Extra 12: Vacation [Part 2]
375 8 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I know, it's been a long while since the last update _(┐「ε:)_ I swear I've been doing my best.

Either way, enjoy Yan Yixuan acting innocent while being a scheming little fox for his beloved Ah-Wei's sake, again~ (ෆ`꒳´ෆ)

In the Yan household’s second mansion outside the capital, breakfast carried on peacefully.

After consuming copious amounts of hangover soup, Yan Yixuan felt his headache ease. That combined with how they only partook of the wine on full bellies the previous night helped reduce the alcohol’s aftereffects.

Once breakfast was done, Ning Wei and Yan Yixuan shambled back to sleep some more to make up for how they stayed up late last night. Before going to bed, Yan Yixuan let himself be stuffed and slathered with all sorts of medicine to combat his aching body from the previous night’s overenthusiastic and strenuous activities.

The couple woke up just before lunchtime and had a warm and refreshing bath to ease their sore muscles. By the time they finished dressing up, they had recovered enough energy to be curious about the town they were staying in. Upon Yan Yixuan’s suggestion, they thus decided to have lunch outside. Ruan Shu naturally tagged along, utterly unconcerned about being the glaring third wheel.

After meandering through the roads while bantering and occasionally asking for directions, the group of three found themselves standing in front of the biggest eatery in town. The wooden building was scarred but robust and seemed to have had its thatch roof newly replaced. The establishment smelled of sun-warmed hay, spicy smoke, and delicious food.

Stacks of irregular wooden stools and chairs lined one side of the wall beside the entrance. It seemed that each customer was to take their own seating to the table. A few old men had dragged stools to sit in front of the establishment, sipping watery tea as they chatted animatedly.

Ruan Shu chose a stool while Ning Wei picked up two chairs on the way inside. Seeing that there were currently no servers in sight, Yan Yixuan headed towards the proprietor of the shop. The plump, middle-aged man was lazily slumped on a counter by the entrance and eavesdropping on the old men’s conversation outside. He seemed to have no intention of stirring.

When Yan Yixuan reached the proprietor, he had to rap his knuckles on the table to get his attention. “What food do you have available now?” All that walking had kindled his hunger and he didn’t want to have to wait long.

The proprietor cast a lazy glance over then quickly straightened when he realized this customer might be some big young master from his manner and clothes. He promptly answered, “We have some meat and vegetable stuffed buns and soups, sweet and savory fried pancakes, rice porridge, clear soup noodles, noodles that can be customized with meat, century eggs, or tofu…” After listing everything out the proprietor earnestly added, “If this honored customer wants to make any changes to the dishes, please don’t hesitate to tell me and I’ll do my best.”

Yan Yixuan nodded and turned to shout across the hall, “Husband, is there anything in particular you want to have for lunch?”

Ning Wei looked up and smiled. “I’ll let you order for me, beloved.”  The general’s voice, used to issuing commands that would be heard throughout the battlefield, ensued that the entire establishment heard his affectionate and doting tone that oozed the sentiment of ‘anything my husband says goes’.

The innocent people peacefully eating and gossiping were all thus force-fed a mouthful of sweetness by this couple.

Yan Yixuan turned back to the proprietor and showed off with a sedate smile, “My husband is really too good to me.”

The proprietor’s mouth twitched but he wisely didn’t comment, only asking, “Has this honored customer decided on what to order?”

Yan Yixuan chose three large bowls of chicken and egg noodles along with a plate of vegetable dumplings to share in between them, then walked back to the table to sit beside Ning Wei.

Ruan Shu playfully grumped, “Yixuan, you didn’t ask me what I wanted.”

The young man sniffed. “Since Brother Ruan interrupted my and Ah-Wei’s time alone, you can eat our dog food and be satisfied with it.”

Ruan Shu folded his arms and snorted. “Ha! Mere words of affection alone aren’t enough to even fill the gaps between my teeth. If you really plan on making me go hungry today, see if I don’t sic those physicians on you to bring about a new wave of bitter medicinal meals for you to enjoy for months to come.”

Yan Yixuan gasped in outrage. “You wouldn’t dare!”

Cocking an eyebrow, Ruan Shu challenged, “Test me and see for yourself.”

Ning Wei relaxed back in his chair with his intertwined hands on his stomach, amused as always at their bickering.

Soon their meal arrived and the proprietor himself oversaw the servers arranging the food before they all withdrew. Though the array of steaming dishes seemed plain and homey, their scent was nevertheless enticing enough to make the three hungry men lift their chopsticks without preamble and dig in. Other than the slurping of noodles and the clink of chopsticks on bowls, no other sound interrupted them as they focused on relishing their lunch.

It was only when the meal was winding down that they noticed how an argument two tables over had risen in volume.

Most of the customers in the eatery were already overtly or covertly watching the drama. In small towns like this, everyone knew everyone, making instances like this all the more juicy.

Yan Yixuan, Ning Wei, and Ruan Shu joined the others in observing the ruckus to get some after-meal entertainment.

The table that was now the center of attention was occupied by a family of three, consisting of a wife and husband pair who seemed to be dissatisfied with their daughter. The wife looked shrewish yet presented herself well while the husband was pale and notably handsome in a scholarly kind of way. Sitting across from them, their daughter looked to be around twenty and was pretty with a wide, smiling mouth and round, lively eyes. However, her mouth was certainly not smiling now and those eyes were currently dulled with boredom as she expressed how unimpressed she was with her parents through every line of her body.

Yan Yixuan squinted at the wife and muttered, “Something about that older woman seems vaguely familiar.”

Frowning, Ruan Shu looked at the person in question and made a sound in assent.

Ning Wei glanced at the woman and dismissed it. “I don’t recognize her. Could she be someone related to you?”

Yan Yixuan shook his head uncertainly and tilted his head in puzzlement. Wait, why did that woman’s nose look similar to…

Meanwhile, Ruan Shu narrowed his eyes. Where had he seen the shape of those eyebrows before?

As realization suddenly bloomed, Yan Yixuan and Ruan Shu shared a wide-eyed glance while Ning Wei obliviously looked on at the drama unfolding at that table.

“It must be the capital with all its evil temptations of luxury and debauchery that ruined you, making you demand such unfilial things!” the woman was yelling shrilly, her finger jabbing at her daughter. “As your parents, we thought we were sending you there to study so you’d become a cultured, virtuous woman! But now you return telling us you’re going to continue living away from us in the capital and don’t want us to interfere in your life anymore? Zhuang Ying, you insolent girl! Does your own family mean nothing to you?!”

Father Zhuang sat beside his furious wife, radiating stoic disapproval.

Their daughter, Zhuang Ying, rolled her eyes and huffed. “You both chucked me off to the capital when I was six because the small school here wasn’t good enough for you, yet you barely visited me once or twice in these past seventeen or so years. Why do you expect me to have any attachment to you or this place? If anything, you should be glad I’m willing to pay back all the money you spent on me till now. I worked hard on the side for years to gather it all, you know.”

Mother Zhuang slammed a hand on the table, incensed. “I didn’t expect my daughter to grow so ungrateful when all we wanted was for you to have an education good enough to make our family proud! Your father is already a renowned scholar, how can you not follow in his footsteps?”

Her expression turning mournful, Mother Zhuang continued, “After you returned, we even helped you take the next step in your life and set up marriage interviews with wealthy and prominent suitors. All you have to do is birth a son or two and you’ll be set for life.”

Her expression turned angry again, “Yet you had the audacity to beat up the first man we tried to match you with and even chased him around town with your shoe, making him into a laughingstock! Do you know how hard your father and I had to work to appease that man’s family?! And yet, despite all our efforts to help you live a smooth life, this is how you repay us? By saying you want to abandon us?! Who will take care of us in our old age if even the child we struggled through pain and adversity to give birth to and raise up doesn’t care?!”

Zhuang Ying let out a frustrated sigh and growled, “Mother, why do you have to be so dramatic? First of all, I already told you―I had no reason to put up with that fellow’s handsy behavior so I defended myself and taught him a lesson while I was at it. If he acted like that during our first meeting, heavens know how annoying he’d be after marriage. I pity his future spouse and feel grateful it won’t be me.

“And second, it’s not like I’m going to cut off all ties with you! I only want to go and live independently in the capital. I’m not interested in marriage for now and I don’t even want to think of having babies when I don’t feel fully grown up myself.”

The father frowned and admonished patronizingly, “Xiao-Ying, how can a woman like you live on her own? Staying with female students in a dormitory was one thing, but now that you finished schooling you can’t just run about with strangers. When we finalize a marriage partner for you, what will the other side say if they knew you were so unrestrained? You should keep propriety in mind and stay here obediently until we find you a proper husband.”

Zhuang Ying looked up as if beseeching the heavens to rain down some sense into her parents, then turned to her mother and father again. Her voice was tight as she dropped all pretense of politeness and said, “The entire reason I don’t want to stay here is so I wouldn’t be suffocated by your damned close-mindedness. You can’t grow a healthy carp in a tea cup. And I’m not asking your permission, I’m telling you my decision! I won’t marry and won’t give birth. I’ll go to the capital and live there on my own! Get that through you thick skulls or I’ll just elope with myself into the sunset! You can go beg my cousins in Father’s hometown to take care of you in your old age then!” She folded her arms and harrumphed.

Her parents’ eyes widened in disbelief, their throats feeling tight with indignation.

Just then, a middle-aged woman walked up to the family and advised, “Madam Zhuang, since your daughter wants to live outside, just let her. If it fails she can still come back home.”

Zhuang Ying gave her a grateful look.

But Mother Zhuang was not so easily persuaded after having her ire roused. “Madam Tang, do realize that if this daughter of mine fails and ends up doing something that affects our family’s reputation, not even the Yellow River can wash away the stain! Isn’t it better for her to just stay here and do as she’s told to avoid ruining her life?!”

Madam Tang sighed. “My, my, you certainly don’t seem to have faith in your own daughter. The capital is right under the nose of the empress so shouldn’t it be safer than those other big cities? Besides, Madam Zhuang, don’t you know some big people in the capital? If you ask them, maybe they’ll keep an eye on your Xiao-Ying for you.”

Hearing this, a young man at a nearby table leaned over the back of his seat with shining eyes. “Madam Zhuang, you know someone important in the capital? I’m planning to go find a job serving one of the households there since I hear they pay well. Can you ask your acquaintance to introduce me to an employer?”

