Case 01 – Facing the revised Reality on the Job
1.6k 16 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Case 01 - Facing the revised Reality on the Job

--- about three weeks ago ---

Detective Mc Glytch was paranoid.

Knowing that under the normal brutal reality there is an ever more dangerous supernatural reality was a tough nut to crack.

It had made her extremely paranoid.

So, when during a murder in an alley she saw two rats waving hands at each other and pointing at the crime scene she carefully approached.

She felt really silly pulling out her badge and showing it two a pair of rats. "Detective Mc Glytch, I know of the Otherside."

The two rats turned away, not in the hurried scurrying away kind but more like they weren't interested.

"I know the White One."

Seeing two rats freeze in mid step was funny enough that on YouTube it would turn into a true hit in the meme section, then one of them fell over.

"She is not that bad, I think."

The not fallen over rat turned around and gave the detective a look that clearly said "Are you kidding me?"

"She did take my badge, but she returned it right after."

The rat did not seem convinced.

"She killed a hellhound that was about to run me over?"

The rat gave a chitter that seemed to mean that it was expected.

"I feel really weird talking to a rat, and you know I can't actually understand you?"

The chittering noises now seemed to be laughter.

"Enough of that, got anything useful for me about that murder?"

The one she decided to call Mr. Rat in her mind, made the universal motion for money with its paws.

"I doubt you can go shopping like that even if I paid you."

Mr. Rat decided to facepalm.

Kids could be 'bribed' with sweets. "Want dried fruits or cheese instead?"

She had no idea how the rat did a thumbs up without a thumb.

"I'll be right back …"

Mr Rat did a stop here motion, then kicked his still frozen stiff friend, the two quickly scurried off into a hole in the side a house.

Mc Glytch felt really stupid.

Then a procession of rats returned some carrying dollar notes and others carrying coins.

"You want me to turn this into cheese and dried fruit?"

Having like thirty rats nod at her was another YouTube moment.

"Fine, I'll be right back."

------

Mc Glytch felt weird skipping the crime scene to raid the supermarket, how a rat colony managed to scrounge up almost 40 dollars she did not want to know.

But she invested most of it in dried fruit, a little in some cheese and a few carrots.

The cashier was not happy at all the dirty coins and notes, but accepted them anyway.

Mc Glytch ignored the confused looks from her colleagues. She could not ignore the way the rats swarmed the shopping bag and carried off their payments.

Mr. Rat then scampered over to a large dumpster, together with a few swarm members.

That movement however caught the attention of several policemen.

They looked on as their younger colleague helped rats enter a dumpster, and then received something from them.

"What have you got there, rat whisperer?"

"Switchblade, bloody, seems it was rather deep inside the dumpster."

There was a moment of silence.

"The rat just showed you?"

"Of course not."

The men relaxed at that.

"I had to threaten and bribe them first, now do you think 'checked the large dumpster on a hunch' will work for the report? According to the rats whoever did it buried it in a bag almost at the bottom."

Mc Glytch wondered if the others knowing about the Otherside had issues like that.

--- day after in the afternoon ---

"Mc Glytch, my office now."

The detective sighed; it was going to be one of those days. She went to the captain's office.

"Why do I have a pre-approved transfer notice to the FBI on my desk?"

"It has to do with that Sir."

"And the rat whisperer thing?"

"Bribed them for information about the body Sir."

"More of that?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Will I be having more moments of that kind?"

"I don't know Sir."

"As long as it brings results, and doesn't cause me headaches."

"I will try not to, Sir."

"Dismissed."

--- same day in the fternoon ---

When in the evening a seemingly pale, black-haired, and temperamental girl was brought in for questioning after she had snapped a robber’s arm it was one of those days.

Especially when nobody believed her driver’s license. Which said that the seemingly 13-year-old girl was actually 26.

Mc Glytch decided to step in, the police station had enough manpower shortages without the officer being put into hospital if her hunch was right.

"Smisson, I'll take her."

