Chapter 111: Undine’s Trial
946 2 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Exposition Time! No not really, that's coming soon though. This chapter is mostly a look at how Rose's inner world works as well as a return of several "characters" from before the previous arc that we haven't seen in like 50 chapters. We also get a look at this supposed protection that Grampa Mors left for Rose and how effective it is. Enjoy!

Oh right, as of writing this I have finally passed the 2,000-reader mark for a single novel. Specifically, this one. I'm continuously shocked that not only are people continuing to read but I get new readers! If that is you, welcome! You're in mediocre hands as far as I'm concerned... lol but seriously though thank you!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Arachne Hidden Village, Riyuegu Xiamen Hot Springs Fountain - ???'s POV -

It was strange. When the girl had first shown herself, I hadn't felt anything, maybe a twinge of discomfort but nothing damning. When she'd bowed her head and announced herself, I'd even been a bit impressed by her honesty. Rather than praising me in a deceitful manner she had instead completely revealed that she was only doing this trial to seek shelter from my wards. Such honesty deserved praise and as such I felt her worthy to proceed at the very least despite not coming for the trial per say. At that point I could have just shown myself and granted her permission to rest for the night within the village, but I admit I was curious. That feeling that I'd momentarily had was strange.

It was when she came forward into the water, into my body, that I realized what she was. Demon Lord! 

A Demon Lord?!? Here?!? In my realm?!?

While I was impressed by the courage of this current era's young Demon Lord for daring to come before me, I couldn't let such a slight pass unmolested. So, I decided to scare her for a bit.


- The Place Between, Rose's Divine Palace, Throne Room - Rose's POV -

I woke up.

I'm not sure what happened after that Chinese Dragon look-a-like attacked but somehow when I opened my eyes, I found myself lying on the ground outside my Palace inside my inner world. Panicking as I glanced around at my surroundings, I could hear shouting and the sounds of clashing blades as well as the roar of water in the distance. The sound, reminiscent of a waterfall I used to visit regularly outside my hometown on hikes, seemed to be coming from all directions despite the seeming distance between myself and its source.

Whatever the situation was that had led to where I was now, I could feel something terribly wrong with my inner world. Not proficient enough to have a full sense of everything that went on in my realm I could nevertheless feel a large portion of my world slipping from my control, its presence in my mind muted as if buried under the ground or covered... in water.

 

[Our forces are spread thin Lord Logic! We're barely holding back the tide on the Eastern Front and everything South has already been consumed! What do we do Sire?!?] - Professional-Looking Soldier

[Calm down soldier our Goddess will be here soon to bring this under control! In the meantime, consolidate our forces around the Outer Walls of the city and close the gate! When we come out the other side all those lost will be returned to us!] - Logic

[B-But Sire when is th-] - Professional-Looking Soldier

[She's here.] - Wrath

[I'm here! What's happening?!?] - Rose

 

So, I rushed into where I was sure Logic and Wrath would be waiting, probably already acting to salvage the situation if I knew anything about the former. And I was right, Logic and Wrath were indeed present in the Throne Room. The latter, leaning against one of the far walls as if unconcerned by everything happening was betraying her true feelings by nervously tapping her foot as she stared at the door, her eyes widening with a swiftly concealed relief when I appeared.

 

[We're being attacked. I have no concrete answers as to who is actually assaulting us but if I had to assume it has something to do with that strange Dragon you saw just before passing out. I believe that wasn't truly a physical attack. Otherwise...] - Logic

[...we wouldn't be talking. Right, so what's the situation?] - Rose

[We're being fucked up the ass that's what you useless host!] - Wrath

[...!] - Professional-Looking Soldier

[I hate to agree with Wrath's... eloquent turn of phrase but, she's right. Our situation is extremely dire. Our enemy this time seems to be far more powerful than we are and going be what you heard before we were attacked, I doubt that this has anything to do with a "trial". We should assume that this is a life-or-death struggle and react accordingly.] - Logic

 

Listening to Logic explaining the situation made me pale as I reflected on my truly poor judgement of character that had led me into this situation. I'd assumed that the old Head Priestess was certainly antagonistic, but I'd underestimated her aggression after being assured that mutual destruction was unwanted by both sides. Unfortunately, considering the current situation, it was seeming more and more likely that she'd planned this "trial" as a way to rid herself of one of us easily. She also most likely had a plan for Annabelle as well and with the rest of the group in such bad condition after the previous fight it was unlikely any of them would put up much resistance if separated from my maid.

I never thought I'd be saying this... again, but I agreed with Wrath. We were utterly fucked.