“Of course she can!” another lady declared proudly after dropping all pretense of not eavesdropping. Walking over to join in the limelight, she gave Mother Zhuang a flattering smile and grandly announced, “Don’t you know? Madam Zhuang here knows the Great General himself!”

Ning Wei sighed and continued placidly sipping his after-meal tea. His expression was numb as if with the vicissitudes of life. There was no dearth of people who claimed a connection to him ever since he returned a war hero. He no longer bothered with correcting it.

The young man who wanted to go work at the capital exclaimed excitedly, “The Great General?! How does the madam know him? Is he a relative?”

The lady who revealed this information gleefully answered, “Yes, he is. It might be difficult to believe, but Madam Zhuang is the general’s actual birth mother!”

Ning Wei promptly choked on his tea and began coughing as Yan Yixuan sympathetically patted his back.

He and Ruan Shu had already guessed it might be something like this. After all, they saw Ning Wei’s face all day round and had recognized certain similarities to that woman. Combined with how Ning Wei’s birth mother was said to have eloped out of the capital and this town’s fame for being a place for such people to hide in, they only grew more confident in their conjecture.

Yan Yixuan suppressed his twitching lips. It seems they had inadvertently stumbled into the surprise the empress mentioned hiding in this town when she gifted the mansion to him. His Sister Nuo’s flair for dramatics was as strong as ever.

In the meantime, more people gathered around the Zhuang family’s table. Some had never heard about Madam Zhuang’s connection to Ning Wei before and wanted to know more, while others decided to see if they’d find some thrilling new piece of information in this old tale.

Faced with so many interested gazes, Mother Zhuang temporarily forgot her discontent with her daughter and preened happily. Her husband pressed his lips together and stewed silently in displeasure. Was his wife’s previous marriage so freaking impressive that it had to be brought up even now?!

Their daughter, Zhuang Ying, realized she couldn’t escape through this thick throng of people around the table and banged her head on the table dramatically, then lay there lifelessly as if hoping she’d be considered a part of the furniture and forgotten as her mother behaved shamelessly.

Madam Zhuang puffed up proudly even as she tried to act modest. “It’s not that big of a deal and I don’t talk about it much, but I’m indeed the flesh and blood mother of Great General Ning Wei. My son is married to that famous Duke Yan, if you didn’t know. The same Duke Yan who’s said to be a close confidant of the empress herself!”

The people surrounding her sucked in their breaths, impressed. Some even looked at Father Zhuang with admiration, mistaking him for the great general’s birth father. They had only heard of prominent names like that Duke Yan’s and the great general’s since news about their doings was abundant enough to reach even their isolated little town. As for matters of the past like who the previous general was or any other old stories, they were considered stale news, and as such, weren’t as well-known or discussed here.

The Yan household’s table was deathly quiet. Yan Yixuan’s eyes burned with suppressed anger while Ning Wei was silent as he looked at Madam Zhuang. Ruan Shu sighed, but didn’t say anything.

In the capital, it was common knowledge how Ning Wei’s mother had betrayed his father with another man then run away. Ning Guang was left to take care of Ning Wei by himself, and his wife’s sudden abandonment had cast a dreary pall over him.

Who could bear the thought that while they fought on the frontlines risking their life, their spouse was happily cavorting with some other man? She even snuck away with that man without having the bare minimum decency to break it off face-to-face, leaving their infant son to fend for himself alone!

It was a good thing that baby Ning Wei was temporarily taken in by his loyal nanny. He had had to stay at the nanny’s house and she had cared for him with her own money after the Ning residence was cleared away of everything valuable and the staff dispersed by the runaway wife.

His wife’s abandonment of his son and all that could have gone wrong to his precious child without that kindhearted nanny left Ning Guang with a psychological shadow. He never again left Ning Wei in anyone’s care, bringing him along and looking after him personally.

They first lived at the Ning household at the border with their extended family until Ning Wei grew up enough. Ning Guang then took him to travel within the safety of the empire’s borders, training him along the way while relaying orders through trustworthy subordinates. When Ning Wei was ready, Ning Guang finally returned to the frontlines with him and let his son climb the ranks as a soldier even as he remained by his father’s side.

Afterwards, Ning Wei had sometimes woken up in the middle of the night, his grief for his purportedly dead father having surged up suffocatingly. When it happened while he was sharing Yan Yixuan’s bed, the young man would hold and comfort him. He coaxed Ning Wei to talk about his memories in a bid to lessen the suffocation and Ning Wei would hug him tight, head buried in the crook of Yan Yixuan’s shoulder as he spoke about how difficult his father must have had it. Yet he gave Ning Wei such a wonderful childhood.

It hadn’t always been perfect, of course.

As a child, Ning Wei had often burst out crying, wanting his mother, not understanding why she wasn’t there. How heartbroken must his father have been even as he consoled him? Then there was that time when Ning Wei had even accused his father of being the one who caused his mother to run away and abandon him. His father had looked at him with such pain in his eyes even as he tried to smile and comfort him.

Of course, once Ning Wei realized how mean he was being, he apologized and attempted to make amends by trying his hand at cooking for the first time. Ning Guang had been duly cheered up even though he had to spend the next day locked in the outhouse while hugging his stomach.

Well, at least Ning Wei’s cooking had improved since then.

But despite all of Ning Guang’s efforts, Ning Wei didn’t have a perfect childhood. No matter how much his father loved him, he was still a busy man. He often had to leave Ning Wei feeling lonely or would have to be strict in the face of Ning Wei’s exhaustion and irritability during training. But at the end of the day, Ning Wei never doubted that his father loved him and would always be on his side, supporting him through all difficulties in life.

However, who supported his father?

His own wife’s betrayal left Ning Guang reluctant to attempt new relationships. And with Ning Wei depending on him, his father refused to frivolously include new people in his life. With countless painful scars of his own hidden behind a playful smile, Ning Guang had forged on with his life.

And after many years of healing, Ning Guang finally found the courage to love Master Jin and had now secured a content life for himself.

But that did not erase all the hurt he must have faced alone after such a complete betrayal of faith and love.

And now, after all these long years, the treacherous woman who carved that injury into Ning Guang and ruthlessly left behind an infant in a hollowed-out house had the gall to proudly use their names to boost herself up, as if what they’d accomplished through blood and suffering was now hers to use to frivolously adorn her name. Even her son’s partner was not spared from being brought up and exploited by this woman as stepping stones.

It made rage boil through Yan Yixuan’s veins, and even the usually coolheaded bystander Ruan Shu felt indignant on Ning Wei’s behalf. Not just because Ning Wei was his little brother’s husband, but also because he was someone Ruan Shu had grown to quite like after all this time they spent bantering and discussing about taking care of a certain troublesome little fox.

Right as the tension at their table reached its peak, the focus of their sympathy, Ning Wei, rubbed his nape and asked casually, “Say…do you think that woman is really my birth mother? I heard she left my father because she found someone more handsome, but that pasty white dandy is nowhere near as good-looking as my father was in his prime.” Ning Wei clicked his tongue and shook his head disapprovingly.

Yan Yixuan and Ruan Shu, “……”

The heartache and suffocating anger that had been accumulating on Ning Wei’s behalf fizzled out.

Yan Yixuan coughed to hide a chuckle. It seemed his beloved cared even less about this mother of his than he thought.

But that didn’t mean he would absolve that woman of her crimes.

With sharp amusement, the young man said, “I’m a little curious about the story that woman is spinning. I’m going to go take a look.”

As Yan Yixuan got up and began heading towards the Zhuang family’s table, Ning Wei and Ruan Shu looked at each other with similar expressions of anticipation. Ning Wei raised a hand to call the proprietor over and asked for a bowl of melon seeds.

Ruan Shu chuffed out a laugh. “Good idea. Enjoying drama should always be accompanied by snacks.”

The proprietor, “……” He’d never seen anyone act so blatantly entertained while watching a commotion before. Tsk, tsk, these outsiders had thicker skins when it came to gossip than even the natives in this town that was known for gossiping.

Yan Yixuan approached the Zhuangs’ table and spoke with a smile, “As someone from the capital, I’ve heard about the people Madam Zhuang has been talking about. Can you tell me more about your relation to them?”

Hearing he was from the capital, paired with his expensive clothes and stately mannerisms, the townsfolk crowding around the table parted quickly. They were eager to see what new information this young man would add to the topic.

Madam Zhuang was pleased at his expressed interest but also nervous. As someone from the capital, could he already know the truth? But seeing that he was someone much younger than her daughter with nothing but innocent curiosity in his face, her worries were laid to rest.

And so, she directed a kindly smile towards him and responded, “What would you like to know, young man?”

Yan Yixuan put on an expression of wide-eyed wonder and asked, “Are you really that General Ning’s mother and that Duke Yan’s mother-in-law?”

Sitting straighter, Madam Zhuang beamed and answered, “Yes. I indeed gave birth to Ning Wei and in turn ended up becoming the mother-in-law to someone famous. But even that fearsome Duke Yan has to bow his head to me in deference as someone from the younger generation.”

Yan Yixuan’s angelic smile widened. “I see.”

If anyone from the imperial court were here, they would be shivering in fear at the sight of that demonic duke smiling like this. But Ning Wei and Ruan Shu only munched on their melon seeds with increased enthusiasm while clicking their tongues in appreciation for this woman’s ability to dig pits for herself.

Meanwhile, Zhuang Ying was more mortified by the moment.

As someone who had spent so many years in the capital, she of course knew what truly happened between her mother and the current general’s father. When she found out, she had been so ashamed that she hid her relation to this widely disliked pair of adulterers. Yet here her mother was, so shamelessly using the son she abandoned without any qualms!

Unable to bear being beside this woman anymore in case her shamelessness was contagious, Zhuang Ying searched for an escape route again.

Due to the impressive-seeming Yan Yixuan making his entrance, the tight encirclement of their table had loosened to make way for him. Taking this chance, Zhuang Ying stealthily slipped away from her table and looked around for a place to sit where she would blend in with the crowd.

All the tables near the scene of the commotion were filled with people either openly or furtively listening in. Spotting the only empty seat, she slunk towards it speedily and sat down with a sigh of relief.

As one might’ve guessed, it was the very seat Yan Yixuan recently vacated and the one situated beside Ning Wei.

“……” Ning Wei and Ruan Shu looked at her blankly while Zhuang Ying made herself at home.