"It's not a murder, just some fake identity."

"And an arm that got snapped like a twig if what I heard is right."

"Fine have at it rat whisperer."

The pale girl seemed more curious then angry now.

"Detective Mc Glytch, you can stop glaring. After having white and fluffy kill a hellhound close enough to me that it bled on my shoes, your red eyes don't scare me." Mc Glytch decided to provide her very weird credentials. The way her suspect and victim all in one stiffened was a good indication she had hit right on the mark.

"Couldn't you have made yourself look older?" She asked the being before her.

"Transformations make me feel fake, like a not quite itch. Not everyone can change shape like she does." The girl complained.

Mc Glytch sighed. "How does adding a genetic disorder flag to your public file sound? It should pop up whenever someone opens your file."

"You can do that?" The girl seemed pleasantly surprised. "Oh wait, of course you can, you know her after all.

"No, I can't personally, but I know people who can. Now according to this, the idiot who robbed you is filling for assault and bodily harm."

"Not my fault he was a soft meat bag."

"Got a doctor who can attest that your body is the equivalent of a twelve-year-old?"

"It's thirteen." The girl corrected, seemingly annoyed. "I was thirteen when I got turned."

Mc Glytch filed that away and decided to treat the girl like a vampire. She had to correct one thing though. "Girls mature faster now. You could be a mature eleven too."

"Not my fault you humans mature faster and grow taller now." The small girl pouted.

"Back to topic, got a doctor that can take care of it?"

"Maybe?" The girl seemed thoughtful.

"Here is my card, if anything police related pops up, call me or have them call me." Mc Glytch pitied the young-looking woman. Being stuck as a loli forever must be terrible.

"Uhm, can I share the number? I know several others who could use it."

"Sure, go ahead." Mc Glytch just knew that she would regret the offer, but it would be wrong not to make it.

"If I manage to get the attest, should I deliver it to you?"

"Have someone drop it in your file, I'll have your records amended soon, I hope."

"Thank you." The girl gave a tight hug to the Irish blooded woman. "You smell nice."

"As long as it is only nice and not delicious." The detective deadpanned.

The vampire giggled and left.

"Mc Glytch, my office!"

Twice in one day had to be a new record.

"Yes chief!"

Inside he glared at her.

"Why did you take that girl away from Officer Smisson? It is an assault and fake ID case."

"Actually, no it is not Sir. More like there is at least one 0 missing at the end of the age and a case off accidental self-defence, reflexes probably."

The captain took a deep and calming breath. "More of that?"

"Yes."

"How sure are you?"

"Like completely sure."

"Are there any issues?"

"I think we will manage a small coverup that will make the thief seem a clumsy idiot, her and her …" Mc Glytch tried to remember the vampire movies she had seen for the right word. "... kin, or maybe coven, have my number to call in case of police issues."

The captain rubbed his temples. "So, an increase of weird?"

"Possibly Sir."

"Take care of it, and warn me when you do so I don't need to care."

--- about a week ago ---

"That dog is not moving away."

"It shredded the net."

"It's growling like crazy too."

The two police officers and the man from animal control shared looks.

Finally, one of the policemen sighed and decided to act.

"Oh well, guess we will have to call the 'Rat Whisperer'."

"That is not a rat." The man from animal control complained.

"Yeah, but considering she managed to bribe a pack of rats into finding her a murder weapon?"

"She what?"

"I saw it, and I can't believe it!"

"She brought a bag of dried food, then some of the rats showed her the dumpster and brought her the knife the poor guy was killed with."

"This I gotta see."

------

Mc Glytch wondered what was going on. Two of the policemen she worked with called her in for help at a homicide, it was a case that should have gone to someone else, but they had demanded her.

When she arrived, she saw five people in the hall crowding the door to the living room.

"That damn thing has five darts sticking out from it! That is enough to knock out a dinosaur."

"Mc Glytch! I hope you can do something about that!" One of her colleagues called out to her. "Only reason we haven't shot it yet is because it might help ID the killed.

