed it and took it from his husband, then offered it to the cat with a smile. “Hungry? Does this smell appealing to you? Shall I open it and let you have your pickings?”

Xiao-Ji thought it was being given the entire package and happily bit the string wrapped around the bundle and meowed around it.

Yan Yixuan chuckled. “My, how greedy. Fine, take the whole thing then.”

Rubbing against Yan Yixuan gratefully, the cat loped away with the package swinging from its mouth.

“Why would it choose to not eat it here itself? Does it have kittens to feed?” Ning Wei asked, puzzled.

Yan Yixuan laughed. “It’s a male, so probably not. I guess it might be planning to give it to that prince. Brother-in-law did tell me that he hasn’t been eating properly and has been losing weight ever since he started working at the smithy.”

Ning Wei frowned. “Are you okay with letting that prince benefit from your food?”

The young man shrugged. “Why wouldn’t I be? I don’t particularly care about the prince, but as long as the cat is happy, I’m alright with it.”

With the matter of the cat concluded, the pair of husbands continued on their way back to the carriage and settled in, then set off home.

In the carriage, Ning Wei spoke, “Wait, I just remember you saying that you treated the cat well while in Sui’s palace because it reminded you of me. In what way are we even remotely similar?”

Yan Yixuan smiled and patted his cheek. “You’re both so good-tempered, sweet, and adorable. How could it not remind me of you?”

Ning Wei, “……” Was this the so called filter of love?

While Ning Wei was busy trying to not blush, the little cat said to be similar to him was on its way back to the blacksmithing compound. After spending the night being chased by other animals due to the enticing smell the package exuded and ending up taking plenty of detours to throw off the would-be-thieves, Xiao-Ji finally reached the dorm hall at morning.

The cat hid outside the hall and waited for the others to go to work while carefully guarding the package. It finally headed in when the coast was clear.

The mixture of his sickness and exertion yesterday left Tai Long exhausted enough to sleep until late morning. When he woke up, his stomach was once again grumbling its disapproval at him. Tai Long rubbed his face and sighed, wondering if he could really stomach more of that slop from the dorm’s kitchens. But when he thought of how terrible being sick and hungry had felt yesterday, he had no choice but to drag himself up from the pallet and prepare to head out for breakfast.

It was then that he spotted a leaf-wrapped package carefully set by his bed while Xiao-Ji stood vigil beside it.

Xiao-Ji was dusty with signs of having escaped many a fight, and the package displayed proudly beside it was wrapped with torn and stained strings. One of the package's corners looked to have been dragged over a dirt road for a bit.

Seeing that Tai Long had turned his attention to its side, the cat gently pushed the package towards him with a paw and meowed.

Tai Long blinked. “Xiao-Ji, did you get that for me?”

He sat back down on the pallet and opened the leaf wrapping curiously. The food inside consisted of an assortment of snacks that smelled amazing, and they would have looked good as well if they weren’t mostly crushed. But they were still edible and a veritable treasure to the Tai Long who hadn’t had such good food for a long time.

Tai Long first fed Xiao-Ji all the bits of beef and chicken in the food alongside some glutinous rice, then polished off the rest at the speed of light while maintaining as much dignity as he could. Feeling a soul-deep satisfaction at eating proper food for the first time, Tai Long lay back on the bed and luxuriated at the feeling of a full stomach.

Xiao-Ji sat beside him on its haunches and licked its paws and chops as if to clean up all traces of the delicious food.

Tai Long smiled at it and stroked its back. “Thank you for getting me food, Xiao-Ji. Though I don’t know which rich household you stole it from, I’m sure whoever can afford to eat such food won’t miss it.”

Xiao-Ji sensed his approval and meowed happily. It had finally managed to feed the picky Tai Long!

With belly full and spirits raised, Tai Long laid on the bed and pondered what to do. He felt much better than he had yesterday and should be able to work again. But knowing that the people who hurt him would also be at work at the smithies, he couldn’t bear to take one step in that direction.

Realizing that he had nothing much to do and no one to talk to, Tai Long sighed. He felt like a puff of cotton drifting aimlessly in the wind. He had rarely had the chance to be so leisurely in the palace before, but he managed to find so much free time after becoming a civilian, though most of it was borrowed from working hours. He realized that he enjoyed spending time doing nothing every now and then, though he’d probably go mad if he didn’t have something to occupy him the rest of the time.

Pondering as he stroked Xiao-Ji absentmindedly, Tai Long drifted off again.

In the afternoon, he was shaken awake by one of Lin Changyuan’s apprentices. “Apprentice Tai, wake up! Master is back and wants to see you.”

Tai Long got up groggily and rubbed his eyes. Beside him, Xiao-Ji was stretching itself, having just woken up too.

Then the apprentice’s words sank in and Tai Long jolted awake the rest of the way. “What? He’s back?!”

The apprentice startled, then nodded. “He’s by the well where you usually hang out with your cat. After realizing you weren’t there, Master asked me to find you.”

Tai Long sprung up and quickly strode towards the well. Xiao-Ji quietly kept pace with him.

When Tai Long spotted Lin Changyuan and stopped, he realized he was panting.

The older man turned to him and teased, “Did you run all the way here? I didn’t realize you were that eager to see me.”

Tai Long scoffed and made up an excuse. “Xiao-Ji was the one who ran all the way here after scenting you nearby. I was only trying to match his stride.”

Lin Changyuan didn’t suspect anything and accepted the explanation. His gaze briefly skimmed over the bruises on the young man’s face, but he didn’t say anything for now.

Tai Long tried to hide the guilt he felt for blaming his cat. But when he glanced at it, he found that Xiao-Ji had padded over to bite at the hem of Lin Changyuan’s robe and paw at his boots. The cat meowed, sounding as if it was chiding the older man for being away so long.

Tai Long’s guilty gaze turned to a wronged one. Was his position in Xiao-Ji’s heart being threatened by this surnamed Lin as soon as he returned?!

Lin Changyuan smiled and bent to pat the cat. “It seems it really did miss me. How adorable.”

Tai Long folded his arms and harrumphed. So what if his cat showed a bit of affection towards others every now and then? His Xiao-Ji still loved him the most!

Tai Long thus reassured himself that his position as the main wife―ehem, as Xiao-Ji’s most favored person was stable.

