(9) “Welcome back, dear.”
1.9k 16 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 9 - “Welcome back, dear.”

 


Lilith


I open my eyes to the bright afternoon sunlight assaulting my senses, shining in through the hole in the corner of this room, ‘my head feels like I have a worse hangover than time at Alice’s house on christmas, ugh pretty sure I didn’t drink a liter of vodka, definitely didn’t have anything fun happen,’ I think as feel the uncomfortable poking sensation and notice how twisted my back is. As I try to sit up a piece of broken wooden chair leg, covered in dried blood and ending with a sharp tip slides off my stomach and onto the floor.

Looking down at my body I see no signs of injury, just some splinters scattered about on my shapeshifted clothing, the pristine white lab coat having not so much as a scratch. As I stand up I can see what was poking me, on the floor is part of a broken chair, one of the legs was pushing into my back, red blood stains cover the chair and the floor, but the leg itself is cleanly removed, almost to a polished sheen.

Looking down at the chair leg that fell off my stomach, I can see the same thing on the larger side, presumably the one that would meet up with this one. Curious I hold it down toward the chair but discover they don’t perfectly fit, actually, it seems as though a piece is missing. Thinking a moment, I look at the chair, the leg in my hand, then down to my torso. Picking up the remains of the chair, I hold both sides of the leg against the front and back of my torso trying to get as good of a look as I can.

It seems like the missing chunk matches the thickness of my torso pretty well. I can’t help but feel a little creeped out at the prospect that my wound healed around the wood and part of the chair is now inside of me. I try to focus on my body, remembering the feeling of trying to suck up the blood from the dirt, I try to feel so ‘something’ that doesn’t ‘belong’ but I cannot.

For some reason this makes me feel a bit of panic, what kind of germs might be on that chair? Can I get sick? So many questions. I, perhaps a bit irrationally, pull the clothing away from the area and with my claws stab into myself feeling for the wood. I expected it to hurt and braced myself, but for some reason it felt as though I was simply cutting through a thick semi-solid that simply recombined after the knife passed through, or, in this case, my claws.

Curious, I draw one of the swords I have collected, and poke it into the same spot, this time it was prudent to brace for pain as it did indeed come, along with blood. Pulling the tip back out, I look at my blood on the blade, there is blood both dried along the length from before as well as fresh on the tip. I put my finger to my wet blood and ‘sip’ with my shapeshifting, as one might ‘sip’ a drink through a straw. And it nearly instantly soaks into my finger. The dried blood however, feels much more difficult. Not nearly like that of my blood in dirt, but, maybe, more like trying to chew icecubes. I stop trying to get more of it after a few moments, noticing I have only managed to remove a couple inches(~5cm) worth at most.

Instinctively I spit as if I’d tasted something bad, despite it having nothing to do with my mouth. I think I’d rather not do that again. More importantly, where did that wood go? Spending some time to think about things I realize that with all the injuries I’ve had thus far, if I could get sick or infected like a normal person I probably would have by now. It is still bothering me about the missing wood. I rub that area of my torso a little more before restoring the clothes to normal.

Feeling like I’ve had enough for today, I shift out of the lab coat costume, take the fuzzy caterpillar still laying on the table and reattach it to my hand and reshape it back into my finger. And begin to think about what to do next. Pacing around the room I feel bouts of frustration, as many of the ideas are ruined by my inability to understand the language. Clearly it should be a priority. This whole RPG system is weird too, and those garbled skills are concerning.

Concerning… concerns… as I ponder that thought a flashback hits me, the image of my arm reaching out for the blood red pendant, along with Izanami’s words, “Take this, and while you hold or wear the pendant, anytime you desire you may come back here and speak to me. You will need to concentrate for a few moments, just think of me and this place here. I will discuss your concerns with you at any time.”

Leaning back against the wall as I reach down I find the pendant still hanging from my neck, and clutch it within my palm, and concentrate on Izanami and the void I met her in.

 


Meeting with Izanami


Lilith felt the atmosphere around her change, along with the smell of the air, somehow fresh and stale at the same time, lightly tainted with the sickly sweet smell of smoke, she opened her eyes to see Izanami casually smoking her long pipe, with the same stool and table as their prior encounter.

“Welcome back, dear.” Izanami said warmly, taking another puff of her pipe before she spoke again with a small chuckle, “Nice of you to visit me again.”

Nervously Lilith approached her, a second stool, a drink in a champagne glass, along with a plate of fancy snacks appeared as Izanami motioned toward the stool, “Have a seat and help yourself dear.” her sweet voice accompanying a mischievous smile.

Lilith slowly approached the table, and tried to speak but found herself unable to, not because of anything Izanami did but simply because she realized something at this moment. She wanted to make a fuss about a great many things, such as how weird she thought the RPG system was, some her skills appeared garbled and possibly broken, how she was thrown as an adult into the world with no information and no guide, and couldn’t even speak the language, no chance to grow up and learn things ‘normally.’ The weight on her mind about the fact she wouldn’t even be here to complain if not for Izanami reincarnating her silenced Lilith as she began to reconsider her words.

