Age Eleven – Rivelle (2)
31 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Mother, Urie will be alright. Don't be sad.”

Celeste was kneeling on the ground with Rivelle quietly sobbing in her arms. She tried to do her best to dispel her fears. Compared to a few minutes ago, her crying had somewhat settled as she nuzzled herself against Celeste's chest.

“Celeste, dear.” Her nose was stuffy and her voice sounded shaky. “Do you know where Urie is?”

“He—“ What should she tell him? That he got whisked to another place? She didn't know if he could immediately return. What words would best be used to reassure Rivelle?

“He's with my parents.” Celeste wasn't sure but she had to tell Rivelle something.

“I see... Then he should be fine? He's just visiting...” Her voice trailed off.

Celeste lowered her head to glance at Rivelle's face. She had fallen sound asleep with a smile of relief on her face. Celeste became stiff as a rock, afraid she was going to wake her.

Supporting the weight of an adult was hard for a child. As her arms were starting to give way, someone sat down beside her to support her. It was the maid, Patty.

“Milady, oh no, what should I do?” Patty was troubled, Rivelle was unconscious and she didn't have enough strength to move her. If only Ersha was here, then they could manage.

“I'll carry her. We just need someone to watch over this old thing.”

Dragging the knocked out headmaster by his collar, Merea appeared from the hole in the academy's wall.

[Just leave him, he's not capable of leaving the area anyhow.]

Sylvestris, in the body of a minor spirit, flew to Celeste's side.

[Kid, thanks for settling this troublesome girl. Please watch over her...]

He spoke a few words before he dissipated into thin air. He left.

Merea released the headmaster from her grasp and brushed her hands together before walking to her unconscious friend.

“Give her to me.” She knelt down and scooped up Rivelle with her arms.

“Maid, lead the way.” She instructed.

“Huh? Oh yes, ma'am. Time to go home, young miss.” Patty stood up with Celeste and they started their walk back to the Loeth Residence.

“Elicia, are you not coming?” Merea asked.

Elicia was standing still at the side, ruminating. Once she heard her aunt's call, she came to her senses and followed behind them.

- Loeth Residence -

Sacha Vinney was incredibly perplexed. He spent the whole evening running around the entire city looking for his grandchildren but when he returned to the Loeth residence, he found his daughter unconscious. Although Celeste and Elicia were found, his grandson was still absent.

“Merea, what happened?” He asked.

Merea was laying down on a couch in front of him. She looked exhausted, her hair was disheveled and her clothing was full of scratches. What had she been through?

“Nevermind, get your rest.” Deciding that now wasn't the time to inquire, he turned to the little girl sitting quietly on another chair.

“Child, what is your name?” He asked.

“Elicia.” She answered.

“Would you like something to eat? You must not have eaten yet, correct? Wait, here.”

Without waiting for her to answer, he left the lounge room and headed to the kitchen. Patty and Ersha were already there having a conversation, they were seated at the kitchen counter.

Seeing Sacha enter the room, they both stood up and greeted him with a slight bow.

“Come on you two, let's prepare something for dinner. Just a few portions will do, we can leave some on the side for if they decide to join us.” Sacha said.

The two nodded and Ersha prepared the utensils while Patty went out to set the table in the dining room. Elicia, who was in the other room earlier, was peeking through the door of the kitchen and ran into Patty.

“What's wrong young miss?” Patty asked.

Elicia felt tired but she needed something to do to keep herself busy. She couldn't sleep and she couldn't stay in the quiet room where her aunt slept. She thought that maybe she could help in the kitchen.

“Can I help?” She asked.

“Of course you can! The more hands the merrier!” Sacha said cheerfully.

Elicia entered the kitchen and came up to Sacha, “What should I do?”

“Well, do you know how to cook?” Sacha asked, to which Elicia shook her head.

“Oh, don't worry, she can show you how.” He pointed to the black-haired maid. ”Ersha, take out that thing we caught in the lake.”

Ersha reached inside a basket on the side.

Elicia heard a few splashing sounds before she saw her take something black, slender, and elongated out of the container. It was squirming, trying to get out of its captor's grasp.

“Wha-wha-wha-wha-what is that!?” Elicia stuttered.

“It's an eel, it's good for tired bodies, young miss.”

Ersha placed the live fish on a long chopping board and took out a knife.

“W-wait, are you going to—“

Elicia's question was answered even before she spoke it as the knife quickly came down on the eel's head. The color drained from her face as she saw how the body of the headless fish was still contracting.

“Did you watch carefully, young miss? Would you like another demonstration?” Ersha asked.

As she was about to reach into the basket for another eel, Elicia stopped her and told her one was enough.

“I suppose this portion will do since it'll just be the four of us eating.” Ersha said.

