Chapter 84: Descent of a Hero
2k 5 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
CONTENT WARNING! GORE, TRAGEDY People will die in this and the next chapter, some of them children unfortunately. It was difficult to write for me but it makes sense for the character sadly. Sorry about that.

 

Before we start I would like to say that I am not excusing Prince Julias for all of his faults, he was still a shithead. He was just a shithead that was egged on by a much more terrible person. And this is definitely NOT an allegory for any recent events... <Sweats>  Anyway we start off with a look at why the stands didn't immediately empty out after the threats of death from the "Hero" and get a look at what the various parties have been doing in the meantime. After that Rose's identity is revealed for all to see, will this cause issues in the future? Enjoy! Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!

Announcement

Just an announcement that I have a new experimental novel's first chapter available on Patreon, I'll be doing long-form chapters of around 5-6000 words and I plan on doing about 10 chapters of it on Patreon before determining whether I'll continue it after which I'll release those 10 chapters and any subsequent ones on a monthly basis here on Scribblehub. If you want to read it beforehand it'll be available along with another experimental novel I've been working on that's a short-form comedy novel focused around a guy that gets adopted by loli aliens and turned into one. Here's a screenshot of both of their descriptions and tags.

For Beyond Pluto(AKA Long-Form Novel):

For I Wanna Be a Loli(AKA Short-Form Comedy):


[The Prince wasn't the one behind everything?!? Answer!] - Arlen

[Yes yes! He had nothing to do with us! Just stop hurting me!] - Harris

[... Wow. I didn't expect him to be such a wimp. What about my kids?!?] - Moon

[Kids? Oh, right; they're being used as hostages at the Arena. Something about fireworks from what I heard.] - Harris

[...!] - Moon

 

The Blackguard novice we brought with us was surprisingly powerful. Surrounded by over a dozen thugs, each of them stronger than the average guard, I'd prepared myself for a difficult fight. Instead what had happened was our newbie had immediately reacted to the new threat and within less than a minute all of them were on the ground, tied up and groaning. Somehow our escort had dealt with the situation faster than I could react to us even being in danger.

Glancing at the demure Lamia once more I marvelled at how quickly she'd gone from meek and obedient to aggressively violent then back again. It seemed crazy yet there she was, her eyes downcast as she avoided looking directly at me. Well, whatever. Admiration can wait; we have to find out what’s going on.

Advancing on the now terrified mob boss I pulled down the rope that was currently muffling what were obviously pleas for mercy only to nearly replace it when the man began tearfully begging me not to kill him. It was pathetic. Ignoring the grating sound in my ears I yanked one of his fingers nearly back to his arm, painfully twisting it as I did so.

Demanding that he answer my questions I was surprised when, instead of the futile resistance I'd expected, he immediately caved and began blabbing their entire plot. Apparently that stupid Prince was being used as a pawn in order to accomplish several goals. One, assassinate the King. Two, facilitate the takeover of a few treacherous noble families. And three, capture some noble lady from their neighboring country. Harris didn't know who exactly they were after but if I had to guess it was most likely Rose, perhaps to try and use her as leverage in the coming war? I wasn't sure but whatever it was for it seemed the Prince had no idea what was going on, he was just being used as a convenient target for our side and, shamefully, it had worked. We'd completely missed the fact that the asshole Prince wasn't the true culprit.

Why do I hate the Prince despite finding out he's not to blame? Oh no reason, it's not like I'm angry that he proposed to the one I love or anything. I'm definitely not that petty.

Moving on, it seemed that this morning they'd been ordered to turn over their captured Demi hostages to the city guard and then told to deal with anyone who found their warehouses. Harris had been waiting for new orders when he'd confronted us.

Kicking the man once more for good measure—I’d been motivating him periodically throughout his confession—I confirmed once more that the Prince was not our target and, getting an affirmative, turned to Moon to let her ask about her siblings. His answer, shocking us both to the core, had a much more pronounced effect on Moon as she immediately turned in the direction of the Arena and began running. Sharing a glance at our escort I briefly ordered her to watch the prisoners until she met up with the rest of her unit. Getting a nod and an affirmative I immediately followed the quickly shrinking form of my new friend.