She peered at Ning Wei’s bowl of melon seeds and asked carefreely, “You planning to share?”

Ning Wei’s lips twitched. “No.”

“Stingy.” Zhuang Ying shook her head. Without any psychological burden, she settled in to enjoy the drama at her previous table.

Ruan Shu looked at Ning Wei with a raised brow, wordlessly asking what he wanted to do.

Ning Wei shrugged with a helpless smile. He couldn’t justify driving her away. Plus, he had to admit he was a bit curious about this half-sister of his. She wasn’t to blame for her parents’ choices so Ning Wei didn’t have any ill-will towards her.

At the Zhuang family’s table, Yan Yixuan continued his guileless act and looked at Madam Zhuang’s husband. “Since Madam Zhuang is General Ning’s mother, your husband must be the previous general Ning Guang, Ning Wei’s father?”

Madam Zhuang’s smile froze while her husband looked insulted. Even after he won against that dastardly man by being chosen over him by his own wife, why did he still have to be compared to that Ning Guang?!

Looking doubtful, Yan Yixuan continued, “I’ve heard that the former general was captured by Xie during the war and tortured in the dark underground dungeons to extract military secrets, but he held on all these years until the current general could come and get him. General Ning Guang must bear several horrific scars from his ordeal, however…” The young man awkwardly glanced at the slender, scholarly man with an unblemished countenance sitting at the table. “Madam Zhuang’s husband doesn’t look like that at all.”

When the young man talked about Ning Guang’s fate, Father Zhuang gave a small smile as if pleased at what the former general had gone through.

Yan Yixuan noted it without a change in expression.

Meanwhile, the crowd around them had the opposite reaction from Father Zhuang. At first, the murmurs that arose lamented how tragic and heroic the previous general was. But the discussions soon shifted to the discrepancy between Madam Zhuang’s husband and the previous general.

Some questioned: could it be that Madam Zhuang had been lying? After all, it would be too easy for people to pretend relation to some famous person or another. But Madam Zhuang’s claim was so bold and straightforward that they had thought it must be the truth. But maybe…

Realizing that people were starting to doubt her, Madam Zhuang flushed. Her head spun frantically as she tried to figure out a way to twist the situation to her benefit again. She finally spoke, “O-Of course my current husband isn’t that brutish general! I was once married to the previous general and gave birth to the current general. But due to extenuating circumstances, I had to give up my former family. If not for my current husband I really might not have had the fortitude to live on after everything I went through under that man surnamed Ning.”

She bowed her head and started sniffling, dabbing at her non-teary eyes. Madam Zhuang hoped this would gain her some pity and stall this troublesome young man from asking more questions.

But Yan Yixuan was unmoved. He looked sympathetic and as harmless as a white lamb even as he ruthlessly pressed on, “But how could that be? I heard that the previous general’s first wife was a black-hearted, adulterous woman who was out frolicking with a new, pretty-faced beau while her husband was risking life and limb to protect the country.

“When she heard that her husband was returning home to spend time with her and their son for a little while, seeking a brief solace in the midst of the soul-wearying struggles of war, she heartlessly stole everything she could from their residence and ran away with her lover. She even cast aside her infant son and left him behind in an empty house without conscience. She didn’t even have the backbone to break things off with her husband face-to-face and instead scampered off like a mangy street dog with its tail tucked between its legs.”

Madam Zhuang’s expression sank lower and lower with every word.

Yan Yixuan then beamed at her sunnily and continued, “But of course, Madam Zhuang is so nice. You couldn’t possibly be that treacherous, spineless wretch of a woman cursed all over the capital as an example of the most vile kind of wife and mother, who not only abandoned her spouse but was also without the most basic care towards her own child.”

Madam Zhuang’s face darkened further while the chattering around them increased in volume and intensity.

This damn brat! He must be trying to discredit her in front of everyone on purpose!

Zhuang Ying tossed some peanuts into her mouth and clucked her tongue. “That woman is even more despicable than I heard!”

Ning Wei and Ruan Shu, “……”

Why does it feel like you’re commenting on some strangers’ affairs and not that of your own family’s?!

But if they were her…they would want to pretend they weren’t part of that family too.

Looking at the brazen Madam Zhuang, Ruan Shu leaned towards Ning Wei and remarked in a whisper, “Tsk, tsk, I don’t know how such a woman could give birth to someone like you, General.”

With restrained smugness, Ning Wei spoke, “Exactly. Unlike her, I certainly perform my wifely duties very well.”

Zhuang Ying almost choked on her peanuts. “This great brother, do you mind not dropping such explosive words so casually?”

Ning Wei chortled at the irony of being called ‘brother’ like he was just another male stranger while he was, in fact, really her brother.

Meanwhile, Yan Yixuan pretended to have just realized something and covered his mouth with a chagrined expression. “Oh dear, I didn’t mean to make it sound like Madam Zhuang was lying!” Eyes brightening, he dropped his hand and expressed, “But it should be easy to prove that you’re General Ning’s mother. Considering your relation, the general should’ve often come to visit you, shouldn’t he?”

Not paying Madam Zhuang’s worsening complexion any mind, Yan Yixuan looked around to ask the crowd, “Did any of you happen to catch the general during his visits? How lucky you all must be to have the chance to meet him!”

Frowning, the townspeople looked at each other questioningly and shook their heads to show that they hadn’t personally seen anyone who could be the great general.

Madam Zhuang didn’t dare let this matter get further out of hand and squeezed out a sob, still delicately dabbing her eyes to dry non-existent tears. “I should have expected this,” she said in a trembling voice.

The crowd quietened to hear her better and she went on, “I should have known that my former husband would be spiteful enough towards me to spread such untruthful rumors. I’m afraid that by now, even my son must’ve been taken in by those wretched lies. That must be why he hasn’t come to visit me all these years! It finally makes sense!”

Pretending to break down into sobbing, she covered her face and wailed, “Oh, my darling Xiao-Wei! It’s all Mother’s fault for not being with you! Blame me for not being strong enough to withstand that man’s heartlessness and running away!”

Yan Yixuan’s eyelid twitched. Xiao-Wei?! Who gave this woman the right to call his beloved husband so affectionately! Since she dared to be so audacious, she couldn’t blame him for letting her dig as big a pit for herself as she wanted!

His expression was a mixture of distress and innocent curiosity as Yan Yixuan prodded, “Madam Zhuang, whatever do you mean?”

Pretending to hiccup pitifully and wipe away more tears with a sleeve, she spoke sadly, “The truth is…it was my first husband, Ning Guang, who went around visiting brothels and indulging in women while he was at the borders. I bore and bore with it, but… I couldn’t anymore! Even after we had a child together he wouldn’t stop! I refused to be humiliated any further so I could only ask for a divorce.

“However, he grew angry at me. He felt insulted that I would dare attempt to leave such a heroic general with fame and glory like him. He confined me in the house and treated me horribly. I’ll spare you all the details since I can’t bear to remember everything I went through.”

Madam Zhuang pretended to need a moment to collect herself from the trauma before ‘bravely’ continuing, “In the end, beaten and broken, it was all I could do to escape alone. I regret every day that I couldn’t save my beloved child, but I keep hoping that someday I will meet him. I hope I’ll have the chance to ask for his forgiveness for leaving him behind in the hands of that arrogant and bloodthirsty general. But alas, it isn’t possible.

“I know how that man loves to maintain face and put on the act of a noble warrior. But I didn’t realize he would go so far as to lie and frame me as the villain. It’s too cruel! Oh, my little boy, my darling Xiao-Wei… How he must hate me so!”

As Madam Zhuang dissolved into tears on her husband’s shoulder, Yan Yixuan looked torn as if not knowing what to think. In the end, he hesitantly spoke up, “I can’t believe that the former general could be such a man… All I’ve heard of him are praises about how kind, humble, generous, powerful, and fearless he was.

“It’s spoken about widely how the former General Ning used his own body to shield civilians when war encroached into the border towns. He was just and fair, treating his fellow soldiers like brothers who he’d risk his life for rather than simple subordinates serving him. He bravely dove into enemy forces numerous times and valiantly changed the tides of battle. He was imposing and inspiring as he swept away the lives of enemy soldiers under every swing of his sword. Later, he stubbornly safeguarded the empire’s secrets even under brutal torture for years, then...”

Someone banged on the table and yelled, “Enough! Stop talking about him as if he’s some virtuous god!”

Everyone startled and looked towards the person who had interrupted.

Yan Yixuan had been keeping an eye on Father Zhuang all this while as he extolled Ning Guang’s many virtues. Sure enough, this petty man was unable to tolerate someone speaking so well of his wife’s former husband whose achievements must cause him much insecurity.

With a sour expression, Father Zhuang spat, “That damned man is nothing but some brute who revels in blood and slaughter. In peacetime such people are called murderers! What kind and humble? I bet he used his power every day to take advantage of women and arrogantly order about his subordinates! What powerful and brave? He just likes killing people as if he were butchering livestock!

“Someone so sick, sadistic, uncouth, and inhuman deserves every bit of suffering Xie put him through! If anything, I wish they’d ripped him apart, separating meat from bone and stringing up his guts so the crows and dogs can feast on his worthless body, mixing shreds of his flesh into mud and dirt for all men and beasts to step on!”

Yan Yixuan’s jaws clenched and hands fisted within his sleeves. It was all he could do to not slug this bastard in his face. This was going too far!

Back at their table, Ruan Shu commented, “All that anger and this is all he could come up with? How pitiful. Former General Ning would be disappointed if he was cursed at so uncreatively.”

“Mn,” Ning Wei murmured in assent. But his eyes were burning.

Of all the people in this world, the two people Ning Wei wouldn’t tolerate being badmouthed the most were Yan Yixuan and his father.

Affecting calmness, he pushed his bowl towards Ruan Shu. “Hold my melon seeds.” Getting up, he stalked towards Father Zhuang with a deceptively cheerful smile that sent chills down the backs of anyone who witnessed it.

The crowd around the Zhuang family’s table parted watchfully, curious to see what this scarily smiling man was up to.

“Accompany me for a moment, would you?” Ning Wei told Father Zhuang before dragging him out of his chair by the collar unceremoniously and pulling him towards the door.

Face flushing with indignation, Father Zhuang struggled and protested, “W-Wait, what are you doing?! Who in damnation are you?! Stop― Let me go! I said stop!”

