Chapter 5 – Rendezvous
1.9k 4 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Surprise! New chapter at the beginning of the story. I know this is confusing, but unfortunately scribblehub is bad, and the chapter won't show up on the recent updates page unless I tack this on at the end. So just keep in mind, this is a brand new chapter 5. This is part of an longer project I was working on to rewrite the first arc of the Restraints/Redemptions, only, as it turns out, it got a little out of hand. Stay tuned for the author note at the end if you want even more Restraints/Redemptions, cause, oh boy, is there ever more.

Elaine was a mess, kind of. Deep down she knew she actually looked fine, but that didn’t keep the less constructive parts of her mind from insisting she looked like some sort of bog creature. She hurried along the sidewalk, taking long, purposeful strides, praying Allie wouldn’t be too mad she was running late. Around twenty minutes before leaving Elaine had shot Allie a text letting her know she was going to be late, but there hadn’t been any reply yet. Rounding a corner, Elaine’s destination came into view, at the sight of it she nearly broke into a jog. She must have looked very silly doing an Olympic speed-walk toward a swanky steakhouse in her long, slitted backless red dress and four-inch stilettos, but countless bus trips in dominatrix gear had made Elaine no stranger to appearing out of place. She pushed passed a crowd of customers waiting for a table, thrust open the door, and nearly collided with Allie, who was waiting in line for the hostess. 

 

Elaine practically skidded to a halt, nearly tripping on her own feet and hissing a sharp intake of breath. For her part, Allie seemed not to notice the commotion behind her, instead seemingly very nervously fiddling with nothing at all, she was stiff, almost hunched, had she been running late too? If that were that case wouldn’t she have sent a text of her own? These were ultimately questions likely best left for Allie, lest the catastrophizing parts of Elaine’s mind take over and tell her all the things that could be wrong, but Elaine suddenly found herself feeling quite awkward. Allie had already pushed back the date and Elaine still hadn’t made it on time, and yeah, that wasn’t her fault but Allie wouldn’t know that. And what if Allie noticed what a mess she was? She would think Elaine was a either complete slob or that she was so apathetic toward this date that she couldn’t even be bothered to get properly ready and--. 

 

Suddenly, as though pulled by some hidden instinct, Allie turned. Her gaze found Elaine, and Allie’s face lit up with happiness, in an instant all of Elaine’s doubts were burned away by the glow of her smile. She looked so gorgeous, living up to her soft butch aesthetic with a form fitting, trim navy blazer and matching slacks over a deep burgondy button up shirt. It hugged and accentuated her curves so enticingly, and perfectly matched the deep blue, nearly black lipstick she wore. 

 

“Elaine I -- I’m so sorry I’m late even after I pushed this back I just--.” The nerves in Allie’s voice told Elaine all she needed to hear, and she wouldn’t allow any such insecurity in her date.

 

“Hey, don’t worry about it, why do you think I’m standing behind you? If you hadn’t just told me you were late I would have assumed this place was just busy and our reservation didn’t play out.” She flashed a nervous smile and Allie’s tension melted.

 

“Oh, right. Yeah that makes sense. Gosh I feel dumb now, I was just really worried about being late, I was certain you’d be mad at me.” The way she blushed and turned away at her admittance made Elaine just want to take the poor girl in her arms and sooth her, but then again, they were on a date. Elaine could do just that, and she would, when the opportunity presented itself.

 

“You’re not the only one who couldn’t get over her nerves, can you believe for a minute there I thought you’d actually not want to spend time with me anymore when I showed up a few minutes late?” Elaine confessing that seemed to lighten Allie’s mood a little, she seemed to take great solace in the fact that she wasn’t the only one acting a fool. She rushed to return Elaine’s own reassurance.

 

“Why would I ever do that? Elaine I’ve been unable to get this date out of my head all week.”  She admitted with a confidence previously absent. Allie took Elaine’s hand and turned to stand beside her, laying her head upon Elaine’s shoulder.

 

“Yeah. Me too.” Elaine wrapped her arms around Allie’s midsection, who leaned back into the embrace eagerly, letting her Elaine support her weight as they idly waited their turn at the front. Speaking of which, that was taking longer than either would have liked, who ever could have foreseen a fancy new steakhouse being busy on a Friday night? Still, slowly, but persistently, the line flowed ever forward, and with Allie in her arms Elaine found the wait more than bearable. They approached the front, and a hostess dressed in a black vest and white button up greeted them with a practiced customer service smile. Before she could bother greeting them properly Allie cut in.