[H-How?!?] - Unnamed Assassin
[Did none of you research your target at all?!? An attack this weak wouldn't even put a scratch on someone of my strength, let alone kill me.] - Queen Laura
[Tch! Go to Plan B!] - Unnamed Assassin

 

I was shocked; one moment I get confirmation that the operation has begun and that we're making good progress eliminating the various forces of the traitors and the next the supposed ringleader of the entire event is stabbed through the chest by one of the S-Rank Adventurers that was hired to watch over the Tournament. My friend and peer, King Nero, horrified by the sudden event, immediately ran out of the room, his goal obviously to go to his child.

Worried for my friend I motioned for a few of my own guards to follow after him. He had his own personal bodyguards of course but my trust in them was quite minimal. Confirming that they had followed behind the man I immediately focused back on the events in the Arena once more, the situation in the stands chaotic as everyone tried to rush towards the exits only to find them blocked by armored city guardsmen.

It wasn't looking good, sure she was confident in her own protection, her bodyguards being as strong as S-Rank Adventurers along with her own strength being that of an A-Rank Adventurer she was confident in her ability to weather just about anything thrown at her. Although the fact that one of the attackers was a member of an S-Rank Party worried her, she'd have to be cautious around the rest of the party if she encountered them as they could also be involved.

Worried about Rose, I watched the unfolding chaos with concern. Distracted with thoughts of my niece I vaguely noticed a slight breeze in the otherwise sealed room and immediately whipped my hand around, intercepting an arm wielding a wicked looking dagger. Surprise colored my assailant’s face as I unleashed my pressure, chastising him.

Reacting instantly to my threat he swiftly brought another dagger to bear. Bracing myself for a follow-up strike I was startled when, instead of going for me again, he sliced off his own arm. Kicking off the ground to gain distance I noted that my bodyguards had already blocked the approach of several other assassins, most probably they'd chosen this number specifically to circumvent my protection detail.

[Oh! Impressive reaction time. You realized that you were outmatched immediately and instead of foolishly attempting to attack once more you opted to escape. Congratulations!] - Queen Laura

[Too bad it won't do you any good! I'll have your group pay for putting my family in danger!] - Queen Laura

[Fuck you, filthy monster!] - Unnamed Assassin

Clapping slowly at the man's impressive decision making ability I mockingly smirked at the one that had attacked me as his companions looked around nervously at the bodyguards slowly closing in. Continuing to mock the man my tone suddenly changed as I allowed the anger at what was happening to come to the forefront. These bastards had attacked me and my family, threatened my friends and spread terror amongst the innocent! And all of this for some human supremacist stupidity despite our country never looking down on them!

Releasing even more pressure I closed in on the idiots before me. The man trembled slightly.


[What's going on?!? You there! Report!] - Arlen

[Who are y- Prince Arlen?!? I apologize for my rude words!] - Lamia Captain

Arlen was shocked, before him was absolute chaos, the writhing mass of bodies a clashing of two distinct forces. On their side a mix of Lamia and human Soldiers, on the opposing side a mass of violent looking human thugs and fully armored city guard. Moon, much more agile than himself as a result of her Catkin ancestry, had vanished into that mass of combatants, somehow weaving through the bodies as if it were water. Shaking his head as he realized that it was impossible to follow her unless he pushed through directly he wished her luck and quickly turned to find the nearest commanding officer, finding one a little way off. The Captain, calling out orders as she used healing magic on anyone she saw, was quite short for a Lamia, probably only 20ish feet long by the looks of it and her delicate features stood in stark contrast to the aggressiveness of her orders as she barked commands at those around her.

Quickly making his way to the petite older woman he yelled to get her attention. The Lamia, angry at the interruption, immediately turned while yelling at the distraction only to suck back her next words when she realized who he was.

