Chapter 4: Crafting things! Its the Iron Age!
915 8 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Good morning! It’s day 3 for me in this world, so far I’m managing rather well and even got over my dislike of fish, it’s not too bad if you cook it as thoroughly as I do I guess. What about the deer I had saved? I ate it, it was my dinner… yeah I ate an entire deer in two sittings, I have no idea what is with my metabolism. Maybe it’s just ‘cause this body is new? Either way it’s now my favorite part of the day; Crafting!

Yesterday I made all of the tools I needed and even a simple furnace and anvil, so now I can make a few more things like more knives, maybe a sword? Ah but first I need a file or grindstone for that, didn’t think of that yesterday. Guess that’s my goal, I already can make wood and stone, also iron can be used for the reinforcements… also I’d rather not turn a lever while working on a sharp tool so I’ll make it with a pedal to turn the wheel for me. Setting to work I immediately made the stone wheel with my ability, I had it stand vertically for now and set about drilling a hole, hammering some wood into it, making the frame, and before I knew it I was practically on autopilot making this thing, but I could honestly say I was having fun.

It took a few hours since I didn’t use that ability to speed up the process, but it was worth it; the grindstone was done and perfectly sized for me to use comfortably! Now I can make some actual weapons, first lets make some knives. I make the smaller ingots I’ll need for these knives, intending something long enough to use as a dagger but also able to be reliably thrown if needed.

With the finished item in mind I begin with heating the furnace to the correct temperature, somehow I can just tell what heat the flames are at based on the colour and stop stoking it once the heat was right, placing my ingot in I can set to heating, watching the metal change colour till its glow was just right and bring it to the anvil bringing the hammer to bear on it. I lengthen it, shape it, reheat, shape, all of this over and over until I was certain it was ready to set, I quench it so that it hardens and let it cool in the air afterwards.

(Ria) “Haaa, so much work for a single dagger, and that’s just forging it, still need to hilt it, sharpen it, and sheathe it. Hehe and yet I wouldn’t have it any other way!”

I keep up this cycle for several more hours until my body reminds me that it has needs as well, deciding to stop there, I make yet another fish meal which I thankfully no longer mind the taste. Once I had eaten I go ahead and sharpen all of the daggers I made, surprisingly I made an actual dozen, having already put hilts and guards on them all I focus on balancing them although a bit crudely by inlaying stones into the hilts until each and every one was balanced the exact same. I’d rather not have to readjust with every knife, but thankfully it wasn’t too hard to match them all. Finally making some brace sheathes rather than individual ones, both saving leather and keeping them all easy access by making the sheathes built into hip armor, shoulder armor, and the back armor. Each brace was only holding 2 daggers, but this way I could draw in almost any situation.

(Ria) “Nice, I almost look like some kinda huntress or assassin with this on! Well it’s a bit late, but I’ll make a sword tomorrow so that’s exciting!”

----------------------------------------------------------[Interlude]--------------------------------------------------------

(???Female) “Roth! Look here!”

The adventurer elven woman was here in the woods, following the trail from the first herb that Ria had harvested, having found a smaller felled tree they went further in hoping to find some sign of the elf they were looking for.

(Male/Roth) “What is it Driina? Oh.”

What the two were looking at now was Ria’s first camp, unbeknownst to her she had left behind some scraps of the deer’s hide, which the elf named Driina was looking at.

(Driina) “Eldgoat hide… Isn’t an Eldgoat supposed to be D-rank?”

(Roth) “Without a doubt, its hide is normally too thick and sturdy for anything less than steel to harm, and its horns are like a warhammer… how the hell did a lone elf manage that?”

(Driina) “Not sure, but looks like they bled the beast and processed it, they camped here, and headed this way… if I remember right there should be a river in that direction, about a half day away.”

As they begin discussing this several howls could be heard, and some of them they could identify.

(Roth) “We’ll go tomorrow, the nocturnal predators are too much for just us two.”

(Driina) “What about the survivor?! You’re going to leave them out here?!”

(Roth) “I know what you’re thinking, but no, they’ve clearly survived at least one night out here, we won’t help them by putting ourselves at risk to things we can’t beat. We’ll head back, and then rush back to the trail in the break of dawn. That way we can use monster wards to close in as fast as possible.”

(Driina) “... fine, I know that’s the reasonable option, I’m just worried. There was definitely a tyrant bear howl, and those things get aggressive once they know that their territory has been intruded on.”

Having finished their talk, the two head back to their camp to rest and head out tomorrow.

16