Chapter 195
479 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey! Hey hey hey!” when the class was over and Aimee, Thomas, Caroline and Jason walked out of the classroom after a semi-successful presentation on their first course project, they were stopped by the two students that sort of heckled them during their Q&A time, and their entourage: “Stop there! We want a word with you?”

“What’s up? Mr. Taylor Jensen and Mr. Robert Hendricks?” Caroline sighed and turned to the two hecklers and their entourage.

“Cool, you learned our names huh?” Taylor Jensen chuckled and shook his head: “That’s even better, makes things easier for us.”

“For you to do… what?” Thomas stepped forward.

“We’ve come to know that the four of you all came from civilian backgrounds. And surprisingly but not so surprisingly, the great Josephine Wong brought you here.” Robert Hendricks said: “I don’t know if you know, but our mentor, her name’s Dorothea Clarkson. And she’d be proud to know, that we’ve challenged you to a student duel.”

“Student duel? Is that even a thing?” Aimee asked.

“It is. It’s something that the academy encourages in order to boost up positive student rivalry and competitiveness.” Taylor Jensen explained with a smug smile: “Maybe it’s not covered in the new student orientation - that kind of information can be too daunting for students who do not yet possess the required fighting capabilities.”

“Well, they’re detectives before coming in here.” Caroline pointed at Thomas and Aimee: “And Jason and I are… well trained.”

“Yeah we don’t really care. We just want to challenge you to a student duel. The proposed terms are: best of three, two rounds of one on one, and the final round two on two.” Taylor Jensen said: “Or, if you want each of you to have a chance to shine on the duel ground, we can do best of nine and with a final group fight of four on four, anyway, your choice.”

“What if we don’t accept?” Aimee asked: “You can’t duel us by force, right?”

“Yes. The Grant Academy is a warm, open and friendly place where you don’t have to engage in student dual if you don’t want to.” Robert Hendricks said with a smile: “But, beware, since you’re the first group of students coming from the civilian world that we have for some time, this is not a good look on future students with civilian backgrounds.”

“Really?! We’re the representation of students with civilian backgrounds?!” Aimee asked: “I don’t think the students of Ms. Clarkson have to worry about that, since I’m pretty sure she has other students that can bring in a good light.”

“If you’re unsure of yourselves, you have time to think about it. ” Robert Hendrick’s eyes twitched: “We will book the duel ground - one week from now, same time as today. Come or don’t, it’s up to you. ”

“Oh, thank you for being so considerate.” Aimee shook her head and signaled the other three in the group to leave.

“Okay. You guys have a plan?” when all four of them sat down in the school canteen for lunch, Caroline asked: “If not, Jason and I could teach you some close quarter combat art training...”

“I think that’s a good idea.” Thomas immediately said.

“But… we have our daily training with Glenda.” Aimee nudged Thomas with her elbow and said: “Ms. Wong introduced us to her - we just had two sessions, maybe today we can ask her about combat training? Do you guys wanna join?”

“Glenda? Who is that?” Jason asked.

“Glenda Grimes, she’s a TA here, and she used to be Ms. Wong’s student. Since we never had any experience with magic, she arranged some additional training so that we can catch up.” Aimee sighed: “We could have started earlier - but we haven’t completely made up our mind until it was days before attending ...”

“YOU haven’t made up your mind. I was all in from day one.” Thomas chuckled with mockery but still held onto Aimee’s shoulder: “But it’s okay, at least we took one last shot at the Drainer case - even though we didn’t catch the killer, we know who did it.”

“Hmm. Is it possible if we join you in training?” Jason thought for a while and then asked: “I mean, if that’s okay.”

“Sure. I don’t see why not, I can ask Glenda.” Thomas nodded and turned to Caroline: “I think she’d like that - we could use some people to spar with.”

“Great, then it’s settled, we’ll ask Glenda. And we’ll take the duel. No matter what, at least put up a good fight.” Aimee said: “You guys got any tips on fighting obnoxious magic wielders?”

“Yeah… come to think of it, we don’t actually have any experience fighting actual magic wielders.” Jason laughed out loud: “We’ve fought ghosts in limbo, ghosts in real life, monsters mutated from paranormal energy, but no, no actual magic wielders. That gangster with super power is the closest thing we ever got.”

“So, why don’t you come when we ask her? Since you were also recommended by Ms. Wong, I don’t think she’ll mind.” Thomas said.

“Let’s hope we’re not being too forward.” Jason nodded: “Thanks!”

“It’s okay. Don’t worry about it.” Thomas chuckled, then realized that Jason was not paying full attention and was staring at somewhere behind him and on his right: “Huh? What are you looking at?”

“Hey Caroline, you see that guy there?” Jason hesitantly pointed at the direction.

The other three all turned to look, and all they saw was a chubby Chinese man eating two big piles of food, and on his side there was a small tower made of chicken and turkey bones. The chubby man saw that they were staring, and responded to them with a happy smile, then he just lowered his head and continued his battle against the food in his plates.

“What about him? Is it the amount of food?” Aimee asked with a low voice: “Isn’t that a little … insensitive?”

“What? No!” Jason waved his hands to signal his denial: “Do you feel like you’ve seen him somewhere else before Caroline?”

“Yeah, a little bit. He looks kinda… familiar.”

----------------------------------------------

My sincere gratitude for Ab, my first patron! Thank you very much!

11