Vol. 1 – Chapter 5
4.2k 43 99
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi guys! Emperor93 here!
I would like to thank Crunchy Cherry for the illustration he drew for this chapter. To see more of his works click on his name.

Enjoy the chapter!

— • — • — • — • — • —

***(Graeval's POV)***

"This time there are four of us dear."

As soon as I heard Tilly make that statement, I turned towards the entrance and noticed that there were two other hooded people behind them. Then a smell pinches my nose. This perfume is... I smiled instinctively. I watched Lilith as she escorted the four guests inside

“Welcome back. You just can't stay away from this kitchen huh?"

"Fufufu. The dishes you prepare are always delicious, by now we are addicted to them."

"Ihihih. I'm glad to hear that." I chuckled crossing my arms "Anyway, I never expected to see you again after all this time... Sarity." I started looking at the outermost hooded woman.

“Ahahah! He discovered you daughter." Tarkart laughed heartily

"......How did you find me out?" Sarity asked, lowering her hood and showing me her dejected expression. Waah… she hasn't changed in 3 years...

"From the perfume." I said pointing to my nose "I would be able to recognize it among a thousand. It is the perfume of a girl who, despite her age, continues to have traces of childhood."

"Now you're kidding me."

Even though Sarity looked at me with an irritated expression, her parents were laughing under their breaths and Lilith was laughing too even though she was wary. The same could be said for the other figure who covered his mouth while laughing with a style... far too elegant.

“You know I've never done that. In any case, I understand your return after all this time but..." I began and then stood next to Lilith and turned to the last hooded figure "I never thought you would also bring Jack Lingxin's first wife, her highness, Cordelia, so far." I started with a small bow.

Everyone was surprised by my statement. Especially Sarity's parents. Raising his hand to his mouth, the last hooded figure spoke to me. A female voice.

“Oh my. What makes you think I'm princess Cordelia?"

“Three reasons: your movements are elegant and well laid, a level that can only be achieved after having done a lot of etiquette practice; the perfume you used is rose, a perfume that very few nobles can afford; finally it was enough for me to look at the surprised expressions that those present have just made."

"Ha... ahahaha!" the woman laughed before lowering her hood "Really amazing."

The woman has slightly long bob hair and has a navy blue color typical of members of the royal family, green eyes, a very feminine face, and very lightly made up, while the lips are dyed with a light red lipstick. A beautiful woman, no doubt.

"Satisfy my curiosity. Removing the third reason, Emilyn and Ridel also studied etiquette, after all, they too are noble and they too could have worn a perfume similar to mine. How did you come to that immediate conclusion."

"Even if they used the label, my nose is hardly wrong." I said looking into her eyes. “The first time I met her, Lady Emilyn still had traces of blood despite using a lily of the valley perfume, plus it is evident from her behavior that she is someone who loves living on the battlefield. Lady Ridel is another story as she is much more feminine than Lady Emilyn however, I have heard that in recent times she has often been locked up in her laboratory. I guess it's full of herbs and since she goes there every day, that smell will have stuck to her skin."

"Amazing."

“If a chef has to cook well, he cannot rely on taste alone. Even the eyes and nose want their share."

"I understand." said the princess with a slight smile "Now let me introduce myself, I'm Cordelia Calsay Belmont."

"It is an honor to meet your highness." I began by pointing me "I am Graeval while the beautiful woman next to me is my wife." I said softly as I took Lilith's hand

"Lilith, very pleased." she introduced herself blushing slightly.

Cute!!!

***(Sarity's POV)***

This woman... is his wife? I was blown away. I thought she was a simple waitress... that Graeval was still a bachelor and instead...

Platinum blonde hair is gathered in a chignon that becomes silver based on the reflection of the light, covered with a blue bandana. Her eyes are emerald green and her face looks very young. She wears simple clothes with a white apron.