Lilith sat down and grabbed the champagne glass, closed her eyes, and took a large sip. The lightly bubbly liquid teased her lips as she drank, tasting lightly sweet and faintly of strawberry, one of her favorite fruits. As she drank she considered her words, she felt upset over how unprepared Izanami had left her, and wanted to discuss how weird and unhelpful the ‘RPG’ stuff seemed. Forefront on her mind is how is she even supposed to get this magic ‘training’ for example? 

Opening her eyes again, several moments later, she looked at Izanami, who seemed as unreadable to her as before, somehow sickly sweet, welcoming but distant, and warmly cold, an oxymoron personified. Lilith took a deep breath then spoke, “The RPG system or whatever you want to call it that you made seems a bit lacking, and some abilities seem bugged, unless I’m missing something?”

Chuckling mischievously, Izanami exhaled a puff of smoke from her pipe then counters, “What makes you think I created it?”

Lilith was shocked, and it showed on her face. She had never thought to consider the fact Izanami was not responsible for her entire experience in the new world. “Y- you didn’t? Then—“ she trailed off in her reply.

Amused at Lilith’s expression Izanami finished her puff and then replied, “I merely snuck you in.”

“But, why? And who made it?” Lilith asked with visible confusion.

With a sly smile, Izanami replied, “I have my reasons, I will tell you eventually if I feel you are ready.” Pausing to savor another puff from her pipe, she tilts her head back slightly as she expels the smoke cloud, before looking towards Lilith as she speaks, “As for who made it, is it not obvious by now? Another God created it.” 

Lilith frowned slightly as she questioned, “What is your relationship to this other God?”

Izanami’s lips curled into a devious smile as she simply responded, “Mmm, let us suppose, dear, that he is not exactly on friendly terms.”

It was as Lilith feared, nervously she asked for confirmation, “This world belongs to that other God?”

Still smiling, Izanami replied with a chuckle, “For the time being.”

Lilith could feel her heart beginning to race as she offered up her next question, “What are you expecting of me here?”

Izanami’s expression became warmer as she spoke sweetly, “My Dear, you need not concern yourself for now.”

Lilith’s anxiety rose to match her quickened heartbeat, as she began to speak “But I am concerned, I know nothing about anything, I can’t speak to anyone to learn, the RPG system won’t give me spells, where do I even get this ‘training’ I need? Worse yet, people tried to kill me, some maniac wants to experiment on me. I have no idea how to use most of my abilities, there’s barely a paragraph for most of them and some are just garbled text. I feel completely unprepared for anything!” She was breathing very heavily now, after her rant she was clearly agitated. 

Looking at Lilith with a smile across her face, Izanami took another puff of her pipe and simply responded, “I see.”

Lilith felt angry, she understood that she was meant to be used, she was going to be Izanami’s tool, she didn’t really care, it was better than being in that hell of reliving her murder, but the anger, and frustration of it all, her past life, the murder, this world, feeling like a clueless toy, it erupted from her before she realized it, she found herself standing over the table, her claws ripped into the table as she slashed at the tray of fancy snacks, scattering them into the void.

“Mmhmhmhm, the passionate rage within your heart is exceptional, my dear,” Izanami chuckled as Lilith continued to stand there maintaining her angry posture while breathing heavily. 

She stood there a moment, facing an unfazed Izanami who simply took another puff from her pipe. Further frustrated by Izanami’s continued nonchalant attitude, Lilith growls, “Use me how you like but be honest with me!”

Izanami seemed unfazed, exhaling a puff of smoke as she replied, “I promised to discuss your concerns, I never promised that you would like the answers.”

Like a marionette whose strings were cut, Lilith collapsed to her knees, as her anger and frustration drained from her like water down a bathtub with the drain plug removed. ‘What am I doing?’ she thought to herself, confused by her sudden outburst. Her attention was shifted away from her thoughts as Izanami laughed in a cackle.

Tears began to flow from Lilith’s eyes, her emotions felt twisted and jumbled together into an unrecognizable mess. She did not know what she was supposed to do, or why she felt the way she did. She was questioning who she even was.

As Izanami stopped laughing she addressed Lilith again, “Mmm, sorry Dear, I stoked the anger in your soul a bit. It lurks within you like a monster beneath a still lake, it can make a powerful ally but be mindful lest it consume you.”

Lilith continued to stay in her slumped position, without raising her head to look at Izanami, she said in a wobbly voice, “What am I even supposed to do? I don’t understand the world, and I can’t speak to anyone to learn, how can I do anything for you when I don’t feel prepared in the slightest?”

