Chapter 22 – On the Job (skippable)
3.9k 7 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I first got to the school, I thought that being a guard was a super easy job. Sure there was the stress that the upper classmen were way tougher than any of us but the threat of expulsion kept them from being too crazy. The hardest thing I had to do was to keep the teenage girls from getting into the boy's dorms. Mac, Larry and myself took turns guarding the dorm and doing patrols around the campus.

It was not until a month had passed that things began to get weird. Larry and Mac stopped talking to me after they tried to get me to use a golden rose to woo girls. I informed them that Old Ralph did not need any magic to get a girl. It must have irked them because they have been avoiding me since then.

It was not long after that I noticed some of the children were acting like zombies and just staying in their rooms. If their friends succeeded in dragging them out, I would occasionally see them just staring off into space. It really did not fall under my job description but they were kids so I felt I needed to get to the bottom of this.

Another week passed as I snooped about. I saw a few teachers going into student's room and hoped it was a study session. They did not stay too long so it was probably on the up and up. On the tenth day of my investigation, I saw a small group of teens carrying another into the Faculty building around midnight. The health department was not in that building so if the kid was hurt and needed to be carried they should be going in the other direction.

I waited outside for around ten minutes before the group came back out, minus the boy they were carrying earlier. They left silently, not saying a word. I went into the building after they were out of sight. I looked around but could not find the child. However I was unable to go into the basement and the top floor.

Weird…

My days now consist of eavesdropping on the students I see going into the faculty building and I began to get a bigger picture of what was going on and who was doing what. Strangely, a lot of the conversations were about Alice and her two friends. Whatever they have been trying has not worked on them and they do not know why. It was making them nervous.

It's been another week and I overheard that they planned on making a move on Alice and her friends today. By the time I overheard it, I was too late to save the blonde. I think her name was Bell something. They half carried her into the faculty building and disappeared by the time I entered the front door.

I was too late and I began to get discouraged. I needed to help these kids but did not know how. I started to move to where I last saw Alice, which was the girl's dorms. I saw her and her friend walking toward the garden.

I looked around for threats but other than kids I did not see any. The groups of kids were just talking to each other and I did not know if they were dangerous or not. I loitered around for a while before I saw a group led by a teacher heading right to where Alice was. There had to be a half a dozen kids and I knew I did not have enough magic to take on one of these prodigies.

Looking around I saw a group of kids that were traveling with the wagons I was guarding. They were about to leave the school and could already be considered men. At least two of them were healed by Alice during that trip. I knew because I was laying there when they were dragged over. I walked over and spoke to the group since I could not remember their names. "Not sure if it matters to ya but I think your friend is in trouble" and pointed over to where I saw the last group going. "That Alice girl." I tried to keep my concern out of my voice and when I said her name they were already moving.

I smiled. It was good that the younger generation still has the pride to repay debts. I just hoped they were as impressive as I remember

145