“Tch, so noisy,” Ning Wei muttered to himself and ‘accidentally’ yanked Father Zhuang the wrong way, causing his head to hit the doorframe on their way out of the eatery. Father Zhuang cried out loudly and held his head, temporarily unable to muster the energy to struggle.

Everyone, “……”

Wh-What just happened? Should they do something?

Madam Zhuang was frozen in fear and alarm. Who was that man and what business did he have with her husband?!

Yan Yixuan’s voice sounded, soothing away worries, “It seems Master Zhuang was just taken out for a chat. Since they headed outside into public, I doubt anything bad will happen. I’m sure they’ll return shortly.”

But what Yan Yixuan was thinking was, That man surnamed Zhuang was one hundred percent going to be dragged into a dingy alley and beaten to a pulp.

Not knowing his true thoughts, the others settled down. That’s right. Who would dare to drag someone into public for a fight? Even Madam Zhuang was somewhat mollified, though she still twisted her hands anxiously.

The eatery buzzed as people tried to guess who that man was and for what reason he needed Master Zhuang. Some asked Madam Zhuang if she knew anything, only to be told that she had no idea as well.

Meanwhile, Zhuang Ying grabbed the bowl of melon seeds Ning Wei had left with Ruan Shu, much to Ruan Shu’s amusement. Zhuang Ying was gleeful to finally have more snacks since her peanuts had run out.

A few minutes later, Ning Wei strolled back while carefreely humming a jaunty tune.

“You― Where’s my husband? What happened to him?!” Madam Zhuang immediately questioned.

Ning Wei paused and looked at her. Then he shrugged and said casually, “He injured himself so he was sent to the physician.”

Ning Wei flexed his hand as he talked and the others finally noticed that his knuckles were bruised, as if he’d just beaten someone up.

The others, “……”

They silently turned to the young man who had assured them that the two men had just gone out for a chat. Yan Yixuan naturally pretended to not notice their looks. He had no doubt that their sympathy for that Master Zhuang wouldn’t last much longer.

The disconsolate Madam Zhuang yelled, “You damned thug! You hit my husband! What did he ever do to you?! I want justice!”

Ning Wei smiled while Yan Yixuan outright laughed. There was no point in drawing out the act any more.

With cold amusement, Yan Yixuan said, “Madam Zhuang, didn’t you say you wished every day for the chance to apologize to your son? Now that you have the chance how could you scold him instead?”

Madam Zhuang stared at him in confusion for a moment. As realization slowly dawned, she stood up and turned to study Ning Wei with widening eyes. “I-It can’t be… N-Ning Wei?”

The hall plunged into shocked silence.

Ning Wei continued smiling with deceptive mildness. “Hello there, Mother. It’s been a while since we saw each other. Not that I, who was an infant when you abandoned me, can remember your ugly mug.”

Madam Zhuang’s face jerked.

Stroking his jaw thoughtfully, Ning Wei went on, “Say, I look so handsome that my husband keeps saying he can’t get enough of me. You, on the other hand, look like…this. I suppose I must have gotten all my looks from my father, huh?”

Yan Yixuan chuckled. “Father-in-law is indeed very handsome. It must run in the Ning bloodline.” He then winked at his husband. “But my Ah-Wei will always be the most handsome to me.”

Ning Wei grinned at him affectionately. “Why thank you, my dearest.”

Madam Zhuang staggered back as her eyes bulged out in disbelief. She woodenly turned to Yan Yixuan. “Y-You…you…”

Ning Wei cheerfully said, “Yes, he’s my husband, Yan Yixuan. The same Duke Yan you said has to bow his head before you when you meet.”

Yan Yixuan gave her a smile sharper than the bloodied edge of a blade. There was no innocence to be found now. Stepping towards her languidly, he bent to meet her eye-to-eye and asked, “Who must bow whose head when we meet, hm?”

Recalling the reputation of the young man before her and added with the sheer pressure of his presence scraping against her skin with invisible knives, Madam Zhuang’s face drained of all blood. Terrified, she hastily bowed, incoherently stuttering out apologies.

Yan Yixuan sounded faintly amused as he said, “This humble official has traveled far and wide, meeting people ranging from beggars to rulers, yet this is the first time I’ve seen someone so shameless. A peahen parading around as if she were a phoenix, how laughable.”

Whispers fluttered in the air and Madam Zhuang flushed with shame, expecting that she was being mocked. She wanted to peek up and try to see if she could catch someone with a sympathetic expression who would help her.

Eyes narrowing, Yan Yixuan suddenly shoved her head lower, his voice gentle as he spat, “Know your place, insect. Do you think that after all you did—stepping on the backs of righteous, honorable men who have shed blood for the empire’s people and using their names and honors for yourself—you have any more dignity left to keep your head up?”

Madam Zhuan trembled, unable to muster enough courage to defy this young man. She finally understood why people talked about this Duke Yan with so much fear. No, she couldn’t afford to go against him!

Obediently keeping her head lowered, she spoke quaveringly, “D-Duke, I d-didn’t mean to…! I’ll beg your forgiveness and sincerely repent, so plea―”

Yan Yixuan interrupted with a sneer. “What am I supposed to do with your apology? Am I the one you abandoned as a baby?”

Jaws clenched, Madam Zhuang stumblingly turned towards Ning Wei, not daring to rise up from her deep bow. “Ning Wei, my son, please forgive your mother. I shouldn’t have left you behind.”

Ning Wei’s expression was complex. Truthfully, this woman was little more than a stranger to him. But she was a stranger who had hurt his father with her callous betrayal.

“I’ll forgive you on two conditions,” Ning Wei said. “First, tell the truth about what happened between you and my father to everyone here, right now. Don’t try to be vague or gloss over things. Second, return to the capital and finish the divorce proceedings between you and my father so you can be excised from our lives, once and for all.”

What could Madam Zhuang do but agree?

“Y-Yes, I’ll do as you say.” With a miserable expression, she straightened while keeping her gaze down, unable to face the numerous judging gazes pinned on her, and spoke, “I…l-lied before. Ning Guang never treated me badly. From the beginning till the end, he was very good to me.”

“Start from the beginning,” Yan Yixuan snapped.

Madam Zhuang flinched and nodded. “When we were just out of our teens, Ning Guang courted me with gifts and attention. I liked the way he treated me so I agreed to marry him. But when Ning Guang was off in the battlefield, I felt very alone and neglected without him lavishing attention on me. When my current husband, Zhuang Mo, courted me, I felt flattered and went along with it. I found that Zhuang Mo was much more to my taste than Ning Guang, especially his scholarly and refined appearance, so…I decided to be with him.

“I later learned that Zhuang Mo’s uncle had once picked a fight with Ning Guang and lost miserably, so at first, Zhuang Mo was only trying to compete for me with Ning Guang as revenge. But Zhuang Mo and I ended up falling for each other. Zhuang Mo was the first to propose running away and starting a new life. He was ecstatic that I chose him over Ning Guang, but he disliked that I had a son with him and didn’t want to raise someone else’s blood. So…I left my son behind.

“Since Zhuang Mo was still trying to make a living as a scholar and didn’t have any income, I had to take what I could use from the Ning residence for living expenses on my way out. I didn’t want to have to pay the servants when I could use that money for myself, so I chased them all away beforehand as well. On the day we were leaving, I didn’t know what to do with my son and I was too anxious to get away. But if I gave him to someone to look after, they might ask questions or figure something out and try to get in the way. I could only leave him behind and console myself that I’d have the opportunity to birth more children in the future.

“I suppose when the nanny we used to employ heard that the mansion was empty except for the child, she came to take him. Since everything turned out fine in the end, we should all be glad and let bygones be bygones.”

The weight of the others’ scathing glares and looks of disdain seemed to gather on her shoulders like rocks. Her voice grew smaller and smaller as she talked, her face reddening as if every word out of her mouth was a slap on her own cheeks. Though her words were biased towards herself, with Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei watching her like hawks, she didn’t dare utter a single word of falsehood.

After Madam Zhuang stopped speaking, thick silence blanketed the hall.

Then the whispers and jeers started:

“Goodness gracious, how can a woman be so vicious?!”

“She left her own son behind to die because it was inconvenient. How heartless!”

“I shudder to think what our country would’ve ended up like if the great general had truly died as a child. And due to his own mother at that!”

“Let’s not forget that Master Zhuang. How petty and vile must he be to not only woo someone else’s wife but also yell curses about the man he wronged?!”

“What a sinful couple, betraying a hero fighting at the frontlines and making away with all his money… How can they live with themselves without feeling shame!?”

“Who was she kidding when she claimed that even a duke from the capital had to bow his head to her? Ha, look at how she immediately got served her just desserts! Heaven indeed has eyes!”

“No wonder their daughter wanted to live apart from them. If I was their family member, I couldn’t bear to look at their faces every day after learning what they did either!”

“They’re such cruel people…”

“People like this is why public stoning should be allowed.”

“Absolutely inhuman!”

“Let’s see if their family has the gall to keep showing their face around here after this.”

“Disgusting vermin.”

“Such shameless wretches.”

Madam Zhuang’s face burned as their condemnations hit her one after another. Her head lowered, unable to look anyone in the eye.

“What do you think, Ah-Wei?” Yan Yixuan asked his husband with a smile.

Ning Wei shrugged. “Her story sounds about right.”

Yan Yixuan nodded and turned to Madam Zhuang, who was peering up at him with fear as if awaiting his judgment. “Then we’ll give the first condition a tentative pass. All that’s left is for you to finish the divorce proceedings.”

Madam Zhuang nodded repeatedly. “I’ll do it! I’ll definitely do it!” Compared to humiliating herself in front of all her neighbors and acquaintances like this, getting a divorce would be easy.

Yan Yixuan smiled at her gently. “Mn, you better keep your promise. Or…” He leaned towards her and whispered, “I’ll peel your skin and pull out your muscles and tendons, slowly and thoroughly, one thread at a time, while making sure you’re alive and conscious for the entire excruciating and gruesome procedure. Understood?”

Madam Zhang was mute with horror, her heart thrumming like a panicked little animal in her chest. She nodded jerkily and forced out in a quavering whisper, “I-I won’t forget! I r-really won’t!”

Yan Yixuan’s eyes curved in satisfaction as he straightened. “Good.” He turned to Ning Wei. “I think we’re done here. Shall we return to our table?”

Ning Wei nodded and took his husband’s hand as they walked back. He couldn’t stop smiling with pleasure. His beloved little fox had flashed his claws and bared his fangs for his sake. How could he not be happy at yet another display of how close to his heart his dear Ah-Xuan held him?

When Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei returned to their table, they were faced with the extra addition of Zhuang Ying, who cheerfully waved at them. “Welcome back.”

Ning Wei was aghast that his melon seeds had been devoured by a certain interloper while Yan Yixuan was amused at the identity of the person who had unreservedly stolen his seat.

Meanwhile, once Zhuang Ying had digested the fact that Ning Wei was actually her half-brother, she grew ecstatic. It was great that her small-minded mother and father weren’t the only family she had! Though these new relatives were high-profile and seemed to have tempers that couldn’t be provoked, at least they had their head screwed on straight! She’d gladly take it.

And so, she batted her eyelashes and sweetly called out to Ning Wei, “Big Brother~”

Ning Wei felt goosebumps rise and shivered.

Zhuang Ying turned to Yan Yixuan and Ruan Shu with a grin. “Since you’re both close to my big brother, you can both be considered my brothers as well!” Then she reassured Ning Wei, “Don’t worry, Big Brother Wei is still my truest brother. The rest are all just adopted.”

Ning Wei, “……”

What was with this feeling as if he was a jealous main wife being pacified by a scummy husband?!

Yan Yixuan and Ruan Shu, “……”

What was with this feeling as if they were mistresses kept at the side?!

Ning Wei cleared his throat. He felt should take some responsibility and help out this half-sister of his who clearly didn’t want to have anything to do with her family. “So, what are your plans now?”

Zhuang Ying exclaimed, “I want to be a clingy panda!” She then promptly scurried behind her brother and jumped onto his back, wrapping her arms and legs around him.

Ning Wei let out an oof and adjusted his balance. He looked confused as to just what was happening.

Zhuang Ying wriggled and asked, “What, are we not going home yet?”

Ning Wei, “……” He…seemed to have inadvertently gotten a new member for their household? Feeling lost, he looked to his husband.

Yan Yixuan rubbed his forehead with a helpless smile while Ruan Shu seemed all too entertained by the chaos. He really looked forward to watching from the side, melon seeds in hand, as this new member of their household wrought havoc.

After some deliberation, Yan Yixuan finally said, “Fine, she can stay with us. Our household can certainly afford to feed another mouth.”

“And if she causes too many troubles we can just kick her out at our discretion,” Ruan Shu added with a smirk.

Rather than being cowed by the warning, Zhuang Ying instead nodded exuberantly and urged, “Yes, yes, so you should take me to my new home already. What’s with all this dilly-dallying? Those peanuts and melon seeds only whetted my appetite and now I’m hungry!”

Ning Wei rolled his eyes while Ruan Shu laughed. Shaking his head, Yan Yixuan led the way out of the eatery. The hall was still buzzing with discussions as the group of four left, Zhuang Ying still perched on her brother’s back.

On return trip to the mansion, Ning Wei bought his sister some buns from a street vendor to quell her hunger. This silent consideration made Zhuang Ying even more cheerful. She hummed in between bites of food and swung her legs happily.

Due to her position on his back, Ning Wei had to keep warning her, “Take care that you don’t drop crumbs into my hair or collar.”

Yan Yixuan smiled, eyes shining. “Don’t worry, Ah-Wei. Even if anything manages to get under your robes, I’ll make sure to personally brush it all away when we’re alone later.”

Seeing the suggestive look in his beloved’s half-lidded gaze, Ning Wei’s ears heated. He coughed and nodded. “You have to be very thorough and make sure you get every single crumb, then.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled and stepped closer to murmur, “Of course. Since my husband is trustingly putting himself in my hands, I’ll take very, very good care of him.”

Ning Wei felt his face beginning to burn as well and managed a nod.

Seeing them flirt so openly, Zhuang Ying looked between them with interest, then cheered, “Thank goodness! It seems the house I’m going to be adopted into is going to be very harmonious~”

Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei, “……”

Now they felt that they were taking in a daughter.

Seeing them rendered speechless yet again, Ruan Shu chortled and patted Zhuang Ying’s head. “Keep this up, brat, and Brother Ruan will treat you very well.”

Zhuang Ying threw her hands up and cheered. “Alright!”

Ning Wei grumbled, “Don’t encourage her.”

“Since Brother Ruan is encouraging her, he can take responsibility for cleaning up any messes Miss Zhuang causes,” Yan Yixuan said.

Ruan Shu cast him a glare. “Hey now! Don’t pit me like this, Yixuan.”

Yan Yixuan grinned at him. Turning to Zhuang Ying, he asked, “Miss Zhuang, I’ve been wondering. Did you know about your family’s affairs in relation to the Ning household before this?”

Zhuang Yin puffed out her cheeks. “No, no, you should call me Sister-in-law! If you don’t, I won’t answer!”

Yan Yixuan’s lips twitched, but he still graciously called, “Sister-in-law.”

Zhuang Ying basked at that form of address for a moment before answering, “Yep, I knew most of it and kind of figured out the rest.”

Raising an eyebrow, Yan Yixuan questioned, “Then why didn’t you try to get in contact with the Ning household all these years you were staying in the capital?”

Zhuang Ying buried her face in Ning Wei’s nape and whispered, “After everything my parents did, I was too ashamed to meet Big Brother face to face. See? Even now I can’t bear to meet his eyes, which is why I had to hop onto his back.”

Yan Yixuan, Ning Wei, Ruan Shu, “……”

What was with this godly logic that had as many holes as a fucking sieve that they could use it to sift flour?!

But because of her unbridled and infectious cheer, the mood in the group remained good all the way to the mansion.

Leaving Ruan Shu to settle Zhuang Ying’s living arrangements, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei retired to their chambers so Yan Yixuan could inspect his husband for crumbs.

Of course, Ning Wei was required to remove his clothing and allow his husband to run his hands all over him to investigate in intimate detail. Due to the overly vigorous activity the previous night, they didn’t go all the way and stopped after just one session of ‘crumb checking’. After quickly cleaning up, they cuddled together on the bed and savored the afterglow.

Yan Yixuan lazily rubbed his cheek against Ning Wei’s neck and muttered huskily, “Was today satisfying?”

Ning Wei ran a rough palm up and down his husband’s back. “Being with you in any way is always satisfying.”

Yan Yixuan laughed and nudged his shoulder. “I mean the situation with the Zhuang couple.”

Ning Wei hummed noncommittally. “Why do you ask?”

“I feel they got off too easy.” Yan Yixuan’s voice held dissatisfaction. “Especially that woman. Despite all they did to make yours and Father-in-law’s lives difficult, they got off with such light, temporary punishment. Once the beating you gave that man heals, they can choose to just pack up, leave, and start life anew in another place, unburdened by their past actions.”

“Hm, true,” Ning Wei smiled and agreed. “But they’re little more than strangers to me. I don’t want to do anything too excessive.”

Yan Yixuan harrumphed. “We didn’t do much at all! The man only got beaten up a little, and all the woman had to do was admit her wrongs after spewing all those outrageous lies and finalize the divorce with your father.” He looked up at his husband. “Are you truly satisfied with this? Can you really forgive them just like that?”

Ning Wei hesitated and shook his head. “Of course, it isn’t easy to forgive them. But I don’t want the severity of their punishment to be disproportionate to the crime either. Besides, it was my father who had to bear the brunt of the injustice. I guess the divorce will finally help him gain the closure he needs.” He sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I don’t know what else we could do.”

Yan Yixuan poked his beloved’s scrunched brows and smiled. “In times of doubt you should always consult your husband and leave things to me.”

Ning Wei chuckled, eyes shining. “Oh? What is my little fox planning now?”

“Nothing much,” Yan Yixuan assured. “Just some petty revenge to make sure the lessons we taught them fully sink in.”

Ning Wei rose up on an arm with interest. “What do you have in mind?”

Eyes narrowed, Yan Yixuan said, “Didn’t that woman elope with that man because she was enamored with his pretty looks? As a couple with a successful marriage, how about we teach her that looks are not all that should matter in a spouse?”

Ning Wei’s voice held laughter. “My, how generous. By all means, let’s go spread some education.”

That night, the town physician’s house saw two unusual visitors.

They scaled the residence’s wall and found the window to the room where patients stayed. They lit an odorless calming incense by the window and let the wind suffuse the room with it. When they heard their target’s breathing deepen and his unconscious movements stop, they slipped in, masks covering the lower halves of their faces so they wouldn’t inhale too much incense.

Ning Wei kept watch, his senses staying sharp, while Yan Yixuan took out a needle and vial from within his sleeve. He opened the vial and dipped the needle’s tip into the liquid within, then straddled the knocked-out Zhuang Mo. After surveying the sleeping man’s face, Yan Yixuan carefully pricked it with the needle. Two pokes on each cheek, one on the tip of the nose, one on the chin, and one on each lip.

Ning Wei glanced at the young man. “My, how considerate of you to avoid his bruises.”

Yan Yixuan swept him an amused look. “Bruises contain broken blood vessels and stagnated blood. Even if I inject the toxin there it probably won’t spread effectively, so why waste it?”

Ning Wei chuffed out a quiet laugh. He should’ve known. His little fox would never be that merciful.

After Yan Yixuan was done, he put away the vial and needle and the pair swiftly exited the residence the way they arrived.

“What toxin did you use this time?” Ning Wei asked curiously.

Grinning, Yan Yixuan said, “Remember how I’ve been exchanging toxins and recipes for poison with your lieutenant Ke Jing? I once expressed interest in the toxin he used to cause the former first prince of Sui’s posterior to swell up. Lieutenant Ke naturally gave me a sample and I decided this might be a good time to try it out.”

Ning Wei choked on a laugh. “Oh dear heavens, I wish I could see that Zhuang couple’s reaction after the toxin finishes its ‘beautification’.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled. “Knowing this town’s penchant for gossip, I have no doubt the discovery will draw a crowd. We can sneak in and enjoy the show if you want. Brother Ruan, for one, is definitely not going to pass up on the entertainment.”

Ning Wei laughed and pressed a kiss to his smug little fox. “Ah-Xuan, thank you,” he said softly.

Yan Yixuan blushed. “I only helped my husband vent a bit. There’s no need for gratitude.”

Hugging him with an arm, Ning Wei smiled. “Nevertheless, thank you for caring about me enough to carry out a little heist in the middle of the night just to help me vent. Thank you for loving me.”

