Chapter 129: New Allies? Not My Problem…
718 11 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So, this chapter starts us off with a bit of the consequences and benefits coming from the previous chapter as well as showcasing how MOST people view Rose in this world. Basically? She's a child. No complications, besides the normal familial expectations as a daughter of a Ducal line, and she's not expected to actually interact with events of national significance. Or at least minimally since she IS technically the individual that made this particular event even possible. Finding, and establishing contact with, the Arachne is a matter of historical importance. The type of thing that makes your name remembered for all time, more or less. And with that we get jealousy.

I won't be pursuing that angle within this chapter other than just setting up the beginnings of the narrative, but we get to see how the other Ducal houses react to the seemingly extraordinary accomplishments of the Amchier heir. Rose is, by everyone else's standards, an extreme future threat. And the other houses WILL react to deal with the threat, although in an appropriate way since directly coming into conflict with a child would be detrimental to an adult in any society. Future chapters will do more than just introduce the new characters and we'll see some of these characters quite a lot in antagonistic, and less than antagonistic, roles.

Since this arc will focus on being as fluffy as possible, as well as school life in general, I wanted to introduce characters that, while they could create drama, it would remain low stakes and only limited in scope. Nothing here that is super important world-wide but some of it might end up creating future problems and benefits as the characters grow older. Childish spats only stay that way outside of noble social circles and what may only be a minor dispute between children can be amplified as those children grow up to become important members of the nobility.

Anyway, enjoy!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Castle Anguis Throne Room - Rose's POV (Through Image Stone) -

[And with the introductions of our newly found allies finished I'd like to open the floor to Ambassador Shui Gui and her protege Lady Zhizhu.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

[Thank you, Your Royal Highness Queen Laura de la Anguis. We of the Arachne appreciate the kindness of you, and your family, in hosting our delegation. This of course includes your honorable niece, Lady Rose de la Amchier. Without her assistance we would have lost a valued member of our clergy as well as our future High Priestess.] - Ambassador Shui Gui

[Ahahaha, I am assured that your people feel so highly for my beloved niece. On another note, I'm told that you, Lady Zhizhu, are the person in question? You're being trained as the next High Priestess currently, correct?] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

 

In the last week since I'd left the Arachne city, they, in collusion with my Aunt Laura, had come up with a plausible sounding reason for their interest in allying with Anguis. Apparently, at least according to Aunt Laura, it was problematic at best to reveal the entire story. So, the fabrication of my group saving Zhizhu and her followers while they were being attacked was created. It would be presented as a heroic effort on our part that gained the trust of the elusive Arachne. The whole thing made me feel guilty since it was highly unlikely that the real truth would ever make it into history books, and I was aware enough to realize that it was likely to be taught as historical fact a generation or less from now.

The thought of permanently changing the historical narrative was alleviated though when Undine, disguised as the Ambassador Shui Gui, told me that it wasn't exactly uncommon for things such as that to occur. Especially when it dealt with alliances and relationships between sovereign countries.

As a side note Undine had apparently chosen an ancient name for herself to avoid calling attention to her spiritual origin. Although I guess her body itself was just a clone that she could change the appearance of without issue, so I figured the whole charade was a bit much.

 

[That is correct Your Highness. T-This one has the honor of succeeding my Naina-] - Zhizhu

[Ahem!] - Ambassador Shui Gui (Undine)

[I-I mean the previous High Priestess!] - Zhizhu

[Hahaha, quite impressive for someone your... age.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

 

The pointed look and pause that Aunt Laura gave the very prominent body parts of the busty Arachne showed that she had the same thoughts that I'd had when I first met Zhizhu. Namely that her age didn't match her appearance. Regardless though the meeting carried on with various formalities with little substance as I was told that the real negotiation would take place behind closed doors and would likely take several weeks to a few months.


- Castle Anguis Meeting Chambers Room - Rose's POV (Through Image Stone) -

[Phew, well that was stressful. Who were those women off to the right that kept glaring at me Auntie Laura?] - Rose

[Ah, if you mean the mottled green scaled one and the deep blue scaled one those are the Serpanis Duchesses. They jointly run the Twin Cities. You could say that their family is a direct rival to your own. Unfortunately, they'll most likely be taking some kind of action against you after this.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

[Huh? Why?!? What kinds of actions?] - Rose

 

The meeting had taken a while. Too long to be honest, with way too much political nonsense for my liking. I knew how to act, however. Be quiet until spoken to or asked a question, smile in a way that shows that you are listening but that you aren't inviting discussion. Luckily, I had a crutch to fall back on since I technically wasn't actually present at the meeting. Only participating through an Image Stone meant that, while I wasn't able to move on my own power, I also wasn't expected to do anything other than be present. My job wasn't to interact, it was to show off my accomplishment. More or less.