She peeked into the room. Dog, really large, four darts sticking out from various parts of it, probably three gunshot wounds, a bitten through dog catcher, a ripped apart net. "Shoo, get out of here guys."

"That dog needs a doctor, and we need to check the room and body." The other detective complained.

"Out!" She forcefully herded the men into the corridor.

The woman took a deep breath, then stepped into the room. Causing the dog to give a loud snarl.

"Shh, I am going to look at the pictures." She tried to calm the something down.

Pictures of the dead man and the dog that should be dead dog. "Oh, so you are a Bernese Mountain Dog and your name is Scotty." She took a picture of the man and his dog somewhere in some mountains off its place on the wall. "You two look happy."

The dog was staring at the woman and the picture she was holding.

"Alright Scotty, I guess you are as new to being dead, or is it undead, as I am to dealing with the dead but still moving. So, I am going to pretend you are still alive, and smarter than some people I regularly have to deal with."

"Look, I want the guy who killed your master." She looked at the dog, aside from the three bloody spots in the fur, there was some blood around its mouth.

"Did you get that ass that did that?"

She had the feeling the dog smirked.

"Good boy."

The tail wagged.

"Scotty, search!"

The dog seemed confused.

She approached it carefully, ignoring the way the hackles rose, and took one of her sample bags and gloves. She carefully wiped the snarling teeth, and managed to get something that she suspected was a piece of the murderer. "Scotty search." She held the disgusting piece of evidence to the dead dog's nose.

The dog hesitated, giving a look to its dead owner.

"Scotty search!" She ordered again, and pulled out the tranquilizer darts.

With a snarl that reminded her of the hellhound, it moved straight for the door.

The yelps from the man outside were rather satisfying. She quickly rushed after the dog. Outside she threw the bag with the meat piece at the group. "Piece of the murderer. I am on a …" There was a word for a hunt with supernatural hounds, what was it again? "... a wild hunt."

"Shit." One of the officers cursed.

"What?"

"She is Irish."

"And that means what?"

"A wild hunt is when the unseelie fairies hunt the damned. And it is not those cute fairies, it is the winter court, the ones that give you nightmares and will haunt you and then kill you in ways that your will have your soul begging for hell."

"Shit."

"I'll call the captain."

------

Mc Glytch found it fitting that it was already dark, however calling it a wild hunt was a bit much when it was only the two of them hunting.

She appreciated that the dog regularly waited by howling.

Things started feeling weird when suddenly something howled back.

Then another one.

"Full moon!"

She had a job to do.

She ignored the way the dark huge snarling seemed to melt from the shadows and seemed to seize her up as prey.

With an unnatural calm she pointed at her undead hound. "The wild hunt is on, he leads."

Another dark shape melted from the shadows. "[Who are you to order a hunt?]"

The rasping Gaelic sent shivers down her spine. "[Eireann Mc Glytch, the blood runs through my veins and she showed me the other side.]"

"[Who is she!]" there were even more cold whispers now demanding, asking.

She knew that the wrong answer would kill her, possibly damn her soul.

"[The White One showed me the other side, she slew a hound of hell before my eyes. I saw her hunt. Now we hunt the one who killed his master, and nothing will stop us.]"

"[Then lead the hunt! The White One is one of us, to have seen her hunt is an honour, now we shall show you how we hunt.]"

Something took hold of her, and she did the only thing she could. "Search Scotty! The Wild hunt is at your back!"

The howl and cries of the Wild Hunt filled the streets.

Eireann Mc Glytch did not feel tired.

She ran faster than she had ever before.

She had run longer than was humanly possible.

Her mind blanked a lot, there were things following and hunting that a sane mind was not meant to see.

Scotty led, they followed.

Buildings moved aside, cars were passed through as if they were illusions, and more trees then should be in the city framed their path.

A still they hunted.

------

Skinny moaned in pain.

His arm was swelling, that damn dog had bit him after he had shot it three times.