 

“Hello there, Reservation for Allie Taylor at eight.” She had this odd, smooth, almost wannabe suave affect to her tone that brimmed with manufactured confidence. The hostess skimmed her tablet with a pensive expression,, glancing up at Allie a few times, then flashed her an apologetic frown.

 

“I’m sorry miss Tailor, I’m seeing your eight o’clock right here, but it’s nearly eight-thirty, we don’t really hang on to reservations that long, I’m sorry to say that we gave away your table. And honestly, looking at this wait-list I’m not sure we can squeeze you in before closing.” Her tone was a well-honed performative apology lightly garnished with an air of ‘what kind of place do you think this even is why would you show up this late?’ which surfaced for air from time to time. Allie seemed lost, a little stunned and desperate. 

 

“B-but we’ve been planning this date for over a week.” The geniality she’d worn like an ill-fitting suit was gone, replaced by a trembling whine. Elaine may have found it cute if her date weren’t clearly so distressed. 

 

“I’m sorry miss Tailor, we can’t make exceptions,” the hostess replied firmly, “if you’d like to make a reservation for another day you can, but we must insist you keep it this time.” That bitch. Hoping to save Allie any further embarrassment, Elaine lowered her hand to the small of Allie’s back and leaned close to whisper into her ear. 

 

“Hey, it’s alright, we don’t need to go to some fancy steakhouse to have a nice night. You’re all I’m here to see,” Elaine muttered reassuringly, guiding Allie away and out into the night without another word to the hostess. Once outside, Allie hunched forward in defeat, staring at her shoes. 

 

“Elaine, I’m sorry, I should have been on time, I ruin--”

“Don’t even think about finishing that sentence.” Elaine cut in, with a bit more gusto than she intended causing Allie to flinch. “God, we’re both really out of it tonight aren’t we?” She chuckled. “Listen to me, Allie. I meant what I said, I don’t give a fuck about some stupid upscale steakhouse, those places aren’t really my scene anyway, I just want to spend time with you.”

 

“Really? But you’re so, so I -- I don’t know. You’re so cool and in control and poised. You always felt so unattainable and classy I thought, I wanted to impress you, you know?” As Allie spoke all Elaine could think about was just how adorable her eagerness was, but at the same time she simply wouldn’t allow the poor girl to think she’d ruined their night for even a moment longer. 

 

“Allie, when have I ever seemed classy? Most of our nights together I spend spanking you and calling you a slut, something you pay me to do. How does that make me seem like the kind of person who frequents places where the plates run in the hundreds?” Despite her somewhat silly reply, Elaine was shooting for one-hundred percent earnest. And somehow, Allie got it, blushing and stammering out an awkward reply.

 

“I dunno, I just -- I wanted you to think highly of me.”

 

“Allie I already think the world of you, what’s gotten into you?” She brought herself in close, standing face to face with Allie and gazing intently into her eyes.

 

“Nothing’s gotten into me, I’ve just never felt the need to be someone for you, y’know? This is the first time we’re together and I’m not paying you to be here and I’m worried I won’t be good enough.” Oh, Allie, you sweet little dumbass. Elaine wasted no time perishing those doubts.

 

“Well, if you want to pay me to be here I won’t say no.” She giggled, then grew more serious once more as she took the girls hand in her own, squeezing it gently. “But listen to me, Allie, seriously. I’m crazy about you, I’ve been crazy about you for weeks now. Do you have any idea how nervous I was for tonight? I didn’t actually finish getting ready tonight and I was terrified you’d think me some kind of slob who was both late and a complete mess to look at.”

 

“Well that’s ridiculous, you’re as gorgeous as ever, though I must say I think you look better from below.” She shot back with a giggle.

 

“Oh, I guess we’re done with self pity now, are we? Jeez, from ‘woe is me’ to ‘sit on me’ just like that.” Elaine smirked down at Allie, trying her best to lay on just a thin layer of her seductive drawl, without going too far and letting things get down-right horny. She wouldn’t want Allie to start quivering in the middle of the street.

 

“I mean, I wouldn’t mind.” Ah, right. Elaine reminded herself. She’s a fucking brat, how could I have forgotten?

 

“What makes you think I put out on the first date? I’m a good girl, Allie.” Elaine grinned, the tension between the two of them having completely dissolved into the typical flirty banter she enjoyed so thoroughly.

 

“Oh I know, you’re a very good girl, Elaine.” Allie’s voice grew low and husky, as she leaned in close, making eyes at her date.

 

“That’s my line,” Elaine said flatly. Allie burst into a fit of laughter, and Elaine rolled her eyes, pinching Allies’ arm affectionately as the smaller girl yelped in surprise and laughed even harder. “By the way, where are we going?” She gestured vaguely out onto the street before them. 