“Mahhh! Congratulations." Cordelia complimented pleasantly surprised

"A real surprise right?" my mother asked looking at me “I never thought you would get married to this beautiful woman. I always believed that you would marry my daughter."

"Mom!" I scolded her with slightly warm cheeks

“Ahahah! Things went like this. I don't regret even a little about taking Lilith as a wife on the contrary..." Graeval's gaze shifted to his wife and it was sweet. "If I was given the chance to go back, I think I would find her and marry her again."

"Wh-wh-what are you saying in front of everyone?!" Lilith asked embarrassed with her face completely red

Why? Why?! Why?!! Why do I feel a weight on my heart?!!! I love Jack. I love him and yet... seeing Graeval create that sweet vibe with his wife made me feel sick.

It's been 3 years. I don't know what I was hoping for, but I didn't think I would feel this way seeing him with another woman. He refused me, pushing me to love Jack even more, and yet, only one thought crossed my mind: Why am I not by his side?

Could this be jealousy? Why should I be jealous of Lilith? I married the man I love and yet... Why am I so jealous of her?

“Now, even if we had already cleaned everything, we will make an exception for you. Lilith, could you go set up a table?"

"Of course."

"No menu though, after all..." Graeval gave a sinister grin "last to arrive, badly fain."

“Ugh! Please take it easy with us." my father said taking a step back

"Relax..." Graeval said taking a bandage and squeezing it on his forehead "I'm certainly not going to serve you failures."

He smiled. It was the smile of a person who was having a great time. With that expression, he went behind the counter, took a pot, and began to cook.

“The table is ready. You can sit down." Lilith said pointing to the table she had set "What can I bring you to drink in the meantime?"

“For me a beer! For the ladies..."

"Water will be fine." my mother said without consulting us

Once seated, I turned back to Graeval. Like the first time I saw him cook: that smile, the burning eyes, those movements as perfect as they are elegant... it was like being in front of a show.

"For sure, he knows how to entertain guests." Cordelia said attracted by that show

Lilith returned shortly after with drinks and a snack consisting of olives and a mixture of vegetables that looked greasy.

"To pass the wait, I brought you some olives and some Giardiniera."

"Giardiniera?"

“It is a dish created by my husband. They are vegetables cooked and preserved in a jar together with a sauce. The full name should be Giardiniera in Bittersweet."

Intrigued, I took a slice of carrot and chewed it... the sweetness and crunchiness of the carrot spread around my mouth while I felt a rather pleasant sour taste on my tongue. Astonished, I also tried the others. The cauliflower, the sedan, the onions, the peppers, and even the cucumbers... the textures were different, but the sour taste that I felt each time united them.

Suddenly, I smelled a scent coming from the kitchen... a scent of cooked meat, however, was different from usual, almost sensual.

"It's ready." Graeval said coming to the table with two plates accompanied by Lilith

On the plate placed in front of us, was what looked like a small roast, accompanied by some mixed vegetables. The outside had a burnished color and the smell alone fascinated me.

“Here is the Roast of the Farmer. Enjoy your meal"

"This is new, right?" my father asked puzzled

"I originally intended to cook it for last week's cooking challenge, but then I decided to use that recipe."

"Ahahah. You were close to winning."

"Losing serves to improve Tarkart." Graeval said quietly, smiling

"Now without delay, enjoy your meal." my mother urged

I took the cutlery, cut a piece, and then looked at the section: the outside was certainly meat but the inside looked like a yellowish-brown porridge. I ate it... the crunchiness of the toasted meat followed by the creaminess of what look like potatoes soaked in gravy... they seemed to explode in my mouth.

"Potatoes?!" I exclaimed surprised

"Exactly." Graeval confirmed. “You see, potatoes have the ability to absorb the juices of the meat. The one wrapped in pork Bacon is a puree of potatoes, onions, and chopped and fried mushrooms which thanks to the vegetable fibers of the latter can absorb even better the fat released by the meat.