The fucking mutt had clearly had something worse than rabies.

"I'll have to remove the arm." The doctor said.

"Don't you fucking dare." He threatened the doctor. It was probably a bad idea to threaten the only live-in doctor of their organization, but he didn't care.

Then a howl came, and the arm pulsed with it.

"Ahhh, fuck! Give me something stronger!" Sure, he had done an unauthorized hit, but he wanted to buy the good stuff, and he had checked, the man lived alone, with only the fucking mutt for company.

Now he was sure he had killed them both.

But the dog had risen again, and had ripped a bite from his arm.

Now here he was at their base getting tended to. It was stupid, since they had currently a lot of wares present, but he had needed help.

The howls were coming closer.

The pain was worsening.

------

The wild hunt was circling, it was a large estate, rich, Mc Glytch felt that it should be familiar.

"Where is he?"

"[Inside, they have taken others younglings!]" "[They harmed a childe!]" "[Selling and trading their young, defiling and killing them!]"

Child traffickers and more, a sane part of the mind supplied.

"Will you hunt them down like they deserve? Or will you catch them so justice locks them away and their rich friends let them out?"

A pair of white figures appeared.

Arctic fox, the mind supplied from recent memory.

Whispers started. Everyone was making noises.

"Quiet!"

And there was silence.

"Eireann Mc Glytch, will you lead this hunt to justice for men, or to our justice? Will there be death or capture."

The lawful part of her mind told her to ask for capture.

The part that ran with the wild hunt demanded their prey.

Her memories finally supplied why this building was so familiar. Son of a far too rich guy. Daddy far too connected with those high up.

They'd walk free.

"[Hunt the prey~]"

The White One turned, two fans in her hands, then she was at the large armoured gate, then the gate slid apart in pieces.

The hunt was on.

The barrier to the prey was gone, and all those that harmed the innocent would pay.

Their master would live, haunted, his mind shattered.

"[Hunt them all, their Master shall remember this day forever, to never forget what he brought upon himself and why]"

--- morning after the hunt ---

"Owww, my head."

Eireann Mc Glytch opened her eyes, she felt a wet cool towel on her forehead.

"Where am I?" The world was blurry.

"I brought you home."

Carefully she turned her head to see a blurry white shape.

"White One?"

"Call me Zaria. If you want to call me by title then white, White One, White Menace, Shrine Maiden, pervert, That One, Code White, and so on if you want." The really pleasant and soothing voice informed her. She was not sure if she would remember it though, everything felt so fuzzy.

"Congratulations on calling a wild hunt, leading a wild hunt despite being human, and surviving leading a wild hunt despite being human. I may have helped with the survival, but the calling and leading? That was all you with far more luck then should humanly be possible. Being Irish blooded with enough fey blood that the last affair must have been within the last ten generations. You having a hound, and the full moon being tonight, and finally, knowing me. Beings like me leave an imprint on people they find interesting, I thought about visiting you, since you did not scream or try to run. But unfortunately, I was busy with school and undead in Africa."

The white blur let her sip on a straw, refreshing cool water with a hint of mint filled her mouth.

"Then imagine being back and trying to decide on dinner, then being called to a Wild Hunt." The cloth on her forehead got exchanged. "To imagine that you would manage such a thing so soon after being aware of the Otherside? If I hadn't joined it would have cost you your life, but I am still really impressed. Your instincts are scary."

"What happened?"

"What is the last thing you remember?"

"Gate falling apart?"

"You entered, several guards shot at you, the bullets did nothing. Then you ordered the attack. They flooded the estate, you managed to call everything that thirsts for blood in the city, you had enough in there to destroy a city, yet you managed to keep control of them. The girls are safe, even if freaked out of their mortal little minds. The top three are locked up in padded cells drooling, foaming, and screaming. No chance of them ever returning to sanity, not with chunks of their souls missing anyway."