 

“I know a good cheapo taqueria nearby, we’ll look like absolute fools the way we’re dressed, but going there will save us a few hundred bucks.” Allie pointed off toward a nearby intersection, and offered Elaine her arm, which Elaine gladly took as the two set off toward their destination.

 

“Sounds good to me, just don’t judge me for how I look under fluorescent lighting, I was expecting a mood-lit steakhouse and skimped on the makeup.” At Elaine’s words, Allie seemed to grow a little tense as a thought appeared to cross her mind that creased her brow and stiffened her shoulders. Elaine frowned, there was definitely something going on, every time she got Allie to relax some new thing would crop up.

 

“Something wrong?” She asked, the concern in her voice unmistakable.

 

“Oh, uh, no sorry, just remembered something I have to take care of.” Allie replied hurriedly.

 

“I see, well, I hope everything’s okay. Between pushing this back and also being late uh, well, did something happen? Not that I’m mad or anything I’m just worried about you.” She rushed to add that last part, worried Allie may latch on to her question in the wrong way.

 

“Oh right well, I had a thing. My friend, she was um, she was trying to sell her art. So I was helping her find someone to take it off her hands for her.” There was a hesitance in her tone, the way she seemed to deliberate over her story a little too much was not at all like her. Elaine gave her a concerned glance and Allie continued, almost hurriedly. “Right and then the reason I was actually late is cause well, we uh, we got into a fight.” It was subtle, but just for a moment another bit of panic flashed across Allie’s face, and she rushed to correct herself. “An argument, not like a fight fight. There was no hitting involved. Uh, what about you?” The way she uttered that last question told Elaine she was desperate to change the subject, which was concerning, but Elaine decided to leave it alone, for the time being. If Allie had something she needed to talk about, she would talk about it. Besides, Elaine had bigger problems: namely coming up with a convincing lie. Luckily, she had a few on file, she was a professional, after all.

 

“I had an unwanted guest in my apartment.” She murmured, then quickly realized what a terrible start she’d gotten off to as Allie’s eyes widened in concern. “Oh no, nothing like that. It was a rat. I had to chase off this rat that found itself where it didn’t belong.” A small part of her brain reminded her that this story was one she came up with as some bitter internal ironic joke, a joke that wasn’t nearly as funny now that she had newfound respect for the woman she was referring to as unwanted vermin. Still, the story seemed to work, and left Allie giggling. She  relaxed into Elaine’s shoulder as they strolled along the brightly lit streets. “What are you laughing at?” Elaine said with a mock pout.

 

“Oh, just thinking about the very composed, in control woman I pay to dominate me standing on a chair with a broom shooing a rat away like a pearl-clutching housewife in some old cartoon.” She brought her arms over her head and mimed gripping a broom then swinging it down clumsily. 

 

“Hey! I never said I did any of that.”

 

“Too late, the image is already cemented in my brain.” She tapped the side of her head for emphasis and flashed Elaine a shit-eating grin.

 

The rest of their walk went smoothly, Elaine found herself somewhat amazed at just how natural spending time with Allie could be after such a tumultuous evening, but she had a way of making everything else seem less important. As it turned out, Allie was not entirely right about just how nearby the taqueria in question was, she had severely underestimated the size of the district they were in, still, Allie could keep Elaine walking up and down the streets all night and only her stomach might take issue. About half an hour later, they arrived at their destination, indeed looking very unusual in their formal attire at a dingy hole in the wall place, but that was hardly either of their problems.

 

They found a little table, gorging themselves on chips and salsa, as well as a veritable platter of tacos, enjoying the simple act of being in one another’s presence. Unfortunately, Elaine’s mood was shaken when, under the bright lights of the restaurant, she spotted what appeared to be a very nasty bruise just under Allie’s left eye, hidden under a heavy coating of foundation and concealer. The protective hero instinct within her swelled, if anyone had hurt Allie she would make them pay.

 

“Hey, Allie? I’m sorry if this is a bad time to bring this up but, what happened to your eye? This wasn’t that fight you mentioned, was it?” At mention of the bruise, Allie froze, hand drifting slowly to the her face as though checking the mark was still there. 

 

“I -- um. No. Look I know I’m not gonna sound convincing to you, but I don’t have any kind of abusive friend or relative or partner or ex or whatever who hits me. And I can’t really tell you what actually happened, I’d be betraying someone’s trust if I did. Will you let me have this one secret for now? When the time comes if you’re still curious I can tell you more, just, not tonight please.” What surprised Elaine most was just how collected Allie seemed delivering that explanation. Especially given how on the spot she seemed at first. And it wasn’t Elaine’s place to push where she wasn’t welcome to push, so she decided to take Allie’s word for it.