 

[Enough of that, what's the situation?!?] - Arlen

[Yes Your Highness! We are currently in combat with forces around the Arena! Forces against us seem to be a mixture of criminal thugs and city guardsmen. It is currently unknown how many guardsmen have joined the rebels as of this moment but they seem to outnumber us considerably!] - Lamia Captain

[And inside the Arena? What's the situation?] - Arlen

[I apologize Your Highness, our communication with the Queen as well as our forces within the Arena ceased when the operation began. As of now we have no information on the situation inside!] - Lamia Captain

Annoyed at the sudden deference she showed despite the chaotic situation I waved off her panicked apology before repeating my question. Her answer was... less than ideal. The forces against them a lot larger than expected. Deciding not to focus on the negatives unnecessarily I inquired about the situation with my Mother and Rose only to find that they were unable to be reached, shit! Pausing for a moment as I considered my options I finally came to the only decision I could. With my strength surpassed by my younger cousin AND by my own mother I'd be nearly useless by their sides anyway. As such the best thing I could do now was...

[Understood. I'll be joining the battle Captain, direct me to where I can do the most good!] - Arlen

[D-Direct you?!? I-I couldn't! I wouldn't dare to ord-] - Lamia Captain

[Captain! I am inexperienced in wartime maneuvers! As of this moment I am putting myself under your leadership! Now direct me to where I can do the most good.] - Arlen

Revealing my intention to join the battle wherever needed the Captain's face paled as she protested immediately. Annoyed by her reaction despite understanding where she was coming from I immediately shut her down as I impressed upon her my complete inexperience in large scale battles such as this. Sure I could just randomly jump in and start helping but doing so might do more harm than good without an understanding of the larger picture.

[I-I... Understood Your Highness, please proceed to the west side of the Arena, our forces are having difficulty dealing with theirs. And stay safe, I-I can't even imagine what Queensguard Miriam would do to me if you were harmed!] - Lamia Captain

[Will do! And Captain?] - Arlen

[Y-Yes?!?] - Lamia Captain

[What's your name?] - Arlen

[N-Name? Ah umm… Captain Perala a-at your service Your Highness!] - Captain Perala

[Then I'm off Captain Perala! May the Gods be with you.] - Arlen

[And you Your Highness.] - Captain Perala

Seemingly defeated by my logic the woman sputtered before finally acquiescing to my demand, directing me to shore up the faltering west front of the battle. Turning to leave I paused a moment to inquire as to my current superior officer's name, nodding after receiving it as I rushed off to where I'd been directed, her prayer to the Gods fading behind me.


[Me? Oh I'm sorry I never introduced myself did I? Well then, I am pleased to make your acquaintance Lady Rose de la Amchier, Successor of the Demon Lord. My name is Cardinal Francis III otherwise known as the previous Summoned Hero, Tanaka Keitaro.] - Keitaro

[You're a Summoned Hero?!? Why the hell would you do something like this?!? You're from Earth right?!?] - Rose

I couldn't understand it, he was from Earth?!? He came from the same place I did yet his actions... I couldn't understand.

[Hmm? English? Reincarnated? No, impossible, only humans reincarnate. Ah right you have access to old books through your family. Duchess Lily de la Amchier is your mother right? Well whatever, as for why I'd do this? It's simple, I'm bored. School was boring, work was boring, life was boring! Nothing ever happened on Earth that was worth a damn!] - Keitaro

[You know, I used to beat up nerds and geeks that read Isekai manga. Didn't expect to be in one myself. Even this world is boring—the first few years were awesome! I could have any woman I wanted, I could beat up trash whenever I wanted, I was stoked to be in a world where life could be so interesting! But over time none of that meant a damn! Having any woman whenever I wanted became stale! All the trash that came against me started bowing down instead! Nothing I did could interest me! So I decided, if the world wouldn't entertain me I would make it interesting instead.] - Keitaro

[That's it? That's why you did this?!? BECAUSE YOU WERE BORED?!?] - Rose

[Ah ah ah! I told you to... shut up!] - Keitaro

Surprised at my usage of English, especially words that weren't common over here, the armored figure tilted his head curiously as he muttered to himself. Seemingly deciding a moment later he finally revealed his reason. Boredom. I see now, the Church of Light hit it big with this guy's summoning, he's exactly what they wanted. Someone that only cares about himself and how much fun that he could have.
Feeling my anger begin to rise as I listened to him speak I blew up after his hateful voice finally ceased only to get smacked down effortlessly by him when I approached at high speed.

