Chapter 87: Passing of the Torch
2k 4 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
We start off this chapter with Rose's parents and where most of the army went and follow that up with Legal Loli Sensei and her group of students as they're trapped within a hallway within the Arena only to be rescued by someone unexpected. Oh and for anyone confused as to the sequence of events most of them are happening concurrently but not all. Some take place later on and some before, as for which is which... No. Hahaha, but seriously though most of the time it's obvious when certain things are happening or will be revealed in a future chapter if not. Like the ending for instance. Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!

Announcement

Just an announcement that I have a new experimental novel's first chapter available on Patreon, I'll be doing long-form chapters of around 5-6000 words and I plan on doing about 10 chapters of it on Patreon before determining whether I'll continue it after which I'll release those 10 chapters and any subsequent ones on a monthly basis here on Scribblehub. If you want to read it beforehand it'll be available along with another experimental novel I've been working on that's a short-form comedy novel focused around a guy that gets adopted by loli aliens and turned into one. Here's a screenshot of both of their descriptions and tags.

For Beyond Pluto(AKA Long-Form Novel):

For I Wanna Be a Loli(AKA Short-Form Comedy):


[Are you sure we shouldn't have told her?] - Momma Lily

[To be honest? No, but I didn't want to panic her with the chance that this could end up starting a war. Our baby has enough on her plate.] - Papa Robert

I was mortified. We'd left our baby behind at the Academy to head for the border. Bringing along most of our allied forces under cover of darkness the idea was to integrate our two armies with a third, sent by the Queen, on the way. The three of us forming into a force with the goal of eliminating any invading enemies, whomever they may be. What concerned me wasn't the mission however, instead it was the secrecy it was carried out with. Even our own flesh and blood wasn't told where our forces were headed.

However, my husband’s response relieved some of those concerns when I imagined our innocent angel worrying about our safety as well as the possibility of a full-blown war. I immediately put that thought to the side as I didn't know exactly what our baby's previous life had been like but the few snippets of information we'd gotten from her had told us that it was almost entirely peaceful. This meant that Rose was even more unprepared for violence and battle than most her age, her previous peaceful experience tainting her responses. Though, thinking about those sorts of things made me lament not being able to dote on her enough.

 

[I know honey but I'm just so worried about our baby, she's so cute and innocent that I can't help doting on her.] - Momma Lily

[Y-Yeah, we probably did a bit too much huh...?] - Papa Robert

[It's never too much, not whe-] - Momma Lily

[Pardon the intrusion Duke Robert de la Amchier and Duchess Lily de la Amchier, we have received reports from our forward scouts!] - Human Joint Commander Michael

 

Having expressed my desire to spoil our child my hubby glanced at me worriedly, spouting some ridiculous line about loving her TOO much. Of course, was completely out of the question; there was no such thing as too much!

Just as I was about to extol the virtues of spoiling our precious treasure, however, we were interrupted by an arrival: one of the three commanders assigned to our combined forces. He was slightly tall, for a human, with a chiseled physique and strong arms. Basically, the picture perfect competent soldier.

[At ease Commander, what's the word?] - Papa Robert

[Yes sir, our early reconnaissance has pinpointed the enemy camp as well as their likely target. It seems you were correct sir, the ones attacking us are from the Ligera Province.] - Human Joint Commander Michael

[Just as expected, using a puppet state to strike so they can claim no knowledge if it fails and Casus Belli if we retaliate. Smart.] - Papa Robert

 

The man, coming to a stop with his posture frozen in the characteristic salute of his country, only relaxed when given leave by his commanding officer, aka Robert. His stance, still professional, took on a more relaxed vibe rather than the overly stiff one of a few second prior as he gave his report.
The contents were... as expected. Our true foe, the Church of Light, had instead forced one of their many puppet states into attacking rather than directly participating in a way that was able to be definitively shown to outside observers. We'd expected something along these lines however so we weren't taken by surprise by the news. Honestly, we were glad it wasn't an all out attack, since neither side was ready for something of that magnitude; the death-toll would be unimaginable.

This of course put us in a tough spot politically speaking but such thoughts were for after the immediate threat had been quashed. Our objective was simple: snuff out the fools that thought they could attack our allies unprovoked.

 

[Sir?] - Human Joint Commander Michael

[Don't worry about it, can you call the other two allied Commanders? Oh and get an in-depth report for the actual meeting, we'll need that when planning our strike.] - Papa Robert

[Sir yes Sir!] - Human Joint Commander Michael

 

Robert, muttering under his breath about the future, confused the poor lad as he tilted his head slightly looking lost before my husband shook his head to indicate that his comment wasn't directed at him. The next words were however and after being directed to summon the other commanders for a meeting he rushed out of the tent without question, confirming his orders as he did so.