 

That did, however, leave a bit of an uncomfortable lull in the conversation, one Elaine realized she would need to fill. She knew this would probably be a good time to get to know Allie more beyond the playful client/mistress relationship they’d formed, unfortunately she was the absolute worst at those scripted first date topics. That didn’t stop her from fumbling her way through an attempt, though.

 

“So, uh. This is super awkward I think cause well, we’ve known eachother for over a month now but I don’t think I ever asked and I feel kinda dumb for not asking, but what is it you do, exactly? For money I mean?” Real smooth, Elaine. 

 

“Wondering how I pay for your services?” At least Allie seemed to take her misguided attempt at conversation well. But Elaine wasn’t expecting teasing, and react in kind.

 

“No, no god no I just.” She blurted out desperately, before seeing the grin on her date’s face and slumping forward in embarrassment. Now it was Allie’s turn to be the cool one.

 

“Relax, Elaine, gosh who knew you of all people would get this flustered. I’m a bit of a freelancer, I guess. For the most part I help out my sister with her work.” Her response seemed almost deliberately vague, Elaine wanted to know more, but didn’t want to pry too much. Everyone was entitled to a few secrets, after all. She knew that better than anyone.

 

“What’s your sister do?” She replied carefully.

 

“She got contracted out by this biotech to help with this technology they’re working on. She’s pretty independent and got me on the NDA, so I’m kind of an assistant. A lot goes into it. I research for her, help her out around the lab, find out where we can get the stuff she needs, find out who might sell to us, for how much. And then if the price is no good, I negotiate for her until we find something suitable. For the most part, she’s the idea gal, I’m the face.” She cupped her cheeks and chin with open palms, resting her elbows on the table in some gesture of ‘look at me and my pretty face, don’t I make a good face?’ Elaine stifled a throaty laugh.

 

“Is that where you developed that oh so convincing high class affect you put on at the restaurant? Doing big important deals?” She quipped, Allie gave her a look of mock offense, exaggeratedly bringing her hand to her mouth as she leaned back and gasped.

 

“I’ll have you know that people find me very charming. Thank you very much. And what about you, Elaine? What makes you so special? Or do you just tie people up full time?” Her tone was a caricature of the most haughty, dismissive WASP to have ever existed ever. Elaine rolled her eyes and fought back a smile.

 

“Well, no. I’m something of a freelancer myself. But I’m between second jobs for now. Not to worry, I make plenty tying people up.” She wasn’t entirely lying, part of being a superheroine was, in fact, tying people up, even if Slipspace tended to let them go in the end. “Am I allowed to know what kind of stuff you and your sister are working on? I know there’s an NDA and all but may as well ask. She must be pretty well regarded.” 

 

Allie took a moment to think before replying, considering her words carefully. “Uh, yeah she’s pretty respected in her field, well off too. I can’t tell you about the biotech thing, but rest assured it’s nothing morally abhorrent. But, on top of the contract, there’s a bit of a passion project we’re working on together that she’s funding with the money from the contract. I can tell you about that. Broadly speaking we’re trying to help people, y’know?”

 

“That seems like a good place to start.” Elaine smiled attentively.

 

“I mean we’re both gay and women and not white so like, we’re no strangers to the bullshit people have to go through. We’re trying to fix that, right now she’s trying to develop and patent some new medical tech and release it at an affordable cost.” Allie was speaking as though it were the most normal thing in the world, just ‘yeah my sister is trying to develop not one, but two brand new technologies’ as though it were the same as saying she worked at a bank or something. Elaine stared at Allie, taking a moment to process everything she’d said and all it implied, then her stunned brain came up with possibly the most boring, generic reply ever.

 

“Wow Allie that’s amazing, what will it do?” Elaine almost winced at her own reply, though Allie didn’t seem to mind.

 

“To be honest, I’m not entirely certain. Don’t get me wrong I’m passionate about helping her, but it's more her project than mine and she can be a bit opaque and inscrutable at times. I do my part to help her, but I’m no genius like she is.” She said with a shrug, digging into what had to be her sixth taco by that point.

 

While Allie didn’t seem particularly down on herself, Elaine still felt the need to reassure her. “Hey, no need to talk like that, we can’t all change the world.”

 

Allie smiled, “Who said I’m not trying to do that? I may not be my sister but we share the same passion. Like I said, she’s the idea gal, I’m the face. I do what I can to organize locally, I protest, help with mutual aid, community outreach, you name it. There are a lot of people willing to fight if you talk to them.” Allie had an unfamiliar fire in her voice, it was driven, almost ferocious. Elaine had to admit this was a side she’d never seen to Allie, which only drew her in more.