The two men were, of course, completely oblivious that all of Xiao-Ji’s interaction with Lin Changyuan currently was to scold him for being difficult to find all these days when Tai Long suffered through injuries and sickness alone.

“Usually when someone returns from a vacation, people ask how it went,” Lin Changyuan informed Tai Long cheerfully.

Tai Long looked away. “Why should I care?” This surnamed Lin’s vacation had only ended up bringing him trouble. He’d rather not hear about it at all!

Lin Changyuan looked back at the cat and crooned, “But you care about me, don’t you, Xiao-Ji? Let me tell you then. Brother Yan really treats his family well. We stayed at my wife’s former courtyard, where the rooms are large with plants waving at us from the windows. It always smells refreshingly like flowers and moist potting soil. My daughter loves rolling around on my wife’s bed ever since it was replaced with a bigger one to accommodate me. The sheets, pillows, and mattress are so soft that it’s like sinking into clouds. From the time Brother Yan heard that I get cold easily, I’ve even been provided with foot warmers to put under the covers each night I spend there. It was so warm and cozy even when it rained a couple of days ago. I don’t even need to mention the abundant delicious meals at the banquet, do I? Chicken connoisseur that you are, you’d definitely have loved how fresh and flavorful the meat dishes were.”

Xiao-Ji twitched its whiskers at the mention of chicken and Lin Changyuan chuckled, clearly in a good mood, and went on, “I was worried we wouldn’t know any of the other guests at the banquet and that they’d look down on me for not being nobility. But we had my daughter’s tutor, Master Jin, and Brother Ning’s father, the previous general, to accompany us. Brother Ning even introduced his lieutenants to me and we had an interesting chat. We all sat together relaxedly and had a good time after all the other guests left. We only departed once we made sure there were no other tricky guests from the court remaining to trouble Brother Yan. All in all, it was very fun, Xiao-Ji. Thank you for asking.”

Li Changyuan was obviously happy at how he spent his time off. But with every word he spoke, Tai Long’s mood sank lower.

Forget large rooms that smelled like flowers, Tai Long would accept even a small one as long as it was clean and didn’t stink of unwashed men. He didn’t even have a quilt to cover himself with, much less a bed as soft as clouds. Instead, he had to squeeze into a communal pallet with a multitude of other men, all of whom snored or smelled terrible.

While Lin Changyuan was enjoying his vacation with a loving family in luxury, Tai Long was suffering a beating and was maliciously branded with hot irons. While Lin Changyuan was snuggled in a comfortably warm bed with his wife and a bellyful of delicious food as it rained outside, Tai Long had been lying wet and shivering on a bare wooden shelf with his cat for company. While Lin Changyuan was happily chatting with friends, Tai Long was languishing in bitter loneliness.

Tai Long wrapped his arms around himself and looked away. As much as he hadn’t wanted to blame Lin Changyuan for his misfortune, he couldn’t help but feel a surge of accusation and aggrievance towards him.

Xiao-Ji twitched its ears and turned to look at Tai Long. It slipped away from Lin Changyuan’s petting and went to rub against the young man’s legs in comfort. Tai Long felt a bit better.

Lin Changyuan straightened and neatened his clothing, then said, “Well, now that I’m done reminiscing about my vacation, it’s time to talk about work. Apprentice Tai, on my way here, I met the substitute overseer I arranged for you and he had quite a lot of accusations to make.”

Tai Long stiffened. “What accusations?”

Lin Changyuan sighed. “I’ve been told that you disregarded your work and hid out here ever since I left. You only attend to your tasks if others drag you out and coerce you. Yesterday, you even left the compound without permission from your overseer. I was also informed that you visited the medic after you returned and were sporting injuries as if from a fight. You were also able to pay the medic a hundred copper coins casually after your return, though you aren’t supposed to have any money to your name. Would you mind giving me an explanation?”

Considering how this young man lashed out each time he sensed the slightest hint of worry or sympathy from him, Lin Changyuan kept his face carefully neutral now. Though he didn’t doubt that this former prince could be troublesome, after seeing how wan Tai Long had grown in these few days and the dark bruises littering his skin, Lin Changyuan wanted to give him a chance to clarify any misunderstandings and defend his actions. If there was something truly wrong that had necessitated all this, he would try to help the young man as much as he could.

But to Tai Long, it seemed as if the older man was accusing him and was now waiting for him to confess to his misdeeds. Did Lin Changyuan suspect that he snuck out with the intention of escaping, stole money, got into a brawl, and only returned because he needed a medic to fix him?

The part of Tai Long’s heart that was still sore from his horrible ordeal that day was stabbed again and again by what he perceived as Lin Changyuan’s doubts. When he remembered with crisp clarity the true reasons behind each of the suspicious actions Lin Changyuan listed, Tai Long only felt more discontented.

If Lin Changyuan hadn’t gone away and left that unlikable substitute behind, and if that substitute had actually stuck around and helped him when he was being ganged up on, wouldn’t all of it have been prevented? Why did the substitute not look out for him? Was it because Lin Changyuan told him not to bother? Or was it because the substitute sensed something from Lin Changyuan’s attitude towards him and surmised that it wasn’t necessary to care about him?

Though he had tried his best to not hope for Lin Changyuan’s regard, Tai Long still felt let down and…hurt.

His hands clenched into fists. He was angry at himself for his weakness and at Lin Changyuan for making him feel such a thing!

Glaring at the older man, Tai Long bit out venomously, “All of it is your fault for being gone and causing trouble for me. What a pathetic excuse for an overseer you’ve turned out to be.”

The careful patience Lin Changyuan tried to maintain wore away. But rather than fury, what colored his eyes was deep disappointment and weariness. He let out a heavy sigh and rubbed his forehead. No matter how much he tried to be understanding, it seemed that some things would never change. Was there even any point in continuing to try so persistently?

Lin Changyuan met Tai Long’s gaze. “I see. Since you really do appear to dislike me, I will arrange for someone else to take over my duties.”

Tai Long froze. Wait…what? How did he come to this conclusion? Just a few words and he was already prepared to leave him?!

The young man’s shoulders slumped as all ire left him in a rush. His voice was barely a whisper as he asked, “You… why?” What do you hate about me so much that you can’t bear to stay?!