 

[Ahhh! I wanna see my precious baby!] - Momma Lily

[I'll be fine honey, she's as safe as she can be considering what's going on. What with the Queensguard, Jim's bodyguards and an S-Rank Adventurer team. Not to mention your parents are within about an hour of travel if something DOES happen.] - Papa Robert

[Minutes.] - Momma Lily

[Hmm?] - Papa Robert

 

Seeing that the interruption was now gone I let my internal monologue out without reserve, my lamentation at my lack of Roseonium leaking into my voice. Robert, for his part, stayed calm. His internal struggles, whatever they may be, hidden from all but my experienced view. The pained look he had when he tried to reassure me made up my mind. I had to tell him.

 

[Momma and Papa said they wouldn't leave the city further than a few minutes of travel time no matter what so no matter what happens they won't be more than a few minutes away.] - Momma Lily

[Hah... And you didn't tell me this because?] - Papa Robert

[They said not to?] - Momma Lily

[Gods honey! That would have helped me not to worry! I've spent the last few days worried out of my mind for our baby!] - Papa Robert

[Hmph! Do you really think I would have left our precious bundle of joy unprotected like that?] - Momma Lily

[Hah... I guess not.] - Papa Robert

[Plus you wouldn't let me send our baby home when she was in danger so call it a bit of punishment. Bleh!] - Momma Lily

 

I mean how could I let my hubby go without punishment after he dragged me away from our baby?!? Not possible. So I colluded with my parents. They'd make sure they stayed within 15 minutes of Academy City and I'd keep quiet about my knowledge of such until I punished my big meanie head husband enough. I mean it wasn't like he would suffer TOO much after all. Although I guess it was a bit mean of me to keep quiet for this long...

Feeling slightly remorseful about my part in my husband's worry I took on a teasing tone to let him know I was sorry, sticking my tongue out to drive home the attempt as my hubby struggled to contain his laughter at my silliness.

 

[Pfft! Seriously?!? At your age? Hahahaha!] - Papa Robert

[H-Hey what's that supposed to mean, Robert?!?] - Momma Lily

[Oh don't give me that look, it wasn't meant to be a bad thing. It just reminded me why I married you.] - Papa Robert

[Awww, I love you too you big jerk.] - Momma Lily

[Sir, Ma'am! We're ready for you to- Ah! U-Umm I apologize for interrupting, I'll inform the other Commanders that we will be postponing.] - Human Joint Commander Michael

[Don't bother, we're heading that way. Let's get this farce over with.] - Papa Robert

 

Finally losing to the desire to laugh the man I love shot back with an attack that was the bane of all women, our age. His follow-up however alleviated my worry as he swept me into his arms — an impressive feat considering my size — and kissed me gently on the lips, whispering sweet nothings into my ear. Initially surprised at his affection I leaned into the kiss instantly and teased him right back, my brain switching over to loving mode.

Which is exactly when a certain someone burst through the tent flap once more, his untimely arrival catching the two of us still in an embrace as he stuttered an apology, the poor man red with embarrassment at his blunder.
Straightening our clothes a second later Robert dismissed his suggestion to wait as we followed behind the still red man.


I wasn't sure what to do. If I were the love of my life I would... Actually Manic Blade was always terrible with protecting people now that I think of it. He literally failed a low-rank quest ‘cause the damn Karas 1Remember that it was a sort of domesticated cockatrice from chapter 51 he was meant to protect got crushed by a wyvern when he decided to head up the mountain instead of going around like a normal person. And it was laying golden eggs too!

Which brought her back to what she was meant to do here.

 

[L-Legal Loli Sensei what do we do?!?] - Heine

[I told you not to call me that you perverted little shit! And as for what we are supposed to do now, it's my job from here on out; you guys will do nothing unless asked to do so. Am I understood?] - Lolianne

[But!] - Ogi and Argent

 

First things first was to make sure the little shits that I was protecting didn't do anything stupid while I was escorting them. They may be powerful for their age but that wouldn't do a thing against a real foe that's trying to kill them. They'd be helpless. Of course the two biggest troublemakers, Ogi and Argent, chafed at my instructions, their eyes determined and hearts in the right place, but severely overestimating their abilities in the face of such unprecedented danger. I needed to shut that sort of thing down immediately.

 

[I said, Am. I. Understood?] - Lolianne

[Yes ma'am!] - Entire Class

[Good. Now let's move towards the nearest exit, that explosion may have rattled the weaker guards and I could use that to my advanta-] - Lolianne

[Hey George what's this little shrimp saying about taking advantage or something?] - Unexpected Guard

[Not sure Jon, she said something about weaker guards. Wonder if she meant us.] - Annoying Guard

 

Getting a clear agreement from the ENTIRE class I felt relieved and turned to lead us towards the exit that had previous been blocked by a multitude of guards, enough that I wasn't sure if I could force my way through and I wouldn't dare try while protecting my students. Unfortunately fate had other plans for us as I was interrupted by a force of nearly 20 armed guards as they approached around the corner, amusement on their faces at my words.