Flashes of yesterday started appearing. Had she really found the murderer and congratulated him on becoming their target, and leading them to such a bountiful hunting ground?

"Yes, you did."

Did she just have her mind read?

"You were almost projecting your thoughts, and it was a good hunt. And it was so satisfying to see their minds shatter as you sent evidence over evidence to various departments, agencies, and a few more that I supplied you the addresses for. That gave your new acquaintances the cracks that they could use to trap them in never-ending nightmares."

Eireann knew she should be shocked.

But all she did was feel satisfied.

"It takes a special type of mind to balance both sides. Sometimes you need to stop the supernatural, sometimes you need to ignore the law of men. You have to be able to choose and to stick to your choice, no matter the consequences."

Was she now a part of that side? Or of this one still?

"You are one of those of us that walk both. Oh, and don't be surprised if you start getting weird reactions from beings from both sides. You are now feytouched, leading a wild hunt, and getting a kiss of life from me, then me tending to you? And finally, the worst probably, catching my interest."

Why did she feel doomed?

"Feydala Eireann of clan Mc Glytch, of the elder blood of Eire, welcome home to the realm between. In the name of the fey, I Zaria van Kairan, of the unbound fey, welcome you!"

She just knew it; this was going to be bad or worse.

"But it will be fun. You are the talk of the supernatural side already, a human detective calling a wild hunt, surviving it, and having my interest? It does not get more famous than that on the other side. Sorry~"

"I have the feeling we need a long talk and that I need a lot of explanations."

"The Veil, the Otherside, the Masquerade, the Moonlit World or however you want to call it, is the separation of the mundane and the supernatural. I am a special case. Due to my power and position, I am part of the fey, the divine, the arcane, the martial parts of that side, and on this side, I am currently a schoolgirl of 14 years."

"You don't look 14?" The detective decided that the slightly blurry form was too short.

"My natural body is more like twelve or nineteen."

"Or nineteen? Wait, you are a shapeshifter or something? Self-trans … something?"

"Not self-transformation, shapeshifting is a more natural thing. Even changing into other forms is natural, transformation is an unnatural change."

"I think I understand, sort of."

"You clearly went to the unbound fae side." The more and more defined blur continued. "Racially I am mainly kitsune, which puts me on the spirit side of the veil, however due to race and others I am also fey. Don't think about it too deeply, it will only cause headaches, let's say I am an impossibility made flesh."

That did not help the mentioned headache at all.

"Now most of the time supernatural stays supernatural with many having a life on both sides. Like you probably felt yesterday, the supernatural has its own rules. We don't think each life is important. When you trigger the rules, offend someone with that much more power, the consequences are on your head."

It was harsh, but considering the group yesterday had done unspeakable things, destroyed countless lives, and would have walked free sooner or later, with the heads probably never seeing jail.

It felt satisfying.

It felt right.

It was dark justice, and the hunt made sure the right ones had been hunted down all over the city.

"I think I understand."

"Good, now things like yesterday, are rare. Most of the time it is something getting high on power and causing trouble, idiots doing experiments not meant to be done, or stupid kids summoning a terror from beyond and getting killed for it. Adults exploring haunted houses, mansions, asylums, and other places counts as Darwinism. There are places that are not meant for humans, or have been taken over."

That made sense. In a weird and creepy way.

"Now, could you unlock your phone, and what should I save my number as?"

"2742"

"Oh, I have that messenger too, let me add, this one too, probably should add my familiar too, what name do you want me under?"

"Zaria works. I am not going to walk around with an entry called The White One."

"Good, you humour is back. Zaria Kairan is me; Yuki Kairan is my familiar, best to text her only, she spends most of her time as a fox after all."

"I am just going to pretend I understand."

"I guess this is enough of a reality shock."

"Yes, let's continue another time. What time is it?"

"Past seven?"

"I need to be at the office at eight. Help me up, oh no, yesterday is going to cause so much more paperwork."

"Better you than me."

"Shut up!"