“For now, simply survive and grow. Do not concern yourself with time. An unbloomed Rose is of no use to me.” Izanami responded coolly as she took another puff of her pipe, exhaling the sickly sweet smoke in Lilith’s direction.

As the puff of smoke settled around Lilith she could smell it as she unwittingly took in a deep breath, realizing when she exhaled that she was back within the city, still leaning against the wall, only instead of the pendant in her hand, was a champagne glass filled with the same drink as before.

 


Elicia


“Elicia Sweetwood reporting for duty,” I responded as I saluted the guard at the Ministry of Defense building in Rimewallow.

“Alright, head in, the receptionist at the desk will direct you,” the guard told me in a flat tone, it was hard for me to tell if he was bored or trying to be serious.

Taking in a deep breath, I step into the room, approach the desk planning to introduce myself, but the receptionist speaks before I can, “Ah, Miss Elicia Sweetwood I presume?” without waiting for me to respond he continued, “I was told to direct you to the armory, you’ll be joining the 3rd search group, and are to be outfitted with a rookie guard uniform.”

I was a little annoyed at the prospect, “Do I really need to? I am much more comfortable in my current armor.” I asked, trying to maintain a polite tone despite my annoyance.

“I’m sorry Miss Elicia but all search parties are required to wear identifying uniforms, however you may continue to wear your current armor if you can incorporate it with the uniform, the cloths with the insignias and cape, and helmet are most important.” he politely replied.

Curious, I inquired, “Why the helmet also?”

“They want all search parties to look similar and blend in with normal guards, in addition the target might be able to recognize you without it.” the receptionist answered.

Thinking for a moment, I told him, “Ah, I’m not sure if… she took the time to look at me much, but I suppose it’s best to be safe, alright, I understand.”

He motioned for me to follow him, “Very well, please follow me this way, also please be prepared to brief the squad leader on your skills, abilities, and spells after you are dressed.”

 


Meanwhile, within the Ministry of Defense Building


Kharius stood over the low grade divining crystal, as he aligned it within an apparatus until a small light passing through it was projected onto a piece of paper, satisfied he replaced the light with a small glass container holding some of the dirt sample containing Lilith’s Blood collected earlier.

Checking once more to make sure everything was properly set up, he begins channeling his mana through the device, causing a flow to form, entering the blood sample, then the crystal, and finally projecting onto the paper.

The paper began to slowly fill with some details:

Name:

Lilith Everhart

Race: 

Human

Gender: 

Female

Age: 

23 years

Abilities:
None
 
Attribute Distribution:
Strength:  4 Wisdom:  2
Stamina:  6 Charisma:  6
Intelligence:  5 Luck:  4
 
Classes:
None
Spells Known:
None



 

 

 

Kharius was confused by what he saw, it seemed exceptionally ordinary, a 23-year-old noncombatant set of information was being presented to him. He felt, beyond almost any shadow of a doubt, that his special catch, was the one who had lost this blood. 

The result was so perplexing he tried two other crystals, each higher quality than the last. He did not have access to the two highest grades at the moment, but even the highest one which he did have, should not be fallible by any but the strongest magic, and even then it should require active intervention, if the person being read is applying their mana directly it is possible to manipulate results to some degree on lower-end crystals, but for samples taken from a person, that should be impossible.

He certainly hadn’t attempted to modify the results, and to his knowledge, no other way was possible to alter the results. The number of people within the kingdom with strong enough magic to even alter their own results on the highest grade crystal he had access to numbered less than two dozen.

The only information of worth to him was the name, ‘Lilith Everhart,’ taking one of the papers, Kharius left the room, determined to uncover every shred of information that exists.

Hello again, my lovely readers!

Another chapter completed! Yay! I hope I'm doing alright with the glimpses of other things going on. They're a bit short, hopefully it's not jarring or anything. I could write more but I feel like for the most part, sticking to what matters to the plot for them is alright? Lilith is really the only character I let ramble on and talk in detail because, well, she's the main character, and right now the main focus.

There may be points later on where other characters get more time, but right now I feel like, if it's not adding much to the plot I can leave it out? Let me know what you think if you disagree. For those of you wanting more insight into characters like Elicia or Kharius, I do want to write some scenes more focused on them at some point, once they have more involvement with the story. Believe me, I have some plans for Elicia, in particular. Hehehe ~.^

Oh, I also wanted to add, that I think a cadence of 3 chapters a week seems decent for me right now. I do want to build up some buffer too as right now I have none really. Unless something crazy happens I plan to keep releasing a chapter every 2 to 4 days. I will post any updates in the comments of my latest chapter. There are also profile comments, so I guess I could leave a note on mine if anything happens.

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a lovely day!

Enjoying so far? (Thank you & Comments are helpful!)
  • Yes Votes: 42 97.7%
  • No (If commenting, Why? Also: Preference or Improvement?) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not Sure Votes: 1 2.3%
Total voters: 43
45