Lin Changyuan sighed again. “First you think I’m a terrible overseer and then you’re surprised I’m choosing to quit? You’re sending some very mixed signals here.” He shook his head. “Forget it. I’m tired of dealing with this. I have tried to be considerate, I’ve tried to wait for you to open up to me so we can get closer, and I’ve tried to offer my help where I can. But none of it seems to be doing any good, so it’s time I stop trying. Since you have expressed time and again that you dislike me and my attempts at help, I will step away and assign someone else who you may appreciate better. Goodbye.”

Tai Long stared at him blankly as realization struck him. That’s right; Lin Changyuan was always showing his goodwill and expressing his intent to help. So, it wasn’t that Lin Changyuan wouldn’t stay with him… In truth, Lin Changyuan had already reached out his hand, but it was Tai Long who kept refusing to meet him halfway. He was so used to holding onto his pride and making others do all the work that it never occurred to him that he himself had to make an effort to form a relationship.

But this realization came too late. Lin Changyuan was already turning away to leave, his lips pressed together and unmistakable dejection in his eyes.

Tai Long felt despondent. This was his fault. He was given the chance but he messed up. He had been messing up from the beginning. His hands clenched harder as he watched the older man walk away from him, taking one step after another. He wanted to reach out, but felt instinctively ashamed at the thought of openly exhibiting such vulnerability and emotions.

Xiao-Ji sensed his inner turmoil and rubbed against his legs again, displaying its care for all to see. Unlike him, it had no qualms in showing what it felt without reservations.

Tai Long looked at his cat, thoughts spinning. His back was stiff and straight with the last vestiges of pride and dignity he’d managed to keep till now. But what use was it? What was he supporting by keeping such an unbending back? He no longer had anything left worth staying upright for.

He slowly bent to take the cat into his arms and held it tightly. His words seemed wrenched out through a tight throat, “I…I’m sorry.”

Lin Changyuan stopped and blinked. He looked back incredulously as if to confirm he’d really heard what he thought he heard.

Tai Long was crouched on the ground, hugging his cat with his face buried in its fur. There was something almost fragile in the line of his back and shoulders.

The young man spoke again, “I’m sorry, alright? I-I don’t really want you to leave. So please…stay.”

Lin Changyuan’s eyes widened. For a moment, he was rendered completely speechless. But the longer the silence stretched, the tauter the young man’s back grew.

Lin Changyuan let out a soft breath and walked to stand before Tai Long again. He gently touched the top of the younger man’s bowed head and said, “I understand. I’ll stay.”

Tai Long froze in disbelief, but he didn’t dare lift his face from the shelter of his cat’s fur. Wetness welled in his eyes and it wouldn’t go away no matter how much he blinked. His barriers had withstood battering from countless blows till now. They had stood strong in the face of both physical and emotional distress. But one tender poke from Lin Changyuan and they crumbled without resistance. Tai Long didn’t know what to do.

Lin Changyuan saw the tears dripping down from the young man’s chin and felt distressed. He patted his back and comforted, “There, there. What’s wrong?”

Tai Long wordlessly shook his head.

“Now, don’t give me that. I’ve only been gone for a few days, yet you’ve lost so much weight in that time and come to me with bruises on your face. All that spitfire anger you shoot around seems to have lessened by quite a lot, not to mention everything the substitute overseer informed me about. Just what happened when I wasn’t here?” This time, Lin Changyuan didn’t bother to hide his worry.

Tai Long’s defenses were the weakest they ever were. Finally finding someone to talk to, he spilled everything.

When the young man stated he didn’t want to behave too well under the supervision of the substitute in the fear that it might cause the substitute to replace Lin Changyuan, the older man felt flattered and amused. So this was the reason this young man had been avoiding work? When Tai Long proceeded to briefly describe how the others took Lin Changyuan’s absence as a chance to order him around, the older man felt like sighing in sympathy.

After that, Tai Long finally got to explaining about how the four apprentices ganged up on him to first beat him, then try to feed him horse dung, followed by his failed escape attempt that led to him being pinned down and branded with the hot rod. He mentioned how the medic wouldn’t treat him and he stayed at the storage shed since being alone felt safer. He explained how he developed a fever due to getting drenched in the rain and slept for a whole day before realizing he needed medicine. He spoke of how he sold Xiao-Ji’s gold token to obtain the money needed to pay the medic’s exorbitant fees.

Tai Long’s voice was flat and emotionless, his face buried in Xiao-Ji’s fur the entire time. His narration didn’t hold an ounce of self-pity. If anything, he seemed to want to draw as less attention as possible to his suffering so as to avoid being pitied. But it somehow only accentuated the horror and lonely hopelessness of everything he went through.

By the time Tai Long was done, his eyes were already dry. He tentatively lifted his head to look at Lin Changyuan. He didn’t yet believe that the older man would truly be on his side.

Lin Changyuan’s expression was scarily icy, his gaze sharp enough to skewer straight through anyone who met it.

Tai Long stifled the cowardly impulse to dive right back into his cat’s fur so he wouldn’t have to face the older man’s anger.

But to his surprise, Lin Changyuan didn’t direct his fury onto him. He instead said in an eerily calm voice, “Some things are just not done. Come and point out the apprentices who hurt you. I’ll take care of it.”

Tai Long blinked confusedly, but didn’t dare defy him now.

They marched silently towards where the four apprentices’ master was currently working. Their master was the same senior weaponsmith whose assignment to deliver weapons Tai Long had failed so spectacularly. It was because of the fallout of that incident that the four apprentices had grown angry at Tai Long and came to seek revenge on him.

As they made their way to the senior weaponsmith now, Tai Long had to struggle to keep up with Lin Changyuan’s furious stride.

When they approached the senior weaponsmith’s smithy, he was in the midst of instructing his apprentices. “See this discoloration here? This is what happens when you get sloppy and heat it unevenly. The demarcation here is where the metal will snap after a bit of use. Remember to always keep an eye on the time you put each section over the fire. And don’t wait until time’s up to remove it. Get it out a bit sooner so the heat it retains out of the fire will finish the rest of the job. And when you submerge it into the cooling trough―”

“Pardon us for interrupting your lesson. I have an important matter to discuss,” Lin Changyuan spoke.

The senior weaponsmith turned to greet him. “Master Lin, you’re back.” He glanced at Tai Long and his expression cooled when he recalled how this young man bungled up the simple task he sent him on and his blatant disrespect afterward.

