Chapter-2
5.4k 8 106
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Preparations were quickly made. Father and Sebastian got into full work. 

One by one, nobles all made their way to the capital. The Empress’s death is by no means a minor event.

As for me, I am still gazing at the bed where my mother used to stay. Whenever I close my eyes, I can still see mother’s final smile. I once again broke down, tears flowing uncontrollably. Yet, time flew on, dawn became morning. 

“Your highness, you have to get ready.”, Sebastian, slowly knelt whispering into my ears. With no energy in my body, I could only nod. I unsteadily stood and made my way towards my room.

“Get his highness’s dress ready. At the same time, bring him something light to eat.”, Sebastian gave out orders to the maids in my room.

One of the maids placed a pot of porridge in front of me. I had no appetite, I feel nothing after yesterday night.

“Your highness, please eat.”, the maid begged.

“Please...eat...Your highness...please”, she started crying.

Perhaps, out of guilt, I parted my lips slightly. Taking the hint, the maid wiped her tears away and started feeding me.

It had no taste, I had to force it down my throat. The porridge was completed. The maids somehow changed my clothes. 

I was wearing a completely black suit with the symbol of the Zemira Empire stitched into it.

I made my way out again, however this time opposite to the Empress’s Chamber, towards the entrance of the palace. I got into my carriage, the one I always used with my mother.

Ahh, stop. You can’t cry in front of the citizens.

I was informed that father had already left. I have no idea how he could work after yesterday. Sebastian was coming along with me with the driver.

And mother is going in front of us, despite my angry protest to be with her, Sebastian told that no Royal family could be in the same vehicle as her right now.

Soon, the carriages left and my ears were filled with the screaming of the citizens. During the burial, commoners were not allowed inside. Only nobles have the privilege to be with us. 

“ROSE OF ZEMIRA!!!”

“ANGEL OF ZEMIRA!!!”

“EMPRESS HELENA!!!”

Various titles of mother were sung. It is understandable, mother always worked hard to help the commoners. Bringing in new rules in favor of commoners. She also despised the corrupt nobles. Thinking how brave she was in front of the public and how spoilt she was in front of me brought both tears and a smile. 

No, No, I have to be brave.

I forced the tears back into their places and leaned back to make sure no can see me. 

From the palace to the Royal crematory, millions of people gathered, throwing flowers, holding banners, singing songs, etc. This showed me how great of a figure mother was toward them.

I got down from the carriage and quickly made my way towards mother. All the nobles were present in a uniform manner. The whole area was enveloped with silence accompanied by occasional wind. No one dared to speak and stood in place with bouquets in hand.

Mother was slowly brought to the pit. The coffin she is placed in was completely made of gold. And yet everyone only had their eyes on the empress.

Father along with other high nobles joined with me. Father knelt and whispered into my ears,

“Do you have something you want to keep inside?”

“Yes, I do.”

I went closer to the coffin, only the sound of my shoes echoed thought the area. I bent over and placed one of the necklaces I had in my hand. 

“Mother, you promised me that you....would never...take this off...so please hang on to this forever…”, I couldn’t say anything more, tears once again rolled off my face.

“It’s okay...remember, Arthur...she will always live inside your heart…”, Father, told me as he placed his necklace next to mother. 

Once we both backed off, the Head Priest closed the lid of the coffin. That was the last time I saw her, the last time I saw the face of an angel.

With the coffin closed, all the nobles made their way to place the bouquets in front of the Empress. After that, they made their way to Father and me to convey their condolences.

“Please stay strong, your highness”

“If you want someone to listen to you, I am always available, your highness Arthur”

“When you’re ready, I am here for you, your highness.”

These were the lines spoken to me by various nobles. I know many of them are lip-service. But I have to nod my head to keep up the appearance.

Once everyone paid their respect, Mother was placed inside the pit. I, Father, and Mother’s parents were the only ones allowed to put dirt on top of mother’s coffin.

After this, everything became a daze, everyone including us was sent out of the crematory. Father, grandparents, and I made our way to the palace.

“Arthur, do you want to slee..”

“No, grandma, I’d rather be alone..”, I quickly cut off my grandmother and made my way to my room. She might act strong, but I know how broken she is right now. It’s better to have privacy.

I quickly made my way to the room, ordered the maids to stay outside, and closed the door leading to the hallway.

Tears quickly started to make their way to the floor. I sat down in front of the door, having no energy to move, started to cry loudly.

All I could remember during this moment was the peaceful smile she had during her final moments.

106