------

Her head was still fuzzy when she arrived at the office. She entered the office, and got a standing ovation and a bunch of suits glaring at her.

"Mc Glytch, they need a word." Her captain led them to a conference room.

"Detective Mc Glytch, because of you, years of investigation went down the drain. Do you have any idea what you have done?"

"Uploaded all their blackmail and information to more servers then I can remember of more agencies then I knew existed?"

"What kind of attack did you lead?"

The demands were growing.

"I will have you arrested for this; you will never see the light of day again!"

"Code White."

Two of the seven suits shut up.

"What kind of joke is that?"

"If you are not informed, then I can't tell you, it is classified."

"You will tell me or else I will make sure you won't have anything else to say again." An FBI agent ordered.

"They know." She pointed to the two suits who were frantically typing on their phones.

"What do you know?" Some CIA agent, according to the badge anyway, demanded.

"Classified."

"She said it, if you don't know, you don't have the right to know, we are currently verifying her story."

Mc Glytch shrugged. "I am not sure it has been reported properly yet, since I was pretty out of it afterwards."

"That's fine, we just found she filed a report, it will probably be missing some information, she posted a note saying that you should check it for errors or wrong deductions, then she has posted three cover stories for you to pick from."

"What do you mean cover up? The senator demands answers."

"Just shove the evidence of child trafficking in his face, I haven't had the chance to go through the rest, but I think I saw blackmail, bribes, and other high-end stuff. I think having the FBI and Homeland Security deal with it should be fine?"

"There is nobody from Homeland Security here."

"I'll give him a call later I guess?"

Mc Glytch felt far to mellow to feel intimidated.

Chasing someone who was in a Ferrari on the back of a wolf as tall as a Harley while flanked by a cat larger than a bus and something that her mind did not want to remember simply took the intimidation factor away from a bunch of unhappy suits.

She wondered for a moment about what that said about her sanity, and decided she'd care after a nice cappuccino.

"Are you listening?"

"No, I need a cappuccino, I just remembered that one guy that drove his Ferrari into a tree at almost 300 km/h. The poor tree."

Okay maybe she had really taken some sanity damage.

"Did I report that? That red smear a few trees further in should be someone higher up."

And now she should shut up.

"Sorry, my mind is affected by yesterday."

CIA suit still didn't shut up. "What kind of raid did you lead? What kinds of unapproved weapons did you use? We still have three bodies frozen to such temperatures that touching them shatters them, one has been melted or melded into the bed, and the coroner is guessing by weight and skin colours that the two hundred kilograms of cubes were formerly three men."

"I don't remember that." She didn't, though she did remember several being sucked into walls, shadows, blood puddles, and something.

"Did someone check the pond? I think two should be in there." Unless someone used the pond as a portal, but those two had been splashes, not ripples.

"What the …"

Then five phones rang at once.

The five suits pulled out their phones.

A few answered the phones annoyed, which changed very quickly to overly polite. Red angry faces turned pale and paler.

Mc Glytch decided she had to get her caffeine, her mind was still wandering and fuzzy.

------

During work she had found a nice cosy goth cafe that was in the cellar. Dark, calm music, good strong coffee, and the cakes were not too sweet.

She realized something was wrong when the waitress, wearing a very nice gothic Lolita costume, gave a scared squeak and dropped the menu.

"Yes?"

The gothic Lolita fled, leaving the detective very confused.

"Sorry about her my Lady." This did not seem to be a gothic Lolita waitress, it seemed darker, and clearly higher in rank. And she wondered what the hell that meant and how she knew.

"Dorea van Howlers, I was that shiny black shadowy cat in the hunt." The cat-something shuddered. "My mother used to tell me tales about the hunt, to be in one myself, I would have never believed it, and to get to see The White One with my own eyes."

Mc Glytch inched away from the fangirling cat. Something nagged her mind however. "Two tails?"

"Yes! I am honoured you remember me."

Now she had a cat fangirl.

"A cappuccino, a strong one, I am still a bit out of it after … that."