In the meanwhile, Tai Long was struggling to not avert his eyes or flinch back when he saw his tormentors among the crowd of apprentices standing beside the senior weaponsmith. He would not act like a pitiful little victim, damn it!

“May I ask what brings you here?” the senior weaponsmith prodded after he wiped his ash stained hands and got up.

Lin Changyuan pressed his lips into a thin, grim line. “It seems that some of your apprentices have misbehaved towards my newest apprentice. I want to ask if you are aware of it.”

The senior weaponsmith frowned and turned to look at the gaggle of people surrounding him. “No, I’m not aware. Please enlighten me so I may discipline them appropriately.”

Lin Changyuan’s suppressed anger shone through his eyes. “I’m afraid I will not be satisfied with that. This is a matter that should be taken to the judiciary office.”

The senior weaponsmith stiffened and raised his hands hurriedly in a placating gesture. “Please, calm down, Master Lin. I don’t know what the issue is, but I doubt it’s serious enough to be taken that far.”

“Not serious enough?” Lin Changyuan seemed to grow larger in his rage. “How could a group of apprentices torturing my apprentice badly enough to scar him permanently not be serious enough?! No justification will be enough to excuse them!”

The senior weaponsmith gaped at him. “What? Torture?!”

Lin Changyuan turned to Tai Long. “Point out the bastards for me.”

Tai Long was too stupefied by the direction this was going in. He had to take a few moments to realize what was asked of him and pointed to the four men who had hurt him. The apprentices around the four stepped away, looking at them strangely.

The master weaponsmith opened and closed his mouth, appearing unwilling, but sighed and waved at them to come forward. “Take them then, Master Lin. I hope you will be a bit lenient towards them.”

“I will be as lenient with them as they were with my apprentice,” Lin Changyuan replied frigidly.

The senior weaponsmith couldn’t really say anything to that.

The events after that went by in a daze for Tai Long.

Lin Changyuan first led them all to the medical hall and convinced the medic to come along to the judiciary office to give testimony of Tai Long’s injuries, since he was the one who had treated them. When the four apprentices tried to make a fuss about being dragged to the authorities, Lin Changyuan gave them a thorough verbal lambasting and cowed them into compliance.

On their way out of the compound, they came across the substitute overseer, which incited another round of scolding from Lin Changyuan. The substitute was paid to stay with Tai Long and keep a close eye on him. What had he been doing disregarding his charge and continuing his work at the smithies?

The substitute was forced to admit that he wanted to earn extra money and had chosen to stealthily continue working at the side. He didn’t think a grown adult like Tai Long would need to be watched that closely.

Needless to say, the furious Lin Changyuan made sure to get back every coin he’d paid the substitute. After all, the man hadn’t even done the work he had been paid to do.

The group then proceeded to the judiciary office without further incident.

Due to Lin Changyuan’s connection to the Yan household, the entire process of convicting the four apprentices for their assault went by with surprising smoothness. But it still took until late evening before Lin Changyuan, Tai Long, and the medic were declared free to go. The medic went his own way, leaving Lin Changyuan and Tai Long to walk back to the compound in each other’s company.

Tai Long was still in a muddle of disbelief and confusion that was slowly turning to hope. Lin Changyuan had actually gotten angry for him. He had stood on his side; he had stood up for him.

The young man hugged his cat tighter as some warm and light emotion fluttered within him. Xiao-Ji had stayed in his arms the entire time, laying its furry little head above his heart and occasionally letting out healing purrs.

Streams of people flowed on all sides as they slowly walked to the capital’s edge, but Tai Long didn’t seem to even notice his surroundings.

Lin Changyuan glanced at the bewildered look that had remained on the young man’s face since before and hid a smile.

In the beginning, he had taken this quick tempered former prince to be the same abusive sort as his three brothers. Though he helped the young man out of a sense of obligation and responsibility, he didn’t fully like him. But Tai Long had never incited a physical fight and ended up being the one bullied terribly instead.

As someone who had been on the receiving end of such abuse, how could Lin Changyuan remain unsympathetic? How could he not do right by this young man in a situation similar to his, when someone else had once done right by him and made his tormentors pay for his sake? That, combined with the raw vulnerability in Tai Long’s voice when he apologized and asked him to stay, had been more than the older man could take.

In the end, Lin Changyuan ended up softening considerably towards this prideful young man. He couldn’t help but want to guide him into becoming a better person, at least by a little.

“Now that this is done,” Lin Changyuan spoke, “there’s one more thing I need you to do.”

Tai Long came out of his daze. “What?”

“You should apologize to those apprentices’ master for how you lost his batch of weaponry back then and insulted him.” He arched a brow at the young man. “You haven’t done that yet, have you?”

Scowling, Tai Long heartily disagreed. “Why should I? I’m already paying for it with my salary!”

“Yes, I know,” Lin Changyuan agreed with a helpless sigh, then went on, “I’m not asking you to apologize for that senior weaponsmith’s sake. I want you to do it for yourself.”

The young man’s irritation turned to puzzlement. “That doesn’t even make sense.”

But Lin Changyuan had endless patience as he stated, “I want to address something. Tell me, why do you always resist being kind to others or refuse taking responsibility for your actions and apologizing honestly?”

Tai Long couldn’t help straightening his spine with affront. “Why should I? I’m a prince who was meant to be king! If not for that damned duke’s trickery, do you think I’d be reduced to a commoner like this, being pushed around, beaten down, and getting my hands and feet dirty alongside you all?!”

Some of the passersby looked at the enthusiastically gesticulating young man strangely, then silently put some distance between them and him.

Lin Changyuan nodded, having expected such an answer. “So, the core issue is that you feel dissatisfied that you are not back in your palace being treated like you’re used to, but instead have to work alongside common people?”

“Yes, and my chance to be a king was stolen from me!” Tai Long declared with righteous indignation, causing more people around them to cautiously inch away from him.

Now that Tai Long was finally complaining to someone who was willing to listen, the hardened lump of anger, betrayal, fear, anxiety, hatred, helplessness, and bitterness in his chest lightened at last.

The older man hummed noncommittally. “So, in your opinion, you would be the happiest if you could return to your previous position as the first prince and were put back in line for the throne?”