Yan Yixuan’s blush deepened and he buried his face in his beloved’s shoulder. “Stop talking like that or I’ll end up having to unleash a certain demonic fox again.”

Ning Wei laughed and pretended to shiver in fear. “Oh no, anything but that.”

Laughing with him, Yan Yixuan shook his head with helpless affection.

The next morning, a great commotion at the physician’s residence attracted a crowd of curious audience.

In a scene reminiscent to the enactment of a horror story, a woman shrieked as she staggered backward, her face pale and eyes fixed on the person in front of her.

The man she was backing away from had a face that had puffed up like a pink dumpling with too much meat filling, ready to burst at any time. His swollen purplish-red lips moved to squeeze out the words, “…Wife…help me…”

The woman, Madam Zhuang, stumbled and fell on her butt. She frantically crawled backward, screaming, “No! Stay away! You’re not my Ah-Mo! You can’t be my husband!” Staggering to her feet, Madam Zhuang sped away, leaving her dignity and loyalty behind with the wind.

The puffy-faced Zhuang Mo reached towards her. “Wait…don’t go!” Since the rest of his body was perfectly fine except for some bruising from the beating, he naturally ran after his wife.

The couple’s figures disappeared into the distance, only the echo of Madam Zhuang’s shriek left behind.

Four people detached from the bustling crowd of bystanders and walked towards the Yan household’s mansion.

“Does it make you feel sad to see your parents like that?” Yan Yixuan asked.

Zhuang Ying pondered. “Maybe a bit. But not enough for me to want to help them or anything. What they did left a permanent scar on their victims yet they’re getting away with just temporary discomfort. It’s fair enough.” Turning to Yan Yixuan, she confirmed, “The effects are temporary, aren’t they?”

The young man nodded. “I used a diluted version so it should wear off within a week.”

Zhuang Ying shrugged. “Then all’s well.”

“I wish I could be there when the effects wear off and your mother has to explain her behavior to your father,” Ruan Shu said wistfully.

Zhuang Ying chortled and elbowed him. “So sadistic!”

Ruan Shu grinned at her.

“By the way, Brother Ruan,” Yan Yixuan called. “I expect you took care of the task I requested of you yesterday night?”

Ruan Shu nodded. “Of course.”

“What task did you give him?” Ning Wei asked curiously.

Yan Yixuan smiled. “Among other things, I asked him to send a message to inform Father-in-law and Master Jin about that woman’s visit. It’s better if they have some time to prepare.”

Ning Wei nodded. His beloved was so thoughtful!

Yan Yixuan and Ruan Shu shared a smile and remained silent. Soon, they reached the mansion and sat down for breakfast.

A few more days later, Yan Yixuan decided he’d vacationed here enough and they set off to the capital with the newest member of their household.

A few days before Yan Yixuan’s group departed, Madam Zhuang, who was unable to look at her unsightly husband, used the divorce proceedings as an excuse and fled to the capital.

↢∘●∘↣

The best private parlors in the Jian family’s famous restaurant were always kept reserved for special guests of the family. Since Ning Guang had mentored the Jian family’s son, Jian Lan, alongside Ning Wei before, when Ning Guang entered the establishment with companions he was led directly to the best parlor and seated with great enthusiasm.

Ning Guang and Master Jin sat on one side of the table while Madam Zhuang occupied the seat opposite to them. After they ordered a few dishes and the server left, the parlor descended into a strange silence.

Master Jin pretended to be unaffected and sipped his tea with stoic poise.

Madam Zhuang had arrived in the capital this morning and Ning Guang accompanied her to officially dissolve their marriage. When Yan Yixuan had sent them a message to inform them of Madam Zhuang’s visit, he had also sent letters that requested the relevant officials to help the divorce along so the matter proceeded with particular ease.

When Ning Guang exited the building with a sour-looking Madam Zhuang and saw Master Jin waiting outside, his face had split into a happy grin. Noticing his beloved’s good mood, Master Jin was relieved.

Master Jin wasn’t jealous or cautious towards his lover’s former wife. She had left Ning Guang’s precious son for dead in an abandoned house when he was but a baby and that in itself would have dispelled any affection the former general might have held for her. Plus, for Ning Guang to have confessed to Master Jin back then must mean that he already had no other feelings towards this woman.

However, Master Jin was worried that seeing this traitorous woman again would upset or sadden his beloved. Now, realizing that getting a divorce had only cheered Ning Guang up, Master Jin was reassured.

Since Madam Zhuang had come to the capital in a hurry she did not have much money, not to mention that she was unfamiliar with this big city after being away all these years. She was tired and hungry from travel but didn’t know where to go.

Taking pity on her, Ning Guang had invited her to lunch with them, which is how the group came to be in the Jian family’s restaurant at this time.

While Madam Zhuang fidgeted and looked around the parlor awkwardly, Ning Guang occupied himself with eating some of the fruits already present on the table to blunt his hunger pangs.

Master Jin silently sipped his tea beside him, his brows furrowed with displeasure. While he was glad that Ning Guang wasn’t badly affected by this woman’s presence, he was still quite dissatisfied with her. Ning Guang was such a considerate, outstanding person. How could she have treated him so badly! He wanted to show her how much happier Ning Guang was without her and rub it in her face! He wanted her to see that there were still people who cherished this man the way he deserved!

And so, Master Jin began deliberately lavishing attention on his lover.

He peeled an orange and held up a slice to Ning Guang’s mouth. “Look at you, already so hungry. I told you to eat a bit more this morning.”

Ning Guang was surprised that his usually reticent lover was actually taking the initiative to show affection while they were outside, but he happily accepted the slice into his mouth nevertheless. There was no way he’d let this rare moment go to waste!

To his surprise Master Jin then wiped the little bit of juice staining Ning Guang’s mouth, his fingers lingering longingly.

Feeling his lips begin to tingle, Ning Guang licked them and tried to keep his thoughts from going astray. He picked up another orange slice from Master Jin’s hand and brought it to his beloved’s mouth. “Here, you have some too.”

Master Jin pursed his lips for a moment then opened his mouth. Ning Guang’s eyes curved with satisfaction. “Look at you, being so good-tempered for once. And here I thought my Jianhao would get bashful again.”

As Ning Guang reciprocated by wiping away the juice on his lips, Master Jin bit his thumb and glared at him. “Who are you calling bashful! I just prefer to maintain manners while outside.”

Ning Guang chuckled as he retrieved his fingers and rubbed them together to dispel the heat imprinted on his thumb. “Yes, yes, Teacher Jin is the pinnacle of refinement.”

“And you’re the pinnacle of shamelessness,” Master Jin returned.

Ning Guang laughed. How could his Jianhao be so adorable!

Seeing the two men flirting with each other, seeming to have forgotten her, Madam Zhuang felt wronged. Her gaze sneakily flicked to Ning Guang. After hearing everything he had gone through, she had expected him to look worn and ugly. But while his face was indeed scarred a little, he seemed to have inexplicably become more attractive.

With the burden of leading an army now gone, along with being surrounded by loving family and a caring lover, Ning Guang had flourished. His natural roguish charm from back in the day had deepened with added layers of maturity. His eyes were bright and lively, his cheerful smile was infectious, and his lively countenance added an uplifting energy to his surroundings. Despite his scarred skin and missing fingers, he glowed with vitality and his appeal had only magnified.

Madam Zhuang felt a vague pang in her chest and looked away uncomfortably. Her gaze landed on her former husband’s partner. But Master Jin’s stern countenance was too forbidding for her to dare and analyze his attractiveness as well. He looked too prestigious and high-brow, how had that brutish Ning Guang even caught him?! Not to mentions, Ning Guang now not only was a lauded hero, so was his son, and even his son-in-law was an eminent personage! In comparison, her family…

Like a jumpscare, the image of her husband’s recent blotchy, bloated, pig-like face leaped into her mind and she hurriedly pushed it away.

As she thought of the husband she’d once looked down on and carelessly threw away for her current one, the vague pang in her heart grew sharper. The man who had once chased after her attentively now seemed so far away in the clouds while she was still trudging on the ground.

Just then the servers arrived with their lunch and set it on the table before retreating. The three ravenous people picked up their chopsticks and dug into the steaming food. The meal, as usual, was too delicious to allow any distraction so the group ate silently.

Once the dishes were cleared, Master Jin leaned his head onto Ning Guang’s shoulder and pulled at his hand. “My stomach feels a bit bloated. Rub it for me.”

Madam Zhuang, “……” Are you just treating me as invisible now?!

Ning Guang, “…!” My Jianhao can actually ask to be pampered?!

Unwilling to miss this even rarer opportunity, Ning Guang hurried to oblige and gently soothed his lover’s belly. Master Jin narrowed his eyes with pleasure.

Ning Guang couldn’t help but wonder what was up with his beloved today. This forwardness was too uncharacteristic! He studied Master Jin’s expression and saw him glance casually at Madam Zhuang. Ning Guang followed his gaze and witnessed Madam Zhuang’s uncomfortable expression, as if she couldn’t bear to look straight at their displays of affection. Ning Guang turned back just in time to see a trace of satisfaction and smugness flashing past Master Jin’s eyes.

Ning Guang froze as understanding crashed into him. His lover wanted to take revenge on her by showing how much in love they were? Ning Guang barely suppressed his smile. His Jianhao really was too adorable!

Since this was the case, how about he lend him a hand?

And so, Ning Guang joined forces with Master Jin to produce more dog food.

“You were waiting for me to finish the proceedings for so long, your leg must be aching,” Ning Guang said and pulled Master Jin’s weak leg onto his lap. As Master Jin blinked at him incredulously, Ning Guang grinned and began massaging the leg. “Does it feel better now, Jianhao?”

Master Jin froze and nodded stiffly.

Ning Guang leaned closer and murmured. “Good.” His warm breath fanned over the side of Master Jin’s neck and face. His long fingers kneaded Master Jin’s thigh with familiar motions, wandering up and down, the ministrations both comfortable and provocative.

Master Jin swallowed.

Madam Zhuang, “……” Now I’m beginning to doubt if I really became invisible.

After a couple of minutes, Master Jin remembered that Ning Guan’s fingers had just recently recovered from their injuries and hurried pulled them up. “What are you using your hands so much for when they just got better? Here, give them to me. I’ll massage them for a bit so they won’t get sore.”

Suppressing a smile, Ning Guang extended his hands and teased, “Mn, all of me belongs to you anyway so take whatever you want, just like you did last night.”