"Naturally, my Lady."

What she suspected was the owner of the not goth but supernatural cafe went to make her order she looked over. The two normal waitresses were looking her way.

One was clearly scared, and the other one was staring at her like at an idol or superstar.

This was getting freaky. Were there really so many beings from the Otherside, or was she just so lucky to run into all of them?

------

She sighed completely constantly. The cappuccino was purrfect, and the black purring cat in her lap was a relaxing distraction from the new reality.

She was perfectly content with ignoring the fact that the happily getting spoiled kitty in her lap was probably the owner of the cafe in some smaller form.

As long as she did not have proof of the opposite, she was not budging on the just a cat theory.

"Dori!" The door opened and a loud but familiar voice called out. A look over showed that small vampire from the office. With a heavy sigh the detective did what she was supposed to do. "Here."

"It is you!" The vampire she still tried to remember the name of said in realization. "How could you? The one night I am out of town that happened, and get off her lap you shameless cat!"

There was clearly a story between those two.

"Here, have her, I should return to work, the suits should be done getting chewed out."

"What suits?" The small vampire accepted the cat that did not seem happy at being removed from the lap.

"Just people that think they are more important than a wild hunt."

"That is stupid."

Something in Mc Glytch agreed very much.

------

"It was not just a wild hunt, but to think it is actually her."

"Meow?"

"You remember how I told you about an officer that knows the White One?"

"Meow?"

"It is her."

"Meow~"

"I am still jealous you got to participate."

------

Now feeling far more awake she went back to check out the situation.

The suits had multiplied and the five annoying ones were gone.

"Conference room? Unless one of you has a more secure one?"

The suits all exchanged looks. Most of them seemed to be ready to offer theirs to gain some home advantage.

"Let's use this one then." Mc Glytch decided to act, she felt fuzzy, tired, worn out, and moving quickly caused her head to spin.

The group followed her.

Once everyone was seated, introductions she did not care about, followed. The summary was two from the police, three from the FBI, the CIA sent four, from Homeland Security came two, and no mention of affiliation was a further three.

"Everyone here is familiar with the Otherside I guess?"

Nods and agreements followed.

"Long story short, I got called to a murder because they couldn't get rid of Scotty the victims’ dog who got killed alongside it's owner and had turned into an undead hound."

That got several murmurs.

"I managed to get its attention and got it to hunt for the one that did it. Due to me being Irish and it being a full moon, it became a wild hunt."

Curses and a lot of paling followed from several of those present, those not in the know quickly got small explanations.

"Now that everyone knows what it was, we hunted, we followed across the city and found that place. It was there that the White One appeared."

Gasps and pale faces all around.

"It was her that shredded the gate actually. Then we hunted them down. It went all over that estate, we found evidence and hunted down more all across the city. I think I had lists forwarded, if someone from those is missing, there is a good chance that they were taken care off by something that does not leave remains."

That caused a lot of looks all around.

CIA number three decided to mention. "67 confirmed dead, 18 missing, 9 insane. Of the insane ones five are high profile. Of the missing ones eleven were high profile. And you are telling us that they are probably lost?"

"High profile means what?" Mc Glytch wondered; she was still fuzzy about the names of the doomed ones. Doomed had a nice ring actually, maybe she should use it?

"Politicians, connected to politicians, famous and rich. The type the media loves."

"Their actions doomed them."

"You called a wild hunt!"

"And the targets got approved, the dark found them to be evil, they got what they deserved, and I just know the gods won't have mercy on their souls."

"We needed several of them!" The CIA suit complained.

"Oh please, illegal funding’s for black ops projects and such. Sure, short term it is a catastrophe, long term I can only see benefits."

"Besides, this falls into the Department of Otherworldly Crime purview, they caused the Otherside to gather, there are plenty of stories of wild hunts going very wrong. We found enough schoolchildren to fill a classroom, and add in the adults and the papers about other sales, kidnappings, and murders we have enough victims to fill an apartment block." Nameless green suit listed.