 

“That’s really impressive, honestly. I didn’t know you were that involved.” Elaine had to admit, there was something strikingly familiar about the way Allie spoke, about the fire in her voice and the strength of her conviction.

 

“Hmm, well I guess I never mentioned it. But you know what my politics are, Elaine. We’ve been over that. I’m not a fan of corporations, politicians, corrupt deltas, the guilds, the cops, people are profiting off keeping a boot to our necks, and not in the fun way like with you.” She winked, “that’s what it’s really about for us, my sister and I both. I organize, she invents. She always tells me one day she’ll invent something that will spark real, revolutionary change. And call me crazy but I believe her. She has made a bit of a habit of doing the impossible” Allie’s words provoked a painful thought, would she hate you if she found out who you really were? She wanted to say no, to say Slipspace wasn’t like the rest of them. That Elaine wasn’t like the rest of them, and sure, she’d let Arcadia go, but she still stopped her from stealing, even after Slipspace realized she agreed with her so-called nemesis. 

 

She had no doubt who Allie would side with. No doubt Allie would have wanted her to help Arcadia. At the same time though, how could she understand what it was really like? What being a delta did to you, the pressure, the constant threat of slipping and becoming a public enemy. Would Allie still feel that way if she knew how much danger it would put them both in? If she knew it might spell the end of their blossoming relationship? Maybe. Maybe not. Still, Elaine realized then that she needed to talk to Arcadia. For herself, for Allie, for all people she was supposed to be out there protecting. She still wasn’t sure what the right thing to do was, but she knew where to start. 

 

“Elaine?” Allie’s concerned voice pulled her from her thoughts, she snapped to attention. “Sorry, you were kinda spacing, is everything okay?” She lay a hand on Elaine’s from across the table. “Is this too heavy of a topic for a first date?”

 

“Oh, um, no. Just kind of felt bad. I mean I agree with everything you’re saying, but I haven’t done much to actually help.” She mumbled.

 

“Hey, it’s alright, we all do what we can. If you want I can take you to an event sometime, get you introduced to the community.” She said hopefully.

 

“I think I’d like that, Allie.” 

 

“Wonderful! Now, I don’t know about you but I was very much looking forward to the desert menu that steak place had. I’ve a hankering for sweets at the moment.”

 

“God, yeah I looked online earlier this week and that dessert menu did look really excellent.” Suddenly Elaine remembered that she kind of actually was looking forward to going to that first restaurant. Steak wasn’t on her top ten list of foods but they had this molten chocolate cake and the pictures alone made her mouth water.

 

 “Well, it won’t be the same but what would you say to grabbing an entire cake at the nearest grocery store and heading back to my place to eat it all in one night?” If it were anyone else, Elaine would have read that as innuendo, but she was pretty sure Allie really did actually just want to pig out on an entire cake with her. Besides, sex was a given at this point, assuming they could actually move afterward.

 

“I’d like that very much.” They shared a smile, a smile that warmed Elaine to her very core. She decided then and there that she was going to do whatever it took to help Allie, to do the right thing, and to be with her for a long, long time.

Hello my lovely readers! Long time no see, I'm back though. And I've got content. Tomorrow morning my time (PST) I'll be posting the epilogue to close out this story. If you're enjoying these new chapters, and want even more Restraints/Redemptions then I have news for you! There is more, a lot more. In fact, there is approximately 20,000 more words of brand  new content that is not on Scribblehub and, sadly, will not be. It was a tough decision to come to, but I've realized that right now my patrons don't have a ton of exclusive content. As such, I have published a full version of Restraints/Redemptions onto my patreon, as well as onto kindle books. This version contains 7 brand new chapters, as well as some extensive additions to two already existing chapters (namely, the chapter in which Elaine goes to confront Arcadia and Dr. DeLEXIous, and the following chapter between Elaine and Allie). It's available to all of my patrons, so for as little as $2 a month you can pick it up here. Hell, if you want, you can even pay the two dollars for the content, and then immediately stop being my patron, I won't tell anyone. 

That being said, I would really appreciate if you could join my patreon at as high a tier as you feel comfortable joining, and, or, if you can afford it (and are willing to give Amazon your money which, I wouldn't recommend), I would appreciate and sales of the E-Book version found here. If you really, genuinely do not have $2 to spare or otherwise genuinely cannot make the payment, and would still really like to read the new content, feel free to pm me and we can work something out. That's all for now.

85