[Ugh... s-strong.] - Rose

[Tch! Announcer!] - Keitaro

[Y-Yes?!?] - Judico

[I want you to announce what's written here, we're having a bonus round!] - Keitaro

[A-Ah right!] - Judico

Dazed from the impact of his open hand I looked up from the ground I'd impacted to see that hateful man spit to the side in annoyance before suddenly jumping into the sky. Landing on the floating platform above the Arena he lifted a plump, balding man from his seat before handing him a sheet of paper with something written on it. His ominous words echoing through the Arena as the Loud Stone picked up his thrown away sentence as he jumped back down to the floor below.


[R-Right, ah...? So by the request of the... Summoned Hero Tanaka Keitaro. Wait Summoned Hero?!? O-Oh I'll announce it don't worry! Ahem! By the request of the Summoned Hero Tanaka Keitaro we will be having an extra round to the Tournament. The fighters will be the... illustrious Hero Tanaka Keitaro vs... Oh gods...! vs the Successor of the Demon Lord Lady Rose de la Amchier. T-This can't be...] - Judico

 

Judico was scared out of his mind, he'd been on cloud nine seeing the Prince getting his face beaten in, the thought of Lady Rose teaching that arrogant bastard of a Prince a lesson had him egging her on in his heart as he gave the audience a play by play of the blows, not that there were very many since one side had been handily manhandling the other.

Then it all went wrong, the Prince was dead, the audience taken hostage and, from what he could see from his vantage point, the City Guard turned against them. He'd even briefly considered lifting the blimp he was in to escape from the chaos only to freeze when a quick glare from the armored man that had caused all of this had stopped him.

And that brings us to now. The man, someone he hoped he was out of range of, had jumped up to his height effortlessly before demanding he read out a piece of paper he handed to him. The contents, sheer insanity. Extra round? What in all the Gods did that mean?!? Of course the true shock came when he read the identity of the man that was causing so much chaos. The Summoned Hero, a tool of the Church of Light, was attacking their country directly! Gods save us all.

What happened next though made him give up all hope for survival as he read off who the other contestant in this "extra round" would be. Lady Rose de la Amchier, the Successor to the Demon Lord.


Looking around at the shocked audience I noticed that while most were only looking down at me with disbelief some of their expressions had changed to anger, anger at me.

 

[AHAHAHAHA! Just look at their faces Demon Lord! Oh how quickly they turn on you when they learn the truth! Yes! That look is what I wanted! I can't believe such joy existed! AHAHAHA!] - Keitaro

[Well that's enough of that, foreplay was always my weakness after all.] - Keitaro

[What the hell are you after?!? You're stronger than I am, you have hostages, what are you playing at?!?] - Rose

[I hate repeating myself Demon Lord, for that you get a punishment. <snap>] - Keitaro

[Noooooo!] - Rose

 

Squirming as if in extreme pleasure the Summoned Hero spun in place with his arms wide as if to bask in those feelings and, while I couldn't see his face through the helmet I was sure he was smiling from how he was acting. Seemingly reveling in the looks of hate I was receiving he suddenly froze before calming down quickly, his posture showing a desire to get to the "fun" stuff.

Feeling my anger flare from his reaction I lashed out, Logic ignored as he tried to warn me to back off while I could. I should have listened to him because in the next moment the Hero gave a look of annoyance and immediately lifted his gauntlet to snap his fingers for the second time that evening. Seeing what he was about to do I rushed forward in an attempt to stop him only for nearly a third of the Arena to go up in flames.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
79