Chapter 1: A New Will
758 6 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a start I realized something was different, not the taste cause that doesn’t matter when you’re hungry… was that it? I’m starting to think, and that’s what’s different. It's not like I had no thoughts before, just more in the moment than this. It feels strange, thinking like this and yet I feel something more, almost like when I know I need to hunt but it's not that.

After a bit more time figuring out this whole thinking thing, I start to look at the plants nearby more closely… I couldn’t stop myself! I just had to know more about it! These paws though, they are no good for finding things out… but wait, I have magic so maybe that? Ah but I only ever used fire magic, that’s all anyone in the den ever used and only for hunting, but what if I used magic without fire? I try it, focusing the magic on the plant that I NEED to know more about, feeling with the magic I would normally ignite and attack with and then…! 

 

Crap I set it on fire, I was so close though! 

It's okay, it's okay, there are a few more that look just like it nearby, so let's try again! Another fire…
What was that noise? Oh crap another burned one…
Damn it…
Hmmm, this one isn’t on fire yet, but what if I… *sigh*

 

After nearly causing a huge fire with my attempts I finally figured out something, linking the magic to all of my senses at once, and thinking of it as just part of my body I finally managed it! I can tell so many things about this plant; how it drinks water, sunlight, air, and magic to grow! So that’s what this need was, I needed to know more, curiosity, but I’ve never felt it that strong before now… was it this thinking thing? And yet I want to know more, but to do that I’ll-- *sneeze* Wha? 

 

I look back at where this irritating smell is from, only to see my own proudly fluffy tail kicking up the ashes of the failed plants from wagging when I got excited. I give a huff in annoyance, not only did that upset my nose but also my tail is all messy! I have to clean it! So I walk a good bit away from the former plants and fix my fur. What? No I’m not just keeping pretty, smoky smell will give me away when I sneak! I am not vain I swear! 

 

While grooming myself, I realize that with this whole thinking thing I may not be able to go back to the den normally, if I go back with being able to think for myself it may seem like I’m trying to be the new Alpha… it seems annoying, lets pass. I can think for myself, I can hunt for myself, so I’ll live for myself too. Deciding against returning to the pack, I head outside of the territory of my kin and without so much as a glance backwards I move forwards and start investigating everything, even my former prey were now creatures I wanted to know more about, and my new magic sensing lets me do just that even letting me understand the strengths and weaknesses of things… how handy!

 

I have to wonder though, what else is out there? I’ve only ever known the trees and shade, but are there other things out there? Maybe places without trees? Places with lots of rocks? Ooooooh I want to find out! And I can also eat new things, and try new things too! Yeah leaving is the right choice, let's get going then! 

 

I start to head in a straight line, tail flicking everywhere unbeknownst to me as I planning to go completely outside of the woods I’ve called home my whole life, and as soon as I emerge from the trees I see it… a large open space with so few trees, but so much grass that it almost ripples like water from the wind! It's so pretty that I find myself just staring there for a long time until I find my own thoughts again and walk into the beautiful grasslands.

31