The young man nodded without hesitation. “Yes.”

“And to succeed in life, you want to become king?” Lin Changyuan prodded further.

Tai Long’s nodding turned more vehement. “Precisely!”

Lin Changyuan smiled. His voice was incomparably gentle as he asked, “And will that make you happy?”

The young man blinked. “Why wouldn’t it?”

“Tell me this.” Lin Changyuan met his gaze. “What exactly about being the king would be fulfilling to you?”

Tai Long frowned and fired back, “What part of being the highest authority of an entire kingdom, earning the right to command every person within its borders, being revered and fawned over by all within sight, isn’t fulfilling?”

The older man tilted his head with an incisive look. “Is that what happiness is to you?”

Tai Long was beginning to feel frustrated. “Of course it is! That’s what everyone wants! That’s what everyone at the palace keeps fighting so hard for!”

“I wouldn’t say that everyone finds such power appealing. I, for one, would find it nothing but a hollow satisfaction.” Lin Changyuan shrugged. “The life I have now with my wife and daughter is my happiness.

“Having to instead dedicate most of my time to deal with numerous petty matters, bearing the responsibility for so many lives and livelihoods, fielding politics ceaselessly to the point that even personal relationships are built on benefits, constantly minding one’s words and actions, always being under the eyes of others, having to worry about flood, war, famine, drought, diseases… Running a kingdom seems too stressful to me. Being a king sounds like an impressive job, but not a happy one.”

Tai Long rubbed his chin thoughtfully. He finally admitted with difficulty, “I…never considered it from that perspective.”

The older man patted his shoulder. “That’s alright. You had no choice in being born a prince. You had no choice in how you were taught from young that you should aim for the throne. So I want you to take some time for yourself now and think about whether the reason you’ve been propping up your pride and resisting your current life is worth it. Is there truly no way you can find happiness as you are now? Is it not enough to live with your cat, having enough to eat and a roof over your head?”

Tai Long wanted to yell that of course it wasn’t enough. But he found that he couldn’t. If a few basic issues in his current life were fixed—like having a comfortable bed to sleep in and palatable food to eat—he might actually not mind living quietly with his Xiao-Ji here.

This sudden thought horrified him. He wanted to resist this acceptance of his current situation and hold on to his pride that said he deserved only luxuries. But what was the point in resisting it? Would he get to go back to the palace if he maintained his princely demeanor enough?

Tai Long pushed away the conflicting thoughts for now and instead hesitantly looked to the older man walking beside him. “Then…what do you think I should do?” He was unused to asking for advice and felt terribly awkward.

“You don’t have to do much,” Lin Changyuan answered. “I won’t tell you to completely suppress yourself, abandon all pride, and be generous to everyone. Just be good to those who are good to you and don’t lash out at those who don’t mean you harm. Realize that people talking to you casually as if you’re one of them is not a sign of disrespect, but inclusion.

“Now that you don’t have your status as royalty to shield you, think carefully before you run your mouth, own up to your mistakes, and keep people beside you who’ll watch your back for you. Don’t keep pushing everyone away and maybe you’ll even make friends. I don’t know if you can do it but just try, because no matter who it is, there is always a time when they need people to lean on.”

Tai Long remembered that rainy day and how terribly small and alone he had felt without anyone to help him. Lin Changyuan’s words resonated deep in that part of him that was still stuck in that cold storage shed, bruised, shivering, and so terribly lonely.

The young man cleared his throat. “I…I’ve never had to win anyone’s favor except my father’s. How do I…?” As he trailed off, he felt his neck heat with embarrassment and rubbed it self-consciously.

Lin Changyuan smiled and continued his sentence, “Make friends?”

Tai Long shifted uncomfortably, unable to meet his gaze.

The older man chuckled. “For now, try to hold pleasant conversations that don’t devolve into insults and screaming contests.”

Tai Long looked lost. “…Pleasant conversations?”

Taking pity on him, Lin Changyuan tried to come up with something a former prince would be able to do. “Have you ever had to engage in diplomatic talks and such?”

The young man nodded. When he wanted to, he certainly could restrain himself enough to make the other side put down their guard.

“Then think of any future conversations as a means to encourage diplomacy between two nations,” Lin Changyuan suggested. “You are the representative of a nation consisting of just yourself. Your conversation partner is the representative of their own nation. Your objective while talking to them is to engender goodwill, or at least not turn relations between you hostile. You don’t have to try hard to impress them or anything. Just be polite and non-offensive. Can you do that?”

Tai Long considered it and nodded. In a way, it was an accurate comparison. He could work with that.

Lin Changyuan smiled. “Good. Then start from there.”

They lapsed into companionable silence as the young man pondered on their discussion. The bustle and noisy din of their surroundings created a comfortable cocoon of human activity around them. The evening sky had already begun darkening to purple. A few more streets and they’d be back at the weaponsmithing compound.

Tai Long broke the quiet stretching between them. “Today…why did you speak up for me?” He peered sideways at the older man. “Don’t you dislike me?”

Waving a hand in dismissal, Lin Changyuan stated, “Not particularly. And I would have done that even for a stranger. But after you asked me to stay, you aren’t just a stranger anymore, are you?”

The young man pressed his lips together and looked away. Then in a small voice, he expressed with difficulty, “Thank you.”

Lin Changyuan smiled. “You don’t have to thank me for something like this. It was no trouble, really.”

Tai Long was almost moved. Only almost, he convinced himself.

Clearing his throat, the young man said, “If I were still a prince, I would reward you by letting you be the only concubine allowed to stay in my inner courtyard.”

Lin Changyuan stumbled. His bewildered expression drew an insulted look from the younger man.

Lin Changyuan suddenly understood. “…Was that meant to be a compliment?”

Tai Long replied stiffly, “Yes, what else?”

Resuming his stride, the older man rubbed the nape of his neck with a helpless smile. “Then…thank you, I suppose? Though I would have had to decline your reward since I’m very much in love with my wife and not interested in men in that way.”

Directing a disdainful expression at him, Tai Long huffed proudly. “And you think I find you attractive in that way? Even the servant who swept the entrance to my palace is a bigger beauty than you! I only offered you the position of a concubine because I didn’t want to make you a lowly servant or grant you the status of nobility when it might only pose danger to someone as inexperienced and simple as you. On the other hand, as a concubine, you’d not only have a high status and an easy life of luxuries, you’d also be able to stay with me like you promised.”

