8 – the rabbit monster
370 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

before I could start work on anything, though, I needed the place where everything got down to business. a lobby. I didn't have the tiling for the floors, fluorescent lights, or, heck, even the wood for a desk but I did have a basic plan for what I wanted.

as Fanny and her attached wisp (I'd nearly forgotten about it, honestly) collapsed next to my core, I put my e-wisps to work!

'you three,' I said. 'start digging north from that wall.' I threw my dungeon sense at the rightmost block.
 
I didn't know if they knew what 'north' was but they happily started bashing against the wall anyways. satisfied, I looked toward Fanny.

'you good?'

"I'm better," she said weakly. "But we need to build an opening fast."

'fast...takes too much energy. just thinking about it makes me sleepy...'

"Wait, no, don't go to sleep!"

too late.


I woke up to Fanny screaming. at first, I thought she was being her normal Fanny self, too loud for her own good, but then I saw the rabbit.
oh. that's new. rabbits didn't normally have horns, do they? and they weren't normally reddish-brown. or the size of a small cat.
 
'hey, Fanny, what's the deal with the rabbit? it looks so...big.'
 
it could only fit its head through the small entrance the e-wisps had built. they'd managed to dig out two blocks this time which was impressive! but speaking of e-wisps, where were they? I reached out with my dungeon sense and found them...cowering behind my core. weren't dungeon monsters supposed to be hyper aggressive against invaders? were they afraid of being eaten? I thought they weren't supposed to have a sense of self-preservation.
and by how freaked out Fanny was, I guessed she was, too.

'stop panicking, Fanny, we'll be fine. I'll just spawn some more e-wisps to take care of it.'

"WISPS ARE THE WEAKEST MOBS," she screeched, cowering behind my core. "WHY COULDN'T YOU PICK A BETTER BLESSING?!"

eh...now that I think about it, what are the fighting capabilities of these little guys? [Spawn e-wisp].

less energy, +1 mob.

the e-wisp seemed afraid of the rabbit, inching away from it. nuh-uh, you don't. I can see the bunny digging in the dirt. you're gonna kill it before it can reach us!

it looked at me, almost pleadingly, but I held steadfast in my command. it faced the rabbit, trembling.

'you got this!' I told it. 'I have faith in you!'

at my encouragement, the trembling lessened a little, and the wisp grew a bit more confident. it drew itself up and spat a glob of muddy mana at the rabbit.

the monster reeled back at the attack, catching its horn on the ceiling.

'woah. I had no idea you guys could do that...keep at it, little dude!'

was it a dude? I don't know but it seemed encouraged cuz it kept spatting more mud mana globs. the entirety of the rabbit's head was eventually covered in the stuff and then with a final glob, the muddy encasing hardened.

as I watched the monster try and break off the mold, I shuttered a bit. suffocation was a terrible way to go.

at least, I thought so. I've never been suffocated before. my uncle was, though. done in by his ex-wife. at least, I'm pretty sure he was my uncle. family relations are hard to keep track of...

Like the story? Be 5 days ahead on my Patreon!

10