Master Jin barely held back from blushing. “Shut up! What are you talking about in broad daylight!”

Ning Guang let out a husky laugh that caused Master Jin’s ears to tingle. He huffed and ignored what he was sure must be his lover’s attempts at seduction and forced all his attention onto the task of attending to the hands offered to him.

Ning Guang squinted his eyes happily and let his beloved knead his fingers with practiced care.

Master Jin perceived the affectionate humor still dancing in his lover’s gaze and suddenly realized that his actions had been seen through. Embarrassed at his petty behavior being revealed, he pretended to glare at him. “What are you looking at me like that for?”

“I’m naturally looking at the most handsome man in the world,” Ning Guang spoke without a shred of shame and pecked Master Jin on his jaw. Seeing the flush climbing up his beloved’s neck, Ning Guang grinned. “Oh my, you’re all red now. Looks like my Jianhao is ripe enough to pick and eat.”

Master Jin blushed harder. “Ning Guang!”

“What is it, my beloved?” he answered, his hands having slid out of Master Jin’s hold at some time to wind around him.

Master Jin grew flustered enough to lose his train of thought. This shameless man! But being looked at by him with that mix of desire and love was so disarming and intoxicating… Why was he angry at him again? He couldn’t remember.

The harsh scrape of a chair being pushed back broke the increasingly amorous atmosphere.

“Thank you for the lunch. I-I’ll be leaving now!” Madam Zhuang hurried out of the parlor as if her pig-faced husband was chasing her again.

Traumatized, she didn’t dare to stay another day in the capital and decided to directly head back to the town. She’d rather see her husband’s unsightly, swollen face than feel the bitterness of eating her former husband and his partner’s dog food!

Back in the private parlor, Ning Guang chuckled and asked, “Satisfied?”

Master Jin looked away and stated, “I have no idea what you mean.”

Ning Guang laughed and gave him a kiss on his mouth this time. “Want to continue where we left off?”

Shooting him a look of reproach, Master Jin stood up. “Do you think we’re your son and my student? As an elder, show some propriety when we’re outside!”

Ning Guang pouted.

Master Jin went on, “Come, we’re returning home. We can continue there.”

Ning Guang perked up. “I knew my Jianhao wouldn’t wrong me!”

Master Jin coughed. “Shut up!”

Poking his beloved’s reddened ears, Ning Guang laughed and happily followed him out.

Meanwhile, the unfortunate Madam Zhuang who had intended to leave the capital was visited with further misfortune.

As she walked towards the capital’s gates, someone bumped into her and almost caused her to lose her bag and stumble into a pile of animal dung. When she reached the gates and was about to take out her papers to show them, she was asked to hand over her luggage to be checked by the guards. Apparently, a thief had stolen a priceless painting from a noble household and it was suspected that the thief would try to get the painting out of the capital using an accomplice.

Madam Zhuang impatiently let the guards check her bag and was rushing them to be finish with it quickly since she wanted to leave before evening, when―

―The guards actually found an old, unfamiliar scroll in her bag that they claimed was that stolen painting!

Madam Zhuang was flabbergasted.

But no matter how much she pleaded or insisted that she didn’t know how it got there, the guards didn’t believe her and locked her up with grim faces. After asking her for her family’s contact information, they left her in the dingy little cell.

Madam Zhuang held the metal bars and slumped down on the dirty straw in a daze.

Who could tell her what was going on?!

Yan Yixuan naturally could, but he didn’t plan to bother.

Soon after Madam Zhuang’s arrival and abrupt imprisonment, Yan Yixuan returned home with his family.

As usual, Ning Guang had invited Yan Yixuan for a little spar. Master Jin sat at the side with arms folded, his medicine bag beside him. Ruan Shu had just left with Ning Wei after informing the general that a few documents had arrived for his purview and were waiting for him in the study. Zhuang Ying was off familiarizing herself with her extended family at the Ning household.

In the practice field, Ning Guang swung his wooden sword yet again to continue pushing his opponent. Yan Yixuan met the blow with his own practice blade in time, but he was forced to take another step back due to the force.

The young man glanced behind him and realized he was almost at the edge of the field, right by a neat pile of leaves and stones that had just been cleared away from the ground for the bout. Unwilling to be forced off the field, Yan Yixuan angled his blade to let his opponent’s sword slide off. He ducked to evade the next swing and swept his leg out. Ning Guang brought his arms up barely in time to shield his face from the stones kicked at him and swiftly retreated.

Yan Yixuan hopped away from the edge of the field and sliced his blade at his opponent’s unprotected stomach, but Ning Guang shied to the side while jabbing his own blade at him to push him away. Yan Yixuan skipped back nimbly but ended up stepping on one of the loose stones he’d just kicked out and stumbled.

Yan Yixuan fell backward and landed hard on his elbow. He hissed in pain.

Seeking to take advantage of his brief lapse in attention, Ning Guang quickly brought his sword down, only for the blade to be clamped between Yan Yixuan’s feet with a fluidity that said the young man had expected this move. Yan Yixuan smiled. Before Ning Guang could pull his blade back, Yan Yixuan twisted his feet to wrench away the sword and throw it, then leapt to his feet, blade pointed at his opponent.

Ning Guang raised his hands in surrender and laughed. “Since the criteria for this match was to see who could take away the other’s weapon first, you win.”

Yan Yixuan lowered his weapon and said humbly, “Father-in-law went easy on me.”

“You’re being too generous,” Ning Guang said with a grin. “How much of that did you plan? That fall was definitely premeditated, wasn’t it?”

The young man shrugged. “Yes. I also controlled the direction of my retreat to end up by the pile of cleared stones. With my physical fitness, I’d have no hope of taking on someone as skilled as the former general of the empire without some tricks up my sleeve.”

Ning Guang laughed again, delighted. It was invigorating to fight against this son-in-law of his and see what all schemes he could pull up.

Sitting under the eaves, Master Jin sighed. “Yixuan, come here and show me what new injuries you’ve added to your collection.”

With a chagrined look, Yan Yixuan gave his practice sword to Ning Guang to put away and went to stand before his teacher. “Just my elbow this time.”

“Show me,” Master Jin grunted and opened his medicine bag.

Yan Yixuan obediently pushed up his sleeve. The inside of the sleeve was bloody and his elbow was scraped raw.

Ning Guang shook his head and said, “If you have the wherewithal to plot for victory, you should also be able to choose a method that won’t end up with you getting hurt. Why be so hard on yourself, brat?”

Yan Yixuan gave him a confused glance. “But isn’t this training to prepare for real fights? Since I might not be able to avoid injuries then, isn’t it better to make it more realistic when we spar?”

Ning Guang could only smile helplessly.

As Master Jin began cleaning and applying medicine on Yan Yixuan’s elbow, Ning Guang saw the young man’s stubbornly calm expression that refused to show any hint of pain and sighed. His son-in-law was so unlike the brash and expressive youngsters of his age. Even his own son hadn’t been this overly well-behaved.

The first time Ning Guang had invited Yan Yixuan to a spar, he had been confused why his Jianhao had insisted on sitting at the side with his medicine bag while wearing a resigned look. Wasn’t it just a small sparring session? There shouldn’t be any injury conspicuous enough to need treating, should it?

But after the match, seeing the scrapes on the young man’s palm and the bleeding cut on his cheek, Ning Guang understood.

Yan Yixuan took these matches too seriously.

Ning Guang felt wry. He had thought that after everything he’d been through, he’d be the one with the most survival oriented mindset. Yan Yixuan proved him wrong, and he continued to do so each time they fought.

Ning Guang could only sigh again and think: No wonder. As the young man’s tutor, his Jianhao must have already noticed this proclivity and knew to come prepared. His beloved had it hard too. He must remember to make it up to him in private later.

Unknowing of his lover’s thoughts going crooked as usual, Master Jin had started wrapping up Yan Yixuan’s injury.

Just then, Ning Wei strode back with papers in hand and a complex expression on his face. He shook the papers, causing them to rustle, and asked, “Ah-Xuan, you arranged this?”

Yan Yixuan was unsurprised and smiled at him playfully. “Whatever could you mean?”

“What happened?” Ning Guang came over to ask curiously after putting aside the practice blades.

Ning Wei coughed awkwardly. “It’s about the Zhuang couple. The document that was sent for me to look over has to do with them, and…I don’t know what to think.”

Master Jin turned to his mischievous student with a frown. “What did you do this time?”

“Nothing much, really,” Yan Yixuan replied casually. “I just wanted to help teach that couple some good behavior.”

The other three looked at him with three identical expressions of disbelief.

“Violence is never the solution, Son-in-law,” Ning Guang immediately entreated.

“I expect my students to know better than to do anything that breaks the law too obviously,” Master Jin stated.

“Does our underground dungeon have more special guests now?” Ning Wei asked inquisitively.

Yan Yixuan didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. He quickly waved a hand. “No, no, nothing so extreme. Why does it seem like you all have very low expectations of my ability to do things without causing bodily harm?”

The three men chose to remain silent and let their doubtful expressions speak in their stead.

Hiding his amusement, the young man blinked innocently and insisted, “It’s true. My only purpose was to be educational.”

“How exactly did you ‘educate’ them?” Ning Guang asked.

Yan Yixuan shrugged and answered, “I’m not sure if you’re aware, but after the divorce proceedings Madam Zhuang happened to run into some bad luck. A very expensive painting drawn by a famous scholar of a past dynasty had gone missing a few days ago and the gate guards were running checks on all who were leaving the capital. They coincidentally found the painting scroll in Madam Zhuang’s bag.”

“Coincidentally, hm?” Ning Wei asked dryly.

Yan Yixuan nodded with an angelic smile. “Mn, it was completely coincidental.”

All three of the audience members listening to Storyteller Yan’s tale of bullshit already knew who it was that planted that scroll in the woman’s bag.

Ning Wei thought back to when his husband sent a message to the capital while in the town and realized that instructions about planting the scroll on the woman must’ve been conveyed back then itself. He bet the household that had ‘lost’ the scroll was allied closely enough with Yan Yixuan to go along with this scheme.

“What happened to her then?” Ning Guang prodded with a smile.

Yan Yixuan dutifully continued, “She protested that someone had bumped into her on the way to the gate and it must have been that person who slipped the scroll into her bag. But why would a thief who went through the trouble of stealing a well-guarded treasure just give it away to a random woman on the street? The judiciary officials naturally didn’t believe her and suspected that she was an accomplice who was meant to sneak the loot out of the city.

