Chapter 16.1
162 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days felt like a blur. I remembered going to class, as well as magic practice. I was now able to conjure more than just my black flame. I was also getting better at teleporting. It was a very strange experience. It felt like I was on a very fast roller coaster. My aunt had been avoiding me. I didn’t let my cousins catch on that something was up just in case they didn’t know what was going on.

 Alex and I began spending more time together. It was strange at just how much we had in common now that we knew that we were sisters. I really wished that we had gotten to live together, I could have really used a sister. I used to ask my parents why I didn’t have a brother or sister, but they always had some excuse. I was starting to wonder if they couldn’t have kids. It made sense, mom and dad were two different races, and I was the product of a goddess.

 Ariel seemed to be glued to me ever since the night that I told them everything that had been happening. I guess she felt that she had to protect me. I had to admit that it was really cute. If I didn’t already have a girlfriend, her chivalry would be very attractive.

 By Saturday, I was beginning to feel like things were normal again. There weren’t any more surprises, at least none that I could see. My friends and I decided to go to the village and get a break from the academy. Maybe even meet other people. My only hope was that my mom wasn't around. I didn’t know if I could deal with her right now. Everything I was told made sense as to who I was, but knowing who my true mother was complicated things. I just wanted to fall asleep and wake up and it all have been a lie.

 “Michala, did you hear me?” I heard Keaira ask as we walked into the tavern. Being that we were in a different realm, they weren’t bound by government laws. I sat at the nearest booth I could find. Ariel, Keaira, and Alex followed suit. Keno didn’t want to come with us. Something about his abilities making him sick.

 “No. Sorry, I was stuck in thoughts,” I said as I looked at her. I could read the concern on her face. How did I get so lucky to have her as my girlfriend? I wouldn’t know what to do without her, or any of my other friends for that matter. They were the foundation that was keeping me stable.

 “I know you have had a lot on your mind lately, but please try to have fun. That is what this was all about. Getting you away from the problems so that you could enjoy yourself,” Keaira said. I nodded at her. I knew that she was right, but it didn’t keep me from worrying.

 “You have us, you know. You can talk to us about anything,” Ariel said. I smiled slightly.

 “Not to mention, you have a sister who cares about you,” Alex chimed in. I wear it was like I was at an intervention. Not that I had ever been in one, but I saw a lot of them in movies and on youtube.

 The barmaid came over and asked us what we wanted to drink. I ordered pumpkin juice, while Keaira ordered blood. I didn’t pay attention to what the others were ordering, I was too busy thinking about everything I came here to forget. I couldn’t help it. I wanted to forget everything that I had heard, but it was difficult. The fact that I had been lied to all my life was a little more than I could handle.

 “Michala, you're doing it again,” Ariel said. I frowned at her. She wasn’t helping the situation. I know that she was just trying to help, but There was just too much that I couldn’t handle. I could feel the anger welling inside of me.

 “I can’t help it. Everything that I knew was a lie. I don’t know what to believe anymore,” I said waving my hands. As I did, something happened. Our table caught fire. I could hear the screams of people around me. Freaking out, I jumped away from the table. Had I done that?

 “Michala, you have to get ahold of yourself,” Keaira said before waving her hand, extinguishing the fire. Everyone at the tavern looked at us. I could feel their intense stare.

 “I would kindly ask that you do not burn down my tavern, young lady,” The owner said. Her yellow eyes bearing down at me. Blushing I looked away.

 “I am sorry, I found out some things that I wasn’t supposed to about myself and got carried away. I’m just so mad,” I said. The woman shook her head and sighed.

 “I know the feeling. I have been down that road before, but that is no reason to set my tables on fire,” the woman said.

 “She is still learning to control her powers. It’s my fault really. I should be a better teacher,” Keaira said. I felt the sting of her words. I didn’t want her to feel like a bad teacher.

 “No, it’s my fault. I need to learn to control my anger. I am sorry. You can bill my aunt at Helsing academy, she’s the headmistress,” I said.

 “You mean Brenda Helsing is your aunt? Then that must mean that you are Michala Helsing. I have heard a lot about you. Your mother and aunt speak highly of you. Say that you are very important,” The woman said. I rolled my eyes. Of course, she knew them. Why wouldn’t she? They were apparently very famous sisters. “There was always something off about the girls. Especially after you were born. So many people hiding too many secrets. People around here started wondering what was so secret about you. We all knew that you weren’t their blood child,”

 How could they have known that I wasn’t the Helsings child? Were they told, or something. It didn’t make any sense. If I was such a secret how could people in a village that was nowhere near where I grew up knowing that I wasn’t their child?

 “What do you mean you know that I wasn’t their blood child?” I asked. I wanted to know the truth.

 “Well, as far as anyone knows, a vampire and a werewolf can not have children together. Their DNA is too different. It’s like how a dog cant mate with a cat. We may not be neither vampire nor werewolf, but we do know science. Humans can be ignorant in anything that doesn’t involve them, but we do. Each creature puts off a different Aura. We elves can sense them. Yours is neither vampire nor werewolf, but at the same time, both,” The woman said. I didn’t know she was an elf. I had never met an elf but I didn’t see the resemblance.

 “You don’t look like any elf I have ever seen,” I said. The woman just laughed.

 “Of course not. People see Elves the way that Tolkien wrote them. While some of what he wrote is true, we don’t have pointed ears. We are, however, more intuned with nature,” The woman said. I was surprised to hear her bring up Tolkien. I wasn’t really surprised that humans would get a race that they didn’t understand wrong. It wasn’t the first time.

 “Again, I am sorry about the table,” I said. The woman put up her hand and shook her head.

 “No need. If you are dealing with what I think you are, then I understand, just try to control yourself. I can’t afford to replace all of this,” The woman said before walking away. I didn’t even get her name. Keaira and Ariel both hugged me, though I didn’t understand why. I just had a moment of weakness, it wasn’t like I was about to break.

 “ Perhaps it's best if we get back to the academy. I think this was a little too much for you right now,” Keaira said. Keno was about to argue, but one look from Keaira and he stopped in his tracks. Without much thought, I nodded and followed them out of the tavern. The barmaid tried to catch us, but we were already out the door

9