Lin Changyuan looked at the younger man amusedly. “So, by saying you wanted to reward me with such a position, you meant to say that you appreciate my companionship and wanted to favor me as your friend or brother?”

Tai Long shifted his eyes away and tried to remain stoic. “Maybe.” He turned to glare at the older man. “But don’t think that means much! I’m not that dependant on you! I still have Xiao-Ji!”

Lin Changyuan suppressed his chuckles. “Yes, yes, I wouldn’t dare to think so highly of myself.”

Looking away again, Tai Long muttered, “You better not.”

A few moments later, Lin Changyuan couldn’t contain his impulse to tease him and poked his shoulder. “Xiao-Tai, call me Brother Lin.”

“X-Xiao…?” Tai Long sputtered. “N-No, of course I won’t!”

Lin Changyuan’s eyes curved with the force of his smile. “Oh? You don’t want me to be your big brother?”

Tai Long felt a pang in his chest and glared at the older man and his obnoxiously smug, knowing expression.

Lin Changyuan laughed and patted his shoulder. “Fine, fine, you don’t have to.”

Tai Long harrumphed and strode forward faster while staring intently at his feet. That stupid surnamed Lin sure was getting bolder and bolder! Why would he want to call him brother?! It was absurd! Did he think he was that desperate for an older brother who would stay with him? So what if he was on his side, got angry for him, helped him take care of Xiao-Ji in the beginning, didn’t mind his bad temper, and…

Tai Long’s quick pace subconsciously slowed down. In many ways, Lin Changyuan was indeed like a supportive elder brother. Tai Long chewed on his lower lip contemplatively, then hesitantly tasted the words in a whisper, “Brother Lin…”

“What was that?” Lin Changyuan’s smiling voice asked from right beside him.

Tai Long startled and almost tripped over his own feet. “N-N-Nothing!” he declared almost combatively, his glare seeming flustered.

“Oh? Alright then,” Lin Changyuan said mildly.

The young man heaved a breath in relief.

But the Lin Changyuan who had heard his whisper before couldn’t help but smile with warm indulgence.

The rest of the walk back was spent in harmonious silence.

By the time they reached the compound the work day was already over. Lin Changyuan went to finish a few formalities now that he’d returned from vacation, then went home.

Making his way to the dorm hall, Tai Long made straight for his part of the pallet and sat down, exhausted. Recalling that he hadn’t had the chance to change the bandages over his burns yet today, he casually pulled open his robes and began attending to his injuries. With his superb lack of empathy, Tai Long naturally missed the covert glances being thrown at him and the tense atmosphere in the dorm hall since his arrival.

Eventually, one of the men decided to brave Tai Long’s temper and stepped forward to ask, “Um, Apprentice Tai. We heard today that you were unable to work these past few days due to sickness and injuries. Is that true?”

Tai Long paused in the process of cleaning away the old poultice and peered up at him. “Yes. Where did you learn of it?”

The man gulped. “Someone heard the medic mention it and it’s been spreading around.”

Another man added, “And there are also rumors that your injuries were caused by other apprentices. Did they give you those burns too?”

Tai long pressed his lips together. He was trying to be civil as it was. He refused to put up with the indignity that would go with explaining his sorry circumstances that day! He did not need to be looked at with pity or disdain for his weakness!

Bowing his head and getting back to work on his injuries, he replied brusquely, “Yes, but I don’t want to talk about it. Excuse me, it’s been a tiring day and I’m not up for any more conversation.” This should be diplomatic enough without compromising his dignity, shouldn’t it?

Unfortunately, while Tai Long was convinced that he had handled it with stoic poise, the men who heard him instead felt that he was avoiding talking about his ordeal due to trauma. Look, he hadn’t insulted anyone or acted arrogant even once! How terribly shaken he must be!

Though some of the men still held grudges against Tai Long after being subjected to his prickliness before, most of them felt a little sympathetic towards his plight. After all, they didn’t have any strong reason to dislike him.

The only interactions the men living in this dorm hall had with Tai Long was confined to when they returned from work to spend the night here, and even then they were too tired to converse for long. Most of those who stayed in this dorm hall didn’t work in the same smithy as Tai Long and hadn’t been directly affected by him. Thankfully, none of them were also apprenticed under the senior weaponsmith whose shipment of weapons Tai Long once lost. Thus, they also weren’t among the group of apprentices who had to work long hours to make up for it and thus still held a grudge.

On top of that, from what the men could guess, though all his pompousness pointed to Tai Long being a young master of some household, the fact that he had to work among them for a living now must mean that he was kicked out of his rich house and left to fend for himself. They had never heard him talk of his family or seen them visit. For someone all alone like that to face sickness and such severe bullying without familial care and support was tragic.

Of course, the fact that they had all played with Xiao-Ji and were conquered by its charms was a huge factor as well. Most people in the dorm hall lived away from family and often got lonely. Though many considered having a pet to keep them company, the responsibility and cost that came with it was unmanageable to them. As such, being able to play with an adorable cat that they didn’t even have to pick up after or pay for was a huge treat. It went some way to endear them to the surly Tai Long.

And so, due to these variety of reasons, the people of the dorm hall decided to help the young man to make themselves feel better.

Before Tai Long knew what was happening, someone had brought him warm water to clean his wounds. Someone else offered to wrap his bandages after he was done applying medicine. Another had secured some hot food for him to eat. Yet another had decided to feed, bathe, and care for Xiao-Ji while Tai Long was occupied, much to the others’ envy.

Faced with so much concern and goodwill, the Tai Long who was unused to it felt very…suspicious. But he couldn’t just ask them if the water or food was poisoned or if they were attempting to steal his cat’s affections. He could only accept their help while keeping a wary eye on them. When he was done rewrapping his burn injuries, the others patted their own backs for a job well done and lay down to sleep.

As Tai Long ate the food given to him, he looked at the snoring, stinky men with puzzlement. Had they truly been helping him? But…why?

Realization suddenly struck him. Could it be that they were all so touched by his dignified bearing earlier that they couldn’t help but serve him?

The young man nodded to himself, convinced that was the reason. Lying down, he let his cat sleepily climb onto his chest and curl into a fluffy black lump.