“Madam Zhuang was thus taken to the judiciary office and detained but she refused to cooperate and reveal anything about her accomplices. Since the stolen object was of great monetary and historic value, she was sentenced quite harshly. Her family was then informed about it.

“Master Zhuang rushed to the capital but was unable to find a way to resolve his wife’s predicament. The painting was invaluable so he would have to pay steep fines to appease the victimized family enough for them to free his wife of her charges. However, he couldn’t gather that much money even if he spent a lifetime working, much less on such short notice.

“It was at this time that their daughter, Miss Zhuang, came to know of their circumstances. She filially offered to pay back all the money her parents spent on her so far so that her father could put it towards the fine. But even that wasn’t enough, so Miss Zhuang suggested that her father could request money from the only affluent people they knew in the capital: the Yan household and the Ning household.

“But Master Zhuang naturally couldn’t show his face at the Ning household, not just because it was swollen into a pig’s face, but rather because of his disgraceful actions of stealing Father-in-law’s wife. So it only left the Yan household. However, Master Zhuang staunchly protested that he would rather abandon his own wife than lower his head to those who had humiliated his family.

“This attitude didn’t last long unfortunately. Soon after, he was told that due to his connection to his wife, the judiciary office was looking at him with suspicion and was thinking of detaining him for questioning as well. With no other option, he stood outside the Yan household’s gates and repeatedly requested an audience. Unwilling to disturb my husband, I invited him for a meal outside. Master Zhuang told me his troubles and accused me of targeting them then demanded I resolve the issue.”

Yan Yixuan sighed as if greatly saddened by the accusation. “I naturally professed my innocence and graciously agreed to help them, both monetarily and spiritually.”

The three audience members, “……” We bet you did.

Yan Yixuan continued, “Due to their lacking character that made light of the struggles of soldiers at the frontlines, I decided the best way to guide them would be to let them experience a fraction of that. So I extended a generous proposal.

“As you are all aware, part of the empire’s border is currently a battlefield between the border forces and bandit groups, who are trying to take advantage of the destabilizing effects of the war to pillage the small settlements there. Since the victim of the painting’s theft coincidentally happens to be a close ally of mine, I agreed to convince them to release all charges against Madam Zhuang. But only if the Zhuang couple signs a contract with me stating that they will serve at the bandit-infested border for three years, either as soldiers or by doing odd jobs.”

Ning Wei let out a bark of laughter while Ning Guang and Master Jin suppressed their amusement. How brutally fitting!

Continuing to look wronged, Yan Yixuan went on, “However, Master Zhuang seemed to find my offer offensive and started screaming obscenities about military people’s lack of refinement and whatnot again. But since I chose Lieutenant Jian’s restaurant, which happens to be the best acclaimed establishment of its kind in that area, there were plenty of people who served or were related to those who served in the war.

“After they all took turns physically educating Master Zhuang on how some things shouldn’t be said, I helpfully warned him that the place he and his wife were going to be deployed to was similarly full of soldiers. If he talked badly about them or one of their generals, he would no doubt receive an even more thorough and impactful physical education. Unfortunately, he didn’t seem to appreciate my reminder.

“Dejected that my efforts at being helpful weren’t being appreciated, I mentioned it to the judicial office and the officials there grew full of righteous indignation on my behalf. They must have thought me pitiful and ended up putting some pressure on the Zhuang couple.”

The three audience members showed their sympathy by staring at him speechlessly while thinking, Pitiful? Don’t you mean scary?!

Yan Yixuan blithely continued speaking, “After being left with no choice and suitably motivated by the kind officers’ encouragement, the Zhuang couple was spurred to agree to my terms and expressed their willingness to sign the contract. But since the contract involved military matters and the general happened to be staying in the capital, a document requesting his permission to add personnel to the border camp was sent to him.”

The young man blinked at them and asked smilingly, “Wasn’t I generous?”

Ning Wei dutifully pretended to wipe away a tear and exclaimed, “My husband is so magnanimous! Despite how they disrespected you and refused to understand your good intentions, you still lent a helping hand, even putting so much thought into reforming their evil hearts. How touching!”

Ning Guang and Master Jin, “……”

They had never felt more strongly that these two deserved to be husbands.

Ning Wei smugly thought how Master Zhuang would now have to stay in an environment where he’d have to hear people praise his father, yet would be unable to speak a single bad word in return. That ought to condition that infuriating tongue of his to not spew anymore nonsense. And that proud woman beside him who could only selfishly think of herself while his father fought for his life every day would finally discover a glimpse of how difficult his father had had it.

He would see how that couple belittled what soldiers went through after this.

Of course, Ning Wei had no doubt that Yan Yixuan had assigned people to watch the couple to make sure they didn’t attempt anything stupid like running away or betraying the camp. If they tried the former, they’d surely find themselves in worse straits than before. And if they tried the latter… According to military law they would simply be executed as traitors, their bodies disposed off without a burial.

After all this, it was inevitable for Master Zhuang to blame his wife for pulling him into this mess. Meanwhile, Madam Zhuang would most likely lose what attraction she’d felt for him after the grueling work at the border affected his pale, delicate appearance adversely. If they managed to stay together despite everything then good for them. But if they split apart, as was more likely, it would nullify the very reason they hurt Ning Wei and his father, which was to get together. There couldn’t be a more fitting punishment.

Ruan Shu arrived right at that time with a brush and inkstone with the ink already prepared. He offered them to Ning Wei with a knowing look. “I figured you might need them, General.”

Ning Wei nodded. Wetting the brush with ink, he decisively approved the documents and gave them to Ruan Shu along with the writing implements to take back to the study.

Turning to his husband, Ning Wei smiled. “I should’ve expected you to plan something like this. My only regret is that I wasn’t there to appreciate that surnamed Zhuang getting flustered and desperate or join in on beating him up at the restaurant.”

Ning Guang laughed in merry agreement while Master Jin shook his head with a small smile and closed his medicine bag.

The low thrum of anxiety Yan Yixuan had been feeling finally eased.

“Why didn’t you tell me what you were going to do?” Ning Wei asked curiously.

Yan Yixuan peeked up at his beloved through his lashes and explained, “You already seemed satisfied with our retaliation so far so I didn’t know if you’d think doing all this was excessive. I also didn’t want you to feel guilty or responsible for that Zhuang couple’s fate. But I didn’t want to go behind your back, so I ended up handing over the final decision to you.”

Smiling warmly, Ning Wei rubbed the young man’s bowed head. “I don’t think it’s excessive at all. It’s very appropriate and even more satisfying this way. Even if I was fully satisfied before, I still wouldn’t blame you for this. After all, you deserve to take your own revenge for how your husband and father-in-law were wronged.”

Yan Yixuan couldn’t contain his relief and hugged his husband. Rubbing against Ning Wei sweetly, he said, “My Ah-Wei always treats me the best.”

Ning Wei kissed the top of his beloved’s head and replied just as sweetly, “How can that be? It’s my Ah-Xuan that’s always going above and beyond to scheme like this to make me feel better.”

Yan Yixuan smiled and looked up lovingly. “Who told you to be so good?”

Ning Wei’s gaze was saturated with adoration as he returned, “How could I not be good to such an adorable fox of a husband?”

Sinking into the soft pools of Ning Wei’s eyes, Yan Yixuan found his cheeks flushing with warmth. Ning Wei was likewise lost in his beloved’s gaze brimming with fond devotion. Licking his lips, Ning Wei parted them to let out a heated breath and leaned forward. Yan Yixuan tilted his head back, mouth opening in silent welcome.

When their lips met, the rest of the world ceased to exist.

Ning Guang watched the two passionate youngsters amusedly. Master Jin averted his gaze politely and pulled his own beloved by the arm and walked away to give the smooching couple their privacy.

Today was yet another beautiful day full of blooming spring flowers at the Yan household.

 

Mini Theater

Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei are sitting on the back porch, soaking up the sun. The young man is stroking a docile grey snake curled up on his lap while his gaze is distant as if pondering something. The mood is languid and peaceful.

Ning Wei, quietly: What are you thinking about, Ah-Xuan?

Yan Yixuan: Say, I could have someone sneak some venomous scorpions into that Zhuang couple’s shoes in the military camp and…

Ning Wei, jolting upright: No, don’t!

Yan Yixuan, nodding absentmindedly: You’re right. My poor pets don’t deserve to be crushed to death by their stinky feet.

Ning Wei is relieved.

Yan Yixuan, bestowing an affectionate glance on the snake: So how about sneaking some vipers into their robes instead?

Ning Wei: ……

Ning Wei: Definitely not.

Yan Yixuan, nodding again: Indeed. I don’t want them to end up flinging the poor things away and hurt them.

Ning Wei knows better than to let his guard down now. Sure enough, Yan Yixuan isn’t out of ideas yet.

Yan Yixuan, contemplatively: I should probably use creatures I don’t care about instead. How about gifting them the thrilling surprise of a nice and plump hornet’s nest under their bedcovers?

Ning Wei: ……

He expressionlessly takes the snake from his husband’s lap and sets it aside, then hoists Yan Yixuan up by his waist and heads towards their bedroom.

Yan Yixuan, blinking: Ah-Wei? What are you doing?

Ning Wei, solemnly: I’m employing distraction tactics before you decide to unleash a horde of venomous creatures on one of my camps.

Yan Yixuan, laughing: Oh? Then I hope you have suitable methods of distraction already prepared.

Ning Wei, smirking: Of course. Since you like snakes so much, I’m sure you’d like to explore mine with your body. Slowly, carefully, all afternoon, until you forget all about other types of snakes.

Yan Yixuan, blushing and chortling: I suppose whether I forget or not will depend on how deeply you can make my body appreciate it. Or how well your mouth can appreciate mine.

In the meantime, the little grey snake left on the porch decides to go exploring the mansion, leaving shrieks and fleeing people in its wake, while Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei are too busy ‘capturing’ a different type snake belonging to their husband to notice the chaos.

Ruan Shu, pushing up his sleeves with a sigh: It’s just another hectic day in this household where the master of the house is seduced away by beauty and I have to deal with the trouble left behind.

 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter~ (৹´ ꒳ `৹) I reckon there'll be three more extras till this story wraps up. See you at the next update! (๑⁀ ▿ ⁀๑)/

9