Which is why I was a bit surprised by the number of glares directed at me from a certain group of nobles. Unfortunately, I'd been fairly sheltered during my upbringing and, outside of a few attempts at setting me up to make friends with lower noble children I'd not interacted with many of my own station. A fact that I'd been gradually coming to terms with as viewing myself as the naive princess wasn't exactly doing wonders for my self-confidence. The consequence of this however was that I didn't really know the faces of important individuals. Now, at my age, I wasn't really expected to know each person of importance by name, I had been schooled on those of our rival Ducal Houses. Both that of our twin house Serpanis and the more recent Branch Family of Sanguis. Learning that they had it out for me already was a bit of a shock though...

 

[Nothing major I assure you; they wouldn't dare antagonize a child afterall. As for the reason? Well, you realize how important this contribution is right?] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

[I mean yeah, it had crossed my mind that it would help the war effort. Should I not have done that?] - Rose

[Oh no, it's fine! In fact, it's the reason that this turn of events is causing such ire in the other Ducal houses and their factions. The fact is that it's TOO impressive for someone of such a young age. The Serpanis Ducal House, and likely the Sanguis Ducal House to a lesser degree, view you as a major threat.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

[Okay...?] - Rose

[As a result I'd expect to see their children joining you in your schooling soon. They each have a child of roughly your age, and they'll likely view this as an opportunity to clip the problem you pose in the bud. I wouldn't worry though; they are of the same rank as you so open harassment would be viewed far less favorably.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

[W-What?!? Harassment?!? Auntie! Do you have any advice on what to do?!?] - Rose

[Hmm... Since you asked so sweetly let me think... Ah! The Sanguis child is a year younger if I remember correctly, I'd recommend approaching her and attempting to make an alliance. The Sanguis Ducal House has never been quite as antagonistic as that of the Serpanis. On top of that their house is almost as hostile to Serpanis as your own so she'd likely be open to act as a united front. I'll set up a meeting between your families in a neutral setting, outside of that I'm unable to do anything so the rest will be up to you.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

 

Bullying?!? It seemed that even in another world these types of interactions existed. I'd mostly forgotten about that sort of thing since most of the classmates that I interacted with had formed a sort of bond with each other over our shared circumstances. Sure, we still had groups that got along with each other more than others but for the most part we all acted fairly friendly with each other. Since I'd joined my class the only time I'd experienced any sort of major persecution had been the incident on the first day with those racist biggots. I'd still been a bit out of my element at the time and had hesitated to defend myself for fear of harming them but I hadn't truly been too effected by the experience. Something told me that having someone persistant enough to contantly pick at me would feel different though. That's why I was grateful to hear that only one of the two was guaranteed to be hostile, on top of that with the increased pressure from Queenly support neither of them would be able to act TOO aggressively. Abuse of personal connections FTW!

 

[I love you Auntie! Thanks!] - Rose

[Well now that that's over let's talk about your recent lax attitude with etiquette.] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

[Ah! Sorry Auntie I gotta go! Momma's calling me on this side! See you soon! Love you.] - Rose

[Don't you dare! Yo- And she's gone. Oh well I'll just catch her when she returns, I'm sure that her school would be MORE than happy to give her a bit of free time as a favor to me. I'll make a proper noblewoman out of you yet my adorable niece!] - Queen Laura de la Anguis

 

Seemingly finished with our conversation I was about to make my own goodbye's only to freeze when a certain taboo subject was brought up. Etiquette. <shudder>

Thinking quickly on my "feet" I utilized the oldest trick in the book besides purposely dropping a pan on the ground as a loud excuse to hang up. I lied about my parents calling me. Heh classic.


- Twin Cities of Geminus, Northern Castle, Governer's Hall, Several Days Later - ???'s POV -

[You understand the importance of what I'm asking you to do?] - Duchess Alice de la Serpanis III

[Yes mother. I have to humiliate the child of the Amchier house, Rose. M-May I please take m-my cousin with me, I-I'll be ever so lonely?] - Alice de la Serpanis IV

[Fool! This isn't a pleasure cruise! You need to show the prestige of the Serpanis Ducal House! Those traitorous Amchier need to be put in their place!] - Duchess Alice de la Serpanis III

[I-I understand mother. I apologize for speaking out of line.] - Alice de la Serpanis IV

[Good. As long as you understand. Now prove to me that you can live up to our family name. Dismissed.] - Duchess Alice de la Serpanis III

[Yes... mother.] - Alice de la Serpanis IV

 

The sad expression on the young child's face as she left her mother, the affection she sought not given, was seen in its entirety by the hidden observer watching them. The last, whispered, words as they vanished lamenting their inability to interfere with the spectacle before them before fading into the darkness to inform their master of the eventful mission. They had more than just words, and a childish plot to report back on. There were dark powers interfering with otherwise minor noble squabbles and they needed to return quickly.

Unfortunately, they'd never make it.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
30