Elicia felt light-headed at first but soon started paying close attention to Ersha's fluid movements. She was entranced with how skillfully she prepared the eel.

Ersha slit the skin just behind the gills and circled the knife around its body, then pulled the skin back. She then gutted the fish and chopped it into suitable pieces. After she finished preparing the eel, she passed them over to Sacha, who was starting a fire with magic.

“Watch this little girl.” He said.

In contrast to Ersha's display, Sacha's movements were simple. He placed the eel on skewers over a grill and sat on a chair.

“You don't just place them over a fire. You have to distance it and watch carefully so that it will be cooked evenly.”

Although it was simple, there was careful attention to detail as he turned them over consistently. As one of the skewers seemed to be cooked, Sacha took a piece of the eel and blew on it before handing it over to Elicia.

“Here have a taste.” He said.

“It smells good,” Elicia thought.

She received the small piece and placed it into her mouth. Her eyes shined as she savored the bite. It was soft, fluffy, and slightly sweet.

“That's right, we also grilled fish this morning.” She remembered, they were bland, tasteless, and completely black on one side.

“Now, do you think one eel is enough for the four of us?” Sacha asked with a grin.

Elicia turned around abruptly and went over to Ersha to ask her to fillet another eel.

Sacha, seeing the little girl's downcast expression finally brighten, felt glad. There was only one other person left that needed cheering up. Though he wasn't worried as much since there was already someone on the job.

- Age 36 - Rivelle -

“Urie, dear, where have you been!?”

I held onto my son as tight as I could. He had gone missing earlier, just before my husband was to leave for the Erden wall.

“Urie, you really shouldn't be troubling our mother like this. It'll be bad for her heart.”

My eldest son, Vigril, wrapped a blanket around us and scolded his younger brother. Thank goodness they found him. Even if he was only at the fountain, it was still too late in the evening for a child to be outside.

“Yeah, little brother! You should at least tell me where you're going before you run away.”

This boy, Kyron! He shouldn't be saying that, even as a joke. Urie was just found, so I'll forgive him just this once. He was smiling at me but I didn't find it funny, I'll shoot him a glare for a little punishment.

Hmm? Heavy footsteps were resounding from outside the door. I recognized them, he should be the last one to show up.

“Urie! I heard they found him!?”

Gideon directed a question towards Vigril and Kyron. It's been a while since I've seen him this rattled, at least, not since our wedding. How cute.

“It's okay dear, he's here. They found him by the fountain.” I said.

He looked to me as I spoke and saw me caressing my youngest son's hair. The panic on his face disappeared and he heaved a sigh of relief.

“Urie, I'm glad you're safe, your mother would have been distraught if something had happened to you.”

Just me? I leaned a bit closer to Urie's ear,

“Your father was pretty unsettled earlier when he heard you had disappeared. He dropped his bags and ran outside to look for you.” I whispered.

Urie got up from my lap and turned to my husband.

“I—I'm sorry father.” He said.

“Urie, son...” Gideon wore his usual stern face as he spoke.

“In the future... Vigril and Kyron will be assisting me with command over the army fighting against the creatures attacking the Wall. I want you to stay here and take care of your mother, alright?”

Yes, that would be for the best. The other men should do the work and let little Urie stay here with mother.

“But father!” Urie exclaimed.

I held my breath as I thought that he might throw a tantrum but he held onto his words and stayed quiet. I placed my hands on his shoulders and brought him back into my arms.

“Gideon, you should stay here for tonight at least, spend a bit more time with Urie.” I said.

“No, it would be better if I leave earli—“ He stopped his words as I shot him a glare even more ferocious than the one I gave Kyron.

“Alright, I'll leave tomorrow.” He conceded.

Why was I remembering this particular memory? The memory of the first time my dear little Urie had run away.

His father was going to be absent for who knows how long. He needed a figure to look up to so I tried my best to keep my other sons from going to the wall.

They don't all need to go there but they made their stance. At least both of them agreed to stay until Kyron graduated from the academy.

My youngest was also talking about going to the wall. Maybe, just a little, I would have preferred if he didn't awaken to magic. No, he has always been enthusiastic about learning about magic, I'm happy that he can use it. I don't want to imagine what he would be like if he couldn't.

Now, my eager little boy is somewhere else. He hasn't even attended the academy for long. Celeste... little Celeste has been here for a year now. We still don't know of a way to send her back to her parents.

I opened my eyes. A familiar ceiling. Locks of crimson red hair coming into view as I turned my head to the side of my pillow. My hand was being clasped in between her two hands.

I thought of how this little girl, who was also having a hard time, was also trying her best.

“Mama...”

I felt her grasp tighten as those softly spoken words escaped her mouth.

“Mother...”

With her second utterance, I moved my other hand to overlap hers. Then I closed my eyes and continued to sleep while my lips curled up into an uncontrollable smile.

1