Tai Long rested his palm on Xiao-Ji’s warm back and felt the warm fur rise and fall in time with its breathing. He murmured to the drowsy cat, “Xiao-Ji, I can’t believe I behaved so pathetically needy with that surnamed Lin today. What even got into me?”

Xiao-Ji yawned, its pale fangs glowing in the dim light.

The young man nodded. “Indeed, it was very risky. If I had shown a fraction of that vulnerability with anyone back home, my weakness would have been exploited and I’d have been devoured down to the bones several times over by now.” He paused, then spoke wonderingly, “I can’t believe that surnamed Lin chose to stay because of that… Is this how things work outside the palace?”

Despite its heavy eyelids, the little cat gazed at Tai Long with ardent devotion as if listening supportively.

Tai Long stroked its back and contemplated aloud, “Xiao-Ji, I made sure that all that’s left of my humanity would fit only in your little paws. But perhaps…I should draw some of it out to share with others? Of course, no one will get a bigger share than my Xiao-Ji!”

The cat meowed as if in agreement and groggily kneaded the robe over his chest.

Feeling reluctantly hopeful, the young man smiled at his cat and fell silent, eventually drifting off to sleep.

As morning arrived the next day, everyone in the dorm hall began preparing to set off to work.

To their surprise, the men found that Xiao-Ji was much friendlier in its response when greeted by those who helped Tai Long yesterday night. They immediately understood: those that treated its master well would receive greater affection from the cat! And so, Tai Long was faced with a new stream of offers to help that he had to find various polite ways to decline.

As he set off to work, Tai Long shook his head with a smile. Once his princely charisma was discovered, it seemed everyone in his dorm hall was rushing to make a good impression on him. How come he never knew he had such irresistible charm? Not that he’d count on such an undependable thing to carry him through trouble.

While walking to the weaponsmithing compound, the young man pondered on his discussion with Lin Changyuan yesterday. The older man had asked him to apologize to the senior weaponsmith to more properly take responsibility for his actions before, and to learn a bit of humility, he supposed?

Tai Long wondered if he could get away with pretending to forget it. But thinking of how he’d won Lin Changyuan’s regard just now, he didn’t want to risk testing his tolerance yet.

Well, he could go over and apologize when he had some free time at work.

Nodding to himself, Tai Long walked over to the forge Lin Changyuan would be working at today. Unexpectedly, he found the senior weaponsmith waiting there.

When the senior weaponsmith saw him, he immediately came over and bowed. “Apprentice Tai, I sincerely apologize for my apprentices’ behavior towards you. I did not know that they had done such cruelty to you. I cannot imagine the suffering they must have put you through.”

Tai Long stood frozen as he stared at the older man’s lowered head, not knowing what to do. The people around them had stopped what they were doing to gawk at the sight of a senior weaponsmith bending his back to a new apprentice.

Tai Long cleared his throat as his confused mind came up with an explanation for the senior apprentice's unexpected actions. “I’m afraid the matter with your apprentices has been handed over to the judiciary office. Even if you apologize, there’s nothing I can do to help them now.”

The senior weaponsmith straightened and shook his head. “That’s not what I came to do. My intention was simply to take responsibility for my apprentices’ behavior against you. As their master, this is what I should do.”

Tai Long was taken aback. He really didn’t like the prickling in his almost non-existent conscience that said he was the one who started this mess by losing the weapons delivery and then badmouthing this senior weaponsmith. Yet, unlike how he hemmed and hawed over admitting his wrongs, this weaponsmith apologized with such sincere straightforwardness as soon as he realized he needed to. It made Tai Long feel that his own attempts to save his pride were childish and absurd in comparison to such maturity.

Feeling a bit ashamed, Tai Long inclined his head towards the senior weaponsmith. “I…also have to apologize to you. It was my carelessness that lost you the weapons you and your apprentices worked hard to make. I was also rude to you after failing my task. I’m…sorry.” It was the most difficult thing in the world to force out such humble words and control the pride that usually controlled him. But Tai Long managed to strain against his nature and say what he needed to with grim determination.

Hearing such words escaping the lips of someone who was usually so stubbornly haughty shocked not just the senior weaponsmith, but everyone witnessing the scene.

Recovering from his surprise, the senior weaponsmith patted the young man on the shoulder. “All is forgiven. Let us both learn from this.”

Tai Long looked away uncomfortably and nodded.

After the senior weaponsmith left, Tai Long let out a breath. He was just about to begin work when he realized he was still the center of attention as people watched him with doubtful or reassessing looks.

Tai Long wanted to just ignore them all and start lighting the fire. But he recalled Lin Changyuan’s advice to communicate better with others and hesitated. His heart thumped nervously.

In an attempt to deny his own anxiousness, the young man decisively turned to face the others looking his way and spoke stiffly, “If you all have some time to spare, I’d like to say something.”

The low chatter slowly ceased as more and more attention turned towards him.

Tai Long didn’t allow himself any hesitation as he began, “I ask your pardon for my less that acceptable conduct since I started working here. As someone born in a wealthy family and forced out of it, I wasn’t yet resigned to making my living here in conditions that were less luxurious than I was used to. Now that I’ve had time to adjust to my circumstances, I hope you will continue to offer me your guidance.”

Even Tai Long didn’t know how much of what he said was true and how much was simply an excuse he used to explain his earlier temper and smooth away any offense caused due to it. Either way, to hold pleasant conversations and get along with others as per Lin Changyuan’s instructions, he would first need to make up for any ill-will he gained and turn their opinion of him into something more neutral, at least. Approaching it as if it were diplomatic relations between countries really did help.

For a few moments there was only silence, as if no one knew how to respond to his sudden change of attitude.

When people finally started reacting, their expressions were varied unlike the simple and happy-go-lucky men at the dorm hall. After all, they’d had more chances to interact with Tai Long and had stronger opinions on him.

Some peered at Tai Long with suspicion and speculation. Others looked like they were considering his words. Yet others didn’t seem to care much and went back to their work. Of course, there were also some simpleminded, friendly, or curious people who came over to see just how much the young man had changed.

One of them grinned at Tai Long and joked sardonically, “You’re only saying all this to avoid being beaten up by us next, aren’t you? Admit it~”

Tai Long gave him an unamused glance, but didn’t blow up in anger as expected. He instead retorted, “As if I’d fall for the same thing again. If you want to gang up on me, you’ll have a tough time now that I know to stay ready for it.”