"If you had told me it was a meat-only roast I would have believed it!" Cordelia exclaimed enraptured by the taste of the dish.

It was such a sensual dish that it was addictive. Every time I swallowed a bite, my mouth wanted to be filled with another piece. But I didn't feel only that, it seemed to me that I saw Graeval's face when we were still children... why?

"Uh? Why are you crying, honey?"

"Huh?"

I did not notice it. Tears are running down my cheeks. This flavor was nostalgic.

"This isn't the first time you've eaten this dish, is it?" Graeval asked looking at me softly "You know, the idea of this dish came to me from a dish that Tarkart always served us when we were children."

"Children? Ah! You talk about the roast with mashed potatoes, right?"

"Precisely. On your plate, you always put a bed of mashed potatoes and a slice of meat on top. That dish is all enclosed in there."

"To think that you would have taken that recipe to turn it into such a dish... I am speechless."

"I will be sincere. I've been thinking about this recipe for 3 years. After all, there is a personal reason why I wanted to do it today."

I felt a strong, calloused hand touch my head. I turned and saw Graeval looking at me as if he had given up on something. I don't know why, but he was gently stroking my head... like he did when we were kids to console me.

"3 years ago our meeting was a disaster, so let's start from scratch..." he smiled at me "Welcome back, Sarity."

I couldn't. The tears didn't stop. In that dish, I had experienced that nostalgic warmth again and the way it caresses my head makes me go back in time when we were still carefree and I loved him. You're cheating.

“*Hic*, I'm home, Graeval. *sniff*"

It was automatic. I hugged him and despite my tears copiously wet his clothes, he continued to caress my head and comfort me. Really... you're being unfair.

***(Graeval's POV)***

After she calmed down and all four of them finished their meal, Lilith and I accompanied them to the door and greeted them as they walked away. Back inside, Lilith pinched my cheek looking at me irritably.

“Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!" I exclaimed in pain "And what was this for?!" I asked in surprise after Lilith left me.

"Nothing in particular."

"Won't you be jealous?"

“Don't say nonsense. How could I ever be jealous." she stated looking the other way

I bet your cheeks are red. Her reactions are the best! Too cute!!

"Yeah, for sure." I said pulling her to me and kissing her

As our lips parted, Lilith looked down slightly red in embarrassment. Although when we are at home she does, she never shows these expressions when we are in other places, even in this restaurant, she gets embarrassed easily. As some people would say, it would tend towards Tsundere in public and Deredere in private. If I call her honey at home she shows off a beautiful smile, but if we are in public she is still happy but turns red with embarrassment. Every time I feel like teasing her when she does this.

"Hey..." Lilith began "Was it necessary?"

I sighed. Even I in her shoes would have been jealous if I hadn't known anything.

"Sarity is the Saint and above all a childhood friend of mine, I probably consider her a little sister."

"In fact, between you and her there are about forty years of difference." she said looking at me with eyes that tell me 'it's obvious' while I giggled to get rid of the embarrassment.

“Anyway, I don't know if I liked her as a woman before she left, but now you're the only one who I love, Lilith. There is no one else in my heart."

"Even if... why?"

"I can't cut ties with someone I grew up with like it's nothing." I said looking towards the front door. “Even though we didn't have the best of meetings 3 years ago, my behavior was dictated by the most logical decision I could make. Also, in extreme cases, I can try to leverage our friendship to get out of it."

"You won't mean..."

"I do not want to lose you." I said with conviction looking into her eyes "If they ever find out who you are and send the Hero and Sarity to complete the job they have not been able to complete, I will not hesitate to reject them, but I want to avoid killing them until the last."

"Holy patience." Lilith sighed looking away, all red "You don't need to worry up to this point..."

"Maybe." I said, gently taking her chin; her eyes looked like a puppy's. “But you are everything to me. As long as I have life and even at my death, you will always be my sweet wife Lilith. Anyone who dares to target you will have to pass over my corpse." I concluded kissing her again.

99