(11) Old Injuries
7 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 11: Old Injuries

After a moment of shock, He JiYang approached Nie Lan while taking out some general condition stabilizing pills. She sent her spiritual energy through Nie Lan’s body to inspect her condition. There was indeed poison in her body and was likely fed by the traffickers. He JiYang was ashamed of herself for not checking earlier, but fortunately Nie Lan’s condition wasn’t too bad. The poison was designed to be more painful than deadly, to serve as a warning and a defense in case of escape. There wouldn’t be any lasting problems if Nie Lan took the antidote in time.

Obviously, He JiYang didn’t carry that antidote. Although she had many expensive and rare pills, most of them were for cultivators, either for spirit replenishing or neutralizing effects.

Cultivators could only practice the skills of their cultivation path; for example, pill alchemists could refine the spiritual energy in their bodies to create pills with varying effects. This is because during the Foundation Building stage, they built their spiritual veins and meridians to absorb external spiritual energy and convert it to use during pill-making. However, they couldn’t be able to use this type of energy for sword skills.

Similarly, sword cultivators during the Foundation Building stage would hone their bodies so that external spiritual energy would be converted into energy for their sword skills. This energy couldn’t be used for other cultivation paths, so it would be impossible to make spiritual pills.

In a million cultivators, there may not be more than one who can utilize the skills of more than one path. He JiYang just happened to be that one.

Although she couldn’t use many Healing skills, it was simple to take care of a mortal poison. She also took the opportunity to test for spirit roots in Nie Lan’s body. Spirit roots decided one’s innate talent, and although talent wasn’t everything, if they didn’t have spirit roots at all they couldn’t cultivate.

As for the misunderstanding, she didn’t take note of it at all. A simple explanation would solve their problems, and it was natural to be on guard. In fact, this was an important trait for cultivators, a lesson He JiYang paid blood to learn.

To her surprise, Nie Lan had promising spirit roots. She had dual roots, a large water spirit root with a wood spirit root as well. This qualification would’ve allowed her to join a large sect directly, with potential to be an inner disciple. Unfortunately, she didn’t have the opportunity, and her body has passed the optimal stage.

Cultivation was just like this. In the face of luck and opportunity, talent and hard work could mean nothing.

He JiYang didn’t have many expectations for Nie Lan. In her mind, since she saved Nie Lan, she could take some responsibility. She would teach her some basic cultivation skills and then set her free. This way, she would have some ability to take care of herself.

Sitting by the fire, she pulled out a little ivory flute. Her skill wasn’t great, not at all like the enchanting music that could pluck at one’s heart from the stories. However, she could play a few simple songs. After blowing for a bit, she grew bored, habitually rubbing at her jade waist pendant.

This flute was given by her brother, and the jade waist pendant also matched her brother. Along with Mo Jin’s, it was said all three were cut from the same piece of high-quality spiritual jade and carved by a renown artisan. Truthfully, she didn’t quite believe it. Of all the items she owned, this was probably the cheapest, yet she could never let it go.

She looked across the fire at Mo Jin who was once again cultivating and felt slightly ashamed about her laziness. Closing her eyes, she also again began circulating the spiritual energy in her body.

Due to her injuries, the process wasn’t as smooth as usual. Slowly, she drew energy into her body, and it travelled through every vein and meridian. It gave off a temporary chill, relieving some of the swelling and heat as it refined into a thin stream before entering her dantian.

Any cultivator would have been shocked to see the chaos in her dantian. Not only were there signs of old, explosive injuries, on top of her sword spiritual energy there were also traces of another type, embedded deep into the wounds. Fortunately, the dantian was considered one of the most stable places in a cultivator’s body, since scars there wouldn’t affect their skills or performance. However, it weakened the body and was very difficult to heal.

There was pretty much only one way to injure the inner dantian, and most Gu couldn’t even get in. It was from exploding one’s own cultivation.

Nie Lan woke up late the next day, putting on a guarded expression before realizing her improved condition from yesterday.

“What happened?” She asked, a little bit awkwardly. Based on the situation, it seemed to be her own misunderstanding, but she was still hesitant.

“They snuck a time-active poison in you, but I’ve taken care of it already. Are you feeling better?” He JiYang gave a slight smile before passing over a cup of hot water. Seeing Nie Lan’s face flush bright red, she wanted to laugh, but figured it was better to change the topic to prevent the little girl from being too embarrassed. “We’re still a couple days away from our destination. We should get going after you get a bite to eat.”

“Un. Thank you… and sorry.” The last word was almost a whisper, and Nie Lan felt ashamed and guilty. Her eyes were wet, but she didn’t want to seem weak, so she refused to let them fall. He JiYang didn’t seem to care, but some things should be remembered so that mistakes don’t repeat.

Nie Lan continued trying to be as helpful as before. Truthfully, she also knew that these tasks could be completed with a wave of a cultivator’s hand. However, her attitude needed to be shown, so the actions still had to be done. Every time they took a break, before Mo Jin even got off his sword Nie Lan was already bustling around clearing an area and picking up firewood.

He JiYang thought it was quite cute, just like a little squirrel.


Next task: Build a personality for Mo Jin

1