 

[Can't be George, I mean we're clearing these halls of filth after all. Us and our "weak" comrades. Am I right guys?!?] - Unexpected Guard

[YEAH! Kill those monster fucks!] - Group of Guards

[Now now, some of them there monsters are still ladies. Despite their extra bits. Why don't we let them leave if they agree to "kneel" and ask for forgiveness from us proper folk? What-d’ya say boys?!? Ya up for a little fun this evening?!?] - Unexpected Guard

[No!] - Group of Guards

[Yeah Jon, some of them are children ya sick fuck! Hahahahaha!] - Annoying Guard

[Well I tried. Ya heard them ya monster freaks, seems none of us proper folks are all that interested in lettin’ ya go so I'ma have to ask ya ta die. I'd be mighty pleased if ya would.] - Unexpected Guard

[You can go fuck yourself you racist prick!] - Lolianne

 

My face pale I focused on backing away slowly whilst pushing my charges behind me. Those guards, their faces filled with sadistic mirth, were planning on tormenting us before they killed us. The hate in their hearts pushing them onwards I looked around quickly for some way out.

My face flushed with anger as I heard their proposal to "satisfy" them I noted the distinct lack of a promise to let the men live in their proposal. The mere thought of giving myself to anyone other than the one love of my life was too disgusting to even contemplate, and even more out of the question when my charges were involved.

[Now why'd ya hafta2Slang. Contraction of have to go and get all personal like? We can't be prejudiced against ya inhuman folk iffen3Slang. If. yer not human after all. What's the world comin' to that inhuman freaks like y’all can lecture us, I tell ya it's a damn shame.] - Unexpected Guard

[Hey Jon can I get first shot I wanna have a go with that little one! She looks- Blurg!] - Annoying Guard

[George! What the he- Gurk!] - Unexpected Guard

[Charge!] - Lolianne

[YEAH!!!] - Ogi and Argent

 

Shaking his head in mock disappointment I noticed the guards forming a semi-circle around us as we backed ourselves into a corner, his mocking words acting as if it would be a better world if we weren't allowed any backtalk as "inhuman" folk. Filled with both rage and helplessness at the current situation I hoisted my axe, its length nearly double mine, rivaling the size of a human man. I needed to strike before they did; perhaps I would be able to force a hole through the encirclement for my students to escape while I distracted these dickheads.

Then, just as I was about to act, a blur of motion suddenly blew apart the middle of the guards formation. The form standing there resembled a Lamia but I couldn't tell through the dust they kicked up. Taking that as my queue for action I immediately ran towards the nearest opponent as I heard another of them die, whomever was helping us was immensely skilled! I vaguely noticed a few of my students charging with me and endeavored to beat them within an inch of their lives for ignoring my earlier order before focusing once more on the panicking guards before me.


What was happening right now?!? I was the hero wasn't I? Blessed by the God of Light and summoned to this world to be the main character right?!? THEN WHY WAS I LOSING?!?

Barely dodging yet another attack from the Demon Lord I noticed that my armor was completely covered in dents and scratch marks, some parts were even rent, stray attacks literally tearing the metal apart. It was insane! This armor was meant to be the best money could realistically buy, sure it wasn't the best available but those were basically never sold. To get one of those you'd have to have it personally forged and generally find the materials yourself. Regardless, it was absolutely not normal for this armor to get literally torn to pieces by an opponent that was fucking unarmed!

 

[Take this you furry bitch!] - Keitaro

 

Taking advantage of one of my foe’s sudden, periodic stops, I swung my sword at her neck only for her to once more come to life and react to my attack. These halting attacks then pauses were the only reason I was alive at the moment, my Hero Skills doing nearly nothing to the Demon Lord's successor.

I wasn't sure what to do, I could blow the rest of the explosives and run for it in the chaos but in this state I doubted my opponent would even notice let alone leave me be for long enough to get away. And I'd be damned if I was gonna die over this! I was, after all, a man from the modern world. Sure I was attracted to the romance of being the main character in another world and the adventure of fulfilling my destiny, but I wasn't willing to die for it! I was, not that I'd admit it out loud, a coward at heart. I was only confident in fights I knew I'd win, it's why I never attacked any of the truly powerful of this world, the ones that made even S-Rank Adventurers run away in terror. I mean sure I was powerful but those monsters, they were beyond mortals.

Quickly trying to think of an escape plan I noticed that the damn furry was pausing for a lot longer than she normally did, her eyes focusing on what was happening around her. Did she somehow wake up again?!?

Realizing that now was my chance I immediately jumped towards her and swung with all the force I was capable of, aiming to lop off her head while she was still catching up to the situation. I grinned as my sword approached her neck, confident in my victory!


Huh? What happened?!? One moment I'm opening a door in some eternal, endless void and the next I'm back in the Arena! If souls could have whiplash I'm sure I'd be suffering from that right now dammit!

Quickly looking around to see what had happened while I was out I failed to notice the approaching danger until it was too late to do anything about it, my body not entirely under my control yet. Did I seriously come out here only to die?!? DAMN IT!


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
73