Mc Glytch cringed. "That is a lot, far too much."

"We had evidence that kept disappearing, being thrown out or overlooked. I think misfiled is a good term too."

"So basically, we have solved a long-term issue that will cause a lot of short-term trouble?"

That caused a lot of nods even if several people looked very unhappy.

"In that case I am going to write a report, or rather amend the one she sent, and I will probably use one of those ideas she sent as a coverup."

"What is leading the wild hunt like?"

"You get judged, if the cause is just according to their rules. Then you get to lead them, you feel all of them under your command, honestly, if she hadn't come, my mind would have shattered. The only reason I am still alive is because she took care of me afterwards and shared the mental load. And I already had a complaint that it happened during an out of town trip of one of those that didn't get to join."

For many of them this changed a lot, Code White had approved and had obeyed Detective Mc Glytch. That the White One had then taken care of Mc Glytch was something taken note of as well. Finally, that there were more eager for the hunt.

"Some of the beings there I still can't remember, considering I remember chasing a Ferrari while riding on a black wolf and being flanked by a black cat the size of a bus and something so unspeakable that my head hurts when trying to remember, it is something I probably don't want to remember."

"Now excuse me, I am tired, I am going to sit down, write both reports, then get home and pass out." It was rude, it was unprofessional, but she didn't care. Mc Glytch walked out on the group where in reality everyone outranked her.

------

"Mc Glytch!" The chief's loud voice interrupted her.

"Yes captain?"

"You are getting your own office, it's just a small one naturally, but it should be enough for your purposes. I already had all your things moved."

Great now she would have to clean up as well and fix things to her liking. "Yes chief."

She was actually surprised, the small office actually had a window, a small couch, a nice large desk, and a filing cabinet, one that the chief handed her the keys for. It was clear what was supposed to go in there.

Maybe this wasn't so bad after all.

However now she had reports to write, one made her head hurt, the other was a bunch of lies that she would have to make up. She was bad at making up things and lying.

------

After Mc Glytch had left, the suits each pondered what they had heard.

"Detective Mc Glytch called a wild hunt. A human called a wild hunt and survived!"

"I am more interested that White actually bothered to pick her up and not just let her mind shatter."

"White saved her once before, maybe White saw something in her?"

"I think the most amazing thing is she is not a drooling vegetable even with White's help."

"It gets better, since the demon summoning case a week ago we have two confirmed cases she came in touch with the Otherside, then the Wild Hunt, which is a huge affair, but as it solves a lot of problems in the long run and they triggered it with that minor murder, I don't see anything aside of the accidental Wild Hunt and the complaints that some did not get to join as an issue."

"We suspect that aside of White several doomsday scale beings joined."

"The mystics said several old ones were on the move."

"And a human led them."

That caused various plans and ideas to hatch, naturally they had to inform their superiors first.


And this was interesting.

The wild hunt just happened, okay I did not plan for it that way. But it seemed to fit as it wrote itself.

All in all, I think most of the chapter feels natural.

Poll: Eireann (Erin) Mc Glytch romance option: yay or nay?
A-1: Yes!
A-2: A little for flavour
A-3: No!
B-1: Single waifu.
B-2: Harem!
B-3: So many choices, must collect all the waifus!
B-4: Nothing steady, different partners based on story.

Eireann (Erin) Mc Glytch romance option: yay or nay? (2 Votes)
  • A-1: Yes! Votes: 35 51.5%
  • A-2: A little for flavour~ Votes: 18 26.5%
  • A-3: No! Votes: 2 2.9%
  • B-1: Single waifu. Votes: 15 22.1%
  • B-2: Harem! Votes: 19 27.9%
  • B-3: So many choices, must collect all the waifus! Votes: 33 48.5%
  • B-4: Nothing steady, different partners based on story. Votes: 5 7.4%
Total voters: 68 · This poll was closed on Jun 5, 2021 02:22 AM.
35