Someone else chuckled. “I saw the scratches on one of the guys who did that. You can just sic your cat again on whoever tries next.”

Tai Long folded his arms and tilted his chin up. “My Xiao-Ji’s claws deserve to remain as untainted as possible. Instead, maybe I should start carrying some metal ‘claws’ of my own to greet anyone willing to try me.”

Someone immediately piped in, “Are you looking for weapons? Which kind can you use?”

The young man blinked. “Most kinds. But I prefer long knives, though I can use swords, spears, and glaives well enough too.”

“As expected of a former young master,” another man chirped. “What other types of blades have you handled till now?”

Yet another inquired, “Where did you have your weapons made? Here or another smithy? Your accent reminds me of how the people at the border between the empire and Sui speak. I hear there are some pretty decent weaponsmiths there.”

“Do you have any weapons left from your time as a rich guy? I want to see their craftsmanship.”

“What type of metal were your weapons made of? Which technique did you use to sharpen and maintain them?”

The atmosphere segued to a more professional one as more people came over to join the discussion on weapons. Though Tai Long tried to be diplomatic and polite with his answers, he couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed. More and more people congregated around him, curious to talk with him now that he didn’t snarl once for every three words and was answering questions patiently. The young man’s expression grew increasingly tensed as he struggled against his natural impulse to either growl at them to give him space or just rudely push his way out of the crowd.

Before he could decide on how to handle this, Lin Changyuan came to the rescue.

“Enough, now. Get back to work, all of you. There’ll be plenty of time to chitchat later,” Lin Changyuan said as he dragged Tai Long out of the enclosure of people.

Tai Long let out a sigh in relief. He looked at Lin Changyuan as the older man dispersed the crowd. It felt good to have someone on his side, helping him when he needed it.

As they went to begin work at their own forge, Lin Changyuan looked at him sideways with a smile. “Getting popular, aren’t we?”

Tai Long pressed his lips together and looked away sullenly. “It’s your fault. I followed your advice from yesterday and look what happened. I almost got smothered to death by your colleagues.”

Lin Changyuan laughed. “My, I didn’t expect our Xiao-Tai to have such charisma.”

The young man huffed. “Shut up.” But he couldn’t deny that he felt a little vainly pleased.

As the fire in the forge crackled and came to life, Tai Long’s attention was drawn to it. He absentmindedly touched the burns on his upper arms through his sleeves.

Noticing it with concern, Lin Changyuan asked, “Do you want me to assign you tasks you won’t need to go near fire for?”

But Tai Long bared his teeth and declared angrily, “Like hell you need to! I’m not that delicate!” To prove it, he marched toward the fires and defiantly began tending to them, as if daring the flames to burn him again.

Lin Changyuan blinked, then laughed. “As you wish, Your Grumpiness,” he said as he dove back into preparing for another day of work.

The rest of the day passed in a surreal manner for Tai Long. Not only was Lin Changyuan openly friendly and helpful, some of the others had also started interacting with him in a positive way. The glares and looks of disdain he usually got went down by a lot. And while he wouldn’t say that everyone was good to him, it at least seemed that a lot of them were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. It meant he had successfully duped…ehem, won over at least a few people. Now, the smithy wasn’t as hostile as it was before.

When Tai Long finished work and made his way back to the dorm hall, he felt downright cheerful. Seeing Xiao-Ji detach from the shadows and accompany him only improved his mood.

After they returned to the dorm hall, one of the men who had helped Tai Long yesterday came over and asked casually, “Yo, you finished working? Help me carry some of these boxes, would you? My siblings back home wanted me to buy all sorts of things from the capital and I have to mail it all to them now. What a pain.”

Tai Long, “……” Oi, what was with this casual way of asking him to do things?! When he was a prince, people had to arrange appointments several weeks in advance to even be granted an audience!

But the other man didn’t give him a chance to refuse and directly pushed a stack of boxes into his arms. “Here, hold it steady. I’ll go get the others and we can set off now.”

“What makes you think I agreed to help you?” the young man complained irritably.

The other man looked at him strangely. “You were a bit of a lone wolf with a bite before, so we let you be. But since you accepted our help yesterday, it’s only fair that you help us in return every now and then, isn’t it? That’s how things work in most communities, kid.”

Tai Long’s confidence in his princely charisma suffered a huge blow. So their help was not some huge favor given to him due to his charm, but something they considered normal to do in communities like in this dorm hall? Recalling Lin Changyuan’s advice to not consider inclusion as an insult, the young man managed to restrain himself. But having compromised so much today already, he was loath to do any more diplomatic socializing.

Tai Long was just wondering if he could use his injuries as an excuse to get away when the man added casually, “Oh, seems like we might be staying out late. Since you’re helping me, how about I treat you to dinner? Nothing expensive though.”

Tai Long’s response was instantaneous. “Of course, I’m not that crass. If this is all the packages you have, we should set off now.” Forget it; for the sake of palatable food, he was willing to put up with a few more adjustments to his life.

Another man piped up from the side, “Hey, if you’re going to be gone long, can we take care of your cat?”

Tai Long narrowed his eyes. “Yes, but don’t swarm around him. He likes having some space. Wash your hands before you touch him and stop whatever you’re doing if he hisses as you or moves away from you. Stay away from his belly, eyes, and tail unless you want to be decorated with scratches. Ah, and he likes chicken, so he would appreciate some for dinner.”

“We’ll remember!” the man answered enthusiastically.

Tai Long nodded at him and gave Xiao-Ji a reassuring look before leaving with the packages. As he stepped out of the dorm hall, Tai Long heard the others seriously argue about the order in which each person would hold the cat.

The young man smiled. It seemed he and his Xiao-Ji were starting to adapt to this commoner life after all.

 

Next chapter, Tai Long meets Lin Changyuan's family~ Can you guess how Yan Yiwen will react to the person who troubled her younger brother? (৹╹ω╹৹) Tai Long also finally sets everything right with that botched weapons delivery and learns about...hugs XD As you might have guessed, it's going to be mostly lighthearted from here on out~

If you liked the chapter, don't forget to click the little heart at the top or bottom of the page to tell me~ (∗´ ꒳`∗) See you all next week!

10