Chapter 16.2
169 8 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once we were back at the academy, we went to the dorm room. Keno was allowed to enter with us since it was the middle of the day, and there weren’t many girls in the dorms. We all sat on the couches and relaxed. Ariel and Keno started talking about things. I didn’t really pay attention to what it was.

            “Michala, I know that you’re upset, but you need to calm down. You're going to cause suspicion if you don’t,” Keaira said. I could see the worry in her eyes. I knew she was right, but I didn’t know how to control my temper. I had been lied to so much that I didn’t know who I could trust. I was starting to wonder if I could even trust my friends. I didn’t know if they knew more than they were letting on. But then again, they seemed just as surprised as I was about the news. All of this was starting to make me paranoid. I needed a distraction. Something that could really get my mind off of things.

          “I would like to watch a movie later, just the two of us,” I said, looking at Keaira. Everyone else got quiet. It was almost like I set off a little alarm.

            “I would love that,” Keaira said. She smiled at me as she placed a hand on my knee. Everyone else just watched us for a moment. It became quite uncomfortable, so I turned on the big tv and put on Charmed. Everyone's attention automatically turned to the tv. This made me feel a little better. I didn’t want everyone staring at me, especially when I felt like I was about to have another meltdown.

            After a few episodes, the bell rang for dinner. We all headed to the dining hall. Once we all had our dinners, we sat at our usual table. Ally and Erin came over to sit with us. I flinched a little when I saw them. It wasn’t that I didn’t want them sitting with us. It was just that I still didn’t know if I could trust them. After all, they were my aunt's daughters. Who knew how much they knew about my true origin.

            “Hey Michala, you have been quite distant lately. Is everything okay? Is Leanna still causing you problems?” Ally asked. I shook my head as I tore into my steak. I didn’t realize just how hungry I was until now. I guess it was a good thing. It kept me from saying things that I might regret.

            “No, she has just had a lot on her mind. I am sure she will be back to her old self in no time,” Keaira said, coming to my rescue. The twins both nodded before digging into their dinner. I hoped with everything in me that they didn’t know about my circumstances. I didn’t want to end up hating them too. They were all that I had in the way of siblings for most of my life.

            Halfway through dinner, I noticed that my aunt wasn’t in her chair. This seemed to be happening regularly. I was starting to wonder if she was avoiding me or if she was with my “mother.” It didn’t really matter—the less that I had to see of her, the better right now. I needed to figure everything out. I needed to know why I was supposedly destined to be a ruler.

Most importantly, I needed to figure out just who I was. I don’t mean name and birthday. I mean who I am inside. Was I still going to be a Helsing, or was that life over. These were the questions I needed answered.

            After dinner, we headed back to the dorms. Ariel and Alex went off to do their own thing. The twins headed to their friend's room, and I followed Keaira to her room. I needed this movie night. Hopefully, it would take my mind off everything, and I could get through another night. The last thing I wanted was another nightmare like the one I had on Thursday. All of this worry and truth was really breaking my psychi.

            “So, what do you want to watch?” Keaira asked as she went to her movie collection. I really didn’t know what I wanted to watch. All I wanted was to be close to her and watch something to take my mind off everything.

            “Something funny, I guess,” I said as I sat down on her bed. I loved the feeling of her bed. I could almost fall asleep on it just by laying in it for any amount of time. It was softer than most beds and conformed to your body.

            “Alright. How about Mr. Deeds. It is one of my favorite movies,” Keaira said.

            “That sounds good,” I said. I had always loved Adam Sandler movies. Every since I was a kid, I would watch his movies. My personal favorite was 50 First Dates. I would watch it over and over again. Mom used to say I would eventually burn out on it if I kept watching it, but she couldn’t have been more wrong. I always dreamed about finding my true love, like they showed in the movie. I think that I finally did with Keaira. She is everything I could ever ask for.

            After putting the movie into the DVD player, she came and sat by me on the bed. Before she could do anything, I laid down, resting my head in her lap. I could feel a light chuckle as she placed a hand on my head before she started running her fingers through my hair.

            “Well then, I guess I am your new pillow?” she teased, though she didn’t know how right she was. I could lay in her lap for hours and be content. Especially with her running her fingers through my hair like she was. It was so soothing. Probably one of the most soothing experiences in my life.

            It was halfway through the movie when I realized that I had dozed off. Keaira was still running her fingers through my hair when I stirred. Yawning, I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I was a little upset that I had fallen asleep through the movie, but the location of where I fell asleep changed all of that. I could have slept on her like that all night. The only reason I even woke up was that my body told me I needed to.

            As I returned from the bathroom, I realized that Keaira had fallen asleep. Sighing, I walked over to the DVD player and turned it off. I was about to leave the room when I heard movement.

            “Wait, Michala. Why don’t you sleep with me tonight? There is no reason for you to leave. You were already in here, and it's becoming late. I am sure that Ariel won’t mind sleeping by herself for one night,” Keaira said in a tired voice. I started to object, but my mind told me to take the offer. Slowly I walked back over to the bed. Keaira situated herself so that I could climb into bed. As I got comfortable on my side, I felt her slide behind me and wrap her arm around me. Little butterflies filled my stomach. I wasn’t afraid to say that I was the little spoon in this relationship.

            “Goodnight, princess,” Keaira said softly. I don’t know why, but hearing her call me sent more butterflies to my stomach.

            “Goodnight, my love,” I said before closing my eyes. If I were to die tonight, I would die happily in the arms of this amazing girl.

Sorry for the delay. I have been working on some things in RL plus some emotional feelings about the low reads on this story as it is in part a tribute to my parents who had passed away last year. This story is very special to me and I would love to share my story with everyone I can. I would like to know how improve this story so that more people will want to read my story. I love you all and I thank everyone who has stuck with me this far.

12