 

[What should we do?] - Rose

[Go fuck them up! What else?!?] - Wrath

[Agreed, however, before that can you call the Mirror Demon and Flesh Stalker from the Corrupted? We'll need them if we're to have any chance.] - Logic

[The Corrupted? And how did you know about that demon and the thing with hands?] - Rose

[Ah, I forget that you don't have access to the knowledge I've been gaining by reading books in the library unless I return to you. I'll explain later, but for now please focus on the images of those two and call them to us. It'll work, trust me.] - Logic

[If you say so...] - Rose

 

Corrupted? Return to me? It seemed like whatever books had appeared in the library had quite a bit of information in them since I understood none of that. What I did get was that I could call those powerful creatures here and given how much difficulty they'd both given me it was almost guarenteed that they'd be useful combatants.

So, I concentrated like I was instructed, conjuring an image out of memory of their forms. Luckily, for all our sakes, I seemed able to easily picture them in my mind despite the large span of time that had passed. Something told me that it wasn't a testament to my memory however as it almost felt like my world itself was pushing their image to the forefront of my mind. Perhaps it was because of having defeated them previously? Regardless of the reason though, the outcome was a resounding success as I felt something pop and the air in the center of the Throne Room began to shimmer.

 

[Oho?!?] - Wrath

[Phew it looks like it worked...] - Logic

[Wait you weren't sure it would?!? What was that "It'll work, trust me." nonsense then?!?] - Rose

[A lie.] - Logic

[Wait seriously?!? You lied to-] - Rose

[Shhh! Quiet you two I wanna watch the lightshow! Soooo pretty...] - Wrath

 

Standing up as the air began to fill with a menacing aura Wrath stared at the slowly growing portal with extreme interest as I heard something I'd never expected. Logic, sighing in relief as he too stared at the opening that was appearing before us. That bastard had used me?!?

Bickering with the incarnation of my Logical side we were finally silenced by the increasingly enamored Wrath as she hushed us while staring at the unsettling purple and black lightning that was emanating from the disturbing portal before us. The increasingly pale face of the unfamiliar soldier visible only because he was directly opposite us at this point as he'd distanced himself as soon as I'd arrived.


- The Place Between, Subconscia, Outer Walls - Rose's POV -

[Uweh! That's so gross looking!] - Rose

[...agreed.] - Logic

[Well, I think it's awesome!] - Wrath

[Of course you do.] - Rose

<Bleh!> - Wrath

 

After successfully summoning the two creatures/demons that had harassed me over half a year earlier we moved our meeting to the outer walls where my inner world's forces were currently just barely managing to withstand the tide of enemy forces. Not a metaphor. It's an actual tide, as in made of water.

Staring out at the flat plain of steaming water as far as the eye could see it was clear that whatever was attacking us had a significant connection with water in some way. The Guardian was it? Regardless if it were just extreme flood waters we'd have been able to hold the fort indefinitely, our high walls that were surrounding what used to be a small hamlet easily powerful enough to withstand a little water. No, what the water was doing was the problem. Gripping our walls as if it was alive the water slowly made it's way up the ramparts as if they weren't there, the only thing slowing them down was the combined efforts of the soldiers spread over the top of the walls in both direction.

Suffice to say, it was really gross looking. Looking similar to moving it had none of the charm that the slime that Karen was made out of. Instead, it resembled flowing blue snot rather than some semi-solid membrane. I guess even a small difference in texture completely changes the look of something and the evidence was before me in the form of really disgusting moving water.

 

[Moving on, can I count on you to thin those... things, Wrath?] - Logic

[Eh... Sure why not, I could use the exercise. See ya losers!] - Wrath

 

Staring down at the shadow that had once more taken on a familiar form as it tore through yet another tendril of encroaching water I shook me head and looked over at the Flesh Stalker that had also come along for the ride. It was, still somehow cute, despite it's extremely disturbing visage. What bothered me however, was that I still hadn't seen it's actual body. It's arms, seemingly fading into thin air, just ended suddenly rather than actually leading anywhere. What's worse is staring at where they ended for too long gave me a headache as the feeling of something scratching the back of my eyes grew stronger. I didn't know that things origin but whereever it came from I obviously wasn't meant to think to deeply on it.

 

[Wait no! Damn, why'd you let her go wild like that?!?] - Rose

[Do you really think I could control her enough to direct her in any useful way? It's better to just let her cause some chaos for the other side rather than rein her in.] - Logic

[I guess... but now what?] - Rose

[Honestly? I'm not sure, the books I was able to read in the library were surprisingly silent on the topic of protecting ourselves from outside attackers. Did your ahem, honorable, Grandfather Dragon Lord Mortem Restisis say anything about keeping us safe if we were attacked here?] - Logic

[All he said was that he'd leave a piece of himself to protect me until he came to get me. Wait that's it! He's the one that's been leaving those books, right?!? Maybe if I ask him nicely, he'll come to help!] - Rose

[It won't hurt to try.] - Logic

[Oi! Shitty old man! Stop snooping around like a pervert and get out here and help!] - Rose

[...] - The Uncomfortable Silence

[U-Umm I don't think tha-] - Logic

[While I am upset that you have referred to my Master with such derogatory terms your request has met the requirements for assistance, hold one moment please.] - ???


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
40